Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Think it'll probably be done for £100m the more I think about it.

If we did offer £90, and they want £110, then it's just a matter of time before we meet down the middle, surely.

Gazza

If it was a player from some random nation like Nikaragua (no disrespect here, just an example), it’s one thing. But if it’s another big football nation (think Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Brazil...) - it’s also good for marketing, also good (if not better) national team to play in...
You didn't understand his point about the national team, I think

midnightmare

and thats fine. Its an opportunity cost the club will have to weigh up, but its why i think fans harp on transfer fees because we have a budget and they want the club to get the most out of the budget
Which is what I don’t get. It’s like saying you’d rather have an F1 team with three Toyotas than one Mercedes. A bit useless beyond the illusion of better probability of a win.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I have watched Sancho a lot for Dortmund, especially in the CL and particularly his first half season where he broke out.

He tends to do better with space, he's good at dribbling in close spaces but he's not an explosive dribbler. He's exceptional at assisting.

I just worry that in certain games, e.g. against Spurs in the CL last year, he was very ineffective. He's a top player but there is a chance he struggles like Kagawa and Mikhi does. Hence the price. Is the news today not that we offered £89m and Dortmund rejected that and want £120m?

Maximin I say would suit the league more physically only as I've watched Newcastle a lot and he dribbles like Mane, with pace and power and direction, and that's hard to defend against. His end product is nowhere near Sancho's, but from what I've seen he has a footballing brain so it can be improved.
Where are people getting this from? from a standing start he's lightning fast. Sancho's style is more stop/start similarly to Hazard which is maybe what gives you that impression, but when he turns on the speed he is very quick, "explosive" even.

No Love

So what time is his first interview as a Utd player being released this evening?

DSG

If anyone pays over 100million for a player is a fool. Covid19 will affect earning globally, it affect all nations and clubs. Nobody will sanction such a deal, I think we will likely off 70-80 million plus add-on. Surely there is a player who cost half that can do a job. Sarr can still improve, he is not a finish article. 2-3 more years, we got ourselves another respectable winger.
Yeah. Mbappe for 160m. Boy, he flopped, didn’t he? PSG are a bunch of clowns!

M16Red

I just don't understand this approach at all. Why would anybody prefer a guy like Ikone over a player like Sancho? Those players operate in different universes. I'd rather splash 100m on a 20-year-old superstar in the making than 30m on a squad option that doesn't improve us a whole lot.
Drive up the cost to Dortmund? Have you ever played Roulette, spread the bets and drive up the prices.

Giggsy13

Conflicting reports, checking my phone way too often for updates, the emotional rollercoaster etc. We are all in the muppet zone.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Drive up the cost to Dortmund? Have you ever played Roulette, spread the bets and drive up the prices.
How would that ever help us? it'll either make them demand more or just refuse to sell all together.

Bosws87

If anyone pays over 100million for a player is a fool. Covid19 will affect earning globally, it affect all nations and clubs. Nobody will sanction such a deal, I think we will likely off 70-80 million plus add-on. Surely there is a player who cost half that can do a job. Sarr can still improve, he is not a finish article. 2-3 more years, we got ourselves another respectable winger.
Your talking like Sancho is the finished article hes 20 years old himself :lol:

Infra-red

Now that the domestic season is over and CL football has been secured, I expect we'll begin the process of negotiating with Dortmund.

Given the sums involved, you would expect this to take a few weeks at least, but it does seem that he is our our top target this summer, so you'd expect us to get there eventually (and in any event, hopefully before the new season kicks off).

HowYouDoin

Unpopular opinion but I dont want him. And definitely not for that price.
What I wanted were nice veteran backups like Cavani and Perisic to add some veteran leadership but the way I look at it, our front 3 are awesome.

SATA

What I wanted were nice veteran backups like Cavani and Perisic to add some veteran leadership but the way I look at it, our front 3 are awesome.
Are you serious? We are well long over signing these over the hill players on expensive wages

HowYouDoin

Are you serious? We are well long over signing these over the hill players on expensive wages
Thats the whole thing. Would sign them on the cheap. They wont cost an arm and a leg and we do need some veteran leadership. Our front 3 re great but too young. I just dont feel like splashing 120 million for a position that I dont see as much of a need.

El Zoido

Let’s also sign Falcao and Schweinsteiger while we’re at it. Some quality veterans.

MichaelRed

Thats the whole thing. Would sign them on the cheap. They wont cost an arm and a leg and we do need some veteran leadership. Our front 3 re great but too young. I just dont feel like splashing 120 million for a position that I dont see as much of a need.
We haven't had a real right winger since one season of Toni V and then Nani before that. How is a winger not a real need? It has been our biggest need for a decade.

HowYouDoin

Let’s also sign Falcao and Schweinsteiger while we’re at it. Some quality veterans.

Well its one thing if you sign vets to add veteran leadership off the bench, what Im proposing. Totally different if you want them to carry the team.
Just because we did it wrong the last few years doesnt mean the whole approach doesnt work.
I want them as backups

Rolaholic

LVG/Jose, is that you?

RUCK4444

:lol: No sh!t

Ignore one of Europe's top young wingers, in a position we have abandoned for a decade and some some old strikers. Somehow I don't think that fits Ole's transfer policy.

Judas

Open to offers
No offence, but I hope you’re wumming. Advocating for the signing of Perisic in 2020.
I feel like only new Utd fans who lived the post Fergie years could come up with such a bizarre line of thinking.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Does anyone still think this won’t happen?

It’s just a matter of time, my only worry is that we drag it on a long time

Gopher Brown

Even if you don’t incur a transfer fee, they will still cost an arm and a leg in wages. 200k per week over two years is still £21m.
Yes, I know we’d have to pay Sancho more than that, but my point is quality isn’t cheap even if it is ‘veteran’

No Love

Yikes. You are on the wind up, aren’t you?

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax

Ignore one of Europe's top young wingers, in a position we have abandoned for a decade and some some old strikers. Somehow I don't think that fits Ole's transfer policy.
Get young back could do a job as rw. :houllier:

tjb

I understand the notion, but it still makes limited sense. We are third mostly because of deficiencies in our midfield and attack over the course of the season. The defence were relatively solid for large parts ( Maguire still needs a partner). Greenwood, Bruno and Pogba came in and helped us get to the level we are at now. What people don't want to hear that is true is that neither Martial or Rashford are good enough yet to carry an attack like Hazard did with Chelsea or Bale with Spurs. In reality, they would struggle to start for Real or City or Bayern or Liverpool despite how well they have progressed. If Sancho comes in and Rashford is in poor form, rashford would be benched. if he came in and Greenwood was struggling to adapt, he would be benched. If Martial is in poor form, he would be benched. The result of that would be us winning games because we would always have attacking quality on the pitch. It's competition. Same as what City have. If Sancho comes in off form, he would not start for us either. Only world class players should be guaranteed a consistent spot in the first xi. World class also means that consistent quality is expected. For example, even when off form, Debruyne still contributes more than 70 percent of the players on the pitch and can consistently perform as the best player on the pitch. We don't have that on either flank and we have seen Sancho produce that level of quality for Dortmund this season. If Rashford/Martial/Greenwood can't compete with that, they will be benched, and if they're not happy with the club as a result, they can go ( bar Greenwood).

Status
Not open for further replies.