Jadon Sancho | £72.9M fee agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazzmondo

People keep saying they'd rather sign Grealish, conveniently ignoring we need a RIGHT winger and Grealish has never played as a RIGHT winger in the Premier League

Leg-End

If your judging a players ability on an England friendly you wouldn’t buy anyone.

Nick7

The only thing that JWP does well both for Soton and England are the set pieces. Hence I would bring him to the Euros for TAA, because you need a player on the bench that has that in his locker and can offer something different from what the starting XI can.

Other than that he doesn't impress me with his work in midfield specifically. Neither for England (incl. today) nor Soton.
Oh I mostly agree, except I think he’s been good in open play today, my point is that judging players during international matches is a poor barometer of how good they are. Some players shine there, some don’t.

I also wouldn’t judge any player being managed by Southgate :p

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Take away his dead ball prowess and he’s not nearly as good as McTominay.
JWP is a player who I think , because of his deliveries and free kicks being his strongest highlights, people often say that's all he's about. In reality he's very good at pressing, his passing is good and his tackling too. I think over McTominay in particular he would be advantageous in closing down more proactively and passing range & distribution. McTominay can sometimes be too casual in both these areas.
Plenty would but at least you agree there is an argument both ways.

I also didn't say Grealish is only better because he's older. I implied that he wasn't as good at the same age and Sancho still has room to grow. At 22, it's very unlikely you would've been for signing Grealish so I feel it's silly to be so against signing Sancho at the same age when he's already shown he is a very talented player for multiple years.
Of course, my opinion isn't worth any more than yours! I just think Grealish is a better player and I would rather have him in my team. I think he'll be a better player than Sanho would - but both will be (or already are) World Class. As I said, ideally I'd want both, accepting Grealish doesn't normally play right, he'd be a perfect Pogba replacement.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Imagine changing your tune on player based on 70 odd minutes of an England friendly right before a major tournament. God bless SadCafe.
He has been average for Dortmund in the CL whenever I watch him.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Plenty would argue it's very easy to hit good stats in the Bundasliga playing for Dortmund compared to carrying an Aston Villa side. Plenty would argue Grealish carries more influence on the game than Sancho does, and that Grealish is a ridiculous talent, one of the best in the Premier League in fact let alone the Bundasliga.

The argument about age is indeed silly, because players reach their potential at different times and at different levels. As I said, it's very presumptuous to claim Grealish is only better than Sancho right now because he's just a few years older.
Part of the truth is that Sancho has found his role at Dortmund. He's surrounded by movement and there are automatisms and patterns of play that comstantly place him in situations he excels in. Finding solutions through one twos and his great ball control, opening up small passing lanes for through balls etc. He's incredible in what he does best and for me already world class and the best player in the Bundesliga thanks to that. But if you want him to perform you need to create those circumstances for him and I honestly don't think this will be the case at United. To me the idea that he's the solution for RW is like a testament to this - because who thinks not only playing Sancho on the right but also with a defensive minded RB behind him would getbthe best out of him hasn't paid enough attention. Maybe a player that is less reliant on linking up with other players and who actually favours the right would be the better solution for you. Or it is trusting Greenwood and/or Diallo. In this case Sancho might make sense with Shaw behind him on the left but that depends on the questoon if Rashford can move into the striker position permanently.

To me this transfer smells like a huge disappointment for both player and club/fans.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Nearly every player looks average playing for England. International football is a terrible way to judge players in general, especially tournaments where there is nearly always one player that looks a world beater but is shite for their club. Sissoko at the 2018 World Cup for example.
That is my hope.

Although us buying Sancho for a club record fee, then finding out he's Rashford/Martial -esque on the right would be so us.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Part of the truth is that Sancho has found his role at Dortmund. He's surrounded by movement and there are automatisms and patterns of play that comstantly place him in situations he excels in. Finding solutions through one twos and his great ball control, opening up small passing lanes for through balls etc. He's incredible in what he does best and for me already world class and the best player in the Bundesliga thanks to that. But if you want him to perform you need to create those circumstances for him and I honestly don't think this will be the case at United. To me the idea that he's the solution for RW is like a testament to this - because who thinks not only playing Sancho on the right but also with a defensive minded RB behind him would getbthe best out of him hasn't paid enough attention. Maybe a player that is less reliant on linking up with other players and who actually favours the right would be the better solution for you. Or it is trusting Greenwood and/or Diallo. In this case Sancho might make sense with Shaw behind him on the left but that depends on the questoon if Rashford can move into the striker position permanently.

To me this transfer smells like a huge disappointment for both player and club/fans.
Maybe thats why we are trying to bring in Trippier.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So are we even seriously being linked with Grealish? I couldn’t care less that he is soon 26, he will still probably have around 6-8 years left as a top player. I would also take him ahead of Sancho.
But his contract runs until 2025, he is an English and PL proven player and now he has finally been picked by England and keeps performing for them his price will increase further. He won’t be sold below 100 - 120 mil pounds. And other PL teams will want him as well.

Sancho has been linked with us constantly and it just seems that there is a much more realistic chance to get him. And who really cares where he plays. He is versatile enough. He will play some games on the left, some on the right, maybe some even in the middle.
People just need to be realistic. We won’t see the Dortmund Sancho, he will also not replicate his BL numbers in the PL. But he is a young top player who is desperately needed at United. Just think back to the games where due to only a couple of injuries we ended up with Amad and Shola as only attacking options on our bench.

Everyone who doesn’t want us to spend money on Sancho has no right complaining next time they see 1 million well established attacking players on City’s or Chelsea’s bench.

