Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Been saying it for ages and nobody wanted to listen. Sancho is a decent player but you don't get the space in the PL that you get in the Bundesliga.

I think Saka, Rashford etc would destroy that league too if given a chance to at Dortmund.

Doesn't make Sancho a poor player by any means because he's not. I just don't think he's this amazing world class can't afford to miss out on him talent either.
Jesus I look forward to years of your negative posts

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Where have you got this notion you're adamant about from?
From watching him play about 18 times for England and not looked that great. He's got 3 goals, two of which came in one game.

Sancho isn't a bad player. People are getting their knickers in a twist here. He's just not a world beater either. The Bundesliga is just a very attack based league.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Jesus I look forward to years of your negative posts
How's that negative? He's a good player. I said as much.

I'm just not delusional and think he's the next Ronaldo. Teams in the PL won't give him the time German teams do. What's wrong with saying that? I actually watch football and understand how it's played.

If teams are going to stand on the half way line against us next season Sancho could get the PFA award. However they won't will they?

In Rainbows

Didn't Havertz and Werner have incredible seasons in their last season in Germany?

Both looked rather averageat best against teams who know how to defend.

Sancho is quality if you give him acres of space. Without it he will struggle just like our other players do and get crucified for it.
They didn't start off as well as Sancho did. Werner started doing well at age 20, and Havertz at 19. Sancho was amazing as an 18 year old. Havertz wasn't as good as Sancho, although he did do really well.

STYLOISRED

Sancho could never thrive in Southgate's system. England is poor in build up it's staggering. Half the time it seems the players themselves don't have any idea how to move the ball into dangerous areas in the opposition's area. I also think that's why Rashford used to thrive in England setup when he used to play more on the shoulder of defenders. Now that his game is evolving into the playmaker winger his output in England dropped slightly.
I wouldn't judge Sancho on his performance for England as long as Southgate is in charge.
Infact, i predict that Saka and Grealish will take Rashford and Sancho's places in the pecking order soon as they are more suited to individualistic football.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
What?? If he was that good other teams would be going in for him. From what I have seen of him this season he will not really improve our team. We’ll get shafted on price too boot.
You aren't serious are you? Others aren't in for him because there are very few who can afford 90m in a post covid market. And he wants to go back to England. And he's not going back to City due to him leaving them (and they hardly need more wingers). That leaves United as the only team who can afford him as a realistic option. Liverpool would need to sell Mane or Salah first, which is a possibility but probably not this summer.

In Rainbows

I'm just not delusional and think he's the next Ronaldo. Teams in the PL won't give him the time German teams do. What's wrong with saying that? I actually watch football and understand how it's played.

If teams are going to stand on the half way line against us next season Sancho could get the PFA award. However they won't will they?
That's not what you said though. Nobody said he's the next Ronaldo. You said that Sako and Rashford would have done what he did in the Bundesliga as if it was something anybody of quality can do, as long as they played in the Bundesliga.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Didn't Havertz and Werner have incredible seasons in their last season in Germany?

Both looked rather averageat best against teams who know how to defend.

Sancho is quality if you give him acres of space. Without it he will struggle just like our other players do and get crucified for it.
You don't know ball.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
The player this entire forum wanks over - Grealish - isn’t played by Southgate either. He only got a game tonight because Mount was out and Foden on a yellow so wtf Sancho is getting judged because the footballing god Gareth doesn’t rate him is a bit of a mystery.

In Rainbows

Seems like thats you mate. Sancho isn't getting those numbers in the PL. Teams are a lot more defensive.

I'm astonished how people don't know this.
Nobody said that though. Nobody has said he will get the same numbers. Stop with the strawmans.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
From watching him play about 18 times for England and not looked that great. He's got 3 goals, two of which came in one game.

Sancho isn't a bad player. People are getting their knickers in a twist here. He's just not a world beater either. The Bundesliga is just a very attack based league.
You said he needs acres of space to be effective - he's one of the best players in tight spaces you can find, literally having to go up to Neymar and Messi to find superior in this regard. His issue with England is not having players to link up and bounce the ball and ideas off of, which has got nothing to do with Germany and everything to do with how poor England are with Southgate at the helm.

