Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

Both the Spurs games and last night did highlight the rawness still in his game (something that's totally understandable obviously) so if we do sign him I expect a couple of years of inconsistency before he really matures. Basically anyone expecting him to sign and instantly be the best player in the league dont
What 'rawness' did you see?

He played a good tactical game against elite opposition, 90% pass completion rate, only 2 possession losses. Dortmund controlled the game and should have won from the penalty he won. I doubt Farve would have wanted him to start trying to dribble through the defence at every opportunity and turn the ball over to Barca's exceptional attackers on the break.

JohnnyLaw

I wouldn’t hesitate a sec to buy Sancho if he would cost us 100-120m. But with English tax and young player tax, and on long term contract with CL team, I wouldn’t be surprised he would cost near to 150m.
There’s no way we’d be interested at that price. We have made up alot of money through the sale of Lukaku and wages of course from Smalling, Valencia, Sanchez and Herrera but we’ve never payed anywhere near 150 million for a player and if we did, that would be us for the summer. With the holes in this squad I don’t think we’d blow our load on just one player, no matter how good he is.

The good thing for us though is that I can really only see Chelsea rivaling us for his signature at this moment in time. Barca and Real are pretty packed, City have never operated with such figures before, (Could change though) I don’t think Arsenal or Tottenham would be able to afford him nor interest him. Which leaves PSG and I don’t see that happening.

I think ca 100m+bonuses should be enough and our limit. Alot of people are basing their numbers on the sale of Dembele which wouldn’t have happened if not for the circumstances of Neymar moving to PSG in a record deal.
If Sancho wants to go and no other big club shows the same level of interest, I think around 100 million should be enough. If not, we’d be right to pull out of the deal IMO.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
What 'rawness' did you see?

He played a good tactical game against elite opposition, 90% pass completion rate, only 2 possession losses. Dortmund controlled the game and should have won from the penalty he won. I doubt Farve would have wanted him to start trying to dribble through the defence at every opportunity and turn the ball over to Barca's exceptional attackers on the break.
I cant recall specifics tbh, just while watching the game a couple of instances occurred when I thought to myself that I expected more from him but then had to remind myself the lad is only 19

In Rainbows

There’s no way we’d be interested at that price. We have made up alot of money through the sale of Lukaku and wages of course from Smalling, Valencia, Sanchez and Herrera but we’ve never payed anywhere near 150 million for a player and if we did, that would be us for the summer. With the holes in this squad I don’t think we’d blow our load on just one player, no matter how good he is.

The good thing for us though is that I can really only see Chelsea rivaling us for his signature at this moment in time. Barca and Real are pretty packed, City have never operated with such figures before, (Could change though) I don’t think Arsenal or Tottenham would be able to afford him nor interest him. Which leaves PSG and I don’t see that happening.

I think ca 100m+bonuses should be enough and our limit. Alot of people are basing their numbers on the sale of Dembele which wouldn’t have happened if not for the circumstances of Neymar moving to PSG in a record deal.
If Sancho wants to go and no other big club shows the same level of interest, I think around 100 million should be enough. If not, we’d be right to pull out of the deal IMO.
There are times when we should just pay up the money. Sancho is English and only 19 so could be here for 10+ years if we get him at age 20. If we're not willing to pay up for Sancho, when will we? Look at the circumstances we find ourselves under. We have no RW. He is English and aged 19. We're in 6th place with City and Liverpool pretty much guaranteed to fight for the PL. We have a rookie manager.

This is the one time it makes the most sense to pay up. If we're really that worried for money, then United need to make a really good effort at integrating as much youth as possible for squad positions as that cuts down on transfer fees significantly.

