Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
He might be taking Rashford's spot. His passing and movement improved but Greenwood is having a bigger impact.
I don't see anyone of these four taking anyone else's spot.
Over a 60 game season, all four will have form or fitness issues.
Hence why having four equally talented players for 3 spots is perfect.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Say Mason continues in this form. Does Ole scrap Sancho and go for a backup like Adame Traore or Zaha?

It is hard for me to say as I've only seen Sancho play under 10 times.
Sancho can play LW, RW & No 10 role, all to a very high level. He's not strictly a RW. Greenwood is playing great off the right but if you saw him at youth level then you'd see a versatile No 9 that would score a hell of a lot of goals. His game is perfect for it, he just needs another year maybe to develop physically and then he'll be ready to play there for the first team.

But Sancho is an amazing player. It's madness to question it. Honestly he'd be our best player if he could replicate what he's shown at Dortmund on a consistent basis. And let's not forget that he's still only young himself and will get even better. We simply can't miss out on him.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I'm not sure he's as good as Sancho right now! Let alone better. That's just wild talk.

But if Greenwood keeps scoring, we might start getting very serious doubts about booting 100m into a player just 2 years older than him.
Is it wild talk though? If he was somewhere else, especially abroad, he’d soon be getting hyped up the same as Sancho.

I do like the idea of having these 4 to choose from though. With Rashford not performing at the mo it would be good to have another option.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It's tricky. The four of them are all top class when in form. But take any of our 3 out and the quality drops enormously. Injuries, 60ish games, they'd all get more than enough football. It would only really be an issue when picking a first XI in the major matches - who to leave out. But it's also a healthy environment to have serious competition.
Yeah I think you’re right. It’d be excellent to have those options.

RazorOz

Is it wild talk though? If he was somewhere else, especially abroad, he’d soon be getting hyped up the same as Sancho.

I do like the idea of having these 4 to choose from though. With Rashford not performing at the mo it would be good to have another option.
You pretty much answer why it's wild talk in your answer. Greenwood hasn't played enough games to even really put him in that bracket.

Tbh I think people there's much ado about nothing with this worrying about eating into Greenwood's time. In the long term Sancho and Greenwood won't even play the same position, Greenwood is much more of a #9, Sancho in theory could play anywhere, but will play from the wings predominantly.

People put the blinkers on when you're in good form and think it will last forever, but it doesn't, what happens when we're out of form or as everyone says injuries hit, our squad is so weak it's untrue.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
You pretty much answer why it's wild talk in your answer. Greenwood hasn't played enough games to even really put him in that bracket.

Tbh I think people there's much ado about nothing with this worrying about eating into Greenwood's time. In the long term Sancho and Greenwood won't even play the same position, Greenwood is much more of a #9, Sancho in theory could play anywhere, but will play from the wings predominantly.

People put the blinkers on when you're in good form and think it will last forever, but it doesn't, what happens when we're out of form or as everyone says injuries hit, our squad is so weak it's untrue.
I think we've all seen enough to know he's an incredible talent. On the other hand, I reckon most haven't actually seen that much of Sancho.

But yes, the depth will be good for us.

RedCurry

The amount of pressure on this kid will be absolutely immense. The way some fans talk about him is as if he’s a finished article even though he’s very much still learning the game.

RC89

The amount of pressure on this kid will be absolutely immense. The way some fans talk about him is as if he’s a finished article even though he’s very much still learning the game.
And he'll likely have to justify displacing Sancho.

In Rainbows

I don't think he'll have immense pressure. Not anymore than Greenwood or the others. I think fans are past looking for 1 player to carry the load. With Pogba and Bruno teaming up, I feel like fans have finally understood that we're relying on everyone to pull through in the sense that if someone isn't dominant, another will step up in their place.

RedCurry

I don't think he'll have immense pressure. Not anymore than Greenwood or the others. I think fans are past looking for 1 player to carry the load. With Pogba and Bruno teaming up, I feel like fans have finally understood that we're relying on everyone to pull through in the sense that if someone isn't dominant, another will step up in their place.
I hope you’re right but fans are usually a lot more patient towards their academy players than players who cost exorbitant fee.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He is actually walking into the perfect scenario. If he came in last summer it would have been Pogba all over again. Pressure for him to be THE man. Not anymore. When the whole team is firing you walk in to a easier situation and it will help improve your game just like it’s doing for Pogba now. You can take a bit of time to settle in as well.

beingshe7don

With Mason turning it on while playing on the RW, how is Ole gonna justify to Ed and the board about spending 90 - 100m on Sancho?

DSG

That wasn't the point. The point is that a lot of clubs would easily pay such a sum next year even if he had just one year left on his contract. I mean that is really nothing in the current age (it's a freaking Pepe) and COVID won't lower prices forever which everyone in Dortmund knows too.

