Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemansky

Would be very foolish paying 115 million in this market. Go for alternatives if so.

Andy_Cole

Only the small matter of a pandemic that has seen a sizable portion of our income stream crash.
Under normal circumstances, I would be confident but these are not normal circumstances. If Dortmund don't budge on that figure or structure, this deal is not happening.
Sanchez was more expensive to us than the pandemic! As a money making machine this is the time where we will be able to get through this a lot easier than most clubs!

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
I don't get it. Did people expect anything less than 115m. Pre Covid the price being thrown around by the Caf was between 130-150m. Dortmund have no reason to reduce their valuation of him. I'm opening my mind that we won't get him because I don't see us spending 115m on him
The people in charge in Dortmund are smart and reasonable businessmen. They will re-evaluate Sancho’s price if they are in a Imminent need of more cash this summer. It’s make little sense to play hardball in a none existing market.

We spent £80m on Maguire. I don't see why we shouldn't spend £100m on Sancho when he's rated the second most valuable player in the world after Mbappe.

We need this. We can't be silly and cheapen out on a measly £10-15m. We have to take advantage of the current situation (like Chelsea) and but when others cannot. It's a time where City and Liverpool are not spending. Let's do it.
Splashing all of our cash reserves in one installment on one player and then relying on a new credit of 150m is exactly smart business.

Only the small matter of a pandemic that has seen a sizable portion of our income stream crash.
Under normal circumstances, I would be confident but these are not normal circumstances. If Dortmund don't budge on that figure or structure, this deal is not happening.
100% this!!!

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Would be very foolish paying 115 million in this market. Go for alternatives if so.
We won't break our transfer record in the same year we lose 100m due to covid and lots of smaller clubs could go out of business. Can you imagine the backlash.

Sancho 2021.

Womp

idiot
State backed clubs wouldn't be comfortable spending 112 million in this current climate, no-one is paying that. It ain't happening if they don't budge.

So many people seem to be head in the sand about how fecked everything is cause of covid.

We aren't immune to the effects.

crossy1686

career ending
No club at this climate would take him at that price, play the waiting game they're obviously bleeding with revenue loss.They should come down on price at some point.
We're in a fortunate position where the window is going to be extended but we don't know when it will open or close yet so we can just sit on our hands and keep the transfer saga rumbling on. Dortmund will want him gone by the time next season comes round and they'll have to sell to cover the money they've lost in this pandemic.

Josh 76

Spending 100m on a player is too risky.

Apart from Ronaldo and Bale, the rest have not really set the world on fire.

Neymar
Mbappe (Only player that is probably still worth value)
Felix
Couthino
Griezman
Dembele
Pogba
Hazard

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I’m sure he can be had for under £100 million.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
We're in a fortunate position where the window is going to be extended but we don't know when it will open or close yet so we can just sit on our hands and keep the transfer saga rumbling on. Dortmund will want him gone by the time next season comes round and they'll have to sell to cover the money they've lost in this pandemic.
Why would they need to cover that? If Sancho doesn't leave, there's no player they have to replace. A team that can nowadays spend 50-100 million per window on new players isn't suddenly in a financial crisis because of corona. As everyone, they have less budget for new signings but that's it if you ask me. Thing is, next year the prices in the summer will probably again be at pre-corona levels. If not next summer, then definitely in two years. Clubs would be mental to sell their biggest assets with a corona discount if that discount may be obsolete just one year later. If indeed nobody offers more than 80 million, they can probably wait another year until the market has recovered and sell him for the same price with just one year left on his contract.

Also, if you ask me, if a club buys him for around 110 million, it already got a corona discount. Felix moved for around 130, Mbappe for 200 million, Havertz was deemed around 120 million before the shutdown. If you ask me, Sancho is the biggest talent from all those young players. Even taking Mbappe out of the equation because god knows where PSG got all that money from in that summer, Sancho should cost at least around 150 million in pre-pandemic times.

cyberman

Why would they need to cover that? If Sancho doesn't leave, there's no player they have to replace. A team that can nowadays spend 50-100 million per window on new players isn't suddenly in a financial crisis because of corona. As everyone, they have less budget for new signings but that's it if you ask me. Thing is, next year the prices in the summer will probably again be at pre-corona levels. If not next summer, then definitely in two years. Clubs would be mental to sell their biggest assets with a corona discount if that discount may be obsolete just one year later. If indeed nobody offers more than 80 million, they can probably wait another year until the market has recovered and sell him for the same price with just one year left on his contract.

