Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyLaw

Don’t forget Pogba will be going most likely. We could buy Sancho and a midfielder and come out in the negative of 75 to 100 million.
That’s the game-changer of course. If Pogba goes and the funds we receive aren’t redirected into Sancho or one of his like to replace him then I hope people ready their pitch-forks and torches, they can’t be allowed to get away with another ’Ronaldo’.

But even that could be in the balance now though I suppose, if Zidane should be sacked before seasons end.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If the lad is smart, he'd see that we're miles off competing. Miles.

If he came in, the pressure on him would be outrageous, and he'd have to work miracles nearly on his own, in a really disjointed inexperienced lineup.

The smart move for him is back to City. He'd have a whale of a time there and come in as a squad player contributing plenty, rather than being one of THE key players with too much pressure.

Utd7

Dream summer is getting Sancho and Maddison. Unfortunately neither will happen unless we turn this season around QUICK.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If the lad is smart, he'd see that we're miles off competing. Miles.

If he came in, the pressure on him would be outrageous, and he'd have to work miracles nearly on his own, in a really disjointed inexperienced lineup.

The smart move for him is back to City. He'd have a whale of a time there and come in as a squad player contributing plenty, rather than being one of THE key players with too much pressure.
Let’s not go overboard. Yes, if he came here and was unfortunate to play in lineups with most of our good players injured; then yes - we would look to him to work miracles on his own. Alongside Martial, Pogba - we wouldn’t. We also absolutely need to sign a couple more players besides him even if he did come. But not all of our first XI are rubbish players, not by a long stretch. And him coming in would make one less rubbish player in it.

RooneyLegend

The kid can pay but spending 9 figures for him would be the sort of decision that has landed exactly where we are.

In Rainbows

The kid can pay but spending 9 figures for him would be the sort of decision that has landed exactly where we are.
Those have been our best buys actually

de Gea - most expensive teenage gk at the time
Martial - most expensive teenager at the time
Pogba - most expensive player at the time
Shaw - most expensive teenage lb at the time

We've been crap with older players and punts.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Are you sure? Best young players these days all cost 9 figures: Mbappe, Dembele, Joao Felix. Sometimes you have to buy quality players who are still young and have best years ahead, instead of going for older players like Sanchez who just went downhill and breaking salary structure with negative effect.

jackal&hyde

I guess Di Maria and Lukaku stick out in peoples minds as big money flops, but we got back most of the money for those. I agree we've been very crap with older players and especially with punts; James seems to be the one from a sea of punts that actually works out. We've been crap under SAF too when it comes to punts, just look at the shower of sh3te be bought in his last few years, Bebe, Powel, Henriques, Diuf, Obertan, Tosic, De Laet :lol: We're not very good at unearthing gems are we?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

I don't think Pogba, Martial and Shaw are exactly the epitome of successful buys. Our fanbase is split on them and outside of the club they're heavily criticised.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Wrong. He would be the standard of footballer we need. Give me one Sancho for 150 million instead of the likes of Fred, Matic and co for 200 million.

Had we spent the last 800 million on players like this we'd be up there with City and Liverpool.

amolbhatia50k

I don't think Pogba, Martial and Shaw are exactly the epitome of successful buys. Our fanbase is split on them and outside of the club they're heavily criticised.
They're mostly our best players. Same hopefully with AWB and Maguire.

Everybody is heavily criticised because we consistently hire the wrong managers. Under a failing Rijkaard even Barcelona of 2007 or 2008 looked shit.

RooneyLegend

Having those players with nothing else isnt helping us now is it. No one there outside of DDG has proven worth the money.

RooneyLegend

Wrong. He would be the standard of footballer we need. Give me one Sancho for 150 million instead of the likes of Fred, Matic and co for 200 million.

Had we spent the last 800 million on players like this we'd be up there with City and Liverpool.
Wrong, we'd have a half and half team. What's the point of signing a 150 million quid winger when we have 7 first 11 players not quite good enough for where we are trying to be? LB, CB, CM, CM, SS, LW and RW are all problems at the moment and signing one player for the right wing wont get us anywhere.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I am not surprised if BVB asks for Demeble or Coutinho kind of money for him. He is the real deal.

amolbhatia50k

Wrong, we'd have a half and half team. What's the point of signing a 150 million quid winger when we have 7 first 11 players not quite good enough for where we are trying to be? LB, CB, CM, CM, SS, LW and RW are all problems at the moment and signing one player for the right wing wont get us anywhere.
Wrong. Signing us mediocre players won't get us anywhere. We need an elite talent like him that comes along once in awhile. Smart purchases can happen alongside that every summer. But there's talents you break the bank for and he's that.

