Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
His passing is good but he doesn't take on men the way say Grealish does. Against tight defences he's more likely to pass it backwards then run at the defence and beat the defender. His style of player is closer to someone like Bernado Silva.

It's not unreasonable to think he wouldn't be as good against the tighter defences United face against the majority of teams.
He will progress the ball to someone on his inside, move into a new space and expect to receive it back, or if he has a willing overlapper, will make a choice in accordance with the run they make. His dribbling is used to make the split second of space to make the pass he wants or the quick slip into a position he wants to be in. There's no point comparing that with what Grealish does, which is a very different style.

Passing the ball backward rather than forward or in a manner that keeps the pressure on is most certainly not his style.

The way Sancho plays is better for unlocking low blocks than all these hard runners who actually need and want space to open their legs and rush into. A slow, probing game with constant recycling of possession is where he'd be in his element, so it's strange this idea of his game being all about acres of space and sure things has become legion.

Momsbasement

Supports
Sydney FC
I have watched him lots of times. German clubs don't believe in park the bus for one thing.

Why has he struggled to get anywhere near his Dortmund form for England then? Is it because the opposition actually sit back maybe?
I watched every Dortmund game in the last 10 years and Dortmund never had a player which can shred deep sitting defenses as Sancho can. There he shines by far the most. Its not when he has space because he is quick but not fast. He is brilliant when he can take on players 1on1 and open space by that on his own. His pre assists statistic are as insane as his scoring/assisting statistics. He is by far the most important player and when he is missing Dortmund has huge issues playing vs. counter attack teams.

When I look at the kind of football England plays I dont think he is a perfect fit sadly. He isnt the deep runner but thats exactly Southgates kind of football. Everytime I watch England I call it semi kick an rush and it gives me headache because there are players available which can literally dominate most opponents with flat passes.

I also dont think he struggled more or less than the other players in front. Actually prior to this game his actual scoring per minute statistics for england were better than of sterling, foden or grealish. Southgate just plays ultimative conservative football which doesnt allow any player to really shine.

I can assure you if you sign him your eyes will fall out. Imho him and Mbappe are the most electryfying attacking talents in the world right now - and yes I rate him higher than Haaland.

Reactions: Penna

A-man

Him getting so few minutes has been one of the biggest disappointments in the Euros so far. Even if the competition is tough, I expected him to get at least 25-30 minutes today.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The gushing over Saka after the game from Southgate has definitely put the nail in the coffin for him getting any more minutes.

Cheers Gaz, gave nothing for Dortmund to point at.

Bondi77

We won't get to see him at the Euros now which is a shame but at least Rashford is getting a rest for once.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is my view of it as well. He doesn't don't take players on against a tight defence. It's a risk for 90m. I've watched him against a low block and he's most likely to pass it backwards.
Whereas someone like Grealish is happy to run at 3 defenders.

I think people sometimes forget the kind of low blocks we face in the premier League against most teams.
Sancho is fine against low block teams. And United really don’t dominate games enough to face constant parked busses anyway (hence how many goals we scored last year).

Yes Grealish is more individualistic. We don't need another individual. Bruno tries to do it all on his own. Rashford tries to do it all on his own. Pogba tries to do it all on his own. 3 players who love taking risks, holding onto the ball and forcing things. Sancho is a brilliant all around playmaker who has excellent decision making and will raise the level of our entire attack. He'll make us more cohesive. He'll help a lot in the build up and let Rashford play as an inside forward like he's more suited for. He's versatile and can go anywhere in the attack. His technique is brilliant and he's an excellent dribbler and passer. Sancho with his dribbling, passing and moving is the perfect foil to Rashford or Greenwood who would be on the opposite flank, and help Bruno out loads in the middle. I don't know why everyone always wants someone who does it all on his own when we already have 3 of those who start whenever they are fit.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I watched every Dortmund game in the last 10 years and Dortmund never had a player which can shred deep sitting defenses as Sancho can. There he shines by far the most. Its not when he has space because he is quick but not fast. He is brilliant when he can take on players 1on1 and open space by that on his own. His pre assists statistic are as insane as his scoring/assisting statistics. He is by far the most important player and when he is missing Dortmund has huge issues playing vs. counter attack teams.

When I look at the kind of football England plays I dont think he is a perfect fit sadly. He isnt the deep runner but thats exactly Southgates kind of football. Everytime I watch England I call it semi kick an rush and it gives me headache because there are players available which can literally dominate most opponents with flat passes.

I also dont think he struggled more or less than the other players in front. Actually prior to this game his actual scoring per minute statistics for england were better than of sterling, foden or grealish. Southgate just plays ultimative conservative football which doesnt allow any player to really shine.

I can assure you if you sign him your eyes will fall out. Imho him and Mbappe are the most electryfying attacking talents in the world right now - and yes I rate him higher than Haaland.
Good post.

marktan

Sancho is fine against low block teams. And United really don’t dominate games enough to face constant parked busses anyway (hence how many goals we scored last year).

Yes Grealish is more individualistic. We don't need another individual. Bruno tries to do it all on his own. Rashford tries to do it all on his own. Pogba tries to do it all on his own. 3 players who love taking risks, holding onto the ball and forcing things. Sancho is a brilliant all around playmaker who has excellent decision making and will raise the level of our entire attack. He'll make us more cohesive. He'll help a lot in the build up and let Rashford play as an inside forward like he's more suited for. He's versatile and can go anywhere in the attack. His technique is brilliant and he's an excellent dribbler and passer. Sancho with his dribbling, passing and moving is the perfect foil to Rashford or Greenwood who would be on the opposite flank, and help Bruno out loads in the middle. I don't know why everyone always wants someone who does it all on his own when we already have 3 of those who start whenever they are fit.
I dont want someone that does it on his own, I want someone that can consistently beat a man from a standing start. There's a reason why Grealish is the most fouled player in the league. None of the three you've mentioned there regularly beat a man.

marktan

He will progress the ball to someone on his inside, move into a new space and expect to receive it back, or if he has a willing overlapper, will make a choice in accordance with the run they make. His dribbling is used to make the split second of space to make the pass he wants or the quick slip into a position he wants to be in. There's no point comparing that with what Grealish does, which is a very different style.

