Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Would take all that with a pinch of salt though. Its always miles apart on fee until it isn't. Can't imagine that we'd go through all this, for so long, after knowing all this time what his price would be (as Dortmund have been pretty clear on that) with no intention of doing a serious offer.

I'd bet its actually just certain specifics that they're working on, like structure of payments and maybe the final bit haggling but don't for a second believe what Watzke said or what the British reporters are saying that we are "miles apart". Neither are realistic and is just standard briefings/negotiating tactics.

I'm just gonna stick with what Fabrizio Romano says day by day. Of course, it might not pan out, but I'd be massively surprised.
I agree with you that the deal will go ahead.

But I also think Dortmund will have to compromise on their desired fee purely because there is no competition for him. Also with all the covid19 uncertainty, they wont dare risk losing huge value on him by delaying til next summer.

I think we hold all the aces, so it's just a case of playing hardball and waiting for Dortmund execs to concede.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Another thread that makes me realize how easy it is to call yourself a sports journo these days. Advertising industry and others profiting off clicks loving every min of it.

My backup career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

But I also think Dortmund will have to compromise on their desired fee purely because there is no competition for him. Also with all the covid19 uncertainty, they wont dare risk losing huge value on him by delaying til next summer.

I think we hold all the aces, so it's just a case of playing hardball and waiting for Dortmund execs to concede.
Meh, it's like us with Pogba. Not exactly desperate to sell a world glass player, but won't stand in his way if the right terms are met.

Fetshu

One things that bugs me, in addition to all the back and forth tweets, is the ''Sancho is happy where he is and he's not in a rush to switch clubs if needs are not met.'' bit, that is included in some of these tweets.
Annoys the hell out of me. On one hand, I know the PR team from BVB side has to say it, but on the other hand, makes me feel like he's not as committed to coming here as we are in welcoming him.

Yes, I know it's BS and Sancho probably would give everything to have a chance to play for ManUtd and make that step-up to the next level, but still.... irritating piece of information.

...my inner muppet is both too optimistic and very cynical at the same time. All these transfer sagas, throughout the years, have taken their toll.

DarkLord

Getting him on a free surely is not likely. Forgive me for being pessimistic but,i dont think we will have another chance like this to sign him. If we leave it till next season he will be snapped up by someone else. Just get the deal done Ed for feck sake! We want Sancho and we want Sancho NOW :houllier::D:wenger:

what the feck does it mean mate!?
I agree, a lot of things can happen in one year in football, and he still has 2 years left on his contract. Too many probabilities. Messi could leave and Barca might want him as their replacement, Real Madrid would want a new galactico signing, Liverpool and City might also join in the race, the Saudis might do a U-turn and buy Newcastle and put in a world record transfer fee for Sancho. At this stage, I think Sancho has already agreed to come to us, personal terms all agreed. Dortmund is just playing hard-ball without lowering the transfer fee due to the 15% sell-on fee they have to give to City.

Red_Orchestra

Hey Alexis Sanchez was sold to Inter today, maybe thats what was causing the delay of a Sancho move? Maybe with his 500,000k wages off the books, we can now afford Sancho?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

Fully agree. Never in doubt. It’ll happen, be it after the deadline.

Oeanje

I'm guessing the unveiling video will be comic style flashback of our previous no7 greats
Best, Robson, Sharpe, Cantona, Kanchelskis, Beckham, Ronaldo, add in little of Valencia and maybe Owen
(while totally omitting Sanchez, ADM and Depay)

and then finally to Sancho taking the no7 kit from sanchez lookalike and proclaiming;

THIS BELONGS TO ME RIGHTFULLY

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Hey Alexis Sanchez was sold to Inter today, maybe thats what was causing the delay of a Sancho move? Maybe with his 500,000k wages off the books, we can now afford Sancho?
There were reports that Woodward sat down with the Glazers to discuss our summer plans and budget etc, when our PL season ended.

I have a feeling Sanchez’ departure must’ve been high on the list of subjects discussed by the Glazers. Specially post covid. Maybe even a prerequisite to completing Sancho’s transfer, as you mentioned.

I sincerely hope that this summer each incoming player is being offset by 2 outgoing players at least.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

Romano’s ‘three little words’ catchphrase needs to be ‘on next days’ in future rather than ‘Here we go!’

I swear he mentions the phrase in every tweet he pushes out. :D

croadyman

Romano’s ‘three little words’ catchphrase needs to be ‘on next days’ in future rather than ‘Here we go!’

I swear he mentions the phrase in every tweet he pushes out. :D
Hmmm does suggest that it is going to go on past the 7th and certainly into next week at least. I will admit the words "it's not a small detail" worried me s bit.

Last edited:

RedHobot

Somewhere over the rainbow Sancho lies
And if the muppet gods can edge it so can I.

meamth

What would happen if we pulled the plug this season and wait for his contract to run down? Dortmund is a cnut, asking for 120 million pounds..:mad:

Red_Orchestra

There were reports that Woodward sat down with the Glazers to discuss our summer plans and budget etc, when our PL season ended.

I have a feeling Sanchez’ departure must’ve been high on the list of subjects discussed by the Glazers. Specially post covid. Maybe even a prerequisite to completing Sancho’s transfer, as you mentioned.

