Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjenIsM3

I fear I must at this point apologise. All of my (clearly deeply unfunny) responses on this subject have been in jest in response to @Adisa 's misspelling of Smalling as "Smelling".

My honest appraisal is that Jones, "Smelling", Rojo and Bailly should all be cut loose.

I think we should bring in a cb wonderkid (no idea who, mind) who can compete with Lindelof and usurp him in a season or two if he doesn't continue to improve; I should add that I like Lindelof and think he'll get better and better with age. Proper competition for him would be good, though.
We have Tuanzebe (if he can stay fit) and other decent prospects at CB like Meghi for that role.

DanClancy

Sancho has 2 years left on his deal and if he doesn't sign an extension he'll be sold this summer. Dortmund are not the sort of club who'll let their biggest asset run down his contract.

As for United getting rid of Jones, Smalling, Lingard, Periera & Sanchez that would save about £35m a year of the wage bill although the reality is United are going to have to contribute to Sanchez's wages until his contract finishes.

Hawks2008

Is it or just Dortmund sticking to a valuation? Barca paid top dollar for a player on strike, Chelsea paid nearly 60m for a player with a year left on his contract.
Well it's for sure a sellers market so I understand that good players are going to cost a very high price for everyone, but we really do get fleeced some times.

Ultimately if a player makes big impact and improves the team i dont care but clubs seem to have their way with us in negotiations and as I said hopefully it pays off and we can go into future dealings with a stronger position.

Fosu-Mens

If it is between buying Sancho for £100m + and getting an LB, CDM/CM/CAM and a CB I think there should be some consideration.

How many more chances would we get with an LB that can actually pass, cross, function in the progression of the ball and create chances in the final third?
How much worse would our team be if we were forced to play Fred/McT for a number of important games as the midfield duo due to injuries on PP/Bruno and/or Matic needing a rest?
Or having a CB that does not get bullied by the strikers each game?

Could we get a creative right winger able to function without space for a fraction of the price it would cost to get Sancho?
Adam Ounas, Matheus Pereira(If West Brom doesn't get promoted) or even Zaniolo (Can play any attacking position) could be getable if Roma needs the money like it seems they do.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dortmund are practically saying if you meet our valuation and he wants to leave then we will think about it.

How can that be anything but good news? Of course they're going to drive a hard bargain for their golden goose.

Whether it will happen this summer? it really depends how much they demand. They might try and get another 6 months out of him before selling in January.

Sancho seems the type that will kick off though, if he wants to leave I think he will make it hard to stay.

I noticed the last 2/3 games they had him on the bench and played their young kids, so either Dortmund are making a power play to show Sancho " look if you dont wan't to play we will bench you" or they're trying out their kids to see if they can take Sanchos place.

Either way they just got done 4-0 at home :lol: so maybe they should take the money and reinvest.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Dortmund are practically saying if you meet our valuation and he wants to leave then we will think about it.

How can that be anything but good news?
Of course they're going to drive a hard bargain for their golden goose.

Whether it will happen this summer? it really depends how much they demand. They might try and get another 6 months out of him before selling in January.

Sancho seems the type that will kick off though, if he wants to leave I think he will make it hard to stay.

I noticed the last 2/3 games they had him on the bench and played their young kids, so either Dortmund are making a power play to show Sancho " look if you dont wan't to play we will bench you" or they're trying out their kids to see if they can take Sanchos place.

Either way they just got done 4-0 at home :lol: so maybe they should take the money and reinvest.
I don't really have an opinion on our chances of signing him but this is always their stance.
They are a selling club. So them coming out to say it doesn't change anything.

RkkMan

1) We got AWB for 10 million less than quoted.

2) Maguire I agree with.

3) We certainly paid less than what Sporting wanted for Bruno.
No3 is not true. Sporting wanted 68m we paid 47m with add ons that will take the fee to 68m. Add ons will be the deciding factor for Sancho IMO

redshaw

Doesn't seem likely to happen this summer unless Dortmund relax the price.

They may be a selling club but in recent times money is not a big problem for them as it was and they want to challenge and be up there and raise the clubs profile. They may just accept a lower fee next summer and have another good season with Sancho and Haaland if no-one comes in with a big fee.

