Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi2

So you are saying having Sancho solves our shambolic defense? for 120 million + addons? Seriously? We better spend the money were we need to reinforce...
Then why chase him all fecking summer?
Why not go for a CB. CDM and LB from the start?

This isnt just about Sancho, its about the dismal planning and lack of foresight and execution from the board all the way down for years plus the fact that we are now content with just getting top 4 ...a title bid is out of the question.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Right on, I don't judge :) cheers
Ironically, am in training mostly these days. :wenger:

On a serious note, how do you feel about it. You're happy to keep him I guess? Am asking you because Dortmund looked really good without him in last 2 games while not so great in the last one he played and 120 million is an awful lot of money.

Or to cut it short, do you truly believe he will be a world beater? Dortmund produce so many talents with their attacking football and many of them couldn't replicate it once they were sold.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
I’ve no real issue with the club deciding he’s not worth what Dortmund were asking for. The issue is that we appear to have known this since early August, and in the meantime have failed to even identify, let alone target, a single alternative right winger/forward for the role in the squad that Sancho was to have filled.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
If he was really arsed to come then he knew the drill - both Dembele and Aubameang worked their way out - should have thrown his toys out of the pram and made a scene.....was he really that bothered? Not sure......
Was never happening, Mason is far better, shoehorned into a right wing position. Give Mason a few years to develop. We don't need Sancho. We need a spine ffs.

Classical Mechanic

I’ve no real issue with the club deciding he’s not worth what Dortmund were asking for. The issue is that we appear to have known this since early August, and in the meantime have failed to even identify, let alone target, a single alternative right winger/forward for the role in the squad that Sancho was to have filled.
We’ve tried to sign Sarr and Dembele today and signed two 18 year old right wingers.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The misconception was, and with you obviously still is, that BD wanted to sell him. They didn't, at least not this summer. They had an agreement with Sancho that he could leave under specific circumstances. Once these weren't met, they called it off. Obviously, Ed, as all the muppets here, refused to understand this. Instead, he played an imaginary game of chicken, hoping for Dortmund's call like Trump was hoping for Covid to go away.
On the contrary if you believe the recent tweets trying to paint United in a negative light, we had one bid of £80m rejected before the deadline and that was the end of our chase. If that’s actually true, then Dortmund spent 6 weeks talking publicly about something that they knew was long over. If we had no contact with them and the transfer was long dead and buried, why were they continuing to run their mouth off as if we were trying to negotiate?

zizou81

Griezman or Sancho, who is the bigger loss? I really wanted both. Pogba and Griezman ..sigh what could have been...now sancho, martial, rashford and greenwood....what could have been

Brophs

The One and Only
Comment from Don Hutchison on the BBC text commentary, echoes a lot of our thoughts but of course we know certain people won't ever be held accountable

"I think whoever is in charge of getting signings over the line at Manchester United, never really had a clue what Borussia Dortmund were saying about Jadon Sancho. The deadline was going to be 10 August and the transfer fee was just over £100m and Man United went in with an opening bid of £80m, so straight away they are way off.

So Dortmund just kept saying 'this is the fee, this is the date and you need to match it'. They knew they had a dual on their hands because once he started playing again this season and is back up to speed, this time next year with a different market and different valuation, United will have to pay £120m for the kid.

I've got no idea how you can't get a deal over the line of that magnitude if you are Man United - one of the biggest clubs in the world. There are enough players in that United squad to generate a little bit of money - I'm talking £10-£15m - to make up the difference for the Sancho deal."
Firstly, that’s not really how it works. You don’t just chuck out multiple players from an already light squad to buy one player.

Also, it’s proven to be demonstrably not true. There isn’t a huge market for probably half of our squad.

I’m beginning to think that Don Hutchinson putting those Budweiser labels on his knob wasn’t an isolated moment of stupidity.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Just lock this thread. What’s the point of this? Let’s actually concentrate on the signings we’ve made.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Dortmund fans haVe laughed at the delusions of grandeur of the caf all season...

Fooza

Can I sign off in what is the longest thread for a player, I was part of the worse failed transfer in caf history.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
We’ve tried to sign Sarr and Dembele today and signed two 18 year old right wingers.
I don’t consider Sarr or the two young lads to be comparable or credible alternatives for the role we had in mind for Sancho - i.e. someone to walk straight into that gaping hole on the right side of our attack. Which is what we desperately needed. And Dembele was just a last-minute desperate punt which showcases the general incompetency. All this on 5th October too.

cyberman

The misconception was, and with you obviously still is, that BD wanted to sell him. They didn't, at least not this summer. They had an agreement with Sancho that he could leave under specific circumstances. Once these weren't met, they called it off. Obviously, Ed, as all the muppets here, refused to understand this. Instead, he played an imaginary game of chicken, hoping for Dortmund's call like Trump was hoping for Covid to go away.
What did Ed do? We didnt even bid!

tjb

There's a whole saga to be made out of this post-window. Press pack cant even wait for the official end to get started. Woodward, and by proxy, the club, will never hear the end of this.