They will also look at the whole Havertz thing that is going on and think "why should an older player that isn't english and who scored less over the last two seasons be sold for more". I doubt that Dortmund wants to look weaker on the transfer market than freaking Leverkusen.
So my expectation is that Havertz will go for 80-90 (maybe 100m with bonuses) in total while Dortmund will insist on 100m+bonuses to bring it up to 120m in total. That would be in line with deals like Dembele which had a similar back and forth and Dortmund got exactly what they wanted from the beginning.
I just don't see a reason for them to sell for less. Unlike Dembele Sancho isn't even creating any pressure and Dortmund doesn't need such an influx of money (they got Haaland and Can in the winter break as early next season signings). They really only need to invest bigger if they sell Sancho.
I guess nobody needs a twitter-message to know how "relaxed" Woodward always is. He proofed this for years. Its interessting, you have two clubs, one is nearly always the first with their buisness and transfers fninshed, having solved everything before its gets busy. The other is nearly always the last of all clubs, preparing bids and all this. Now they have to meet each other. I guess it was for a reason that Dortmund pronounced a deadline day. A professionall DoF at United would have known the circumstances (you need to have in mind to deal with other clubs). With Woodward you need to bump him into with his nose.
Wait, iam preparing a post.

Nah. Sancho is/was a great footballer in our team. I enjoyed having him here, i think he enjoyed it too. We bought him for an apple and an egg, now getting a massive fee for him. I couldn't be more relaxed. Zorc is a genius. I wouldn't switch, if i had the choice between being a United fan and being desperate for a RW since years and now have to argue with my mates and forums how much we want or can pay for him, or being a Dortmund fan, sitting relaxed in a chair, seeing massive sums here and there, and knowing that Zorc got his future plans already in the agenda... It was a good time with Sancho. Now he helps getting the club more and more up on the ladder, exactly that was the plan. So, pay Woodward pay! You lazy bastard! So that we can go on.
If Zorc is a genius, why is Dortmund going to lose 45m this season? They have to sell Sancho, they have to sell their stars every year to break even: Gotze, Lewandowski, Kagawa, Mhiki, Hummels, Dembele, Aubameyang, Pulisic, Gundogan... It's a really fine line they are treading every season. Woodward knows next to nothing about football, but the man can read a balance sheet. He knows you need to sell Sancho or get loans at 8% to cover operating costs. He knows that if you wait until next summer to sell Sancho, the fee will go down and you won't be able to pay your loans back.

And not win trophies...

What happens when they miss on a prospect and they don't have anyone worthwhile to sell? Borrow from the bankers? Zorc is a genius until he's not, and then you are fecked. And in the meantime, you'll be losing to Bayern every year.

I actually like Dortmund, they are fun to watch. Leaky defense, all out attack. But if I was a fan, I'd be kind of pissed off the way your club is run. Too cheap or unable to keep all of that talent.

wrinklydong

With Mason turning it on while playing on the RW, how is Ole gonna justify to Ed and the board about spending 90 - 100m on Sancho?
"Hi Ed, get Sancho, get trophies, get fanbase, sell t-shirts, get sponsors, share up, money good" A friend of mine who knows someone high up was in the meeting and Woodward was clapping his hands over his head after the discussion.

mav_9me

I don't see anyone of these four taking anyone else's spot.
Over a 60 game season, all four will have form or fitness issues.
Hence why having four equally talented players for 3 spots is perfect.
Sancho can play LW, RW & No 10 role, all to a very high level. He's not strictly a RW. Greenwood is playing great off the right but if you saw him at youth level then you'd see a versatile No 9 that would score a hell of a lot of goals. His game is perfect for it, he just needs another year maybe to develop physically and then he'll be ready to play there for the first team.

But Sancho is an amazing player. It's madness to question it. Honestly he'd be our best player if he could replicate what he's shown at Dortmund on a consistent basis. And let's not forget that he's still only young himself and will get even better. We simply can't miss out on him.
It is so obvious to me. I can't understand why people can't see it. These 3 are not going to play 60 games. Not a reasonable expectation.

Skeezix

Everytime Greenwood scores, he knocks off 5 million £ from the price of Sancho.

ReddevilTinu

He may be good signing with 60m and add-ons. We need to take into account the teams work load in a full season of 60-70 matches at the highest level.

Then we need to look into midfield and defense for squad depth and Ighalo loan may not be extended.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I guess nobody needs a twitter-message to know how "relaxed" Woodward always is. He proofed this for years. Its interessting, you have two clubs, one is nearly always the first with their buisness and transfers fninshed, having solved everything before its gets busy. The other is nearly always the last of all clubs, preparing bids and all this. Now they have to meet each other. I guess it was for a reason that Dortmund pronounced a deadline day. A professionall DoF at United would have known the circumstances (you need to have in mind to deal with other clubs). With Woodward you need to bump him into with his nose.
Before I elaborate on the bolded parts I’d just like to kindly point out that all your subjective and assumptive statements might need a fact check hence the need for elaboration..

1) Not sure what evidence you have to suggest Woodward has always been relaxed..when in fact he’s been there with a checkbook proactively spending close to a £1bn since SAF left. We spent backing each manager spontaneously and only seemed to be relaxed or (perhaps cautious?) when we weren’t sure if we should back our managers any further and sometimes rightfully so.