Also, if you ask me, if a club buys him for around 110 million, it already got a corona discount. Felix moved for around 130, Mbappe for 200 million, Havertz was deemed around 120 million before the shutdown. If you ask me, Sancho is the biggest talent from all those young players. Even taking Mbappe out of the equation because god knows where PSG got all that money from in that summer, Sancho should cost at least around 150 million in pre-pandemic times.
Next summer wont be pre corona prices. This crisis is born out of 2 months left of the season so add in the vast majority (at best) next season on top of that then the cash reserves simply isnt there.

These losses are just the tip of the iceberg. We are about to see what an entire season of this brings.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Next summer wont be pre corona prices. This crisis is born out of 2 months left of the season so add in the vast majority (at best) next season on top of that then the cash reserves simply isnt there.

These losses are just the tip of the iceberg. We are about to see what an entire season of this brings.
I agree - we are unlikely to see another £100million player for quite a few years.

Mani

You never going to see these kind of prices for other two or three years least, club can wait to sell but can a player wait until then?No, especially Sancho who's mind is already set elsewhere.

Adamsk7

Clubs aren’t gonna spend 100m on one player for quite some time. It’s too risky considering match day revenue is no longer a guarantee in 2020 or 2021.

flappyjay

Just checked and over the past 3 years we have made just over 100m a year on match day revenue. Certainly spending 100m on a player in these circumstances would be very irresponsible. It kind of scares me that we are going to lose that much revenue, we should be focused on reducing costs like wages on players like Alexis, Jones, Rojo etc.

If empty stadiums continue into next year would it be surprising to go back to when stars were bought for 30-40m?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just checked and over the past 3 years we have made just over 100m a year on match day revenue. Certainly spending 100m on a player in these circumstances would be very irresponsible. It kind of scares me that we are going to lose that much revenue, we should be focused on reducing costs like wages on players like Alexis, Jones, Rojo etc.

If empty stadiums continue into next year would it be surprising to go back to when stars were bought for 30-40m?
That is what we could be looking at yes - the bubble has burst.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I doubt that. We're speaking of clubs that can afford spending 200 million on transfers every window pre-corona. And when the leagues are playing again, the revenue stream they lose is the ticketing - which gets less important year after year. Also, many giants are in need of fresh signings right now. Deals like Sancho or Havertz can determine the fate of a club for a decade, see exemplarily the Cristiano signings. I think those top end transfers are less affected by the market crash. Those mid tier players will drop in price significantly since their clubs may be in uncomfortable financial situations (no reserves, ticketing is a more important revenue stream etc) and top clubs will focus on the players they really, really need instead of those they "could use".

As an example: Since winning La Decima in 2015, Real Madrid has spent a total of around 270 million on transfers (net value). The only big signing since then was Hazard. That's it. And that's the galactico club which broke multiple transfer records in a row. They definitely got enough reserves to afford such a transfer. And I don't think United for example are in a much worse financial position.

Also, the behaviour of selling clubs speaks for itself, if you ask me. According to reports, we just refused an offer of 80 million plus a one year loan deal for Havertz. That's basically a deal which means "we guarantee you that we buy him for 80 million with just one year left on his contract next year". Even pre-corona, that would've been a good deal. I doubt we would deny such an offer if we were insecure about finding some club that'll meet our initial demands.

flappyjay

Have you seen how much we would lose in revenue if we played all of next season in an empty stadium? In this climate 100m is the new 200m, could even be more.

gajender

Too much over reaction over the Impact of Covid-19 on the finances of the Club most thought season was finished but season would be restarting soon and however unlikely it seems at the moment to allow matchday fans at the Stadiums it could happen sooner rather than later.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You never going to see these kind of prices for other two or three years least, club can wait to sell but can a player wait until then?No, especially Sancho who's mind is already set elsewhere.
Well, they don't really have a choice as long as they are under contract, have they?

cyberman

Yeah, everything has been reset. The idea that we are suddenly going back to normal next season after clubs having to blaze through their savings and credit is ridiculous.
Sancho is not above the market. It may hurt Dortmund who envisioned the money already in their pockets but that is dead now. Their buy young and sell high strat is dead in the water.
Every club who relies on that needs a rethink. It could really hurt lower league sides who rely on this approach

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think people are over worrying about the COVID situation, we could cover that by selling Rojo/Sanchez/Jones.

