Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The ones who perform well who weren't anything special at club level were the inverse too, players who played in good set ups and teams who just lacked depth in a specific position. Point is that often times international managers get it wrong when they have a lot of options to pick from (Gerrard vs Lampard vs Scholes, Carrick being ignored, etc) as they're usually not very good managers. And I really don't see anything to suggest Southgate is a good manager. People using Sancho's exclusion from the squad to mean he's not as good as the attackers above him... does that mean that Trippier is also a better left back than Shaw or Chilwell?
You don't need to defend Sancho at this juncture in his career because he's still so young at 21 years old. He has plenty of time to make his mark at International level and his time will come most likely under a different head coach. Personally I would've liked to see us try a front 4 of Grealish, Foden, Sancho, behind Harry Kane but unfortunately it doesn't look like that will happen under the current coach.

WPMUFC

The only person I trust on twitter is Craig Norwood and the last time he tweeted was 2019.
Considering he didn't even break silence for a Fernandes tweet, i'm assuming he's moved onto new things / not in manchester anymore? Or just doesn't like the twitter attention.

dinostar77

Its been mentioned often by other clubs and agents that utd move at the speed of an iceberg when it comes to negotiations as Judge and Woodward cant actually sign anything off. It has to go to the glazers for final approval.

Makes a mockery of the whole process.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
You don't need to defend Sancho at this juncture in his career because he's still so young at 21 years old. He has plenty of time to make his mark at International level and his time will come most likely under a different head coach. Personally I would've liked to see us try a front 4 of Grealish, Foden, Sancho, behind Harry Kane but unfortunately it doesn't look like that will happen under the current coach.
Oh for sure, but there is the chance that he never does much at international level due to the competition and some ahead of him in the squad already being planted in their roles while being a similar age. Different managers bring different things as you say but I'm not sure if Southgate loves him for whatever reason. Read that Southgate previously put down his achievements in the Bundesliga because it's a lower standard of play... so... I dunno. Doesn't fill me with confidence. Especially as Southgate seemingly has fecking Saka above Sancho.

It's whatever that Sancho didn't start, England genuinely has excellent options there. The not being somewhat close to a starting spot or competing for one is the weird one. Ideally, if all were fit, I'd say England should do a midfield 3 of Mount and Grealish either side of Rice, and then either side of Kane have 1 inside forward (Rashford if fit would be best IMO), and then a creator on the other side like Sancho. Foden and Sterling still have that balance, but leaving Grealish out was probably the biggest travesty there. If he isn't playing in the midfield 3, he has to play on the left with a scorer type playing on the right IMO. Craziness. Sancho himself is brilliant but young, and while IMO i don't think there is a whole lot between Sancho and Grealish, I think Grealish would suit the England team and an international tournament more than Sancho with his style and what England lack. But if not Grealish than surely Sancho for his creativity.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Oh for sure, but there is the chance that he never does much at international level due to the competition and some ahead of him in the squad already being planted in their roles while being a similar age. Different managers bring different things as you say but I'm not sure if Southgate loves him for whatever reason. Read that Southgate previously put down his achievements in the Bundesliga because it's a lower standard of play... so... I dunno. Doesn't fill me with confidence. Especially as Southgate seemingly has fecking Saka above Sancho.

It's whatever that Sancho didn't start, England genuinely has excellent options there. The not being somewhat close to a starting spot or competing for one is the weird one. Ideally, if all were fit, I'd say England should do a midfield 3 of Mount and Grealish either side of Rice, and then either side of Kane have 1 inside forward (Rashford if fit would be best IMO), and then a creator on the other side like Sancho. Foden and Sterling still have that balance, but leaving Grealish out was probably the biggest travesty there. If he isn't playing in the midfield 3, he has to play on the left with a scorer type playing on the right IMO. Craziness. Sancho himself is brilliant but young, and while IMO i don't think there is a whole lot between Sancho and Grealish, I think Grealish would suit the England team and an international tournament more than Sancho with his style and what England lack. But if not Grealish than surely Sancho for his creativity.
I agree, but I think with Southgate at the helm we're likely not gonna see that come to fruition due to his approach to the game. I'm hoping we appoint someone with a more forward thinking approach to Southgate next up if we're to make best use of our biggest talents.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Alright I guess Cantona, Scholes and Giggs weren't great players? Or all the players from smaller countries who never got to do anything. Aguero being incredibly mediocre for Argentina. Messi failing to be successful with Argentina. And so on.

There is a debate, and it's one that has been shown time and time again for years and years to prove very little relevance to club level. Sure, if we're talking about a players legacy, it means more to have done it in International football. I'm not disputing that. But as a predictor for actual performances at club level? Means feck all. Genuinely feck all. So many players who showed up in the world cup/euro group stages with a few goals and got overhyped before getting a big transfer and doing nothing. feck, even for Bosnia, Besic got himself a transfer to Everton because Martinez loved him at the world cup only for him to look mediocre as he's a mediocre player whenever he played in the league or even the championship on loan. There are countless examples of why International football is a lower quality setting that is irrelevant as a gauge of player ability and how they'll play for a club, and a completely different world to club football.
Why are you listing Messi? He is Argentina’s record goalscorer and assist maker, and has won the golden ball at the World Cup and the Copa. How is that failing?

For the others, I guess it’s all about levels. You can be a great PL player. Or a great player in your position. Or a great player of your generation, regardless of position. Or one of the greatest players of all time. At the highest end, you need to do it at international level as well as club level. You can make allowances for players from small nations, but for everyone else, it’s a requirement.

SuperiorXI

Yep

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Does Nurse think he has to pay per word on Twitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.