Passing the ball backward rather than forward or in a manner that keeps the pressure on is most certainly not his style.

The way Sancho plays is better for unlocking low blocks than all these hard runners who actually need and want space to open their legs and rush into. A slow, probing game with constant recycling of possession is where he'd be in his element, so it's strange this idea of his game being all about acres of space and sure things has become legion.
Your right in his pass and move style of play, the reason I say he'll pass it backwards because against the very tight defences with two banks of four he will be forced to do so, and has done so in the past. When you have him up against 2 defenders in front of him, and Wan Bissaka to the side, what options does he have? He can pass it inside to Bruno, but if he makes a forward run he'll be easily covered by the defenders. We've seen that style of play play out a million times with the likes of Greenwood and Mata who predominantly look to play the pass.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Sterling and foden have been shite.

Saka made 2 good runs in 70 odd minutes ffs.
Sterling has scored all of England's goals at the tournament so far.

Both Saka and Foden have looked more dangerous for England than Sancho does when he plays. This is hardly controversial.

Southgate doesn't know what to do with Sancho, and Sancho isn't as good as the BDL makes him look.

Judas

Open to offers
I dont want someone that does it on his own, I want someone that can consistently beat a man from a standing start. There's a reason why Grealish is the most fouled player in the league. None of the three you've mentioned there regularly beat a man.
Making it out that is the pinnacle of footballing ability is a bit strange, but I suppose if that's what you mostly desire then so be it, we all have our wants in life.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford is a very good dribbler, but needs more space to do his thing (but really can't claim he isn't a very good dribbler). Pogba is an excellent dribbler, don't think there can be an argument with that. Bruno isn't a dribbler, but his style is still that of a gung ho player. Sancho would provide much more refined and consistent, reliable play on the ball for our attack and knit it together well. As a dribbler he is among the best in the world anyway.

laughtersassassin

Sterling has scored all of England's goals at the tournament so far.

Both Saka and Foden have looked more dangerous for England than Sancho does when he plays. This is hardly controversial.

Southgate doesn't know what to do with Sancho, and Sancho isn't as good as the BDL makes him look.
Fodens performances in the euros is fairly similar to Sancho in the friendlies just before.

Both hit the post/bar and other than that had a flash of two of quality but did little else.

You got to factor in the type of game today as well for Saka. The Cezchs where very open first half and the whole team shun.

Then In the second they where not and the whole team did nothing.

passing-wind

I have watched him lots of times. German clubs don't believe in park the bus for one thing.

Why has he struggled to get anywhere near his Dortmund form for England then? Is it because the opposition actually sit back maybe?
Cannot be taken seriously if judging a players capabilities solely on international commitment. How many English nationals have established themselves as fantastic for the national team past decade ? Domestic club assessment is far more important.

alexthelion

:lol: Really?, Sacko is who we should sign instead of Sancho based on this game, Sancho is seriously overrated.
Who the feck is Sacko? Can't see anyone in England squad with that name. Did you mean Saka? The player who disappeared totally second half.

Sancho had a couple of nice touches in the measly time he was given.

FatTails

The lad needs to be house hunting and sorting out a moving van instead of sitting on the England bench and wasting his time.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Who the feck is Sacko? Can't see anyone in England squad with that name. Did you mean Saka? The player who disappeared totally second half.

Sancho had a couple of nice touches in the measly time he was given.
Southgate will get the sacko if he's doesn't play Sancho

alexthelion

What?? If he was that good other teams would be going in for him. From what I have seen of him this season he will not really improve our team. We’ll get shafted on price too boot.
With a view like this you should be made a permanent newbie.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Cannot be taken seriously if judging a players capabilities solely on international commitment. How many English nationals have established themselves as fantastic for the national team past decade ? Domestic club assessment is far more important.
Sancho has done very well for Dortmund. Does that mean he's world class and can do it in the PL then automatically?

Werner and Havertz haven't adjusted quickly and neither got the same numbers in the PL they did the year before.

Sancho will terrify PL defences if they give him space. If they don't he will probably fare as well as Rashford and Greenwood have. Just you watch.

alexthelion

I actually agree with this. No doubt he's a good player and will improve us, but people should not expect anything extraordinary. Can see him put up roughly the numbers Greenwood produced this season. Compared to a player like Grealish, Sancho is just not on that level.
Without checking, didn't Greenwood put up better numbers than Grealish? Yet Sancho with Greenwood numbers is nowhere near as good a player as Grealish. OK :eek:

passing-wind

Sancho has done very well for Dortmund. Does that mean he's world class and can do it in the PL then automatically?

Werner and Havertz haven't adjusted quickly and neither got the same numbers in the PL they did the year before.

Sancho will terrify PL defences if they give him space. If they don't he will probably fare as well as Rashford and Greenwood have. Just you watch.
There's no guarantee for any player moving clubs that's the element of risk with mostly any transfer. Just because Sancho isn't great for the national team shouldn't be the detriment of his credibility as a player. James Rodriguez had an outstanding world cup 2014 and that hasn't relayed in his domestic career it's just how football is.

How Sancho performs will solely be determined on the basis of him actually arriving and playing at United. Until then it's just speculative debate. I've always said that the cafe is one of the worst places for player recommendations / commendations. As it stands Sancho is one of the best young players in world football, how that moves on we will wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.