Syphon Wallet

Quality player in a position we desperately need to strengthen.
But I honestly think dortmund will be looking dembele money, coupled with his already high wages, I believe he will be prohibatively expensive.
Its also clearly apparant at this point, the glazers have no interest in making an annual loss on revenue.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

I'd sign him for 150 million. It would be silly to walk away given he's absolutely perfect for us.

amolbhatia50k

There are times when we should just pay up the money. Sancho is English and only 19 so could be here for 10+ years if we get him at age 20. If we're not willing to pay up for Sancho, when will we? Look at the circumstances we find ourselves under. We have no RW. He is English and aged 19. We're in 6th place with City and Liverpool pretty much guaranteed to fight for the PL. We have a rookie manager.

This is the one time it makes the most sense to pay up. If we're really that worried for money, then United need to make a really good effort at integrating as much youth as possible for squad positions as that cuts down on transfer fees significantly.
Absolutely. Atletico, Madrid, Juve and Barcelona have all made purchases for over 100 million recently. Given we need this signing more than those clubs needed theirs, I don't see why we shouldn't pay a bit over the odds if needed. And given recent sales and the spending over the last two summers, we should also spend on the midfield in addition to that.

redshaw

Looked good last night against top opposition, something that was missing last season.

Should've had an assist but really was impressed with his running with the ball and movement, looks stronger but no loss of his talents. He'd be a great addition for any side.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Second game I've watched this season of him after the Bayern super cup. This kid is special, a bit of a diver granted but the talent is there without a doubt

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If Mbappe went for 150m ish then I expect Sancho will too. He's in that bracket of talent.

He's the perfect player for us. We've been crying out for a world class wide player for a long time.

jackal&hyde

If Mbappe went for 150m ish then I expect Sancho will too. He's in that bracket of talent.

He's the perfect player for us. We've been crying out for a world class wide player for a long time.
I agree that he looks perfect for us for many reasons, but not so sure about being in the same talent bracket as Mbappe. The boy had almost 40 goals last season and is an integral part of a WC winning side.

JohnnyLaw

If Sancho wants to move I don’t see any reason why Dortmund would be unreasonable. They know he won’t stay for ever, If we’re the only club showing real interest at the figures quoted then a deal for around 100 million+Bonuses should be agreeable, it’s straight up profit for a player they got for free after all.

Yes, we’re 6th with a rookie manager. We’re not really set up to take chances right now. Say we get Sancho plus a youngster or two next summer, Jadon gets a long term injury or whatever else that could happen and we’re again looking like a squad lucky to even make the top 4.
We need a back up left back, starting DM, preferably another option in CM, a striker and, as you say, a starting RW. Neglecting all those areas for Sancho would be unwise IMO.

Absolutely. Atletico, Madrid, Juve and Barcelona have all made purchases for over 100 million recently. Given we need this signing more than those clubs needed theirs, I don't see why we shouldn't pay a bit over the odds if needed. And given recent sales and the spending over the last two summers, we should also spend on the midfield in addition to that.
Yeah, but in several cases they were almost straight swaps. Atletico got Felix, but only because they were still netting 100 million+ from outgoing players. Barcelona the same, they sold Neymar and got Coutinho and Dembele for little over what they received for Neymar. Real have been pretty low key in the market for a number of years and were pretty much forced to make a statement this year.
They all also have squads much further into development which allows them to pick and choose players without too much pressure, but also even more importantly those clubs have a stability that we do not. In the competition we’re in we can’t afford to make mistakes in the market, because if we do then it could affect our standing in the league and in world football for years to come. We can’t expect a minimum of Champions league football every year, the clubs you mentioned most certainly can though.

amolbhatia50k

If Sancho wants to move I don’t see any reason why Dortmund would be unreasonable. They know he won’t stay for ever, If we’re the only club showing real interest at the figures quoted then a deal for around 100 million+Bonuses should be agreeable, it’s straight up profit for a player they got for free after all.

Yes, we’re 6th with a rookie manager. We’re not really set up to take chances right now. Say we get Sancho plus a youngster or two next summer, Jadon gets a long term injury or whatever else that could happen and we’re again looking like a squad lucky to even make the top 4.
We need a back up left back, starting DM, preferably another option in CM, a striker and, as you say, a starting RW. Neglecting all those areas for Sancho would be unwise IMO.