The football England play is dire. This whole game was poor outside of the first twenty minutes, that is what Sancho is a fall guy of, not a need for space to perform - just foils who can play proper 1 and 2-touch football. Southgate does not want that in his team because it involves an element of risk he is not comfortable with. That is not on Sancho. Hard running, simple, direct, vertical lines is what Southgate wants from his attacking flankers, which is not what you're ever going to get from Sancho.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Seems like thats you mate. Sancho isn't getting those numbers in the PL. Teams are a lot more defensive.

I'm astonished how people don't know this.
It's clear you don't watch Bundesliga or Sancho to think he only needs space to operate. He thrives in close spaces and intricate passes.
Also he doesn't need to get the same numbers to do well, but he's created 30+ goal contributions in the last 3 seasons, and you think he'll turn into a donkey because of the PL :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Nobody said that though. Nobody has said he will get the same numbers. Stop with the strawmans.
Why are you losing your mind over nothing then? I haven't even said he's a bad player. I think he's a decent player and would offer us something for sure. Just don't think he's worth what we will have to pay.

I just think about how teams set up against us. It doesn't suit his game at all. If teams pushed up against us he'd be frightening. They won't though by and large.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Saka, Grealish, Foden, Sterling... All shown more than Sancho for England last few games than him in the same period.
Sterling and foden have been shite.

Saka made 2 good runs in 70 odd minutes ffs.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
It's clear you don't watch Bundesliga or Sancho to think he only needs space to operate. He thrives in close spaces and intricate passes.
Also he doesn't need to get the same numbers to do well, but he's created 30+ goal contributions in the last 3 seasons, and you think he'll turn into a donkey because of the PL :lol:
I have watched him lots of times. German clubs don't believe in park the bus for one thing.

Why has he struggled to get anywhere near his Dortmund form for England then? Is it because the opposition actually sit back maybe?

Gythio

I actually agree with this. No doubt he's a good player and will improve us, but people should not expect anything extraordinary. Can see him put up roughly the numbers Greenwood produced this season. Compared to a player like Grealish, Sancho is just not on that level.

cyberman

Had a quick search of your posts. You were all for this signing when you thought we wouldn't sign him last year. Its a strange, floppy stance to take when you can switch like this simply because it looks as if we will sign him now. Its not as if German football was water tight defensively 2 seasons ago for the style to suddenly come into play

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Why are you losing your mind over nothing then? I haven't even said he's a bad player. I think he's a decent player and would offer us something for sure. Just don't think he's worth what we will have to pay.

I just think about how teams set up against us. It doesn't suit his game at all. If teams pushed up against us he'd be frightening. They won't though by and large.
Just admit you haven’t watched him and move on. You’re talking like he’s Dan James kick and rush. He absolutely revels in working in tight spaces and having two or three players double up on him so he can exploit the gaps they leave behind with his passing.

marktan

His passing is good but he doesn't take on men the way say Grealish does. Against tight defences he's more likely to pass it backwards then run at the defence and beat the defender. His style of player is closer to someone like Bernado Silva.

It's not unreasonable to think he wouldn't be as good against the tighter defences United face against the majority of teams.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I have watched him lots of times. German clubs don't believe in park the bus for one thing.

Why has he struggled to get anywhere near his Dortmund form for England then? Is it because the opposition actually sit back maybe?
It's because England play shit football with no movement. They win games 1-0, 2-1, 0-0 against teams who aren't a nation of fishermen & plumbers.
How is that not obvious to you? Like I said, you don't know ball.

marktan

This is my view of it as well. He doesn't don't take players on against a tight defence. It's a risk for 90m. I've watched him against a low block and he's most likely to pass it backwards.
Whereas someone like Grealish is happy to run at 3 defenders.

I think people sometimes forget the kind of low blocks we face in the premier League against most teams.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Eh, your posts make it seem like you haven't watched him. He rarely gets chances for England. And international football should very rarely be used to judge anything. You join for 2 weeks every few months and play against lower division teams most of the time. It's not relatable to a normal game.

