Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Anyone that thinks we don’t need him — Greenwood isn’t a winger and doesn’t have the instincts to play out wide. We absolutely need a right winger. Badly.

ROFLUTION

Unfortunately we don’t set the price. Dortmund do and that’s the price they are willing to let go. It’s a simple concept of demand and supply.
Sure but where will the next suitor be at 120m this year? Doubt Newcastle can attract him, Pep never spends that much, PSG have not gone crazy for a while. Spanish clubs are having a hard time.

If they wait another year and hold out for 120m I doubt demand will push it to that price next year. Clubs will convince him on personal terms like with Sanchez, and then it could be difficult for Dortmund to even decide the club or whether he will just pull an Eriksen and see out his contract. There's many cons of holding on for another year.

Heck he could have a meh-season like Pulisic at Dortmund and go for 50-70m

80m + 20m incentives seems fair in my view

zenith

Anyone that thinks we don’t need him — Greenwood isn’t a winger and doesn’t have the instincts to play out wide. We absolutely need a right winger. Badly.
Exactly this.

Greenwood is striker with great finishing skills but on the flanks we need more creativity so that teams cannot defend against just one side and are stretched enough to leave space for a clever striker like greenwood to use his best attributes

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
More evidence yet again tonight that blowing our entire budget on Sancho, as great as he is, may not be the wisest idea.

We need 3 or 4.

Womp

idiot
More evidence yet again tonight that blowing our entire budget on Sancho, as great as he is, may not be the wisest idea.

We need 3 or 4.
Disagree. What we need is a better manager and one or two squad players who can do a job. Maybe a top CB, but that's not as big a priority to me as Sancho. Given how poor our style of football is, we need as much quality in attack as possible.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hope he stopped watching our games recently :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
And you think you can get 3 or 4 players for 100m?
Maybe for 120, 130m....yes. Players are moving for a bit less this summer.

Need a competent left back to come in. I like Shaw but when he's out we look hopeless.

Desperate for a CB. Lindelof is utter shite.

DM. Need another one. Matic is way too old to play every game and he's not even that great anyway.

Maybe try and get Bale on loan for a season and wait for Sancho. The money all going on Sancho is going to solve one problem which Mason is showing isn't as big a problem as a few others.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
We need Sancho and a MF at the bare minimum. Hopefully we sell Pogba and get another MF then.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Need a competent left back to come in. I like Shaw but when he's out we look hopeless.

DM. Need another one. Matic is way too old to play every game and he's not even that great anyway.

Maybe try and get Bale on loan for a season and wait for Sancho. The money all going on Sancho is going to solve one problem which Mason is showing isn't as big a problem as a few others.
So to answer my question then it's a no

joedirt87

having too much fun golfing and sitting on the bench. He'd play 1 game here before shattering.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Disagree. What we need is a better manager and one or two squad players who can do a job. Maybe a top CB, but that's not as big a priority to me as Sancho. Given how poor our style of football is, we need as much quality in attack as possible.
Mason Greenwood isn't letting us down is he?

I'd say our defence is showing its where the money needs to go yet again.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Some days all of the front 3 aren't up for it, that happens. The competition would be another level if he comes.
Nobody is denying that but we'd still have Lindelof at CB, no back up for Shaw, no back up for Matic.

Obviously we want Sancho. I'm just playing devils advocate here. The money might need to go elsewhere.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Nobody is denying that but we'd still have Lindelof at CB, no back up for Shaw, no back up for Matic.

Obviously we want Sancho. I'm just playing devils advocate here. The money might need to go elsewhere.
The season we bought Pogba, we also brought Mkhitaryan, Bailly and Zlatan. Not sure why people think making 1 big signing will prevent 3 more.

Womp

idiot
Mason Greenwood isn't letting us down is he?

I'd say our defence is showing its where the money needs to go yet again.
1. We need rotation. 2. Sancho is currently better than Greenwood, not to add offers something completely different. Is a more creative player, which is something we desperately need in this team. 3. Greenwood has shown, given his age and experience, he can struggle in games, he's learning the game. See how ineffective he's been the past few games.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
1. We need rotation. 2. Sancho is currently better than Greenwood, not to add offers something completely different. Is a more creative player, which is something we desperately need in this team. 3. Greenwood has shown, given his age and experience, he can struggle in games, he's learning the game. See how ineffective he's been the past few games.
We also need a new CB, new left back, new DM too. That's the issue.