Yeah, but in several cases they were almost straight swaps. Atletico got Felix, but only because they were still netting 100 million+ from outgoing players. Barcelona the same, they sold Neymar and got Coutinho and Dembele for little over what they received for Neymar. Real have been pretty low key in the market for a number of years and were pretty much forced to make a statement this year.
They all also have squads much further into development which allows them to pick and choose players without too much pressure, but also even more importantly those clubs have a stability that we do not. In the competition we’re in we can’t afford to make mistakes in the market, because if we do then it could affect our standing in the league and in world football for years to come. We can’t expect a minimum of Champions league football every year, the clubs you mentioned most certainly can though.
We've also let go a few big names who were on high wages this summer - Lukaku (also a great fee), Fellaini and Herrera. Probably Smalling soon. Darmian is gone too.

JohnnyLaw

We've also let go a few big names who were on high wages this summer - Lukaku (also a great fee), Fellaini and Herrera. Probably Smalling soon. Darmian is gone too.
We’ve done that before too, perhaps not in terms of wages though and I’m honestly not sure how much that’ll effect the next transfer budgets. It didn’t have a huge impact a few years ago when we sold Di Maria, where we actually spent less compared to the window before.
Our expenditure has been pretty stable post Moyes at around 140-170 million pounds per summer window. Barring last years dip of course. I don’t dare to hope for too much more than that in the coming windows.

Le Red

Quality player in a position we desperately need to strengthen.
But I honestly think dortmund will be looking dembele money, coupled with his already high wages, I believe he will be prohibatively expensive.
Its also clearly apparant at this point, the glazers have no interest in making an annual loss on revenue.
This shouldn't be the case. I know we are in a rough era but we're still MUFC, not Newcastle, not Aston Villa. We can pay whatever City, PSG, Real Madrid or any other club in the world can offer.
If even Atleti can pay 120m for a player like Felix, we can cough up the money to buy Sancho.
If our cnut owners don't want to spend that much on our team, that's on them, but the club certainly has the money.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
This is simply a no brainer in my opinion.

I think we can get it done for around £120 million.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
What's the logic behind that? Unless they have some sort of agreement in place he'll have a contract for another two seasons, putting them under no pressure whatsoever to sell on that front. And no one cares about how much they signed him for (which btw wasn't free) the only thing that matters is how much he's worth now, how much they believe they can get and what they can do with that money. They didn't care about Dembele's former fee either, when they took €140m off of Barca.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
According to many we have no chance and he’ll likely go to Real Madrid. Because apparently they are a great team and we are not.

JohnnyLaw

What's the logic behind that? Unless they have some sort of agreement in place he'll have a contract for another two seasons, putting them under no pressure whatsoever to sell on that front. And no one cares about how much they signed him for (which btw wasn't free) the only thing that matters is how much he's worth now, how much they believe they can get and what they can do with that money. They didn't care about Dembele's former fee either, when they took €140m off of Barca.
I find it very plausible that the deal he signed this summer wouldn’t have been signed without some sort of understanding between the player and the club.
IF the guy wants to go, he’s been a good servant for three years and all that, 100m+ is still a lot of money. On the same level as what the likes of Hazard, Griezmann and Felix have moved for recently. You get a record fee, he (hopefully) gets the move he wants and we get our player.
The circumstances around the Demebele deal was different too, Barca had received a seemingly impossible amount of money for Neymar and were desperate to save face. You’re board would likely have been more reluctant with Dembele aswell seeing as he had only played one season for you and was making a fuss trying to get the deal through which probably would have provoked a sterner response from the club.
Besides, it wasn’t €140 up front either, was it? It was more like €105-120m plus incentives so the deal I’m suggesting wouldn’t be much lower than that anyway.
As I said in my earlier posts, if Dortmund won’t accept a bid in the region of what I proposed then I don’t think we should pursue the deal further. We’ve got too many needs to tend to.

