Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinostar77

German media have said there are no negotiations for sancho going on and no offers from any clubs.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
just checked the numbers on Transfermarkt. "He primarily plays LW for Dortmund" is a complete myth.

18/19:
28 games on the right (10 goals, 14 assists)
6 games on the left (2 goals, 4 assists)

19/20:
14 games on the right (7 goals, 9 assists)
11 games in the middle (4 goals, 2 assists)
7 games on the left (6 goals, 6 assists)

20/21:
10 games on the right (2 goals, 6 assists)
5 games in the middle (2 assists)
11 games on the left (6 goals, 4 assists)

so in total, that's:

52 games on the right (19 goals, 29 assists)
16 games in the middle (4 goals, 4 assists)
24 games on the left (14 goals, 14 assists)
It's not a myth. Transfermarkt gets the positions wrong all the time. It was the same case with Havertz last year. Check the heat maps on Sofascore if you don't believe. Sancho had one season in which he was played on the right, then a very mixed one and in his last one clearly preferred the left. He's more effective there and some of his best build up plays happen when he has his strong foot on the inside. Hakimi was a huge reason why he initially played on the other flank. Of course he can still do a job on the other wing but so could Messi, Neymar, Salah, Mane etc.

I watched easily 70% of his games over the last two seasons, I'm not just reading stat sheets. As a United fan, I'd think about how to play the biggest talent in his strongest position. What do people think, can Rashford develop into a striker? Is it really save that Greenwood some day plays striker or could he remain on RW? I could even imagine Sancho as a false 9.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
just checked the numbers on Transfermarkt. "He primarily plays LW for Dortmund" is a complete myth.

18/19:

19/20:

20/21:

so in total, that's:

Pretty much. He's just a brilliant creative player wherever you play him in attack, but has mainly played on the right.

Widow

I’m not ‘pushing’ anything, I was simply responding to a post where it was claimed Sancho had played his best football on the left for Dortmund.

There is no narrative, just discussion.
The discussion is old though. People just keep reigniting it, that is pushing it.

There are many discussions on Sancho that could be had but, his positioning shouldn't be one of them.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Transfer market
Football critic
whoscored
FootyStats
Opta
FBref

Pick any of those and they'll give you the same answer.
Then they're all wrong. He played primarily on the left, like it or not. As I said, check the heat maps if you don't believe me. They're a much better indicator than more or less guessed formations by stat portals anyway.

I mean, Terzic even played Hazard and Reus out of position on the right to make room for Sancho on the left. I can't recall that Reus played there ever before over his career. That being said the wingers are playing very centrally for Dortmund anyway. Under Terzic but also under Favre when the latter played the formation with three at the back (same one as Chelsea under Tuchel so far).

Sancho playing primarily on the left isn't something people made up, it is very real. And it actually was forseeable since many young wingers start their professional career playing with their strong foot outside and later move to the other side when they developed the composure to drift more centrally. Even Messi did so. And Sancho even played LW in the yoouth teams if I'm not mistaken?

sherrinford

18/19:

19/20:

20/21:

so in total, that's:

This is the problem with stats. The games in the middle are basically all games where he has been designated as an AM in a 3-4-2-1, which could just as easily have been as a LW in a 3-4-3 - in reality he operated from the left side but would come into space inside as he naturally does and as that particularly set up gives him more licence to do.

Sancho played on the right in his first season for Dortmund and to begin with in his second season, but has since established himself as superior on the left.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Chelsea are again being linked with him again this lunchtime, lets see who operates their transfer policy better
Chelsea are being linked to everyone with a pulse. Sancho is coming to United. The real drama will be, does Cavani keep no. 7? I presume yes.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I’m just really looking forward to us signing him and tweeting ‘you love to see it’

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He just isn’t a £100m player. It’s clear every time I watch him play.

RUCK4444

The discussion is old though. People just keep reigniting it, that is pushing it.

There are many discussions on Sancho that could be had but, his positioning shouldn't be one of them.
Well what is the truth then? That would help.

Where has he played his best football for Dortmund, left or right?

I’d be inclined to say Right but haven’t watched any football this year other than United games.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
He's not a right winger is he?

Clearly wants to play on the other side or cut inside.

Ranchero

The more i see of Sancho the more i think £90m mistake. Not impressive again for England and has a habit of not tracking back. We dont need any more show ponies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

doesn’t really help that he’s playing 2v1 the whole time with godfrey not having a clue what to do going forward. he’s coming inside and linked up a few times nicely with grealish especially when he hit the bar.

if you’re expecting a guy that stands on the touchline and attacks fullbacks on the outside, that’s not him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I like him a lot but always wanted Grealish instead. Today's performance so far isn't helping. But Sancho can turn a game on it's head in a moment so lets see how he fares.

TheBreadTruck

doesn’t really help that he’s playing 2v1 the whole time with godfrey not having a clue what to do going forward. he’s coming inside and linked up a few times nicely with grealish especially when he hit the bar.

if you’re expecting a guy that stands on the touchline and attacks fullbacks on the outside, that’s not him.
Would AWB offer anything more than Godfrey?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I like him a lot but always wanted Grealish instead. Today's performance so far isn't helping. But Sancho can turn a game on it's head in a moment so lets see how he fares.
grealish can’t play on the right either so it’s not really a like for like comparison

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
What was Grealish doing at 21? Not in a funny way, but a reminder that Sancho is 4 years younger.

Wolverine

I'd also rather get grealish but think Sancho's been fine, for a friendly

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I told you lot that his performances get shown up at CL or national team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

This is the massively worrying thing I read every so often. His whole appeal is built on finally being a long term solution for the right.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What was Grealish doing at 21? Not in a funny way, but a reminder that Sancho is 4 years younger.
I don't care - players peak at different times in their career. It's hardly ever a linear progression - with due respect the age point isn't relevant to who is a better player.
grealish can’t play on the right either so it’s not really a like for like comparison
Grealish can pop up anywhere and drift, as does Sancho. I don't think Ole is going to be intending having fixed wingers.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Plus he's 4 years younger and surrounded by quality players coming in from the left. Sancho hasn't been good, but he's not getting much support on the right.
This means jack shit when Rashford gets blamed whilst he is still only 23 playing in the best league in the world and always ends up one of the better players of the league aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.