More clubs will be hovering around next summer.

Last edited:

United Hobbit

We will do our usual of haggling throughout the whole window.

We will then either pay an inflated price for him on the last day or we will get ourselves into the usual situation of panic buying/ buying no one right at the end of the window. We wont have identified alternatives in case we cant afford him.

Out of interest what do we think his shirt sales would be like? And advertising revenue from him? Is he like Pogba/ Dybala where they have other commitments that make them harder to sort a deal with? Would we easily and quickly recoup his fee through him being an asset?

The other risk we have is if like what happened to us with Ronaldo in someone like Real Madrid coming in and giving Liverpool and offer they cant refuse and taking Salah and or Mane then they will probably be in for Sancho as well and have more attractiveness at this moment in time. They may not be able to afford him now but if they get a huge fee for Mane or Salah they then have that to spend. Another reason we need to just get on with it if the money is there. If we need to wait on sales that's worrying as the deadwood will take a while to shift. If Jones could stay fit he could be useful for a smaller PL club. I think that is the problem with him especially aside from the errors he can do, he cant stay fit and the smaller clubs dont have the strength in depth we do so they would need him available, ready to be used which they cant guarantee with him.
I've got a nasty feeling Jlingz will be given a new contract
Sanchez I'd possibly try a swap plus fee with Ighalo's Chinese club as they would presumably be able to pay him near what we do in wages. While Ighalo isnt world class he is at least more useful to us than Sanchez and will be excellent for the cups especially as Martial is made of glass.
Pereira and Smalling we *should* be able to shift but how much from sales do we need to be able to go towards Sancho's cost? Eg what percentage of his price do we still need to make up? If it's most of it we can probably forget it. The only other hope is we can possibly force more out a PL club for the likes of Jlingz as English players seem to have a mark up.
Like others have said some of the smaller Spanish sides will hopefully be interested in Pereira but what are his wages like?

As an aside what is Sancho's attitude like? Can we definitely say Ole will want him given his mission to root out bad apples and have a better squad mentality? Could Chelsea still try for him?

Also if we dont get CL would he be willing to take a year away from it with the aim of helping us get back in it for the following season? Would he be able to make the step up to the harder PL league?

I think CL qualification is a big one as will presumably also bring extra money which we are possibly depending on to be able to afford him.

Baneofthegame

No3 is not true. Sporting wanted 68m we paid 47m with add ons that will take the fee to 68m. Add ons will be the deciding factor for Sancho IMO
In the summer they wanted far more, then in winter they wanted 60 upfront with add ons.

So 47 fee with add ons taking to 68 million is a far better deal.

NJM78

We will then either pay an inflated price for him on the last day or we will get ourselves into the usual situation of panic buying/ buying no one right at the end of the window. We wont have identified alternatives in case we cant afford him.

Out of interest what do we think his shirt sales would be like? And advertising revenue from him? Is he like Pogba/ Dybala where they have other commitments that make them harder to sort a deal with? Would we easily and quickly recoup his fee through him being an asset?

The other risk we have is if like what happened to us with Ronaldo in someone like Real Madrid coming in and giving Liverpool and offer they cant refuse and taking Salah and or Mane then they will probably be in for Sancho as well and have more attractiveness at this moment in time. They may not be able to afford him now but if they get a huge fee for Mane or Salah they then have that to spend. Another reason we need to just get on with it if the money is there. If we need to wait on sales that's worrying as the deadwood will take a while to shift. If Jones could stay fit he could be useful for a smaller PL club. I think that is the problem with him especially aside from the errors he can do, he cant stay fit and the smaller clubs dont have the strength in depth we do so they would need him available, ready to be used which they cant guarantee with him.
Sanchez I'd possibly try a swap plus fee with Ighalo's Chinese club as they would presumably be able to pay him near what we do in wages. While Ighalo isnt world class he is at least more useful to us than Sanchez and will be excellent for the cups especially as Martial is made of glass.
Pereira and Smalling we *should* be able to shift but how much from sales do we need to be able to go towards Sancho's cost? Eg what percentage of his price do we still need to make up? If it's most of it we can probably forget it. The only other hope is we can possibly force more out a PL club for the likes of Jlingz as English players seem to have a mark up.
Like others have said some of the smaller Spanish sides will hopefully be interested in Pereira but what are his wages like?