Nick7

JWP is a player who I think , because of his deliveries and free kicks being his strongest highlights, people often say that's all he's about. In reality he's very good at pressing, his passing is good and his tackling too. I think over McTominay in particular he would be advantageous in closing down more proactively and passing range & distribution. McTominay can sometimes be too casual in both these areas.
I absolutely agree with your first point, but I don’t think he’s Manchester United good at any of that.

On the other hand, I find he can be quite passive defensively. He’s good at pressing and closing players down, but poor at tackling following that up with winning the ball from what I’ve seen. Surprisingly I think JWP is quite casual with his passing. He’s got great range, but too often doesn’t make the passes he tries. We would lose the ball far too often with him in centre midfield behind Bruno. McTominay isn’t as expansive, but he’s more of a sure thing to keep possession.

I've never had a strong opinion on Sancho as I don't watch German footy much. But from what I have seen of the guy I'm struggling to see why we'd take the risk vs signing Grealish (if available). Never sure how players will adapt to the prem and Grealish is already proven there.

Nick7

That is my hope.

Although us buying Sancho for a club record fee, then finding out he's Rashford/Martial -esque on the right would be so us.
Where are you getting “club record fee” from? Nothing I’ve read has suggested that, in GBP anyway.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Maybe thats why we are trying to bring in Trippier.
I don't think it's that easy. When Hakimi was still at Dortmund, Sancho rather played as ab RAM than a winger in a 3-4-2-1 (the current Chelsea formation).

My feeling is that you guys just try to sign class but don't really analyze how you can integrate the player tactically to get the best out of him before. Pogba is a similar case, IMO. Bruno for example was an excellent fit due to all the pace you've got and the runs Rashford an co make in behind. Sancho wouldn't, IMO.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
People keep saying they'd rather sign Grealish, conveniently ignoring we need a RIGHT winger and Grealish has never played as a RIGHT winger in the Premier League
You’re conveniently ignoring that Sancho clearly isn’t a natural right winger himself.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'll be honest, I've not seen a single minute of him playing in the bundesliga or the CL for Dortmund. I've only ever seen him for England and even then it's only been meaningless friendlies. So from my limited exposure to him, he doesnt seem anything special. I didn't see him beat a man, dribble (actually he did but he lost the ball) and his passing was nothing great. How is he in the bundesliga?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Where are you getting “club record fee” from? Nothing I’ve read has suggested that, in GBP anyway.
I think I'm getting mixed up with British club record in fairness. Just slightly higher than Maguire.
Pogba's fee shouldn't be touched. Hopefully!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Too late. In hindsight it was a clear mistake not to get him though instead of VDB last summer. Also played more for Dortmund than I expected
It obviously wasn’t a ‘mistake’. We tried to buy him and he refused.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean, that's what like 99% of teams do...

Sancho creates a lot of space on the flank and is great at playing the ball behind the defence

Don't expect him to stay wide, isolate with the FB and attack on his own, that's just not his game
This is a good take. You don't hire an accountant in a marketing job and expect him to deliver the same quality as in his earlier role. I believe people are rather expecting a Coman type of winger when Sancho is actually more of a playmaker. He's not beating defenders by bursts of speed or something like that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line

Of course, my opinion isn't worth any more than yours! I just think Grealish is a better player and I would rather have him in my team. I think he'll be a better player than Sanho would - but both will be (or already are) World Class. As I said, ideally I'd want both, accepting Grealish doesn't normally play right, he'd be a perfect Pogba replacement.
Grealish is just built for United in my view, shame he'll end up at City. He just has the personality for us. If he'd shown more at RW I'd be all for it. I'd even be all for it at LW but realistically we aren't not playing Rashford.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You’re conveniently ignoring that Sancho clearly isn’t a natural right winger himself.
This is spot on. Sancho isn't a natural on the right side. I just hope Solskjaer isn't as naive as some of the posts I've read on here about Sancho.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wonder if Southgate will even play him much if at all this Euros. He has stiff competition in Foden and Sterling , even if the latter had a poor season. Grealish too, if Southgate decides he wants Mount in a 10 will add to more wide competition.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He always is poor for England.

Which is why muppets wanting to spend €120m on him last summer or €100m now are nuts.

Realistically, he should be cheaper than that.
This is not true, at all. He's barely played for England - was shite today but was good in another game. I think he's only had something like 1200 minutes in an England shirt, which is hardly anything.

SinNombre

Its a mistake. As if we didnt have the means to convince him to come if we didnt sign another midfielder
We even got Fergie involved but he and his family refused.

The only way we would have gotten Bellingham is by not signing VDB and selling one of Fred or McT, which obviously we would do in hindsight, but would have caused fan riots last summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Its a mistake. As if we didnt have the means to convince him to come if we didnt sign another midfielder
We had tracked him for ages, brought him to Carrington in January, rolled out Sir Alex etc. He made his choice because there is more than one football team in the world, which some forget. It’s obvious what Dortmund gives you. The people in this thread wanting to sign the 21 year old Sancho instead of giving the 18 year old Diallo the same program Dortmund gave the same Sancho is an example of why Dortmund will always hold an obvious appeal.

criticalanalysis

Yes this is my biggest worry. He has class and skill but in our current attacking approach (or the lack of it), we don't excel in putting our attacking players in situations where they can isolate the opposition. We don't create space for attacking transitions and overlaps. Sancho doesn't look like he has the physical ability (elite burst of space/strength) or playing style for 1-on-1 duels against lines of defence.

The contrast in this game between Sancho and Grealish, who basically moved forward and took players on at will is so stark.

Problem is both are not the 'solution' to our right winger issues. Both would be great players to have simply for their talent and long term potential but if I had to choose, I'd opt for a Varane/elite CB and a striker before right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.