Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fridge chutney

Ed sucks but most of this "saga" was likely just bullshit from the press and Twitter clowns. Our club sells, unfortunately.

And while I am thoroughly unhappy with Woodward, I can understand the thought process behind not spending €120M on one player given the economic environment of sport. That's a huge risk outlay, especially given how recent massive-money signings have turned out so far (Dembele, Felix, Higuain, even Hazard to an extent).

We'll see what happens next summer.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
I think Dortmund is completely in their right to ask for that much, because they'd much rather hang on to him and challenge for trophies. We know they'll eventually sell, but with Gio Reyna's emergence, Haaland's first full season, and being able to keep Sancho now they have some exciting prospects ahead of them.

It's a shame though, all these pages for nothing and it really felt like he was there for the taking. Who knows how much that will have changed by next summer, especially if he keeps shining the way he has so far.
Nobody is disputing their right to set a fee, you are right about them challenging for a trophy as their squad is quite capable, for us, we offered around 91 million and they said no, it is not exactly a small amount either. For me I wanted Sancho as he is quite exciting but for that price, the RW position can still be handled by Greenwood/others players while we continue the clearout and use that money to have quality AND depth in our defense and hopefully a proper replacement for Matic. Judging by what we have seen so far this season, if we had 10 sanchos we would still lose with our shambolic defending...

Jaykespeare88

Seems like a big Eff You to Dortmund and any other club. Wont accept 120m we'll go and spend 110m on a couple other players and some hot prospects ready to come into the first team.

Fredo

You broke my heart!
No disrespect intended but maybe you should consider posting less and thinking more.
I would say the same about you, you've been nagging about a signing that we did not and will not make, get a grip and enjoy the players we ended up signing ;)

ravi2

I would say the same about you, you've been nagging about a signing that we did not and will not make, get a grip and enjoy the players we ended up signing ;)
This must be Neil Ashton's alt account. Keep defending Ed

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Time to take this thread out back & put it down. It’s been cruel to let it live this long.

K_Ash

any so called "sport journalist" that says "personal terms are agreed" without a transfer fee being agreed should be banned! folks, like Fabrizio Romano got himself a lot undeserved publicity

ReallyUSA

Ed sucks but most of this "saga" was likely just bullshit from the press and Twitter clowns. Our club sells, unfortunately.

And while I am thoroughly unhappy with Woodward, I can understand the thought process behind not spending €120M on one player given the economic environment of sport. That's a huge risk outlay, especially given how recent massive-money signings have turned out so far (Dembele, Felix, Higuain, even Hazard to an extent).

We all agree if they can't afford the 120 and fix other areas, don't. That doesn't excuse NOT having any other option when we had the most time EVER in the history of the league to set something up. Forcing Ole and the players to go with what we got after they were on FUMES a month ago. Praying that Greenwood can handle the load out of position is fecking childish. Doing nothing when the team lost 2 out of 3, one by five goals, is the opposite of what the players in that dressing room. Now, it's fecking clear they don't see a future in Ole so how can the players give a feck when the owners already gave up on him. Dembele became injured, Felix plays for the most anti-offensive manager to run a big club, and Hazard got 30 injuries. Jadon is 20. Even if he becomes injury prone or a dud for us, we can still get 80 million back like Barca almost did.

oreon

UTD could have easily briefed the media that there weren't in for Sancho and ended this saga but they did not. They played a game of chicken and hoped Dortmund would blink and Dortmund did not. And there's reason these rumours begin in the first place. UTD like to talk big but not deliver. Woodward was the one who said this club can do things in the transfer market that others can't. It was Ole who said that UTD were primed to take advantage of the covid market.
If UTD do not want to spend big then they need to shut it with all these bravado statements.

treble_winner

Our new signings have the hallmarks of the next Bebe/Obertan, unfortunately.

Prodigal7

Can we delete this thread now or at least move it from the transfer forum somewhere else? It's like looking at pictures of your ex.

Cloud7

Now that it’s all said and done, I have to say that the way we went about this transfer has to be the most ridiculous attempted transfer I’ve ever seen.

We have a player who is, at this point in time, the most valuable/second most valuable asset of a club in a fairly healthy financial position. We presumably knew from a long time now the figure that this club would want for said player, since it seems like this transfer is something we’ve been looking into for a while now. We then proceeded to spend the entire summer, whittling away the time, assuming that near the end of the transfer window, the selling club are going to magically accept a lower fee for their valuable asset because ??????reasons.

How on earth was this considered to be a viable strategy?

tjb

If sancho was that eager to come, he would have demanded a transfer. Enough of this self loathing. He is cool with staying at Dortmund, good for him. If he becomes available and we dont get him, good for him then too. We're too big to be moping about a player like him.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
People thinking this would even happen at all are very optimistic.

Ship has sailed. He will join another team next summer.
Yep this is done for ever. Bridges fully burnt.

Regardless of not even being in the CL next season, i doubt we would stand a chance now vs other non clown clubs, with both Sancho & Dortmund after what we pulled this summer.

I bet they were laughing their heads off at us behind the scenes.

We tried to bully Dortmund with our brain dead strategy and ended up further embarrassing ourselves instead.

Last edited:

tjb

Now that it’s all said and done, I have to say that the way we went about this transfer has to be the most ridiculous attempted transfer I’ve ever seen.

We have a player who is, at this point in time, the most valuable/second most valuable asset of a club in a fairly healthy financial position. We presumably knew from a long time now the figure that this club would want for said player, since it seems like this transfer is something we’ve been looking into for a while now. We then proceeded to spend the entire summer, whittling away the time, assuming that near the end of the transfer window, the selling club are going to magically accept a lower fee for their valuable asset because ??????reasons.

