Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenith

You're missing the point. I wasn't comparing the price but the level of treatment Sancho is getting on here. He's a good player NOT a great one yet and we don't have that kind of money to spend on a signing when we've got 4 other positions that need addressing as well.
We should definitely have alternatives in place and move fast if it's apparent that Sancho won't happen, early on in the summer.

Perhaps Zaha, traore

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You're missing the point. I wasn't comparing the price but the level of treatment Sancho is getting on here. He's a good player NOT a great one yet and we don't have that kind of money to spend on a signing when we've got 4 other positions that need addressing as well.
Name a winger better than him currently? you're thinking very short sighted, he's already Dortmunds best player in a team of great attacking players.

beingshe7don

Name a winger better than him currently? you're thinking very short sighted, he's already Dortmunds best player in a team of great attacking players.
You're being very myopic. Mbappe, Neymar, Sterling, Bernado Silva, Salah, Mane are better than Sancho at the moment. Also, adding Sancho to our team won't make us better than Leicester. Do you see superstar signings in that team? Football is a team game and you've got to have the perfect balance. Ziyech and Olmo should have been our options before Sancho as they would have provided similar output but would have cost substantially lower pricewise.

How many players from the Bundesliga have come to the PL and have lit it up? De Bruyne seems to be the only one. Aubameyang has been hot or cold despite scoring goals for Arsenal

How many Dortmund players have come to the PL and replicated their numbers at Dortmund in their current teams? Jury is out on Aubameyang if he's a success since Arsenal have only regressed.

Sancho could be putting up great numbers but if it's gonna be in vain and United still battling for top 6, I'm not sure if I want that.

I would consider other available options in Traore, Chukwueze, Benrahma, Zaha and possibly solve our striker issue with Werner instead who would cost 60m.

Golazoooo

How many players from the Bundesliga have come to the PL and have lit it up? De Bruyne seems to be the only one. Aubameyang has been hot or cold despite scoring goals for Arsenal
Firmino, Son, Sane, Matip? They werent even that good in the Bundesliga...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm not missing your point; by mentioning Ronaldinho, in any capacity, you're doing a compare and contrast that doesn't really work as the equivalent to a Ronaldinho in today's game would be Neymar, and I'm not seeing posters elevating Sancho to that kind of status.

Sancho is a brilliant player and the claims of him being the answer to our right-sided issues, or being a key component in a resurgent side, are valid, why wouldn't they be? There's no one saying he is a talismann who can be expected to carry a clubs' burden on his shoulders like Atlas, which would be expected of a Ronaldinho or Neymar, which comes part and parcel with the fee - £100m-£120m is not out of line for the likes of Sancho in the current market, but it would be laughed out of town for Neymar (or any such equivalent).

Balancing our frontline is just as important as fixing the midfield or improving our fullbacks, or making our defense a fortress - if there was an equivalent level talent to Sancho being lined up for midfield, posters would be all over that in lieu of a lesser level RWF, but that's not where we're at, and us landing the hottest teen talent on the planet would be a major, major coup and statement of intent, who could be the catalyst for other elite, up and coming prospects to think differently to joining us.

Sancho isn't just a signing for the pitch and our 1st team; he's a symbolic piece in a much lager puzzle whom the club will benefit from in a myriad of ways.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

You're being very myopic. Mbappe, Neymar, Sterling, Bernado Silva, Salah, Mane are better than Sancho at the moment. Also, adding Sancho to our team won't make us better than Leicester. Do you see superstar signings in that team? Football is a team game and you've got to have the perfect balance. Ziyech and Olmo should have been our options before Sancho as they would have provided similar output but would have cost substantially lower pricewise.

How many Dortmund players have come to the PL and replicated their numbers at Dortmund in their current teams? Jury is out on Aubameyang if he's a success since Arsenal have only regressed.

Sancho could be putting up great numbers but if it's gonna be in vain and United still battling for top 6, I'm not sure if I want that.

I would consider other available options in Traore, Chukwueze, Benrahma, Zaha and possibly solve our striker issue with Werner instead who would cost 60m.
And all of those aren't available?