The squad needs it's fat trimming anyway and adding Sancho is a no brainer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Think people are over worrying about the COVID situation, we could cover that by selling Rojo/Sanchez/Jones.

The squad needs it's fat trimming anyway and adding Sancho is a no brainer.
Out of the clubs they themselves would even consider signing for, who in their right mind would sign any of those right now!?

Mani

Well, they don't really have a choice as long as they are under contract, have they?
HIs contract expires in other two years, would they be happy to let him go on free after two years or they would go after the best offer that they get now?

Adam-Utd

Out of the clubs they themselves would even consider signing for, who in their right mind would sign any of those right now!?
Many premier league clubs would take Jones, he'd probably walk into the Arsenal defence right now and many others in the lower half like Palace, Newcastle etc.

Rojo is apparently going back to Argentina, Boca Juniors want him ( doubt we'd get more than 5-10m)

Sanchez seems to want to stay at Inter, we probably would get a small fee to negate the wages.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
HIs contract expires in other two years, would they be happy to let him go on free after two years or they would go after the best offer that they get now?

If you can sell him for 80m now in a crashed market or in one year for 70m in a recovered market, what would you do?

This would only make sense if Dortmund would be planning to spend big so that they could also profit from the deflated prices. And I doubt that they're going to reinvest the whole sum immediately. They have his replacement already in line with Reyna and Moukoko is probably joining the team in November, too.

RUCK4444

I wouldn't worry, I know the numbers are somewhat scary but we are one of the biggest sporting brands in the world. Worst case we would loan ourselves back out of any mess, would just reset the little progress we've made in lowering the club debt.

It's a lot harder for a club/brand of our size to go under compared to your average club. I'm not saying we are immune, of course we will be hit in the pocket like all teams, we just have the means to get out of the hole.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you can sell him for 80m now in a crashed market or in one year for 70m in a recovered market, what would you do?

This would only make sense if Dortmund would be planning to spend big so that they could also profit from the deflated prices. And I doubt that they're going to reinvest the whole sum immediately. They have his replacement already in line with Reyna and Moukoko is probably joining the team in November, too.
In one year Sancho will be 6 months away from signing a pre contract with someone else on a free. It's reported he's unwilling to sign a new contract and wants out. This pandemic has come at a bad time for them and the longer they keep him the more they lose control.

Mani

I doubt club would be ready to shell out 70m for player who's contract about to expire in one year, Sancho might be exception considering his age plus there might be other takers too.
Dortmund never going to reinvest whole thing instead they would go for those those cheaper young talents like they usually do.

Giggsy13

We won't break our transfer record in the same year we lose 100m due to covid and lots of smaller clubs could go out of business. Can you imagine the backlash.

Sancho 2021.
The Club should be more worried about the backlash of failing to field a title contender since Sir Alex. We need to be ruthless. Chelsea have moved swiftly to secure two targets already so we can’t worry about the morals of doing business in this window.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In one year Sancho will be 6 months away from signing a pre contract with someone else on a free. It's reported he's unwilling to sign a new contract and wants out. This pandemic has come at a bad time for them and the longer they keep him the more they lose control.
So you think Sancho would wait another two years to switch clubs?

See, in the end, Dortmund is in a quite comfortable position. They're the only party in this whole situation which can live with the transfer not happening. Sancho wants a move in the summer, the top clubs want to secure the probably best player of the next decade alongside Mbappe.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Sancho leaving on a free is completely unrealistic. He may be fuming if the move doesn't happen and maybe his party will try to play this card but in the end, Dortmund knows that he'll want to leave in 2021. Now, usually it is best practice to sell a player with two years on his contract because one year significantly reduces the fee. However, corona happened and the prices fell. This is a unique situation in which the remaining years on the contract won't make a huge difference.

I mean it's possible that Sancho will try to force his way out through boycotting training etc. but Dortmund has experience with such situations. They can stand the heat. If that happens, it will probably end how it ended with Dembele - Dortmund still got what they demanded.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I doubt club would be ready to shell out 70m for player who's contract about to expire in one year, Sancho might be exception considering his age plus there might be other takers too.
Dortmund never going to reinvest whole thing instead they would go for those those cheaper young talents like they usually do.
You don't? Sancho would've costed around 150+m pre-corona. Do you believe in a recovered market, Sancho with one year left on his contract would be worth less than 40% of that?

I'm not even sure that'll play a role at all with such a player. Sancho won't want to wait for another year. That leads to a very uncomfortable position for buyers because he'll choose the top club that'll meet Dortmund's demands. That's game theory. If every club would play their part and stick to the rules, they could bully Dortmund into selling for a low price. But only one who breaks with that and a bedding war will emerge.