The truth, we probably had the money in full in april, gave an impressionable ll year that it would happen then found ourselves short of cash funds to make it happen. Dortmund didnt give us any leeway as they didnt feel the need to sell him especially in a difficult time to sign players, so gave us the run around.

Our only mistakes were holding out for so long (which teams have done succesfully) and briefing a toxic media. We did well to get the amount if talent we did in such a short period of time, call it panic buying, but the club clearly planned ahead on signing these players. Telles pallestri and traore have been touted for weeks.

The money we were going to spend on sancho was used to fund our biggest problem, depth. It's actually a win for me. If cavani proves to be what we know him to be, even better. People forget, it's his squabbles with neymar's and the shiny new toys psg have that are responsible for his lack of game time

Cloud7

Our only mistakes were holding out for so long (which teams have done succesfully)
Serious question, when has a tactic like this ever worked? I can't really think of any examples.

Cloud7

Berbatov was signed for, at the time, the record British transfer fee. I don't think you can call that United successfully holding out. If that's the case then you can call Madrid getting Ronaldo for 80 million as United blinking after Madrid held out as well :rolleyes:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I think the club did what they thought is the right decision. Usually they cave in for fan pressure and selling club dictates everything. I also understand we've signed two new youngsters to play in the right side in few years time. Not sure what to feel about this right now though.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.

Not just that, we also knew the specific deadline date we had to get the deal sorted long in advance, yet even after it passed, treated it like it was just a bluff by Dortmund, wasting all possible time for alternatives too.

The only scenario that makes any sense to me is that they were not serious to buy him from the very beginning.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The truth, we probably had the money in full in april, gave an impressionable ll year that it would happen then found ourselves short of cash funds to make it happen. Dortmund didnt give us any leeway as they didnt feel the need to sell him especially in a difficult time to sign players, so gave us the run around.

Our only mistakes were holding out for so long (which teams have done succesfully) and briefing a toxic media. We did well to get the amount if talent we did in such a short period of time, call it panic buying, but the club clearly planned ahead on signing these players. Telles pallestri and traore have been touted for weeks.

The money we were going to spend on sancho was used to fund our biggest problem, depth. It's actually a win for me. If cavani proves to be what we know him to be, even better. People forget, it's his squabbles with neymar's and the shiny new toys psg have that are responsible for his lack of game time
If anything we should probably give Ed Woodward a raise.

K_Ash

ultimately , paying 120M for a "faster" prime Mata when you have Greenwood playing there for now was not the best choice. Had any scout said a Mata with "Electric pace" then I would be really upset...too much Romano for nothing!

BlueHaze

If you think about it more thoroughly it really isn't. It's just the same pattern of sheer deluded and incompetent people derailing the club. Have you forgotten the Moyes window? First they tried to get Ronaldo back, then they chased Bale, then Fabregas and we ended up with neither. Keep in mind during this entire process Fellaini had a 23m£ buyout and after an entire summer of chasing targets and failing miserably they ended up signing said person with only minutes remaining of the window for an extra £5m. These are the clowns in charge of our club.

Cloud7

The truth, we probably had the money in full in april, gave an impressionable ll year that it would happen then found ourselves short of cash funds to make it happen
Also, how do we just suddenly find ourselves short of cash funds? These are multi million dollar industries. It's not a guy going down to the bar and realizing he has less money than he thought he did. The club's finances aren't a secret to anyone (financial reports available to all), especially not to the people in charge of the club.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Berbatov is more typically used as an example of that strategy not working, as we ended up having to pay a record fee anyway and disrupted his integration into the side. Hardly shrewd negotiating.

tjb

Sky used to run packages of sexy deadline day deals, with Harry Redknapp as the hero that made it happen. Now United are "embarassing and panic buying" when Woodward does it. I have a lot of gripes with him, but not for this. I honestly feel if we had signed Sancho early, the media and fans would be talking about how Real or johnny whatever club could get the deal for a much cheaper price yet they fleeced us. Tell us that we should have hold out longer. From January 2020 to July 2020, they were quiet as we were winning. "the bruno effect". It didnt take them even a month before the usual cloud of negativity from the press came to us about transfers and our fans bought it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If sancho was that eager to come, he would have demanded a transfer. Enough of this self loathing. He is cool with staying at Dortmund, good for him. If he becomes available and we dont get him, good for him then too. We're too big to be moping about a player like him.
Good advice. I only wish the club had followed it. Maybe instead of wasting time pining for someone they (like every other club in Europe) couldn't actually afford this summer, they could have signed an alternative.

BlueHaze

Calling it right now, he'll probably end up at Chelsea and they'll sell Ziyech or Hudson Odoi to make room.

tjb

Good advice. I only wish the club had followed it. Maybe instead of wasting time pining for someone they (like every other club in Europe) couldn't actually afford this summer, they could have signed an alternative.
This is true

SAFMUTD

I think this was our chance to get him, next summer we'll definitely face more competition. Once again we feck it up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Seems like a big Eff You to Dortmund and any other club. Wont accept 120m we'll go and spend 110m on a couple other players and some hot prospects ready to come into the first team.
I suppose you're kidding? Cause Dortmund is probably quite happy that they got to keep Sancho. And if United has now spent its money elsewhere, it might mean they won't be back next year either. Win-win for Dortmund, I'd think.

beingshe7don

I suppose you're kidding? Cause Dortmund is probably quite happy that they got to keep Sancho. And if United has now spent its money elsewhere, it might mean they won't be back next year either. Win-win for Dortmund, I'd think.
Let's all wait a year and watch Sancho score a couple goals for Liverpool against us in the PL.

prateik

If Dortmund really set a 120m non negotiable price paid at once any by 10th Aug... then I cant even pretend to be mad at us not signing him.

What I am mad at is us not signing anyone for the right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.