Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

Unpopular opinion as it can get, but I don’t think he has enough to be the “future super star”. Don’t get me wrong, he’ll be an amazing footballer someday but I don’t think he has star quality.
I agree. I don't think he has that Hazard/Neymar buzz. Dembele was doing similar for Dortmund. I don't see him becoming a world class player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Hazard, before he moved to Chelsea.

Oh, player we signed? Probably Pogba. Or Rooney.
Definitely Pogba — and then, De Gea excluded, Anderson (however ridiculous it may sound now).

RedCurry

Is amazing player not enough?

what is star quality?
Not sure how to quantify what I was trying to say. But I see him growing up as a facilitator than a headline grabber. Looks very similar to a young Reus in the Dortmund side. Superstars for me, are players who carry the team. Something like Bale at Spurs, Van Persie at Arsenal then at United, Zlatan for PSG, Mbappe for a brief period at Monaco, etc.

harms

Staff
I agree. I don't think he has that Hazard/Neymar buzz. Dembele was doing similar for Dortmund. I don't see him becoming a world class player.
While I agree that he doesn't look as good as young Neymar did (and, possibly, Hazard), only 3 players looked class apart at the time — those 2 and Götze. But there are many more world class players today than those three two.

I mean, look at Sterling for example. He looked like a great prospect, but I'd never expect him to reach the heights he had reached now. Or even De Bruyne, although midfielders develop at a different rate.

harms

Staff
Not sure how to quantify what I was trying to say. But I see him growing up as a facilitator than a headline grabber. Looks very similar to a young Reus in the Dortmund side. Superstars for me, are players who carry the team. Something like Bale at Spurs, Van Persie at Arsenal then at United, Zlatan for PSG, Mbappe for a brief period at Monaco, etc.
Reus almost single-handedly carried Mönchengladbach, winning BL Player of the Year, and then won 2 more of those at Dortmund in a team that was already on a downside. It's a bit weird to criticise him for not doing exactly what he was doing. His only problems were his injuries.

Stacks

While I agree that he doesn't look as good as young Neymar did (and, possibly, Hazard), only 3 players looked class apart at the time — those 2 and Götze. But there are many more world class players today than those three two.

I mean, look at Sterling for example. He looked like a great prospect, but I'd never expect him to reach the heights he had reached now. Or even De Bruyne, although midfielders develop at a different rate.
thats under Pep Guardiola's expert coaching. Sancho maybe if he had the right instruction, teaching him deliberate movement as opposed to playing off instinct. also I don't have Sterling as world class

RedCurry

Reus almost single-handedly carried Mönchengladbach, winning BL Player of the Year, and then won 2 more of those at Dortmund in a team that was already on a downside. It's a bit weird to criticise him for not doing exactly what he was doing. His only problems were his injuries.
I specifically mentioned Reus at Dortmund didn't I? The Dortmund side that won the Bundesliga was in itself an incredible side. It was filled with amazing players. If there was one superstar in that side, it was Lewandowski. But more or less, their team did not have any superstars but collectively they were phenomenal, a bit like the German national team itself. The Dortmund side of today also has no single superstar but a collection of very good players.

harms

Staff
thats under Pep Guardiola's expert coaching. Sancho maybe if he had the right instruction, teaching him deliberate movement as opposed to playing off instinct. also I don't have Sterling as world class
Same goes for Griezmann (prolific, but not very creative left winger at Sociedad), Lewandowski (bench option for Borussia before Barrios got injured), Kane (4 loans), Eriksen (rated as a 2nd tier talent behind the likes of Hazard and Götze) et cetera et cetera.

Only a few players blew you out of the water at the very young age and then continue to develop at a ridiculous rate. Neymar did recently, but then I genuinely believe that in terms of a talent, Neymar is an all-time great (looks like he won't be fulfilling his potential though). But there are many world class players who were significantly less impressive/influential than Sancho at his age.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Not really- nothing has stopped them from spending money on elite talents (or the new shiny toys) even if they have enough talents at their disposal- world record fees or not -
Of course it has. They aren't lunatics. They've sometimes spent despite having plenty but like any club refrained on other occasions.

