Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcking

Does anyone else feel that we could have our own Sancho already at our club in Mason Greenwood? Couple of years younger yes, but I feel if we buy Sancho, wouldn’t that become a hinderance on Greenwoods opportunities?

I know that Greenwood has played as a striker but I’m pretty sure in pre season he played on the right. He even played on the right when he came on as a substitute over the weekend.

I think Sancho is just one of those "Glamour" signings that a lot of people seem to crave.

Greenwood has all the attributes to play as a winger; pace, both footed, intelligent runs, dribbling and a great shot....

Anyone else share this view?
Four players for three positions isn't too much imo.

SamoyedSam

Supports
Notts County
I don't see any indication that Sancho isn't happy where he is. Dortmund are a big club with an improving young side. They've got a clear target to topple Bayern Munich and progress in the CL and I think Sancho sees himself as an integral part of that. I see him there for at least 2/3 more seasons, by which time he will have his pick of the biggest clubs in the World if he develops as is expected, including the big two in Spain.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't see any indication that Sancho isn't happy where he is. Dortmund are a big club with an improving young side. They've got a clear target to topple Bayern Munich and progress in the CL and I think Sancho sees himself as an integral part of that. I see him there for at least 2/3 more seasons, by which time he will have his pick of the biggest clubs in the World if he develops as is expected, including the big two in Spain.
I think there's a good possibility he moves next summer. Ornstein and Kajumba have both reported he prefers United if he was to move back to England. We've already done alot of the hard running for this deal according to reputable sources and I fully expect us to go big on this potential transfer and break the British transfer record in the process. Players like Pepe were possibly there for the taking, but why settle for second best when there's a good chance we can sign the the one we want who IMO is a considerably better talent in comparison.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
So how does sancho fit in with the type of players we are targeting? You know, players that want to play for us? This transfer was apparently nailed on until we didn't get top 4. Only wants to come if we have CL football is just another problem for us if he came and we didn't qualify for a season while he's here.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I've said it before, unless Dortmund wants to sell him I see no reason why he would move away from Germany any time soon. He is 19, at a top European club that is known for developing young talent, he is clearly loving life there. Having made the massive decision to move I don't think he would be in any rush back, I honestly really respect his decision to go and more young bench warming talent should be instructing their agents to get them such a move.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

I've said it before, unless Dortmund wants to sell him I see no reason why he would move away from Germany any time soon. He is 19, at a top European club that is known for developing young talent, he is clearly loving life there. Having made the massive decision to move I don't think he would be in any rush back, I honestly really respect his decision to go and more young bench warming talent should be instructing their agents to get them such a move.
Next summer he has been there for 3 years. Should be ready for the next step? With only 2 years left on his contract I’d guess Dortmund would want to cash in.

3KDré

So how does sancho fit in with the type of players we are targeting? You know, players that want to play for us? This transfer was apparently nailed on until we didn't get top 4. Only wants to come if we have CL football is just another problem for us if he came and we didn't qualify for a season while he's here.
He clearly did want to be here until we didn't get top 4. If we were almost sure to get top 4 until we didn't, it suggests to most players that the club is being run poorly. Surely it is then better for them to wait a season to see if we're back on the right path?
And if we want ambitious players, then we should go for him. It shows a lot of ambition to distance yourself from a big transfer if it furthers your development and career.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
To return to the city he grew up in? To play for a bigger team in a bigger league? To grow his own financial interests? To get paid an extortionate wage? And you see no reason?

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
To return to the city he grew up in? To play for a bigger team in a bigger league? To grow his own financial interests? To get paid an extortionate wage? And you see no reason?
Has plenty of time on his side, I'm not attacking United here BTW, is he a known United fan? I would hope a kid with his head screwed on wouldn't just follow the cash. IF he wants to return to England I am sure City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United will all be after him so he will have his pick.

Hell if he continues developing as he is, why not aim for Real or Barca? I just like how he has gone about his development and would hope he wouldn't automatically want to come running back home.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Has plenty of time on his side, I'm not attacking United here BTW, is he a known United fan? I would hope a kid with his head screwed on wouldn't just follow the cash. IF he wants to return to England I am sure City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United will all be after him so he will have his pick.
He was a Chelsea boyhood fan, but I think that's mainly growing up in London in the years of Mourinho domination.

Most of the links seem to come from him being really good friends with Rashford and Lingard, Solskjaer seems to love him, and we need a RW of his ability.

The press themselves have named him number 1 target all summer and said he is very happy to come, so we shall see.

Whether Chelsea will be able to convince him is also possible. I just hope they don't get the CL this year!

Sancho and Hudson odoi could be the wingers for England and Chelsea for 10 years.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
He was a Chelsea boyhood fan, but I think that's mainly growing up in London in the years of Mourinho domination.