AFC NimbleThumb

I find it very plausible that the deal he signed this summer wouldn’t have been signed without some sort of understanding between the player and the club.
IF the guy wants to go, he’s been a good servant for three years and all that, 100m+ is still a lot of money. On the same level as what the likes of Hazard, Griezmann and Felix have moved for recently. You get a record fee, he (hopefully) gets the move he wants and we get our player.
The circumstances around the Demebele deal was different too, Barca had received a seemingly impossible amount of money for Neymar and were desperate to save face. You’re board would likely have been more reluctant with Dembele aswell seeing as he had only played one season for you and was making a fuss trying to get the deal through which probably would have provoked a sterner response from the club.
Besides, it wasn’t €140 up front either, was it? It was more like €105-120m plus incentives so the deal I’m suggesting wouldn’t be much lower than that anyway.
As I said in my earlier posts, if Dortmund won’t accept a bid in the region of what I proposed then I don’t think we should pursue the deal further. We’ve got too many needs to tend to.
If he gets the move he wants, I highly doubt we’re the club getting the player.

The obsession with Sancho needs to end. he is far & away the outstanding RW talent in world football but if our highly remunerated staff can’t find another RW in world football then we’re finished as a club.

Sancho is not coming to Manchester United.

Swarm

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The deal he signed this summer basically only increased his wages without extending his contract. Therefore he had no leverage of any sort to make demands for "an understanding". That being said I am sure that there have been talks about the future between club and player but I don't think Dortmund promised to let Sancho go for a fixed price and definitely not for one that they deem under market value.

Patience

From what I understand... Sancho was approached this summer, was all on for the move but Dortmund weren't even considering our advances.

Given that we had other areas to improve in (notably defence), we have told Sancho and his camp that we will certainly be looking to sign him in summer 2020.

He is all on for the move.. We want to buy him. The big question mark is over how much it will take for Dortmund to sanction the transfer.

But I for one would be massively surprised if Sancho isn't at Old Trafford come August 2020.

Greck

From what I understand... Sancho was approached this summer, was all on for the move but Dortmund weren't even considering our advances.

Given that we had other areas to improve in (notably defence), we have told Sancho and his camp that we will certainly be looking to sign him in summer 2020.

He is all on for the move.. We want to buy him. The big question mark is over how much it will take for Dortmund to sanction the transfer.

But I for one would be massively surprised if Sancho isn't at Old Trafford come August 2020.
It was reported as soon as the season ended that he wouldn't join us because we didn't make the CL hence the results of the summer didn't surprise even with Dortmund's unwillingness to sell. He already left City for better conditions so this isn't one of those long suffering players ready to put their career on hold. Without CL we have to convince him that a stellar project he'll want to be a part of is underway at Old Trafford. Unless we end the season on a convincing notw that would have to be one heck of a sales pitch

Vissy

Come on. Man Utd is among the richest and most famous clubs in the world. They are historically the most successful club in England. In what world would making a big move to play for us be "putting your career on hold"? It's more like the opposite, honestly. Joining Man Utd for a few years in a big-money move is going to make you a much more successful footballer.

RedAlert27

He's exactly what we need, a natural RW that can take defenders on and bring us some balance to the team. I just don't see him choosing United over the other options he'll have available next summer. Hopefully I'm wrong, but think we should definitely be in the market for another natural right winger.

Hawks2008

Come on. Man Utd is among the richest and most famous clubs in the world. They are historically the most successful club in England. In what world would making a big move to play for us be "putting your career on hold"? It's more like the opposite, honestly. Joining Man Utd for a few years in a big-money move is going to make you a much more successful footballer.
I'll play devils advocate, he is an important player at a big club in a top league where he is developing really well, he plays champions league football every year and Dortmund are a better team than us. Not that we are not a bigger club, but it's fair to say that we are not a sure thing to get back to competing for top honours for a while and at 19 there is no rush for Sancho to make make a big move.