All sorts of embellishments and fabrications can be made and we can effectively be the butt of all jokes with no way to counter or quell them.

Genius all round.
Honestly its a lot of nonsense for me. Madrid had sagas for De Gea and Pogba. Barcelona tried to sign Verrati and got Neymar stolen from them. City tried to sign Isco and failed. Lots of teams fail to sign players. Yet for some strange reason, we are the ones who are targeted because the signing we wanted didnt come. There are not many great right wingers playing in today's game that are available, and clearly due to the lockdown, we have not been able to come up with the fee that Dortmund want. Noone knows how we structured our other deals, whether they are in installments or not. Dortmund wanted most of the money upfront and clearly the hit we took financially could not let that happen. We tried, we failed, I don't see why that's an issue.

We all also agreed that there were not many great right wing options available, so when the deal for sancho failed, we focused on fixing our second biggest problem, depth in attack. We also managed to nab two highly touted right wingers, in the same way we signed Nani and Martial, whle supplying our attack with immediate depth. By the end of this window, we would have signed VDB, Cavani, Pellestri, Traore, Telles and gotten back Henderson. 5 additional players, who could start or eventually start for the club. Add that to the fact that we also signed a number of highly touted youngsters to the academy and its clear how much we improved. Yet missing out on Sancho, who if he came could also potentially become Joao Felix, Dembele, Coutinho or Hazard for us, is now seen as us failing to improve.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Agreed.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
On the contrary if you believe the recent tweets trying to paint United in a negative light, we had one bid of £80m rejected before the deadline and that was the end of our chase. If that’s actually true, then Dortmund spent 6 weeks talking publicly about something that they knew was long over. If we had no contact with them and the transfer was long dead and buried, why were they continuing to run their mouth off as if we were trying to negotiate?
Dortmund spent 6 weeks answering questions that were fueled by optimistic reports in the English press. As far as their side was concerned this wasn't a topic anymore after the deadline passed. The process was perfectly illustrated by Gary spending a week in their parking lot sending live "updates" asking his colleagues to ask questions about a transfer everyone told him wasn't going to happen.

Ranchero

The fact the Sancho deal did not happen is an embarrassment and just shows how low we have come in our standing as a football club. And how lousy those that do the deals for us are.

All those months, and nothing to show for it. Utterly pathetic. We are a laughing stock.

How do you spend weeks negotiating agents fees and personal terms and yet know that you are not going to pay Dortmund's price. It is as crazed and wayward as a Donald Trump press conference.

Classical Mechanic

I don’t consider Sarr or the two young lads to be comparable or credible alternatives for the role we had in mind for Sancho - i.e. someone to walk straight into that gaping hole on the right side of our attack. Which is what we desperately needed. And Dembele was just a last-minute desperate punt which showcases the general incompetency. All this on 5th October too.
They’ve failed to land a big fish for sure. It’s a messy window to say the least. Diallo looks very talented but who knows what he’ll be like in the senior. God only knows how the rest will turn out.

NinjaFletch

Given how hard Dortmund committed to that deadline in public and how nothing tangible happened afterwards it's not really a wild claim.
Sure, but it's not that in isolation I have an issue with.

Its the no mark upside down head waiting until October 5th when the deal is absolutely dead to reveal to everyone how, actually, he knew everything all along, how United were stupid for this reason and that reason, and another reason, and he can reveal it all, now, when there's absolutely no way whatsoever for it to backfire on him. A quick scour of his Twitter feed shows no indication he shared any of these insider scoops when they actually occured.

When you consider how the story he's telling is liberally sprinkled with just the exact sort of anti-United clickbait that sounds sort of plausible, but is ultimately unverifiable, and consider that he's a Liverpool fan, alarm bells should be ringing.

That's not to say we're not a fantastically incompetent club, we've seen more than enough to know we are already, but because we are it gives chancers the opportunity to write fan fiction about us, too. Everything about this whifs of the latter, and that can be true AND Sancho can be incredibly unlikely to ever play for us.

Bondi77

Anyone who thought we were going to spend 100mil on one player must be on some serious sh1t!

Stretender

Very correctly put.

passing-wind

I hope Sancho tears it up wherever he is next summer. This isn't a Ronaldinho case where we have SAF to unhinge a gem. We have nothing but the biggest jokers in charge.