2)The one that is nearly always first with their business is usually buying up and coming talent at peanuts£ or buying has-beens/mediocre talent so the negotiations are very easy. All the same while the one that’s always last with their business is trying to buy the best in the market, players like the one you nurture for us while your fans are inclined to accept mediocrity year over year (mediocrity because in your league there’s no point coming 2nd when the 1st club hasn’t changed for almost a decade so everyone below isn’t champion level). Sure you get into the CL but all it gets you is more money and no trophies. The point is that your argument is again factually baseless because your club has not been able to back their strategy of getting business done early in correlation to winning trophies/cups. What have you gained by being prompt in the transfer market?

3) Sure our structure does lack a DoF but that’s because our structure has a very strong infrastructure and maybe we know how to survive without a DoF (at-least in the short term if not the long term?) To blatantly state that the lack of a DoF is affecting our transfer policy is again factually baseless. There is a whole further elaborate argument to be made in defence of being okay without a DoF recently but I don’t want to stray away too far from the topic of this thread (Sancho).

If you decide to respond back, perhaps you can convince me otherwise, with some factual data or evidence to back your response with?

To conclude, yes now both our clubs have to meet each other (again) in an upcoming transaction (Sancho), so I am actually eager to see the sums that will be agreed, how the deal is designed in terms of the breakup of the payment fee, and if this deadline that you’re talking about (again presumptuous) played a role in speeding up the transfer.

Last edited:

Godfather

To be brutally honest I don't even care if he joins. If eh does fine, but he'll have to knock one of our front three out of the starting line up. Good luck with that.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
To be brutally honest I don't even care if he joins. If eh does fine, but he'll have to knock one of our front three out of the starting line up. Good luck with that.
Chances are, some of the players get injured anyway - so you do not need always to actively make that decision.

EwanI Ted

Say Mason continues in this form. Does Ole scrap Sancho and go for a backup like Adame Traore or Zaha?

It is hard for me to say as I've only seen Sancho play under 10 times.
Don't think so, they're different types. Sancho is definitely a wide creative attacker while Greenwood looks like he's developing into more of a pure striker.

EwanI Ted

I just find it hilarious how some never ever learn. Of course we still need Sancho. The short term memory of people on here is staggering.
Its 20+ years since United showed that having multiple first team quality strikers going for a small number of slots was not only doable, but was essential for dominance. It is odd that some people are still failing to grasp that all these years later.

Judas

Open to offers
People see teams like City with their vast array of options and still think "oooo we can't upset anyone, best just stick with what we have competition might make them sulk!". Absolutely pathetic.

Drainy

Sancho can play anywhere across the attacking midfield 3

Rashford in the wide positions and up top

Greenwood on the right, and eventually up top or number 10

Martial up top or on the left

James on either wing

All of them would get a lot of games next year. Both as starts and off the bench.

Judas

Open to offers
The amount of games we play is mad, we need the depth. Our midfield is still lacking massively for me as our main option off the bench is Andreas who couldn't be further away from the level we're trying to reach. So yes we still need a lot.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
One or two injuries to either of our current front three and we get Lingard/Pereira starting again. Then these same people will complain.
Yes, you can see the drop off in quality once Bruno/Pogba/Martial etc are subbed. Good job in these games, we put it to bed before. Won’t always be the case

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
[/Q
I've seen a few people say this. I would say be quiet Ed and thank me later. That's it. There is no point having this conversation if people have to ask this question. People lose form. People get injured. It gives us stronger options. It means we can rotate and the drop off isn't so high etc. There are many reasons. You buy Sancho to make teams panic so that they can't just put two men on Greenwood because in other areas of the pitch, you have players similar who can hurt you. There are so many reasons...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Greenwood will have serious dips in form like all young platers. Same with Rashford and Martial. We still need this guy.

reddevilchennai

There is no need to explain it to Ed. Ed already loves the idea of having one of the best players of the next generation in United shirt. Sancho is a player in the mould of Neymar, Pogba, Ronaldo who is marketable, sells more shirt and will attract more business to United.

And after the emergence of Greenwood, many on this thread has been saying no need to sign Sancho. We are going to play around 60 games next season. James is a squad player, an impact sub but not a starter. If there is any injury to Rashford or Greenwood, James would be starting and he doesn't have an impact as the other two. So I would love the idea of bringing Sancho who can play on either wings, as a 10. Greenwood can play at RW as a striker. Rashford can play LW as a striker. It's a selection headache for OGS but we fans need to be happy having so many options in the forward line.

PS : We can get more farther with Sancho and Greenwood rather than with Greenwood alone.

Last edited:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Its 20+ years since United showed that having multiple first team quality strikers going for a small number of slots was not only doable, but was essential for dominance. It is odd that some people are still failing to grasp that all these years later.
Exactly! If people are having problems figuring out how 4 players can fit into 3 positions over a 60 game season this place is going to combust when we also add a top quality number 9 to the quartet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.