Sancho is head and shoulders better than all the latter 4 you mentioned. The kid is 19 and already the best player in the Bundesliga, an English talent who won't be screaming for Spain. He will be a huge marketing tool also - he literally ticks every box.

As for making us better than Leicester; that'll come from coaching and better scouting. You're telling me they'd rather have Harvey Barnes or Demarai Gray over Sancho?? :D cmon...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
How much money do we have to spend?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What has a player got to do to be a great one? Sancho is exceptional, I think I've never seen such a talent in the Bundesliga bar maybe Götze - and even he wasn't as good output wise as Sancho, although similarly talented. If he keeps improving at his current pace, sky's the limit.

I don't think he's moving to England, though. Liverpool has no issues in his position, City is out of the equation for obvious reasons, no other club really has the perspective to lure him. I also think he'll eventually play as a LW not a RW since someone with his technique, dribbling ability and close control needs to cut inside. He's already better on that side, IMO. This makes it even harder to predict where he'll end up. Madrid has Hazard, Rodrygo and Vinicius in that position, so only Barca would make sense perspectively but they are linked more to Neymar and/or Havertz currently. Maybe they'll buy Neymar and Paris will try to sign Sancho as a replacement, who knows.

Will be interesting to see where he'll end up. The club who'll sign him from Dortmund can consider itself lucky as hell.

In Rainbows

What has a player got to do to be a great one? Sancho is exceptional, I think I've never seen such a talent in the Bundesliga bar maybe Götze - and even he wasn't as good output wise as Sancho, although similarly talented. If he keeps improving at his current pace, sky's the limit.

I don't think he's moving to England, though. Liverpool has no issues in his position, City is out of the equation for obvious reasons, no other club really has the perspective to lure him. I also think he'll eventually play as a LW not a RW since someone with his technique, dribbling ability and close control needs to cut inside. He's already better on that side, IMO. This makes it even harder to predict where he'll end up. Madrid has Hazard, Rodrygo and Vinicius in that position, so only Barca would make sense perspectively but they are linked more to Neymar and/or Havertz currently. Maybe they'll buy Neymar and Paris will try to sign Sancho as a replacement, who knows.

Will be interesting to see where he'll end up. The club who'll sign him from Dortmund can consider itself lucky as hell.
I tabulated the stats

1. Kagawa
a. 17 goals 14 assists as a 22 year old ~~2 dribbles per game ~~3300 minutes
b. 12 goals 2 assists as a 21 year old ~~1.3 dribbles per game~~2100 minutes
2. Mkhitaryan
a. 23 goals 32 assists as a 26/27 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~4300 minutes
b. 5 goals 7 assists as a 25/26 year old ~~2.6 dribbles per game~~3100 minutes
c. 13 goals 10 assists as a 24/25 year old ~~3 dribbles per game~~3700 minutes
3. Gotze
a. 7 goals 8 assists as a 19 year old ~~3.5 dribbles per game ~~1700 minutes
b. 8 goals 16 assists as an 18 year old ~~2.5 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Sancho
a. 16 goals 17 assists as a 19 year old (mid season) ~~2.8 dribbles per game~~2425 minutes
b. 13 goals 19 assists as an 18 year old ~~3.3 dribbles per game ~~3000 minutes

Based on age, rate (per game), dribbling, and end product I would argue that Sancho is #1. And he's 19 years old. You wouldn't need him to replicate his stats over in England. If he produces at 3/4 of those stats when he's in his prime, that would be a huge success. You should look at his age and his performances in Germany as a development stage for him. This is not even close a comparison in leagues (so don't take offense German fans), but if you were to take a Championship player doing well as a 19 year old, and then buy him, sure he won't hit those same heights initially (hello Zaha), but he will grow in ability that he will eventually start to produce at that level in the tougher league. Not sure why Sancho isn't the same. That's if you want to make that argument. I wouldn't make that argument because I'm fond of the Bundesliga, but even if you were to look at the Bundesliga in that manner, there is no argument to be had around the idea that "Sancho won't produce at that level in the PL."

On the other hand, someone like Mkhitaryan was already 27 years old when he came to the PL. There was no more development left for him. Completely different from Sancho's situation. Plus, look at Mkhitaryan's other seasons in Germany. He looks more like a 1 season wonder when it comes to that kind of end product than someone who jumped to a new level in ability.

