Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infestissumam

IF Villa get relegated they can no longer demand the ridiculous 80m they now want. I say that fee is closer to 40-50m. And with Sancho I know Dortmund are fine financially but he has two years left. This is their last year to demand a solid fee. Next year his fee gets reduced by at least half of what they will want this year. In a normal world that wouldn’t bother them like they ran down the contract with Lewandowski but with Covid I’m sure they will take 70-80m instead of 120m this summer rather than 40-50m next summer with only 12 months left on his contract.
agree with all of this, but it'd still probably be a combined 120-130m for the two. Do we spend that kind of money this summer, with Covid and also after signing Bruno in January? Plus there's also other areas where we should strengthen. Just not sure we'd sign Grealish on top of Sancho, that's all. I'd absolutely love to see it though.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
agree with all of this, but it'd still probably be a combined 120-130m for the two. Do we spend that kind of money this summer, with Covid and also after signing Bruno in January? Plus there's also other areas where we should strengthen. Just not sure we'd sign Grealish on top of Sancho, that's all. I'd absolutely love to see it though.
It helps to be one of the biggest clubs financially. We absolutely have to spend around 150m if we are to close the gap. Sell the likes of Sanchez, lingard, Smalling and Jones and recoup 30-40m and throw that in the pot as well. Ideally we should get Sancho, Grealish and Koulabaly or someone of that ilk for central defense. Three players are a must this summer and focus on a striker next year.

Bondi77

With Sancho being able to play as a 10 it lowers the risk of us turning to shit if Bruno or Pogba get injured.
If it was simply Sancho v Mason then its a different story but having 1 extra world class player over 5 positions isnt really rotation.
Kind of like how you dont really notice Mharez playing for City or if he is 1st choice or second. It all kind of blends in.
When has he played as a 10 and has it even been in consecutive games?

Bondi77

Just something I read. Stemmed from his performance v Barca in that position
I have rarely seen players that can be really good in multiple positions at the top level and all I have seen of Sancho is playing on the wings where he has looked really good in Germany.
Totally different skill set as space is at a premium in the centre and rarely will get the chance to run at a defender.

Daonico

It helps to be one of the biggest clubs financially. We absolutely have to spend around 150m if we are to close the gap. Sell the likes of Sanchez, lingard, Smalling and Jones and recoup 30-40m and throw that in the pot as well. Ideally we should get Sancho, Grealish and Koulabaly or someone of that ilk for central defense. Three players are a must this summer and focus on a striker next year.
No chance we sign those three unless we sell someone important to get money. I imagine we might get one more if we sign Sancho, and I am counting on selling some of our deadwood decently.
Right now I am guessing Sancho + someone creative for the midfield or AM.

Regarding Mason, we clearly still need a right winger! I am as hyped as anyone with him, but we can't rely on a 18 year old for a whole season, at the very least we need a decent rotation option (no, not lingard, thanks...and I count James as a left winger), Mason will have bad times, he is a kid. Bring Jadon and let Mason rotate with him and Martial, in time he can win over Martial place.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Sancho who??

Greenwood.

ave the bucks for now.

(Coming from the biggest Sancho fan).

Convince me I’m wrong.

zenith

This will simply not happen this summer. All the indications are that we have prioritized Sancho and the rest of the areas are deemed workable for now, with more additions in the summer of 2021

FromTheBench

I would rather go for Sancho + a Matic replacement if we can sign 2 players. Grealish while quality won't be priority if Pogba stays

Judas

Open to offers
You have to have a child like view of football and be massively naive to suddenly think we don't still need Sancho. Imagine still not understanding its a squad game and that's how you're successful.

Bondi77

He seems to have played every game since the restart as the #10. It looks like it hurt his stats though (or maybe he just hasn't been as good since the restart) as he's only got three goals (all in the one game) and one assist in that time.
He seems to have played every game since the restart as the #10. It looks like it hurt his stats though (or maybe he just hasn't been as good since the restart) as he's only got three goals (all in the one game) and one assist in that time.
if he is as effective as a 10 as he is as a winger then it should be something that Southgate should be looking at then as we do not have a top level player in that position.

