Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Think so. It's a bit broken English but he's basically saying If United qualify for the CL then Sancho is expecting us to bid £120m to sign him this summer.
Sancho is what we need and all that. but can we just sign players who really want to play for us? The likes of bruno, for instance.

So many teams can still be successful without having Sancho in their team.

nainaisson

Yes. Dortmund don't expect us to bid for Sancho if we miss out on the CL.

In those circumstances, I wouldn't expect us to, either.
According to reliable people (who exactly, I can't remember) Sancho was willing to join and Dortmund were willing to sell last summer window, but we were more concerned with overhauling our defence. If we pass on him again this upcoming window, I think it's more likely due to the financial repercussions of not making the Champions League than his unwillingness to join a Europa League club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'm confident enough that Sancho would have seen us playing some good stuff and are on a really good run right now.

We might stumble at the final hurdle but i'm confident this "form" is here to stay now and we will be pushing top 4 next year comfortably. It might seem a risk for him but he will be earning more money, playing with just as good if not better players, and back home in England. I really don't think being in the CL will be THAT important for him.

Teja

Like last year when he didnt entertain their offers?
Also how often do bidding wars happen really? From Dortmund's perspective, even if a bunch of clubs are in for him next year, unless Sancho signs a new contract, his transfer fee will be pretty depressed for a player of his quality. It's in both clubs' interests to get a deal done this summer.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Like last year when he didnt entertain their offers?
He'll only sign for an English club I think, he wants to be back in the UK with his family.

I think it's nonsense to say about Bayern and Real Madrid I agree.

sport2793

It was a quote from Raphael Honigstein in a podcast saying something like "Sancho coming to United doesn't depend on CL qualification." But it seems its been deleted now.
Yep it looks like it was a misquote.

Rolaholic

So he's commited to us simply because of lack of options?
Not sure how you were able to read into his intentions from Neville's comments but I think he's saying what we've all known already, that we have a free run at him this summer and he reportedly wants to go back to England much sooner rather than later so it makes all the sense in the world for both sides.

Not to mention he's already good mates with quite a few of our players who've played with him on the international level and we seem to be on the up at the moment in terms of our project. The main issue from what's been reported so far seems to be how just exactly much it'll take for Dortmund to accept this summer, not whether if he'd agree to join.

He'sRaldo

Not sure how you were able to read into his intentions from Neville's comments but I think he's saying what we've all known already, that we have a free run at him this summer and he reportedly wants to go back to England much sooner rather than later so it makes all the sense in the world for both sides.

Not to mention he's already good mates with quite a few of our players who've played with him on the international level and we seem to be on the up at the moment in terms of our project. The main issue from what's been reported so far seems to be how just exactly much it'll take for Dortmund to accept this summer, not whether if he'd agree to join.
Neville's words sound like "better hurry up before the big boys come around; or else we'll have no chance" Makes it sound like if we were in competition for him we wouldn't be first choice.

I hope it's more what you described, where he prefers us over other options, than us having to quickly get him before other clubs start to show more interest.

He'sRaldo

Neville isn't Sancho. He's just a mouthpiece so take it was a pinch of salt.
True. I guess I just don't like the train of thought that we always have to be scared of the big boys; we're one of them, especially for English talent.

Rolaholic

Neville's words sound like "better hurry up before the big boys come around; or else we'll have no chance" Makes it sound like if we were in competition for him we wouldn't be first choice.

I hope it's more what you described, where he prefers us over other options, than us having to quickly get him before other clubs start to show more interest.
Think he said it to try to get Ed/the board to move with urgency when the window opens but for sure you'd want to sign someone who wants to come :lol:

Thankfully that seems to be the case here from what's been reported up to now, it just seems that Dortmund isn't being too realistic with his valuation at the moment given the pandemic related effects on the market.

My only Eric

Imagine we had the opportunity to rotate this lad with Mason or sub Bruno early to reduce fatigue. Move Sancho to 10 and Greenwood right.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Honigstein doesn't think Champions League qualification will be a deciding factor in Sancho joining us.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Honigstein doesn't think Champions League qualification will be a deciding factor in Sancho joining us.

I actually hope it isn't a deciding factor. Outside the fact that it means we'll sign him regardless, I've had enough of players coming to the club for reasons other than truly wanting to play for the club.