Last edited:

F-A-C-T-S

If given the choice, would you buy Van Dyke for £75m or Lindelof and Bailly for £60m?
Klopp brought in VVD as a final piece in their defense after having spent 2 years building his team. Before that he had brought in Wijnaldum 25m, Mané 34m, Salah 37m, Robertson 8m, Karius 4m, Matip free and Promoted Trent.
We are in a similar position to the one Liverpool was in and in my opinion you bring Sancho to complete the puzzle. Watching our team is quite shocking at times because we are so disjointed and poorly coached with so many deficiencies.

The solution is addressing as many of these in as little time as possible. Imo That means getting a Chukwueze for RW instead of Sancho. Address 3 positions with the 120m+ instead of one.
Improve the functionality of the team, nick 4th spot next season then build on that and by the 3rd window we can complete the puzzle with signings like Sancho, to compete for the top honours.
And don't get me wrong, I'll probably be excited if we were to land Sancho and I'm of the opinion that we have a pretty good chance to, but in our current state we probably need to think about building an actual team first.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Klopp brought in VVD as a final piece in their defense after having spent 2 years building his team. Before that he had brought in Wijnaldum 25m, Mané 34m, Salah 37m, Robertson 8m, Karius 4m, Matip free and Promoted Trent.
We are in a similar position to the one Liverpool was in and in my opinion you bring Sancho to complete the puzzle. Watching our team is quite shocking at times because we are so disjointed and poorly coached with so many deficiencies.

The solution is addressing as many of these in as little time as possible. Imo That means getting a Chukwueze for RW instead of Sancho. Address 3 positions with the 120m+ instead of one.
Improve the functionality of the team, nick 4th spot next season then build on that and by the 3rd window we can complete the puzzle with signings like Sancho, to compete for the top honours.
And don't get me wrong, I'll probably be excited if we were to land Sancho and I'm of the opinion that we have a pretty good chance to, but in our current state we probably need to think about building an actual team first.
It’s not one-size fits all. You don’t know what we have to spend. When Liverpool were buying Wijnaldum and the likes, they couldn’t afford to buy £100m players too. Real bought a £100m player along with a few for £50m.

Your point is fair, but is suggests that if we bought Sancho, we could not buy anyone else, and there is no indication at all that this is factual. All indications are that we are pursuing Sancho AND others.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s not one-size fits all. You don’t know what we have to spend. When Liverpool were buying Wijnaldum and the likes, they couldn’t afford to buy £100m players too. Real bought a £100m player along with a few for £50m.

Your point is fair, but is suggests that if we bought Sancho, we could not buy anyone else, and there is no indication at all that this is factual. All indications are that we are pursuing Sancho AND others.
Surely it depends how much Sancho will cost? We have a budget like anyone else and if he’s going to cost 100+million I wouldn’t expect more than maybe one decently priced player.
I really don’t think we’d be able to afford Sancho, a new striker and say a midfielder or full back.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

If the talk of us pursuing him ever since he was leaving City is true, it wouldn't be a surprise if there's a reserve for him, also.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Depends how a Sancho deal would be structured. If it works out at say 120mill but paid over 3 years I imagine we could easily be in the market for other positions

In Rainbows

Klopp didn't feel he completed the puzzle after VVD. He went for a noticeable upgrade in midfield. He bought Fabinho, Keita, and tried to buy Fekir (failed medical). Clearly he thought midfield was a weakness. Buying Sancho, doesn't mean we can't fill out the squad the following season. If Sancho is available, he should be the priority. It's a lot harder to buy a player like Sancho the following year after spending to fill out multiple positions the first year than it is to buy someone like Sancho the first year, then buy others the following year. And the reason for that is simple, a talent like Sancho doesn't come around often, and won't just come to us. In a way, we're lucky that Sancho is English, 19, with other PL clubs having lackluster seasons, and with one club already banned for the CL for 2 seasons.