Lebo

You have to have a child like view of football and be massively naive to suddenly think we don't still need Sancho. Imagine still not understanding its a squad game and that's how you're successful.
sometimes adding someone with quality doesn’t necessarily mean overall improvement as the addition of berbatov proved in 2008. Yes he had better stats compared to Rooney and Tevez but his addition was not good for team harmony.
With that said, you can make a counter argument about the addition of Tevez and Nani when we already had Giggs, Saha, Rooney, Ronaldo.

EngimaMK

That's a bit of a reach... Fecking hell, some football fans really do love the smell of their own farts. If someone thinks we shouldn't spend 100m on one player, when that is pretty much the totality of our budget, then they are "child like".

Where do you get your huge knowledge of Sancho from? FIFA or Gossip pages?

gajender

sometimes adding someone with quality doesn’t necessarily mean overall improvement as the addition of berbatov proved in 2008. Yes he had better stats compared to Rooney and Tevez but his addition was not good for team harmony.
With that said, you can make a counter argument about the addition of Tevez and Nani when we already had Giggs, Saha, Rooney, Ronaldo.
You have to be mindful of the fact we only have 3 good frontline players others behind them are more of squad fillers rather then adequate backups, add Sancho to the mix suddenly things don't look so bleak bring in Grealish along with Sancho then we have attacking options to challenge on all fronts without discernible drop in quality factoring in injuries and rotation for the long season.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
United need to correct mistakes from the past and improve the team/squad. Managers want problems. Because it's a better problem then being left short. I think United have to build on the momentum for sure. We should look to have much of the best English talent. I'm a big believer in energy and improving the mindset and I can tell you supporters WANT to be excited. And Sancho in this squad would be very good and btw.....we still have players coming through the system. We've more then a skeleton of a good squad.

The great thing thing though is that we wouldn't even have to rely on him to hit the ground running but as a creative outlet, he suits us too well and his age means there is a lot to work with. And if we got him, perhaps not all the focus would be on him. As a supporter, these types of things don't happen all the time. I like the fact we want the player because we've seen so many times in the past, us being prudent....and it's cost us. If we get him, the club know...we'd be in a very good position

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

I think United need to sign him and not worry about any other position. He should be the sole focus in the window.

Dan_F

Sancho can basically play all the positions that Grealish can (Grealish isn’t a centre mid). Signing him means we have more cover across the front four, which is basically the whole point of signing Grealish.

Unless we’re able shift Andreas, Lingard and Mata, we only need to sign Sancho for that front line.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sancho can basically play all the positions that Grealish can (Grealish isn’t a centre mid). Signing him means we have more cover across the front four, which is basically the whole point of signing Grealish.

Unless we’re able shift Andreas, Lingard and Mata, we only need to sign Sancho for that front line.
Grealish can play CM and can cover Pogba and Bruno

DuruttiColumn

I can’t see the Glazers sanctioning 100 million for Sancho when we have a younger English player smashing them in from left wing...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I can’t see the Glazers sanctioning 100 million for Sancho when we have a younger English player smashing them in from left wing...
Not sure ole will either when he’s still got other positions that need attention and there are cheaper options than Sancho for RW anyway

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I can, I think the Glazers leave the football transfer decisions to those who know what they’re on about.

CM10

Both Fred and Mctominay can cover for Pogba and are solid covers
Neither player has the quality or creativity to unlock a defence in the way Bruno or Pogba can.

One thing I've taken from seeing those two play together is how important it is to get adequate cover for them, we don't operate in the same way when one doesn't play.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
My mind was certainly more on an Allison and Van Dijk scenario than any shiny new forwards as I watched that spectacle yesterday.