Be fantastic if we only needed Sancho. We don't though. We need a lot more.

In Rainbows

Donny van de Beek is rated around 40, City are getting Ferran Torres for 30-35, and Ake for 30-35. thats around 100 million pound.
And in 2021/22, which team will be better? The one with Sancho, or the one you just came up with? You're prioritizing next season like it's do or die. With Sancho, we get the utmost quality. We can fill in depth in those areas next summer.

We don't know what our depth will look like next year. Maybe Mejbri, Laird, and Garner give us adequate depth making it easier to spend big on a CB the following summer.

I just think people are forgetting that we don't need to fix everything in one go. Sancho gives us quality, and at the same time depth in the attacking area. I still think we can make another depth signing to go along with him, but that it would depend on CL and selling some of our players.

RUCK4444

And in 2021/22, which team will be better? The one with Sancho, or the one you just came up with? You're prioritizing next season like it's do or die. With Sancho, we get the utmost quality. We can fill in depth in those areas next summer.

We don't know what our depth will look like next year. Maybe Mejbri, Laird, and Garner give us adequate depth making it easier to spend big on a CB the following summer.

I just think people are forgetting that we don't need to fix everything in one go. Sancho gives us quality, and at the same time depth in the attacking area. I still think we can make another depth signing to go along with him, but that it would depend on CL and selling some of our players.
I was on your page until the last few games. I think CB is becoming an ever more pressing issue for us.

That said I would still pursue Sancho as the no1 target, we can't let the opportunity slip to secure him for RW. And I agree we need the depth and additional talent in attack.

But the defence is looking messy. It could become a major issue next season if Maguire or Lindelof (who I don't particularly rate that much anyway) get injured and we are relying on the likes of Bailly. It could undo a lot of our progress. Therefore after Sancho a quality, quick CB is a close 2nd in order of priority. IMO.

drmuji

Mark Goldbridge is pushing the Sancho story, he has sources and everything. His scoops are slightly ahead of the predictable timeline as well.

Only problem lies in the reply to this..

I dont remember exactly but wasn't Goldbridge also banned from caf. That was a long time ago though. And I may be mixing him with some other Goldbridge guy as well...

Scholsey2004

We also need a new CB, new left back, new DM too. That's the issue.

Be fantastic if we only needed Sancho. We don't though. We need a lot more.
CB, LB and DM aren't at all pressing. We've got the third best defensive record in the league and just the fifth best attack. We've scored 18 less than Liverpool and 33 less than city whereas we've conceded four more than Liverpool and just one more than City. It's obvious where we most need to improve.

Scholsey2004

I’d be starting Sancho on the left at this rate
There's an argument that we could play him as a 10 with Bruno in midfield. Pogba had a few good games since the restart but he seems to be regressing again. He's oddly vulnerable to the press for such a technically gifted play.

Bojan11

Then sell players. I know one big name player in midfield I’d let go because I’m fed up of him. If Madrid come in for him get rid and use that money to buy two players.

3KDré

The season we bought Pogba, we also brought Mkhitaryan, Bailly and Zlatan. Not sure why people think making 1 big signing will prevent 3 more.
Covid? Although I do agree I think we will make more than 1 but I can't see it being more than 2 maybe 3 at a push.

beingshe7don

Who here thinks if we get Sancho, he may end up benching Rashford instead and we may end up playing Sancho - Martial - Greenwood a lot more.

Godfather

Who here thinks if we get Sancho, he may end up benching Rashford instead and we may end up playing Sancho - Martial - Greenwood a lot more.
Would be the right move when Rashford is in a form like this. I somewhat doubt Ole would do it though.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
CB, LB and DM aren't at all pressing. We've got the third best defensive record in the league and just the fifth best attack. We've scored 18 less than Liverpool and 33 less than city whereas we've conceded four more than Liverpool and just one more than City. It's obvious where we most need to improve.
Tbf though had Bruno n Pogba played all season along with Grenwood we'd probably be a lot closer in goals scored too.

The squad depth is shocking. Shaw is our only competent left back and he's not exactly reliable fitness wise.

Matic is still not good enough. Had a few months of decent football and people fall into the trap that he's prime Makalele. He's just not good enough anymore. Been awful last 3 or 4 games too.

CB is a joke. Lindelof fails time after time. Did you see him for the penalty last night. He wasn't even in the front of the wall and he was cowering. That's not a CB I want playing for us. He's not brave enough, fast enough or strong enough to be a top CB.