Sancho is a brilliant wide playmaker. He's up there with the best creators in world football. He is a brilliant dribbler and tight passer and will balance our attack well because we don't have that level of creativity. He's a consistently very good decision maker in attack who will raise the level of those around him - something we lack and need in attack. He's also been absolutely world class for 3 years in the Bundesliga, since 18. He would walk into Bayerns team, despite them being as good as anyone in Europe. He's just a brilliant player. That's it.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Sancho is a great player. He's just not a good fit for the right wing unless his team is playing on the break and in really open games, where he'll have enough space that it doesn't really matter what foot is strongest. In Germany the play is very open and he was super productive on the RW for a few years but his production was overwhelmingly in transition and broken field situations, where his great composure and final ball make him a huge threat no matter what side he plays on. But he has only really shown the ability to be a top player against settled defenses and in slower paced matches - which is what you see in an international tournament - when playing on the left, which he eventually started to do at BvB. Almost all his goals and assists against low blocks in Germany were when playing on the left and almost all his goals and assists when playing for England have also come in the few matches he has played on the left. He has done absolutely nothing when played for England on the right.

His usage by Southgate makes a lot more sense when you realize that he's really a natural left winger competing with Sterling, Rashford, and Grealish for minutes at that position. That's just a tough group to beat out, especially when you're as young as Sancho.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Just admit you haven’t watched him and move on. You’re talking like he’s Dan James kick and rush. He absolutely revels in working in tight spaces and having two or three players double up on him so he can exploit the gaps they leave behind with his passing.
Yea but Southgate sees him in training and he doesn’t think he’s good enough, so you know, swings and roundabouts.

HailtotheKing

Sancho could never thrive in Southgate's system. England is poor in build up it's staggering. Half the time it seems the players themselves don't have any idea how to move the ball into dangerous areas in the opposition's area. I also think that's why Rashford used to thrive in England setup when he used to play more on the shoulder of defenders. Now that his game is evolving into the playmaker winger his output in England dropped slightly.
I wouldn't judge Sancho on his performance for England as long as Southgate is in charge.
Infact, i predict that Saka and Grealish will take Rashford and Sancho's places in the pecking order soon as they are more suited to individualistic football.
Sounds familiar. So what makes you think he'll thrive in Ole's "system" then?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yea but Southgate sees him in training and he doesn’t think he’s good enough, so you know, swings and roundabouts.
I do indeed, they were in my year at school

In Rainbows

Nobody is losing their mind. I'm just trying to stop you from making ridiculous strawmans. Sancho doesn't need all that space. Sure, if he had that space, he would have better season than not. That is true for every player though.

Look at Neymar's first season in Spain. Nowhere near what he produced in Brazil, and way inferior to what he produced in following seasons in Spain. Doesn't mean he wasn't worth it or that he couldn't operate in a tougher league. Nor did it mean much in how he would fare in future seasons. Take a look at Hazard's statistics. He had a slight drop off too. Then kicked it into gear thereafter. Still was effective though. I expect the same for Sancho.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
Sancho is a great player. He's just not a good fit for the right wing unless his team is playing on the break and in really open games, where he'll have enough space that it doesn't really matter what foot is strongest. In Germany the play is very open and he was super productive on the RW for a few years but his production was overwhelmingly in transition and broken field situations, where his great composure and final ball make him a huge threat no matter what side he plays on. But he has only really shown the ability to be a top player against settled defenses and in slower paced matches - which is what you see in an international tournament - when playing on the left, which he eventually started to do at BvB. Almost all his goals and assists against low blocks in Germany were when playing on the left and almost all his goals and assists when playing for England have also come in the few matches he has played on the left. He has done absolutely nothing when played for England on the right.

His usage by Southgate makes a lot more sense when you realize that he's really a natural left winger competing with Sterling, Rashford, and Grealish for minutes at that position. That's just a tough group to beat out, especially when you're as young as Sancho.
:lol:
Oh god, I honestly cannot wait to see the state of this place next season when this comes to pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.