Silas

I never get it when CL qualification is mentioned as a factor for young players. As long as the project/our trajectory is convincing enough, we'll be fine. Not as if next season's his last chance to win silverware.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
I never get it when CL qualification is mentioned as a factor for young players. As long as the project/our trajectory is convincing enough, we'll be fine. Not as if next season's his last chance to win silverware.
It just shows how ambitious they are. Lot more people watch UCL and you’re tested more cause you will play some of Europe’s best. It might affect bonuses. If you play Champions league your bonuses for goals, assists and reaching certain stages will be higher than if you are in the Europa league.

Silas

It just shows how ambitious they are. Lot more people watch UCL and you’re tested more cause you will play some of Europe’s best. It might affect bonuses. If you play Champions league your bonuses for goals, assists and reaching certain stages will be higher than if you are in the Europa league.
Of course, but if you're joining a team you believe is good enough to seriously compete in the medium-term, does it really matter if they narrowly miss out at this point? It's not as if joining us means he's automatically resigning himself to 4 years of Europa League.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Of course, but if you're joining a team you believe is good enough to seriously compete in the medium-term, does it really matter if they narrowly miss out at this point? It's not as if joining us means he's automatically resigning himself to 4 years of Europa League.
I mean sure but again there is no guarantee he will finish top four even if he goes to United right? They look at past few years and see the trajectory. It hasn’t been great for us these past few years. Sure it’s looking up and in the right direction for the first time in a while but still question marks about consistency. Maybe that’s why players think twice.

Silas

I mean sure but again there is no guarantee he will finish top four even if he goes to United right? They look at past few years and see the trajectory. It hasn’t been great for us these past few years. Sure it’s looking up and in the right direction for the first time in a while but still question marks about consistency. Maybe that’s why players think twice.
To be fair, I'd like to think he'd back himself as someone that could get us to a level where Top 4 (and beyond) is a given anyway, considering how close we are now. And yeah, that's in line with my point that it isn't really a binary situation regarding CL qualification, but something a lot more complex with a lot of context to consider.

I can't imagine that after weighing all this up, Sancho's going to boil it down to "if they lose to Leicester, I ain't signing."

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
CL qualification will probably mean we may just be able to afford him. With the impact of covid I don't think the monry will be there to buy him otherwise. So it's not really about Sancho not wanting EL football but more that we probably can't even entertain the signing without that badly needed injection of cash.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think where CL mstters is us being able to go the extra mile and pay closer to what Dortmund wants.
Without CL money, we might just decide it is beyond us this summer.

romufc

I think where CL mstters is us being able to go the extra mile and pay closer to what Dortmund wants.
This is probably what it is. I don't think us attracting Sancho depends on CL.

If we lose out on CL 2 years in a row, we lose alot of revenue, a few of our sponsors drop by 30% and we could lose out on £80m by not being in the CL.

CL makes it easier for us to pay the money for Sancho.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

That makes lot of sense. If we are talking about old players who dont have years left in their career then they can make short term decision. For a young player, one season in CL shouldn't be a problem. It should be long term plans for the team and how manager wants to fit him in the team.

RUCK4444

That makes lot of sense. If we are talking about old players who dont have years left in their career then they can make short term decision. For a young player, one season in CL shouldn't be a problem. It should be long term plans for the team and how manager wants to fit him in the team.
I’ve been saying this for months. Don’t know why anybody places massive importance on CL in this transfer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Didi Hamann said the same and it makes alot of sense.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This. I'm confident we'll sign Sancho irrespective of UCL. We're building something special here and he has outgrown Dortmund.

GorgeousGeorge

I very highly doubt Ole would sign Sancho if he has told him he will ‘only’ join Utd if they secure Champions League football next season. It goes against everything Ole has been espousing about what he wants in a player joining Manchester United

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Think so. It's a bit broken English but he's basically saying If United qualify for the CL then Sancho is expecting us to bid £120m to sign him this summer.
Sancho is? Is he handling negotiations for his own transfer?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I very highly doubt Ole would sign Sancho if he has told him he will ‘only’ join Utd if they secure Champions League football next season. It goes against everything Ole has been espousing about what he wants in a player joining Manchester United
Where in Essex are you mate?

Classical Mechanic

Agree. Sancho will look at the direction of the club and it is positive right now regardless if we make the CL or not. He'd further enhance our prospects too and not insignificantly.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Really good point

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Sancho coming has never been reliant on UCL football. He'd of come last summer if Dortmund has been willing to sell/we could afford him

Status
Not open for further replies.