Vissy

I'll play devils advocate, he is an important player at a big club in a top league where he is developing really well, he plays champions league football every year and Dortmund are a better team than us. Not that we are not a bigger club, but it's fair to say that we are not a sure thing to get back to competing for top honours for a while and at 19 there is no rush for Sancho to make make a big move.
That is absolutely true and I think the ball is squarely in Sancho's court at the moment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was it feasible for us to sign him after he left City's youth academy ?
It was reported that we tried to sign him from City, but City didn't want to sell him to United. Sancho and his camp had a agreement with us aswell. But it became pretty clear that City were not gonna sell him to United and the only way for United to sign him was for Sancho to wait it out. Sancho then accepted the move to Germany because he couldn't wait to get out of City.

amolbhatia50k

If he gets the move he wants, I highly doubt we’re the club getting the player.

The obsession with Sancho needs to end. he is far & away the outstanding RW talent in world football but if our highly remunerated staff can’t find another RW in world football then we’re finished as a club.

Sancho is not coming to Manchester United.
We can find another RW but naturally nobody nearly as good as him.

He isn't ? You've spoken to him recent I gather?

amolbhatia50k

Absolutely. But on the other hand, he may believe this is the right time in his career to move to a club in transition and that's not the kind of move he wants to make when he's 24/25 (as Pogba did). We are an English club who are absolutely loaded and the biggest in the land, so there is definite lure. Plus he will start regularly. But of course it's a personal decision. He's in a position where any club would want him (but only a few may be willing to shell out the money).

Hawks2008

Absolutely. But on the other hand, he may believe this is the right time in his career to move to a club in transition and that's not the kind of move he wants to make when he's 24/25 (as Pogba did). We are an English club who are absolutely loaded and the biggest in the land, so there is definite lure. Plus he will start regularly. But of course it's a personal decision. He's in a position where any club would want him (but only a few may be willing to shell out the money).
I agree with you, was just outlining why maybe he wouldn't want to move from Dortmund to United right now for the sake of discussion.

amolbhatia50k

I agree with you, was just outlining why maybe he wouldn't want to move from Dortmund to United right now for the sake of discussion.
Yeah he may not want to move here now and to be honest he may not want to move here ever. Hopefully he does and we try our best to make it happen.

AFC NimbleThumb

We can find another RW but naturally nobody nearly as good as him.

He isn't ? You've spoken to him recent I gather?
I have as much knowledge as everyone in the thread who assumes he does.

We’re fans on forum.

I said ‘I highly doubt’ that the world’s most talented right winger that’ll have a morose of options might not be interested in playing for the 5/6th best team in England but apparently I need to know Sancho to have an opinion, his phone must ring constantly with all the ITKs in this thread.

I take it you’ve spoken to him if you’re fact checking me on something as fans we’re all clueless about & more importantly, my opinion.

He’s the most talented RW in world football, day he doesn’t come we should honestly have a list of other options - that’s the point I’m trying to make.

Leaking the narrative that it’s Sancho or no one when we’re in a weak bargaining positions leads to summers like this where we’re left with talented youth players who aren’t ready being thrust into the first team.

amolbhatia50k

I have as much knowledge as everyone in the thread who assumes he does.

We’re fans on forum.

I said ‘I highly doubt’ that the world’s most talented right winger that’ll have a morose of options might not be interested in playing for the 5/6th best team in England but apparently I need to know Sancho to have an opinion, his phone must ring constantly with all the ITKs in this thread.

I take it you’ve spoken to him if you’re fact checking me on something as fans we’re all clueless about & more importantly, my opinion.

He’s the most talented RW in world football, day he doesn’t come we should honestly have a list of other options - that’s the point I’m trying to make.

Leaking the narrative that it’s Sancho or no one when we’re in a weak bargaining positions leads to summers like this where we’re left with talented youth players who aren’t ready being thrust into the first team.
Except I'm not the one making an arbitrary claim with no basis whatsoever. Were fans on a forum but we don't necessarily have to believe one way or another in an outcome we know little about.