Stacks

Same goes for Griezmann (prolific, but not very creative left winger at Sociedad), Lewandowski (bench option for Borussia before Barrios got injured), Kane (4 loans), Eriksen (rated as a 2nd tier talent behind the likes of Hazard and Götze) et cetera et cetera.

Only a few players blew you out of the water at the very young age and then continue to develop at a ridiculous rate. Neymar did recently, but then I genuinely believe that in terms of a talent, Neymar is an all-time great (looks like he won't be fulfilling his potential though). But there are many world class players who were significantly less impressive/influential than Sancho at his age.
Some of those names I don't even rate as world class too

Alabaster Codify7

Watch some football. Learn something about football. Yes, but he might want to play with Martial, Rashford, Maguire? But i guess they represent a different club.

The attraction of Manchester United is on a different level to Everton.

The ambition of both clubs is different.

The money is different

If we have a decent season, young players would want to join United.

You, lad, are nothing more than a shill.

All you do is pop up in every single thread vehemently defending the board and owners and peddling the party line. You were sussed a while back, don't you worry.

So no, I won't be learning anything about football from you.

We'll see next summer, how far away from Everton we are, when Sancho bombs us out for a second summer running and chooses a club on the ascent.

Alabaster Codify7

Dreadful way of thinking.

If you can't see the differences between United and Everton you shouldn't be anywhere near football.

If we were in the CL next year we wouldn't win it so why should that be the be all end all. Young players should join teams that have a clear plan for the future, not just next season.

We'll let Sancho decide how far away from Everton we are, and other CL chasing players.

Clear plan for the future? What club is that? Doesnt seem to be us. Unless targeting guys like Sean Longstaff while our only top-class players want out, is a plan for the future. I suppose it is, actually. It is a plan.

Alabaster Codify7

Watch some football. Learn something about football. Yes, but he might want to play with Martial, Rashford, Maguire? But i guess they represent a different club.

The attraction of Manchester United is on a different level to Everton.

The ambition of both clubs is different.

The money is different

If we have a decent season, young players would want to join United.

I take back the shill accusation, sorry. I confused you with a different poster, who's name also begins with 'r'.

I retract that part of my response.

TheReligion

Abusive
Why would Sancho want to join a non CL team to play alongside McTominnay, Mata,Lingard, Pereira, Etc? We would be in hysteric fits of laughter if Everton fans were insistent they had a chance with Sancho and we'd be right but we are in the same boat as them.....non CL team who look unlikely to become a CL team anytime soon.
Oh shut up you miserable cnut

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We'll let Sancho decide how far away from Everton we are, and other CL chasing players.

Clear plan for the future? What club is that? Doesnt seem to be us. Unless targeting guys like Sean Longstaff while our only top-class players want out, is a plan for the future. I suppose it is, actually. It is a plan.
:lol:

Ok

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
I specifically mentioned Reus at Dortmund didn't I? The Dortmund side that won the Bundesliga was in itself an incredible side. It was filled with amazing players. If there was one superstar in that side, it was Lewandowski. But more or less, their team did not have any superstars but collectively they were phenomenal, a bit like the German national team itself. The Dortmund side of today also has no single superstar but a collection of very good players.
That team had the likes of Lewandowski, Götze (at the time rated higher or as high as Neymar), Hummels and Gündogan, all in their prime just to name a few. And other good players like Kagawa(prime).

So this comment sounds a bit ridiculous to me.

And the german side didn't have a Messi/Ronaldo, yes, but the squad was packed with world class on every single position except of LB.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Of course it has. They aren't lunatics. They've sometimes spent despite having plenty but like any club refrained on other occasions.
They have not refrained. The key signings since 2007 is below. Look at the list and tell me how many of them were actually needed ?
They don't care about talents they have in their ranks . No matter how the existing players perform, when a new shining toy is available they always buy them.