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
as an outsider, this was easily the most amazing trasnfer thread I have ever witnessed.

wouldve been fantastic to see you land him last minute. wouldve hit another 1000+. sorry friends.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Were they really, though? Or wasn't it your side who just kept the story running...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Were they really, though? Or wasn't it your side who just kept the story running...
Eh? I’m talking about Dortmund officials talking on the record about United and Sancho, saying it can’t happened when apparently United already agreed with them and ended contact 6 weeks ago.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Ironically, am in training mostly these days. :wenger:

On a serious note, how do you feel about it. You're happy to keep him I guess? Am asking you because Dortmund looked really good without him in last 2 games while not so great in the last one he played and 120 million is an awful lot of money.

Or to cut it short, do you truly believe he will be a world beater? Dortmund produce so many talents with their attacking football and many of them couldn't replicate it once they were sold.
I have to seriously keep myself from gloating because I believe a small number of posters kind of had it coming. However it very much feels like kicking someone when they are down.

I am definitely happy to keep him though I really was rather sure he would stay. You never know though in football so a small uncertainty was always there, especially when following this thread where a lot of theories were thrown around.

I would not attribute the teams performance in the last two matches to him not playing. I was actually very happy to see that they were able to cope without him so well. I mean realistically he won't be here for more than the coming season. Concerning his talent and how I would expect him to do outside of Dortmund? Honestly I am not sure I have ever seen a player this mature at his age (footballing wise). The only one I was this sure about was Götze and we saw how that turned out :lol: (he did have health issues though). Keep in mind that at 31 I am not that old ;) I just think that his talents should translate to any league rather well. He is strong at beating a man or two, he has a brilliant eye for his teammates and he rarely makes a wrong decision under pressure. It is a joy to watch him play and I will follow his career wherever it may take him. That said, I believe any player in the world can be made to look shit when used in a setup that robs him of his strengths or when played in a team that does not perform as a unit. One thing I believe is very important for the management in Dortmund is to buy players that fit the playing style of the team and the philosophy of the club. If the team does not form a cohesive unit any player will have problems.

So overall, I don't watch overly much football from Italy, France or Spain, but I honestly believe Sancho is already one of the best players in the world in his position. I think any team should count themselves lucky to have him join them one day and if it does not work out it will not only be down to the player.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
They did not really do that? They did not speak about a potential Sancho transfer unprovoked since they called it off on August 11th. What you call "running their mouth off" was them answering interview questions with the same mantra over and over again: that Sancho stays this season. The only thing they started to add towards the end of the window was the confirmation of what they had already communicated via their media mouth piece Röckenhaus in the beginning of August: the existence of an agreement between player and club that if their terms (120 Miil. € until August 10th) were met, he was allowed to leave.

Let´s be real here for a second, the whole base of this saga was the before mentioned agreement. The willingness by Dortmund to open a window of opportunity to sign Sancho. Nobody took advantage of it so the matter was closed from Dortmunds side. United tried to chance their mind, it did not work. The rest of this whole saga was the English Sport press and Twitter "experts" fabricating vague statements to generate clicks, follows and retrweets.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Honestly its a lot of nonsense for me. Madrid had sagas for De Gea and Pogba. Barcelona tried to sign Verrati and got Neymar stolen from them. City tried to sign Isco and failed. Lots of teams fail to sign players. Yet for some strange reason, we are the ones who are targeted because the signing we wanted didnt come.
There are not many great right wingers playing in today's game that are available, and clearly due to the lockdown, we have not been able to come up with the fee that Dortmund want. Noone knows how we structured our other deals, whether they are in installments or not. Dortmund wanted most of the money upfront and clearly the hit we took financially could not let that happen. We tried, we failed, I don't see why that's an issue.

We all also agreed that there were not many great right wing options available, so when the deal for sancho failed, we focused on fixing our second biggest problem, depth in attack. We also managed to nab two highly touted right wingers, in the same way we signed Nani and Martial, whle supplying our attack with immediate depth. By the end of this window, we would have signed VDB, Cavani, Pellestri, Traore, Telles and gotten back Henderson. 5 additional players, who could start or eventually start for the club. Add that to the fact that we also signed a number of highly touted youngsters to the academy and its clear how much we improved. Yet missing out on Sancho, who if he came could also potentially become Joao Felix, Dembele, Coutinho or Hazard for us, is now seen as us failing to improve.
I don't think this thread is open for much longer and I'm pretty spent, so I'll bow out of a full reply.

Suffice it to say the clubs you cited, it's not a litany of disastrous transfer windows being compounded by a nadir like we've had now. Fans are at the end of their tether with how things are being handled and I think this 'saga' is the straw that broke the camel's back, not even for failing to land the player, but for how we've conducted ourselves and how scatterbrained we've been in the fallout.

Woodward is ripe for the picking because of compound interest/failure with this being his masterpiece; the ridicule and very probable downright lies that will come his/our way have been earned, unfortunately.

I don't think there's a way to spin this that doesn't make it look like a disaster. If we had a number and couldn't go beyond it, kill the story and move on, otherwise, why sign all those players before securing your #1 target - those funds getting you over the line in reaching the valuation. None of it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.