Most of the links seem to come from him being really good friends with Rashford and Lingard, Solskjaer seems to love him, and we need a RW of his ability.

The press themselves have named him number 1 target all summer and said he is very happy to come, so we shall see.

Whether Chelsea will be able to convince him is also possible. I just hope they don't get the CL this year!

Sancho and Hudson odoi could be the wingers for England and Chelsea for 10 years.
If the City clause real, they will have the chance to match any accepted bid?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Hell if he continues developing as he is, why not aim for Real or Barca? I just like how he has gone about his development and would hope he wouldn't automatically want to come running back home.
You said same thing on AWB saying player is idiot if he wants to move, also it's idiotic by the club to accept 45 million bid. In the end club accepted 45 million bid and player wanted to move to ManUtd.

roonster09

Scout

One bad injury and he won't have time on his side. There are many players who had very promising start and then faded away or didn't live up to the expectations. Football growth is not linear.

Adam-Utd

If the City clause real, they will have the chance to match any accepted bid?
Honestly, don't know. By most accounts though he was very unhappy with City, he didn't like how Pep treated him at all.

I very much doubt he will be going back there unless they make him a huge apology (doesn't seem like Peps style)

Lynty

Very confident he's United bound next season.

Pogba out

Sancho + midfield starter + midfield prospect in

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Honestly, don't know. By most accounts though he was very unhappy with City, he didn't like how Pep treated him at all.

I very much doubt he will be going back there unless they make him a huge apology (doesn't seem like Peps style)
Nah I can see him having issues with Pep and City, I know Liverpool and us were interested in him but City refused to even consider selling him.

roonster09

Scout
Well I guess I will be wrong again wont I? :lol:
Good chance if many clubs want him to sign and offer him big wages. Next summer he will have 2 years left on contract, so it will be decision time for Dortmund.

Adam-Utd

Nah I can see him having issues with Pep and City, I know Liverpool and us were interested in him but City refused to even consider selling him.
Yep, rumours are we also wanted him in the January window and they refused to sell to us also. That's why they sold to Dortmund for a very low fee with clauses, rather than letting him walk for free. Would have been interesting where he ended up in that case.

ivaldo

It's not just following the cash. He'd be returning to his native country, to play in front of the biggest crowds in the biggest domestic league in the world, for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I fail to see how that isn't incredibly desirable, even when you don't factor in the considerable wage and international exposure we can offer. They might well be interested but can they match the fee we would be willing to pay? I very much doubt that.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Lost in this discussion is the important point that Ornstein also said that Manchester United was the only English club trying to sign him last year, which is important context for the claim that United was his preferred destination. Could it be that he would have preferred United even if other English clubs were coming in for him? Sure. Could it be that his preference would have changed if some other big club closer to winning big trophies or with a more appealing project had expressed similar interest? Obviously.

I think United, City, Liverpool, and Chelsea will all compete very hard to sign him if it becomes clear that he wants to move, alongside Barca, Real, and others.

I have no idea who will win that race but the idea that United have a particularly high chance (like >50%) seems like wishful thinking to me.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
It's not just following the cash. He'd be returning to his native country, to play in front of the biggest crowds in the biggest domestic league in the world, for one of the biggest clubs in the world. I fail to see how that isn't incredibly desirable, even when you don't factor in the considerable wage and international exposure we can offer. They might well be interested but can they match the fee we would be willing to pay? I very much doubt that.
I have never said paying for United wouldn't be desirable, I would say a lot will depend on how Ole gets on this season.

Andersons Dietician

Lost in this discussion is the important point that Ornstein also said that Manchester United was the only English club trying to sign him last year, which is important context for the claim that United was his preferred destination. Could it be that he would have preferred United even if other English clubs were coming in for him? Sure. Could it be that his preference would have changed if some other big club closer to winning big trophies or with a more appealing project had expressed similar interest? Obviously.

I think United, City, Liverpool, and Chelsea will all compete very hard to sign him if it becomes clear that he wants to move, alongside Barca, Real, and others.

I have no idea who will win that race but the idea that United have a particularly high chance (like >50%) seems like wishful thinking to me.
I’m wondering if City can actually afford the outlay it would cost for him as they’ve often whipped out the we can’t afford to do that or it would break our structure stuff in recent windows. They pulled out of VVD because they couldn’t match the fee and we are being told they couldn’t afford Maguire. Sanchez, Fred. I’m not convinced they have the financial clout to buy 1 player costing above 100mil.