2007/08
Signed Heinze despite having Marcelo in books.
Signed Saviola and Higuain despite having Raul, Ruud,Robinho

2008/09
Signed Huntelaar, VDV despite having Sneijder and other forwards mentioned above.

2009/10
Signed Alonso,Benzema,Kaka,CR7 despite having array of attacking talents already there.
2010/11
Adebayor,Ozil,Carvalho,ADM,Khedira when they had some exciting talents in their academy.
2011/12.
Coentrao,Sahin,Varane
2012/13
Diego Lopez,Essien,Modric,
2013/2014
Bale,Casemiro,Isco,Jese,Carvajal
2014/15
Hernandez,Navas,Kroos,James,
2015/16
Casilla(A GK again) Kovacic, Danilo, Vazquez
2016/17
Diaz,Llorente,Moratta
2017/18
Cabellos,Hakimi,Hernandez
2018/19
Diaz, Vicious, Odriozola,Courtois

In short, their transfer strategy is indeed lunatic.

amolbhatia50k

Alright so they'll sign Mbappe and Sancho then becuase Madrid sign everybody. Just like they signed De Ligt this summe becuase they couldn't resist. Fecksake.

Listening down all their signings isn't really making your point stronger. You could have said that they are one of the biggest and most carefree spenders in the game, which everybody knows anyway. But to suggest that they can't resist when every new exciting talent comes along is rubbish. If that were the case they'd have signed nearly everybody.

In Rainbows

What did Neymar show that Sancho hasn't at the same age. I'm curious.

romufc

You, lad, are nothing more than a shill.

All you do is pop up in every single thread vehemently defending the board and owners and peddling the party line. You were sussed a while back, don't you worry.

So no, I won't be learning anything about football from you.

We'll see next summer, how far away from Everton we are, when Sancho bombs us out for a second summer running and chooses a club on the ascent.
:lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for the compliments.

I have defended the board ? I think you have been reading the wrong posts.

Manchester United and the stature is way bigger than the board. I am not worried about you.

Oh I highly doubt Sancho will think "hmm signing for Manutd? they are like Everton, would I sign for them?"

Nah mate he will look at Manutd like the most successful team in England.

Just read your next post, that's fine. Just to let you know, I am Glazers out.

Righteous Steps

Sterling was already one of the best players in the league at 18/19, i would say this was as much down to natural development as it was Guardiola.

Righteous Steps

already a Star for Brazil with 15 appearances and 8 goals. already made 150 first team appearances scoring 80 goals.
150 appearances in what league?

Sancho would have made as many appearances in Brazil too.

He's done little that Sancho hasn't at the same age.

Even if i rate Neymar and Hazards technical ability a bit above, no other young forward in the world apart from Mbappe is doing what Sancho is doing, and if we're talking just ability wise, Mbappe isn't as technically proficient as Hazard or Neymar either, yet could end up being regarded as a better player.

Stacks

150 appearances in what league?

Sancho would have made as many appearances in Brazil too.

He's done little that Sancho hasn't at the same age.

Even if i rate Neymar and Hazards technical ability a bit above, no other young forward in the world apart from Mbappe is doing what Sancho is doing, and if we're talking just ability wise, Mbappe isn't as technically proficient as Hazard or Neymar either, yet could end up being regarded as a better player.
Brazilian League. And no Sancho would not score near 100 goals there unless you think he is the next Neymar. Neymar broke Pele record so I guess Sancho is the mixed raced Pele? Did Sancho even score that many in the reserves, which for me is lower than Brazilian league level?

Why? because England are so much better than Brazil? He certainly would not be Brazil's leading scorer whilst playing for them since Sancho has only 2 goals for England.