And you didn't just say that you highly doubt. You also said that he is not coming, as if you have some genuine insight to offer on the players desires (which you don't).

I agree that he may not come and that we should have alternatives lined up. That's a fair point. At the same time we should do everything we can go try and make it happen.

AFC NimbleThumb

Except I'm not the one making an arbitrary claim with no basis whatsoever. Were fans on a forum but we don't necessarily have to believe one way or another in an outcome we know little about.
Arbitrary because 'I highly doubt' he's coming? I honestly do not get your issue with my post; the fact you're continuing to badly dissect and actively misinterpret my post is surely tiresome.

And you didn't just say that you highly doubt. You also said that he is not coming, as if you have some genuine insight to offer on the players desires (which you don't).
You're being willfully ignorant to suit your argument here. I clearly open with 'I highly doubt' and round off with an opinion that he isn't coming. If you'd rather ignore the obvious nuance then so be it but you're trying to offer genuine insight on what I have already explained to not be my intention. It would appear the only way to satisfy you here would be to preface all my sentences with a caveat, so here goes. . .

In my opinion If he gets the move he wants, I highly doubt we’re the club getting the player.

In my opinion The obsession with Sancho needs to end. In my opinion he is far & away the outstanding RW talent in world football but if our highly remunerated staff can’t find another RW in world football then we’re finished as a club.

In my opinion Sancho is not coming to Manchester United.
You're not actually trying to debate what I've written you're attempting to clutch at straws and argue over linguistic tendencies to prolong this charade. Jog on.

The fact you're attempting this with me after posting the above is also laughable.
  • He may believe this is the right time in his career, but he may not so that's a bit presumptuous no? If you've not spoken to him personally then it is as likely to be a good time as it is not.
  • What is 'absolutely loaded', please quantify this statement as I have a few £10 notes in my wallet, does that make me absolutely loaded? or is it £20k? or £20million? £2billion?
  • What is 'the biggest in the land'? London is bigger than Manchester, no? Our stadium is the largest but what do you actually mean by 'biggest in the land' and please show proof to back this up - a wiki screenshot won't suffice.
  • He will start regularly? Sorry are you Ole Gunnar Solskjaer himself? How can you make such a claim? OgS may prefer Dan James & Rashford on the wings, you can't make that statement without having spoken to OgS surely.
A number of those are indeed a stretch but you've made statements of fact in your post without any 'genuine insight'. If the focus of this forum is to mis-quote posts and ignore explanations to feel big then I can do that but surely it would be more productive debating why In my opinion focusing on Sancho isn't in the clubs best interests.

Being fact checked because I haven't explicitly said something that is easily implied is ridiculous.

TheRedHearted

Let’s say the club are using their noggins and are already looking into multiple Pogba replacements, if right off the bat we sign Sancho and then sign a midfielder the Pogba money would make us even. Thinking this is a long term rebuild that would leave us with Mctominay (or Fred) and the new signing (hoping it’s someone with more creativity than Rice) and Gomes on top of the three man midfield with a starting front three of James, Martial, and Sancho. Our depth up front includes Greenwood and Rashford (who seems to really need some sorting out at the moment).

With the back line needing another fullback or two (not as priorities at the moment) to me it’s not a bad starting 11 but Fred as our only real depth in midfield is a problem.

Either way to me that’s clearly an improvement and it seems we’re taking inches of improvement at a time. That’s a pretty young team and what would be needed would be depth which young scouting and work would be needed but I would be very happy with it. Truth is we all know scouting is one of our massive problems and the club finally getting a DOF (if it may very well be Ole in a few years) would be massive for our long term growth.

Don’t forget Pogba will be going most likely. We could buy Sancho and a midfielder and come out in the negative of 75 to 100 million.

Agreed. It’s dire times and he’s a long term replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.