I sincerely hope that this summer each incoming player is being offset by 2 outgoing players at least.
Yeah, I have a strong gut feeling that says we bought Sanchez's contract out. There's two years left on his contract at 500,000k a week, that's 52m.
So we paid him 52 million just to leave this club so that he can sign a free transfer with Inter. I have a feeling that's what happened.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Yeah, I have a strong gut feeling that says we bought Sanchez's contract out. There's two years left on his contract at 500,000k a week, that's 52m.
So we paid him 52 million just to leave this club so that he can sign a free transfer with Inter. I have a feeling that's what happened.
We did not pay him 52m to leave that's BS.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

I am pretty sure the Sanchez move was critical. Its not something to scoff at.

It's just not so easy to move someone off the books with a couple of years left on his contract ala Winston Bogarde. I am sure a substantial amount of bandwidth was spent by the Woodward team to get all parties to agree on this. Inter and Sanchez and then United.

If I was Woodward, I would celebrate this as much as getting a Sancho.

Remember United had a contractual obligation to pay Sanchez £400-500k/week for the next two years and now we can walk away from that obligation. That's like £48 MILLION cash outlay required for the next two years.

This Sanchez deal is a far more complex deal than just to buy a Sancho, especially now that you have some visibility in your cashflow statement -- with £400-500k/week has been taken off their books.

Now Woodward can see what sort of flexibility we have when it comes to our transfers going forward. But there also another somewhat immediate task on hand will be getting rid of Rojo and Jones -- both are dead assets.
Its always easier to buy something than to sell.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

So we paid him 52 million just to leave this club so that he can sign a free transfer with Inter.
I have a feeling that's what happened.
There's absolutely no reason to do that. You do that when you sack someone like for managers.

OneUnited24

I don’t think that’s how it works. So when players sign a new contract with higher wages only to sign somewhere else a year later the club he’s leaving has to pay out the new revised terms?

The way I’ve seen it is we pay to hold the players registration. Once sold the other club holds that and seller is no longer obligated to pay the wages as they don’t hold the registration. The only exception is when a manager is sacked but that’s a different case.

For Sanchez to sign for free I think we allowed the fee for inter to take over his wages. Even then I understand that inter will only pay Sanchez the wages he had here for a year. I could be wrong but I thought I saw a few tweets from tier 1/2 journos about it

Last edited:

hobbers

That's not how buying out a contract works in reality. Also his basic wage was something like 390k, you can forget all the add ons.

The deal will probably be something like 1-1.5 years x basic salary which would still be fecking mammoth, probably anything up to £30m. But it's not really a cost, since we were committed to paying him at least £42m over the next two seasons regardless.

USREDEVIL

Get that guy looked at. Nonsense.

Web of Bissaka

Football journalism nowadays.

Main job: grab people's attentions to get high clicks, web traffics, tweets, trends, etc. Use every tricks in the books. Pick any hot in demand tropic and smack anything shit about it. People bites, it works.

'Authenticity' of news?
What is that strange ancient concept?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Football journalism nowadays.

Main job: grab people's attentions to get high clicks, web traffics, tweets, trends, etc. Use every tricks in the books. Pick any hot in demand tropic and smack anything shit about it. People bites, it works.

'Authenticity' of news?
What is that strange ancient concept?
There always two sides to every coin in technology.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Jesus hope this doesn't drag on and on for weeks. City just got 2 transfers done in 2 days. No messing about with them, they most get more in before we strike a deal for Sancho.
No they did not. Both players they have now signed were originally linked weeks back.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
What would happen if we pulled the plug this season and wait for his contract to run down? Dortmund is a cnut, asking for 120 million pounds..:mad:
He would go to Liverpool

Withnail

How would that benefit the club?

We'd be better off keeping him on the books and extending the loan in that scenario.

At least then Inter are paying the club some of his wages.

Judas

Open to offers
Today won't be the day, but by the end of the week even if its not official (which I doubt it will be) I think this thread will be a lot more relaxed. Simply a matter of time.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I swear thus happens every single time.
It's on the verge of happening, oh no wait the clubs can't agree on the fee! Two days later: Here we go...
This will be done by next week at the latest.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
What? :lol:

We have obviously just sold him but for nothing, unless you’re under the impression that when any player gets sold the selling team pays their entire wage?

wolvored

So you reckon that there might be a Sanchez to Sancho domino effect then
If we knew how an accountants mind works like Woody then there might be a logic in it. Hes freed up £50 million in future wages by getting shut of Sanchez, with no payout. If we had bought Sancho and Sanchez wouldnt move without we paying a fat wedge of money to him to rip up the contract, that would have been a lot of money to swallow in one go.

sparx99

more likely we paid a portion of the owed wages. Say inter put him on 200k a week. He’s out £300k a week for two years or 30m. Then you negotiate a pay off of say 50% of that because he wants to leave.

the pay off is worth it because he gets £15m today instead or more money later. That money can be invested on his behalf etc.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
No, they will not win PL for at least 30 years :p

That said, he will sign for us soon imo. It’s always a saga with us.
I think so as well. Unfortunately our club is a social media whore. We are addicted to clicks. That means that they will suck any happiness out of the deal as they always do

buchansleftleg

The other aspect of this transfer depending on moving Sanchez could well be the whole "image rights" issue.

I know it's painful to remember Sanchez joining us now but at the time there was a lot of emphasis on sanchez and the number 7 jersey. I can see there was probably some deal that saw sanchez get a % of any marketing deal around the number 7..."sanche7" etc.

Moving him on will clear up all of these issues (as well as taking numbers off the payroll) and will allow the club to go heavy on the marketing of Sancho as number 7....links back to Ronaldo, Robson, Beckham etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.