He has done far more than Sancho. I am sorry but this is yet another English player being hyped up and overrated now.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Such a stupid way of thinking that. Firstly we're not signing Messi, we're talking about a 20 year old kid who's done nothing in the game, I doubt he has any over inflated ego about the quality of player he should be playing alongside. Secondly are you suggesting Dortmund have a 1-11 full of WC players? Of course they don't, don't try and tell me that Dortmund don't have their fair share of average as well. Thirdly if Sancho were to come next summer he wouldn't be the only arrival, having targeted sorting the defence this summer I have no doubts Sancho's arrival would be supplemented with more starting XI players next summer meaning the likes of Lingard will become nothing more than squad players
Don't you think Sancho can read his own stats and the papers? He's set to be (probably) one of the two to ten most expensive players of all time and you think he doesn't know his worth?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't you think Sancho can read his own stats and the papers? He's set to be (probably) one of the two to ten most expensive players of all time and you think he doesn't know his worth?
If he's stupid enough to base his worth on stats then that's his problem (and yours if you think that's a valid argument)

In Rainbows

Brazilian League. And no Sancho would not score near 100 goals there unless you think he is the next Neymar. Neymar broke Pele record so I guess Sancho is the mixed raced Pele? Did Sancho even score that many in the reserves, which for me is lower than Brazilian league level?

Why? because England are so much better than Brazil? He certainly would not be Brazil's leading scorer whilst playing for them since Sancho has only 2 goals for England.

He has done far more than Sancho. I am sorry but this is yet another English player being hyped up and overrated now.
I'm confused what gives you that much confidence in your assessment of Sancho. His technical ability is on another level, just like Neymar's was. Any difference in that department is slight.

Sancho was a standout talent in an English generation (2000) that was seen as the best in the world for its age category. It's not like he's just somebody who surprisingly just took to men's football like a fish in water. That's Rashford. While there was surprise Rashford over-exceeded expectations, there is no such thing with Sancho.

This was him at the u17 Euros. You can see his technical ability here. The only difference I see with Neymar is that Neymar sometimes tried more fancier tricks, and was the better goalscorer. Both liked to dwell on the ball to dribble past players, and both have similar technical ability.

Stacks

I'm confused what gives you that much confidence in your assessment of Sancho. His technical ability is on another level, just like Neymar's was. Any difference in that department is slight.

Sancho was a standout talent in an English generation (2000) that was seen as the best in the world for its age category. It's not like he's just somebody who surprisingly just took to men's football like a fish in water. That's Rashford. While there was surprise Rashford over-exceeded expectations, there is no such thing with Sancho.

This was him at the u17 Euros. You can see his technical ability here. The only difference I see with Neymar is that Neymar sometimes tried more fancier tricks, and was the better goalscorer. Both liked to dwell on the ball to dribble past players, and both have similar technical ability.
I ain't trying to be disrespectful and I like Jadon (he is a fellow south Londoner and my cousin knows his sister) but I couldn't care less how good players are against other 17 year olds. they are playing a different game altogether. Anderson was the top player at the Under 17's world cup.

I have watched Jadon, many times as I said and he seemed abit less refined than Neymar who was humiliating grown men. I am yet to see evidence of Jadon's shooting abililty to be near Neymar's who had close to 100 goals at this age for both club and country. I want him at United but I feel we always get carried away over here and compare all our young players to the future greats

amolbhatia50k

There's no lenearity in this. Yes, a few young players stand out as exceptional talents of their generation, but they tend to often be joined by others who you wouldn't have expected to becuase players develop differebldi. Griezemann, Lewandwski, Salah, VVD (albiet just for a year), KDB, Bernardo Silva and even Luis Suarez are all players you wouldn't put on an incredible padestal when they were teenagers.

Having said that, Sancho does look to me to be most talented teenager attacker in the game right. I think he'll among the best 5 wingers in the game for years if he's got the right mentality. But obviously we'll have to see how to handles a bigger club.