Mark Pawelek

United already spent about £50m or this years budget. Don't pretend Glazers do no book-keeping. I think there's a chance we get Sancho if we sell Pogba. Otherwise, I don't see it happening.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If the talk of us pursuing him ever since he was leaving City is true, it wouldn't be a surprise if there's a reserve for him, also.
We also received more than 70 million on the last day for the transfer window, also last 2 summer windows we have barely spend any money going by net spend.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We also received more than 70 million on the last day for the transfer window, also last 2 summer windows we have barely spend any money going by net spend.
Yep. If he's a long-term target who we really believe we have a chance of landing (I'm guessing feedback from the agents) there's no way we haven't been prepping for this. It would be quite something if the intention was to put the Lukaku money to Sancho's fee all along.

Money won't be the hurdle for landing Sancho, imo.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yep. If he's a long-term target who we really believe we have a chance of landing (I'm guessing feedback from the agents) there's no way we haven't been prepping for this. It would be quite something if the intention was to put the Lukaku money to Sancho's fee all along.

Money won't be the hurdle for landing Sancho, imo.
Yeah he is long term target for sure, there are so many articles which said we tried to sign him when he was at City and also Watzke also confirmed our interest in one of their documentary. Apart from that all the reliable journalists for Manutd news reported our interest.

Hopefully we will land him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

We aren't in as bad a situation as alot of you folk think. We're a Sancho and a top class midfielder or two away from being a very competitive side. Add a top class manager and the whole outlook changes.

I would understand if people had reservations over someone like Maddison due to the cost, but not with Sancho. And like Fergie said, " if a special player becomes available, you pull out the stops to sign him"

Rauður Djöfull

Funny how I keep seeing that we should stay away since it's the bundesliga or there is no guarantee that Sancho will deliver and so on, than people are talking about getting Traore instead, a player who has done nothing in his career and is having a breakthrough now with 4 goals and 7 assists in 25 games (which is fine for someone in Wolves) but nothing extraordinary.

Sancho is a no brainer for Man Utd, as long as he wants the move of course.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

Chukwueze I'd bring in as a bench option not a starter. Sancho walks into the starting 11. Why not get both, would in one stroke solve our right wing dilemma

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Jury still out on Lindelof and Van Dijk moved to a Liverpool side that was almost a finished article. All they were missing were a CB and a goalkeeper which Van Dijk and Allison made them championship contenders. Van Dijk in a team with a shit midfield and shit defense wouldn't have done much.

Also, Fabinho was available that summer when Matic was bought. It would have been a different conversation if we hadn't bought Matic. Spending big is not always the smart thing to do. Hopefully, we could learn a couple things from Leicester. They don't have a superstar in their team and are yet delivering entertaining and high quality football.

All I am saying is that if we still deliver shit results after Sancho coming here, it will NOT be his fault and shouldn't as well. I do not want another case of Pogba 2.0 happening again.
I think you are missing my point here, don't really care about Liverpool's side.

My point is that if we take quality over quantity then we would had been in better situation right now. If we don't sign a midfielder but spend the money that we used on Lindelof & Matic to Van Dijk instead then we will be in better situation as it'll save us more time in rebuilding our team, centre back issue would had been sorted out 2 years ago.

Sancho is a quality player. There is a better possibility that the RW position will be sorted out by signing Sancho than signing some players that you listed. Just because we need to sign 4-5 position doesn't mean we need to do all of them in one window. We can always spend the money to sort out 2 position in one summer window, next following season we can do another 2-3.

Adam-Utd

It’s ridiculous. For his goal, Sancho received the ball with nobody anywhere near him.
To be fair, frankfurt had just had an attack and the RB was overlapping, Sancho stayed up the pitch and didn't track back - that allowed him to get into that situation. Agree though the CB wasn't composed at all.

croadyman

I know it's a lot of money involved but the worrying thing is that there a real lack of quality options in the RW position especially now that Ziyech is off the market, just out of interest who do people feel that we should bring in if Sancho decides to go elsewhere in the summer

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I know it's a lot of money involved but the worrying thing is that there a real lack of quality options in the RW position especially now that Ziyech is off the market, just out of interest who do people feel that we should bring in if Sancho decides to go elsewhere in the summer
David Brooks for me. He’s also better as a 10 than the two other British 10s we are linked to everyday. Very similar player to Ziyech actually.