We desperately need another CB, LB n DM. We won't get close to the top 2 with this squad.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
We're where we are because of the first half of the season. Adding Sancho to think team would do wonders because we don't get consistent quality from out wide. Once we have this quality, we don't then need to rely on our full backs so much. We got our goal from great play through the middle but we had nothing on the sides. Greenwood had one moment, for the Ighalo miss but other then that we need the extra quality.

I think we should play youth in the cups and focus on the League and Europe.

AneRu

Tbf though had Bruno n Pogba played all season along with Grenwood we'd probably be a lot closer in goals scored too.

The squad depth is shocking. Shaw is our only competent left back and he's not exactly reliable fitness wise.

Matic is still not good enough. Had a few months of decent football and people fall into the trap that he's prime Makalele. He's just not good enough anymore. Been awful last 3 or 4 games too.

CB is a joke. Lindelof fails time after time. Did you see him for the penalty last night. He wasn't even in the front of the wall and he was cowering. That's not a CB I want playing for us. He's not brave enough, fast enough or strong enough to be a top CB.

We desperately need another CB, LB n DM. We won't get close to the top 2 with this squad.
Whilst I agree with that I think there is no point in buying a DM and keeping both Fred and McTominay so may be we should sell on of the two who is saleable to fund the acquisition of a DM. Because if we get a back up to Matic it means that one of the two won't be playing much football and that would affect his value.

The same also applies with a CB, if we are buying a starting CB that means we'd have Maguire, new CB, Lindelof, Bailly and Axel. Presumably Jones and Smalling are goners which should bring us another £20m which would help in funding the signing of the CB.

So all in all we should have a situation where the club wholly funds the signing of Sancho and implements a one in one out policy with the rest. For example we could get £60m from the sell of Fred, Rojo, Smalling and Jones and could sign someone like Rice with that or Koopmeiners for £30m to £35m then supplement the purchase of a CB for around £40m with loan fees for players like Sanchez, Lingard etc.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Whilst I agree with that I think there is no point in buying a DM and keeping both Fred and McTominay so may be we should sell on of the two who is saleable to fund the acquisition of a DM. Because if we get a back up to Matic it means that one of the two won't be playing much football and that would affect his value.

The same also applies with a CB, if we are buying a starting CB that means we'd have Maguire, new CB, Lindelof, Bailly and Axel. Presumably Jones and Smalling are goners which should bring us another £20m which would help in funding the signing of the CB.

So all in all we should have a situation where the club wholly funds the signing of Sancho and implements a one in one out policy with the rest. For example we could get £60m from the sell of Fred, Rojo, Smalling and Jones and could sign someone like Rice with that or Koopmeiners for £30m to £35m then supplement the purchase of a CB for around £40m with loan fees for players like Sanchez, Lingard etc.
Fred n Mctomminay are the main back ups. We can't afford to sell either. It's Periera, Lingard, Mata who all need to leave first. That's the deadwood.

We need another DM to play instead of / or rotate with Matic. Then Fred n Mctomminay can come in for Pogba or Bruno from time to time (not at the same time obviously). So if Bruno sits one game out we can move Pogba to the more attacking role and bring in Fred for example.

I think Sancho is top drawer but my biggest worry is that he's going to take up all of our budget and we will still have several issues in other roles.

AneRu

Fred n Mctomminay are the main back ups. We can't afford to sell either. It's Periera, Lingard, Mata who all need to leave first. That's the deadwood.

We need another DM to play instead of / or rotate with Matic. Then Fred n Mctomminay can come in for Pogba or Bruno from time to time (not at the same time obviously). So if Bruno sits one game out we can move Pogba to the more attacking role and bring in Fred for example.

I think Sancho is top drawer but my biggest worry is that he's going to take up all of our budget and we will still have several issues in other roles.
Problem is you won't get much from this lot unless of course Inter blink and give us €20m for Sanchez. Sancho is a must get because I wouldn't want another Hazard situation where we miss out on the real deal then end up spending more on flops whilst he is raking up titles and awards at a rival.

In midfield, we have Pogba, Matic, McTominay and Fred for two positions. McTominay does well as a replacement for Pogba because he is a defensive box to box mid who can drive the ball, obviously not as good. What we don't have is a calming presence who is good on and off the ball to come in for Matic; Fred isn't the complete package in this role and he is the one I'd sell to bring in someone that can deputize Matic bringing in the same attributes - defensively sound and able to progress play from the defensive phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.