Stacks

There's no lenearity in this. Yes, a few young players stand out as exceptional talents of their generation, but they tend to often be joined by others who you wouldn't have expected to becuase players develop differebldi. Griezemann, Lewandwski, Salah, VVD (albiet just for a year), KDB, Bernardo Silva and even Luis Suarez are all players you wouldn't put on an incredible padestal when they were teenagers.

Having said that, Sancho does look to me to be most talented teenager attacker in the game right. I think he'll among the best 5 wingers in the game for years if he's got the right mentality. But obviously we'll have to see how to handles a bigger club.
yeah probably.

In Rainbows

I ain't trying to be disrespectful and I like Jadon (he is a fellow south Londoner and my cousin knows his sister) but I couldn't care less how good players are against other 17 year olds. they are playing a different game altogether. Anderson was the top player at the Under 17's world cup.

I have watched Jadon, many times as I said and he seemed abit less refined than Neymar who was humiliating grown men. I am yet to see evidence of Jadon's shooting abililty to be near Neymar's who had close to 100 goals at this age for both club and country. I want him at United but I feel we always get carried away over here and compare all our young players to the future greats
The point wasn't to show how effective he was against 17 year olds. It was just to show his technical ability in a short condensed video from back then. He's already one of the best dribblers at age 19, and has incredible end product for somebody his age. For example, if you were to say that Neymar is of a higher bracket than Sterling when he was at 19, I would be in total agreement. Though Sterling was also great at the same age, you can clearly see the difference in technical ability between Neymar and Sterling. Neymar and Sancho's technical ability is very similar.

And I do agree that Neymar is the better goal scorer, but I don't really like to judge players based on goal scoring unless they're strikers. At a young age, I'm looking more for overall quality to affect the game. Goal scoring can come after. Sometimes, it doesn't come like Hazard. Other times it does like Ronaldo and Messi.

Neymar had a huge amount of goals in Brazil, but it's not like his first year with Barca was something Sancho can't achieve. Then again, for Brazil's national team that was a different story. It's possible, Sancho becomes more like Hazard than Neymar, who is a goal scorer.

Stacks

The point wasn't to show how effective he was against 17 year olds. It was just to show his technical ability in a short condensed video from back then. He's already one of the best dribblers at age 19, and has incredible end product for somebody his age. For example, if you were to say that Neymar is of a higher bracket than Sterling when he was at 19, I would be in total agreement. Though Sterling was also great at the same age, you can clearly see the difference in technical ability between Neymar and Sterling. Neymar and Sancho's technical ability is very similar.

And I do agree that Neymar is the better goal scorer, but I don't really like to judge players based on goal scoring unless they're strikers. At a young age, I'm looking more for overall quality to affect the game. Goal scoring can come after. Sometimes, it doesn't come like Hazard. Other times it does like Ronaldo and Messi.

Neymar had a huge amount of goals in Brazil, but it's not like his first year with Barca was something Sancho can't achieve. Then again, for Brazil's national team that was a different story. It's possible, Sancho becomes more like Hazard than Neymar, who is a goal scorer.
I think Sterling technical ability was closer to Sancho. SAS worked so well because Sterling was always a fantastic dribbler, ball carrier and pass and move linking player. The only thing he lacked was shooting.

In Rainbows

I think Sterling technical ability was closer to Sancho. SAS worked so well because Sterling was always a fantastic dribbler, ball carrier and pass and move linking player. The only thing he lacked was shooting.
Yes he was a great dribbler, but his technical ability wasn't as good as Sancho's. I don't see Sterling being able to manipulate the ball like Sancho can. What Sterling does have is a low centre of gravity, and great instinct. I think that's more common than what Neymar and Sancho have. Not like it matters though as what matters is how effective you are, and Sterling was effective. He was a great dribbler at that age too.

Status
Not open for further replies.