AneRu

A young Englishman who is capable of creating and scoring 30 plus goals, developed by the noisy neighbours, in his early 20s and coming in to wear the number 7 shirt! This is what Woodward lives for, he knows the possibility of maximizing the club's commercial revenue rests on players like Sancho and Pogba. They will sanction it and do so at the expense of all other positions.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Neither player has the quality or creativity to unlock a defence in the way Bruno or Pogba can.

One thing I've taken from seeing those two play together is how important it is to get adequate cover for them, we don't operate in the same way when one doesn't play.
I mean how many people are as good as Bruno or Pogba. You forget when Bruno came Pogba was injured and we did well with one of Fred or Mctominay in Pogba's position. Some said Pogba has to earn his place back as ridiculous as that sounds. It's already been proven that we can still create and play well with Bruno Matic and Fred/Mctominay as our midfield trio. Our resurgence started with them

Berbasbullet

My mind was certainly more on an Allison and Van Dijk scenario than any shiny new forwards as I watched that spectacle yesterday.
But we need strength and depth up front, any of the from 5 get injured then we are painfully thin in proper quality back ups.

Berbasbullet

I mean how many people are as good as Bruno or Pogba. You forget when Bruno came Pogba was injured and we did well with one of Fred or Mctominay in Pogba's position. Some said Pogba has to earn his place back as ridiculous as that sounds. It's already been proven that we can still create and play well with Bruno Matic and Fred/Mctominay as our midfield trio. Our resurgence started with them
But at the same time if Bruno suffers an injury I’d be delighted if Grealish was the guy to fill in.

CM10

They don't need to be as good as Bruno or Pogba, but they certainly need to possess more guile and creativity than McTominay or Fred. Those aren't bad players either, but they aren't the guys to break teams down. The problem with our squad is the drop off in quality from our starters to the players on the fringes - we need to bridge that.

One of the reasons Man City are such a potent attacking force is because they have solutions everywhere. If Sterling or Mahrez aren't firing they can throw on Bernardo Silva or Foden, we need that same level of competition. Else one or two injuries can ruin your season, as has been the case this year.

jamesjimmybyrondean

But at the same time if Bruno suffers an injury I’d be delighted if Grealish was the guy to fill in.
I do think Sancho can play Bruno's role. If we get Sancho and a DM, we'd be sorted in midfield and attack for now.

In order of efficiency I think this should be our options :

LW - Rashford, James, Sancho, Martial
ST - Martial Ighalo Greenwood Rashford
RW - Sancho Greenwood James
AM - Bruno Sancho Mata
CM - Pogba Fred Mctominay
DM - Matic Rice (just threw any DM name in there)

I'm still abit undecided whether we need a DM over AM. I'd like to see more of Fred in the DM role and if he plays well there then I'm all for getting Grealish

AneRu

I agree and if there is some money left, buy a quality CB whilst selling some of our poor CBs
Agree with this, in an ideal world we should be signing three starters or at least two starters and a young DM to blood in. The two starters should be a Right Winger/Forward and a CB, I think on Maguire we sort of messed up our big Centre Half investment and we now need to upgrade on Lindelof so that we have a player that will complement Maguire better.

In midfield I don't trust Matic to complete a season with consistency, I don't think Fred can play in a two with Pogba and Mctominay's passing and positioning isn't good enough to play as DM but we can make do with them over a season hence why I think, if we can we should buy a young DM to groom and rotate with Matic.

The challenge now would be how to fund those moves and this depends on what figure the Glazers will provide as our net spend. Recent history suggests that we will have £80m to £100m before sales and the Sancho signing gobbles that up. We are going to have to have a fire sale to raise the remaining £80m or so needed to sign a new CB and DM.

Redfrog

I don't get people saying someone will be relegeated on the bench.
We need competition and injuries will happen.
We were screwed this year because of injuries to Pogba, Rashford, Martial.
Sancho can play left, right and as a 10. He will be ideal signing.
I even think we need one more signing in attack as Ighalo and James can be usefull but are not good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.