As an aside what is Sancho's attitude like? Can we definitely say Ole will want him given his mission to root out bad apples and have a better squad mentality? Could Chelsea still try for him?

Also if we dont get CL would he be willing to take a year away from it with the aim of helping us get back in it for the following season? Would he be able to make the step up to the harder PL league?

I think CL qualification is a big one as will presumably also bring extra money which we are possibly depending on to be able to afford him.
If Lingard gets a new contract then God help us.

croadyman

Problem is any "alternative" to Sancho will be at least 2 levels below him guaranteed and we need top class players to close the gap on City/Liverpool not cheap gambles who are no better than James/Greenwood. Missing out on a talent like that in a window you have a free run to get him will be a very very big failure on Utd`s part.
I wouldn't say that Traore is levels below him after looking at him this season. He certainly seems to have improved final ball and decision making.

The only thing is I could see Wolves demanding similar sort of money for him that Dortmund want for Sancho. I know that probably sounds utterly crazy but that is just my gut feeling on the situation.

There was talk of Liverpool interest earlier in January but that was around £80m and his value has definitely increased since then.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I wouldn't say that Traore is levels below him after looking at him this season. He certainly seems to have improved final ball and decision making.

The only thing is I could see Wolves demanding similar sort of money for him that Dortmund want for Sancho. I know that probably sounds utterly crazy but that is just my gut feeling on the situation.

There was talk of Liverpool interest earlier in January but that was around £80m and his value has definitely increased since then.
I’m a big fan of Traore but even I would agree he’s levels below Sancho who is a far better passer and finisher. Traore is the better dribbler but not by as much of a margin as Sancho in other areas.

It would be a different type of player with overall less quality but that doesn’t make Traore a bad signing. It’s just Sancho ticks every box.

romufc

I do not trust our negotiating team.

At the moment, I can understand that the club are not willing to spend that money. The questions will be what if we spend £100m and still finish 4th?

If we can get a deal agreed where we pay £70-80m then add ons. If United finish top 2, £20m top 3 £10m, PL title x, CL win, Ballon Dor etc...

Some of them are very realistic addons whilst protecting ourselves from overspending and under delivering.

United Hobbit

If Lingard gets a new contract then God help us.
Oh I completely agree he shouldn't be anywhere near one but then nor should the likes of Jones and he got one. I just have this nasty feeling we will shortly be getting an announcement we have given him a new 5 year contract

The announcement will probably be accompanied by a grinning moon walking or dabbing not sure which J Lingz with Ole trying to moonwalk/ dab next to him holding the contract

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Why do people keep persisting with this nonsense? It's like you're missing the last 7 years.

E-mal

Where is this notion from that he is injury prone? A lie often told becomes the truth. He has missed games just as many as your average attacker. This season was the only period he was out for a significant time which was like 5/6 weeks.

Excuses.... more excuses.... you sure you're not one of Ed's PR agents on this forum. Just kidding...
I think our board could do a better job starting the negotiations much earlier. I mean it's a common fact that we take way too much time to close out a deal.

Leon Bailey is only 22 years of age. Obviously Leon is no match for Sancho whose been doing great. But like I suggested, I think a left footed RW would fit our side better.
No. Feck Ed, the sooner he leaves the club the better. But if you
Is he better on the left or right, he seems more of a hazard than mbappe to me for comparison sake
Statistically a better goalscorer on the left, better creator on the right. Excellent on both sides. His dribbling style does really remind me of Hazard, don't think it's a bad comparison. He's just very versatile.

kirk buttercup

Is he better on the left or right, he seems more of a hazard than mbappe to me for comparison sake
Personally I think he is better on the left but he predominantly plays on the right and is very very good there . He would be a perfect for our RW but would like to see him Rashford and Martial all interchange through games but that would just be my preference and I can understand people not wanting to do that .

beingshe7don

I've got to say contrary to popular opinion, I do not think Jadon is worth 100m euros that Dortmund are looking for. I think 70m pounds is a good deal but beyond that we're being ripped off.

E-mal

Just get it done early, next season is pivotal for our club. It is time we arise from the dungeons of mediocrity.