Federico Chiesa also looks like he could take the step up. Juve may be looking to shop Bernadeschi too.

Last edited:

Tony247

Traore

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sell Pogba: 120m

Buy Sancho: 120m
Buy Grealish: 70m

Net spend in Summer: ~70m

dal

Sell Pogba: 120m

Buy Sancho: 120m
Buy Grealish: 70m

Net spend in Summer: ~70m
Sell pogba buy sancho net zero

Bruno £50 million
Grealish £50 million
Maddison £85 million

Net spend £185 million ( we can manage this easily, going by what has been said we may be spending heavily this summer and maybe less next)

Midfielders - fred mctominay Maddison Bruno Grealish matic garner

Wingers. - Grealish rashford martial James Greenwood

Strikers - greenwood martial Ighalo

2021 sell martial Buy Kane? and maybe a centre back. Keep Ighalo as a backup option is he plays well

writing this. It’s like we speak so trivially about transfer fees man however when I relay this back in my mind it’s FIFTY million Pounds for a person oh god wow.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Sell pogba buy sancho net zero

Bruno £50 million
Grealish £50 million
Maddison £85 million

Net spend £185 million ( we can manage this easily, going by what has been said we may be spending heavily this summer and maybe less next)

Midfielders - fred mctominay Maddison Bruno Grealish matic garner

Wingers. - Grealish rashford martial James Greenwood

Strikers - greenwood martial Ighalo

2021 sell martial Buy Kane? and maybe a centre back. Keep Ighalo as a backup option is he plays well

writing this. It’s like we speak so trivially about transfer fees man however when I relay this back in my mind it’s FIFTY million Pounds for a person oh god wow.
Grealish is proven in the league this season, I doubt Villa willing to let him go for mere 50m, English tax and United tax you know, and especially when he is in similar age and performance level as Maddison this season (who is rated at 85m). Maybe unless they got relegated or something and forced to sell cheaply.

Last edited:

dal

Grealish is proven in the league this season, I doubt Villa willing to let him go for mere 50m, English tax and United tax you know, maybe unless they got relegated or something and forced to sell cheaply.
Hmm it’s been one season And he’s not an established international. He seems to want to come also. I think 50 mio is fair. I just hope he’s stopped going out in Birmingham every Saturday I literally used to see him most weeks. Regardless it doesn’t seem to effect his football that much.

Bobade

I can't honestly believe there are people who would sooner bring in Traore. I thought we wanted to get back to the top? Traore is a decent player but Sancho would be a real statement of intent.

Yes, he doesn't solve all our problems, but our RW has been non existent for ages. Surely we want top talent there, not good squad players?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Hmm it’s been one season And he’s not an established international. He seems to want to come also. I think 50 mio is fair. I just hope he’s stopped going out in Birmingham every Saturday I literally used to see him most weeks. Regardless it doesn’t seem to effect his football that much.
Well Maddison only got 1 cap and he is already worth 85m. Grealish has scored 9 goals this season, same as Maddison, and his performances level this season has been impressive so far, getting hyped around alot too.
Let's hope we can buy him for 50m (same price Newcaslte quote for Longstaff, who has done nothing), but I really doubt so, Let's see.

JoseChelsea

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea open talks with Sancho

Various German and English papers today reporting Chelsea are on pole position concerning Sancho.

Sancho is a childhood Chelsea-fan, London guy and once named Drogba and Lampard as his all-time favourites.
Chelsea and Sancho is a match made in heaven. Absolutely buzzing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Chelsea open talks with Sancho

Various German and English papers today reporting Chelsea are on pole position concerning Sancho.

Sancho is a childhood Chelsea-fan, London guy and once named Drogba and Lampard as his all-time favourites.
Chelsea and Sancho is a match made in heaven. Absolutely buzzing.
They're all citing France Football as the original source and from my recollection they're not great for breaking transfer news.

Tony247

Chelsea will be in for striker(s) more than winger. But you'll never know.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I'd love it if we got him, but I can't help feel we'd find a way to turn him into Mkhitaryan.

Status
Not open for further replies.