Maybe they have an agreement with BVB from when they sold Sancho or maybe staggered payments or if that is the only player they are targeting in a window. We’ll see I guess. If United are improved and in the Champions league and he is tempted by coming back to England can’t see why United wouldn’t be enticing.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I’m wondering if City can actually afford the outlay it would cost for him as they’ve often whipped out the we can’t afford to do that or it would break our structure stuff in recent windows. They pulled out of VVD because they couldn’t match the fee and we are being told they couldn’t afford Maguire. Sanchez, Fred. I’m not convinced they have the financial clout to buy 1 player costing above 100mil.

Maybe they have an agreement with BVB from when they sold Sancho or maybe staggered payments or if that is the only player they are targeting in a window. We’ll see I guess. If United are improved and in the Champions league and he is tempted by coming back to England can’t see why United wouldn’t be enticing.
I think they'll be fine.

One big issue for City with FPP is that it is evaluated on a three year average and they spent an ungodly amount of money in the 16-17 and 17-18 years, which means that they had to be more controlled in 18-19 (last year), and 19-20 (this year). But by next summer the huge outlays of 16-17 and 17-18 won't matter for FPP purposes.

Plus they may still end up selling Sane to Bayern, which even with the ACL injury is likely to net them 100m.

Andersons Dietician

I think they'll be fine.

One big issue for City with FPP is that it is evaluated on a three year average and they spent an ungodly amount of money in the 16-17 and 17-18 years, which means that they had to be more controlled in 18-19 (last year), and 19-20 (this year). But by next summer the huge outlays of 16-17 and 17-18 won't matter for FPP purposes.

Plus they may still end up selling Sane to Bayern, which even with the ACL injury is likely to net them 100m.
That would make sense then and yeah if they sell Sane which seems insane they would have cash but then you’ve got Mahrez and B.silva that play in your position and although I think B.Silva was bought as the long term replacement for D.Silva you’ve got to wonder if that would still be the case with Foden coming through.

I guess I’m just not convinced City will be in for him unless something happens with the people I mentioned. As for a United perspective I’d be surprised if we weren’t in for him but then who knows by this time next year James might be on absolute fire negating the need for a Sancho.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
There is NOTHING to be gained in playing for a ‘Bigger’ team.

Dortmund will compete for more titles in the next 2 years than United will.

The salary carrot I can see as appetising. The football, no. It must be phenomenal to play in front of the Dortmund fans every other week.

Potentially Finishing 1st (but probably 2nd) in Germany is far better than struggling for top 4 in england.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!

The salary carrot I can see as appetising. The football, no. It must be phenomenal to play in front of the Dortmund fans every other week.

Potentially Finishing 1st (but probably 2nd) in Germany is far better than struggling for top 4 in england.
Exactly, that's why Dortmund are so good at holding onto their best players every season.

ivaldo

So will Celtic. Winning the Premier League will mean significantly more to him than winning the Bundesliga in a 2 horse race, that's for sure. There are numerous benefits to playing for a bigger team.

UnrelatedPsuedo

So will Celtic. Winning the Premier League will mean significantly more to him than winning the Bundesliga in a 2 horse race, that's for sure. There are numerous benefits to playing for a bigger team.
1. Don’t compare Scotland to Germany. It’s pathetic.

2. If you’re advocating him moving to Liverpool or City then fair play. But United are not winning the league this season or next.

What benefit would Sancho have at United over Dortmund?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
1. Don’t compare Scotland to Germany. It’s pathetic.

2. If you’re advocating him moving to Liverpool or City then fair play. But United are not winning the league this season or next.

What benefit would Sancho have at United over Dortmund?
Nobody knows who will win the league this season or next.

And people need to stop this stupid line of ‘why leave Dortmund?’. The same reason everyone has left Dortmund over the years, except Marco Reus. Young players go there for a chance to play first team football and progress. Nobody has ever seen them as any sort of pinnacle, and neither would Sancho. Simply because they are not a pinnacle in world football. Whether he comes to United isn’t guaranteed, but his will to leave Dortmund is, providing he remains good enough to attract interest.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nobody knows who will win the league this season or next.

And people need to stop this stupid line of ‘why leave Dortmund?’. The same reason everyone has left Dortmund over the years, except Marco Reus. Young players go there for a chance to play first team football and progress. Nobody has ever seen them as any sort of pinnacle, and neither would Sancho. Simply because they are not a pinnacle in world football. Whether he comes to United isn’t guaranteed, but his will to leave Dortmund is, providing he remains good enough to attract interest.
Think you quoted the wrong person?

I can 100% understand players leaving Dortmund. But only on a case by case basis.

Sancho leaving for United either last summer or next... daft.

It would go against every intelligent decision he’s made to this point.

Money is all we have to offer a talent like Sancho.

Do you, hand on heart, believe that United will challenge for more meaningful honours in the next 24 months than Dortmund?

Status
Not open for further replies.