In the end, I think if he really wants to move that badly, he'll move this summer for around 120m. Considering that he's in the same region of talent as Mbappe, that already includes a huge corona discount.

Mani

You don't? Sancho would've costed around 150+m pre-corona. Do you believe in a recovered market, Sancho with one year left on his contract would be worth less than 40% of that?

I'm not even sure that'll play a role at all with such a player. Sancho won't want to wait for another year. That leads to a very uncomfortable position for buyers because he'll choose the top club that'll meet Dortmund's demands. That's game theory. If every club would play their part and stick to the rules, they could bully Dortmund into selling for a low price. But only one who breaks with that and a bedding war will emerge.

In the end, I think if he really wants to move that badly, he'll move this summer for around 120m. Considering that he's in the same region of talent as Mbappe, that already includes a huge corona discount.
I don't thing any club would in position to shell out 150+ even in the pre corona period.Problem with every other club right now is they don't have proper revenue stream to meet Dortmund's demand which means those clubs which are in better position during the pre corona period are not in position to meet the Dortmund's demand right now, so obviously they have to come down on price on which only few clubs would be able to match it, 120m could be the price Dortmund demand but can you list down clubs other than United that can match the asking ? Real could be one but their priorities are elsewhere.

Adam-Utd

I don't thing any club would in position to shell out 150+ even in the pre corona period.Problem with every other club right now is they don't have proper revenue stream to meet Dortmund's demand which means those clubs which are in better position during the pre corona period are not in position to meet the Dortmund's demand right now, so obviously they have to come down on price on which only few clubs would be able to match it, 120m could be the price Dortmund demand but can you list down clubs other than United that can match the asking ? Real could be one but their priorities are elsewhere.
You forget that while Sancho might be sold for cheaper, so will Dortmunds targets. They can sign some replacements for dirt cheap and then make a huge profit on Sancho, and not keep an unhappy player.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So you think Sancho would wait another two years to switch clubs?

See, in the end, Dortmund is in a quite comfortable position. They're the only party in this whole situation which can live with the transfer not happening. Sancho wants a move in the summer, the top clubs want to secure the probably best player of the next decade alongside Mbappe.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? Sancho leaving on a free is completely unrealistic. He may be fuming if the move doesn't happen and maybe his party will try to play this card but in the end, Dortmund knows that he'll want to leave in 2021. Now, usually it is best practice to sell a player with two years on his contract because one year significantly reduces the fee. However, corona happened and the prices fell. This is a unique situation in which the remaining years on the contract won't make a huge difference.

I mean it's possible that Sancho will try to force his way out through boycotting training etc. but Dortmund has experience with such situations. They can stand the heat. If that happens, it will probably end how it ended with Dembele - Dortmund still got what they demanded.
Sancho could wait one year because for the 2020/21 season the ball will be in Dortmunds court. And if Dortmund do decide to keep him for one more season then that opens up the extremely lucrative free transfer option for Sancho that will make him a fortune. It could well be in Sancho's interest to walk on a free due to the riches on offer and he'll still be very young.

romufc

Sancho could wait one year because for the 2020/21 season the ball will be in Dortmunds court. And if Dortmund do decide to keep him for one more season then that opens up the extremely lucrative free transfer option for Sancho that will make him a fortune. It could well be in Sancho's interest to walk on a free due to the riches on offer and he'll still be very young.
That is such a risky move. If he waits till his contract expires, BVB will not be playing him weekly knowing he could leave on a free.

2 years in football is a very long time, loss of form, injuries, never know what can happen. With the riches on offer, there are only a handful clubs that offer those wages.

BVB will probably thinking, will there be clubs in for Sancho next season? Like now, if we are willing to wait one season, next season other clubs will be willing to wait and take him on a free.

I cannot imagine a team next year saying we will spend £120m on sancho when wait a year and he will come on a free. With age on his side, teams can afford to wait another year or two.

GiddyUp

Reducing wages doesn't contribute to goals on the pitch.

TrueRed79

There is just no way we are pay £115M for a player this summer. Unless its something like £85M up front and rest in bonus related payments then this isn't happening IMO. Besides, he isn't worth that type of money in the first place. Would love him here but at that price we could shore up our MF options and buy a different right sided option. Think Dortmund will cave on price in the end though. We aren't that desperate for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.