Rolaholic

I've got to say contrary to popular opinion, I do not think Jadon is worth 100m euros that Dortmund are looking for. I think 70m pounds is a good deal but beyond that we're being ripped off.
He's put up creative and G + A numbers comparable only to Messi in Europe over the past 2 seasons so Dortmund are more than justified in their valuation especially when we've seen lesser proven 19 and 20 year olds go for 100m+ in recent windows...(Felix to Atleti and Dembele to Barca)

Barcelona also spent 145m euro's on a glorified benchwarmer for them, Dortmund are well within their rights to demand 100m for their best player

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
His assist numbers are supremely impressive when you look at his age relative to the top assisters in Europe this season:
  1. Thomas Muller / 30 / 21 assists
  2. Jadon Sancho / 20 / 17 assists
  3. Lionel Messi / 33 / 17 assists
  4. James Forrest / 28 / 17 assists
  5. Michael Liendl / 34 / 17 assists
The only player similar in his age in the top 10 assisters is Christopher Nkuku at 22 years old, who registered 15 assists, the second youngest after Nkuku is 27. Even last season when he was even younger he still made the top 5, if you only include the top leagues he came 2nd which would mean he's been a top 2 assister in Europe for consecutive seasons at 20. Add in the English factor plus the fact he's chipped in with double figure goals in the previous two seasons (13, 20), it's easy to see why his valuation is so high, a player as good as him at his current age is very, very rare.

Black Rick

My issue with Sancho is that there's been multiple reports that his dream is to eventually play in Spain.

Having walked out on Manchester City and currently winding down his Dortmund contract I don't think he's particularly the loyal type, so if he comes here now then it'll be another Ronaldo situation where by his 26-31 prime he will have gone back out the door again for Real Madrid/Barcelona.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
My issue with Sancho is that there's been multiple reports that his dream is to eventually play in Spain.

Having walked out on Manchester City and currently winding down his Dortmund contract I don't think he's particularly the loyal type, so if he comes here now then it'll be another Ronaldo situation where by his 26-31 prime he will have gone back out the door again for Real Madrid/Barcelona.
Not one even half reliable outlet has ever reported that.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Just get it done early, next season is pivotal for our club. It is time we arise from the dungeons of mediocrity.
You can put money on that if this does happen it won't be done early

This has deadline day signing written all over it

Rolaholic

Not one even half reliable outlet has ever reported that.
Yeah I'd love to see those reports, only stories regarding a preferred destination for him I've seen have all been about him and his camp wanting a return to England

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

Interesting...
Finally some good news!

I hope this indicates that BVB is pretending they’d honestly be okay with keeping Sancho another year and risk losing him at a lower price.

My guess is they just want the most they can get for Sancho but will definitely sell him this year only.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The more time pass the less I want Sancho at United this year. The fee asked is beyond ridiculous especially in this buyer's market and the last thing we need to do is to blow our entire budget on a 20 year old who plays at a team that makes everybody look good and who is hyped by fans as the second coming of the Christ.

So I'd say lets make a personal deal with Sancho possibly for next year and let's turn to other targets instead.

a- In reality we need two RWs so I'd say Chiesa would be a great signing. He'll play as a first teamer next season and act as cover/competitor for Sancho the season next. Chiesa can play as RW, LW and Stk which would provide us with great versatility.
b- Sarr (free transfer) and Salisu (12m) should be signed which would allow us to let Smalling, Jones and Rojo go.
c- VDB would be a great signing for us

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The more time pass the less I want Sancho at United this year. The fee asked is beyond ridiculous especially in this buyer's market and the last thing we need to do is to blow our entire budget on a 20 year old who plays at a team that makes everybody look good and who is hyped by fans as the second coming of the Christ.

So I'd say lets make a personal deal with Sancho possibly for next year and let's turn to other targets instead.

a- In reality we need two RWs so I'd say Chiesa would be a great signing. He'll play as a first teamer next season and act as cover/competitor for Sancho the season next. Chiesa can play as RW, LW and Stk which would provide us with great versatility.
b- Sarr (free transfer) and Salisu (12m) should be signed which would allow us to let Smalling, Jones and Rojo go.
c- VDB would be a great signing for us
Malang?

Status
Not open for further replies.