I'd go for him and two other in midfield. We aren't fixing everything in one summer anyway. People pretend as though that's going to happen every summer - as if we'll bag 7 Robertson like deals or something like that.

RooneyLegend

Wrong. Signing us mediocre players won't get us anywhere. We need an elite talent like him that comes along once in awhile. Smart purchases can happen alongside that every summer. But there's talents you break the bank for and he's that.

I'd go for him and two other in midfield. We aren't fixing everything in one summer anyway. People pretend as though that's going to happen every summer - as if we'll bag 7 Robertson like deals or something like that.
I take it we rate him very differently. imo he's no Neymar/Mbappe level talent. You seem to think he is. A player like that i wouldnt object all that much.

Nope, not a robertson type deals i.e genuine punts however we cpuld go about signing more affordable players with great potential. Our two rivals have done just that while some of you guys are advocating blowing what will probably be 75% of our budget next summer on one player.

Look at the players that are the 'stars' for City or Pool and none were bought for ridiculous prices. Sane, Silva, Sterling KDB or even Mahrez. all bought for big but reasonable fees. You're advocating us buying 1 player for more than the whole Pool front line cost.

There is nothing smart about that especially where we are as a club at this moment in time. If he was all we needed to get back to the top maybe, but not when we have holes everywhere in our side.

amolbhatia50k

I take it we rate him very differently. imo he's no Neymar/Mbappe level talent. You seem to think he is. A player like that i wouldnt object all that much.

Nope, not a robertson type deals i.e genuine punts however we cpuld go about signing more affordable players with great potential. Our two rivals have done just that while some of you guys are advocating blowing what will probably be 75% of our budget next summer on one player.

Look at the players that are the 'stars' for City or Pool and none were bought for ridiculous prices. Sane, Silva, Sterling KDB or even Mahrez. all bought for big but reasonable fees. You're advocating us buying 1 player for more than the whole Pool front line cost.

There is nothing smart about that especially where we are as a club at this moment in time. If he was all we needed to get back to the top maybe, but not when we have holes everywhere in our side.
I don't forsee us pulling off three signings as Liverpool did with their front three AND coaching them into becoming top players as Klopp did. I have to be realistic about the state of our management here. Klopp and Pep won't go for 150 million pound players because they don't need to given they coach the team superbly. Our situation is closer to that of Real Madrid's (but worse) where they bought their way to attempting to competing with Barcelona (to be fair so have Liverpool and City). Now I still believe we should try to make clever signings of course. We'll have to in this market to build a strong team without emptying our pockets.

However, you have to make exceptions sometimes when a signing comes along that's as perfect as this one. I don't care about this Neymar/Mbappe level. If we get a Griezemann/Ribery/Robben level talent for 150 million for a position that's been our biggest area of weakness for 6-7 years and being English is more likely to stay for a long time (if we're competitive), then I will take in a heartbeat. 150 million for a talent like that, if it works out well, in the long, really isn't all that much. I can see it being a better signing than Pogba was (record at the time).

And like I said, I don't see us challenging for at least 3 years. So I don't see what transformation everyone is expecting in one summer anyway. Sancho and two technical midfielders will go a long way to improving our team. That'll be 6 signings since this summer that could have really pushed us forward on our path. But anyway, to each their own.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
It would basically be analogous to when you signed Rooney. If you have the money and he wants to come, it's a no brainer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Wasn't Mahrez 70m?
And Sterling was 50m back long before it was a standard "decent" full back price.

mav_9me

Wasn't Mahrez 70m?
And Sterling was 50m back long before it was a standard "decent" full back price.
Spot on. Prices have gone up even since then.

@RooneyLegend do you think Sterling goes for 50m pounds now? Not this Sterling, but even a player similar to Sterling at Liverpool like say Zaha or Mane. As you can see 50m pounds will only get you an English RB or Portuguese RB.

RooneyLegend

It would basically be analogous to when you signed Rooney. If you have the money and he wants to come, it's a no brainer.
Nope, not the same. Rooney was one of the best players in the world when we signed him as proven by the Euro in 04, Sancho isn't and hasn't.

RooneyLegend

Spot on. Prices have gone up even since then.

@RooneyLegend do you think Sterling goes for 50m pounds now? Not this Sterling, but even a player similar to Sterling at Liverpool like say Zaha or Mane. As you can see 50m pounds will only get you an English RB or Portuguese RB.
Not this sterling but we have to back ourselves to develop players here or use them well enough for them to develop here. As you mention Zaha I'm pretty sure he wont be going for the numbers being tossed around.
They haven't gone up enough to be buying kids at 150 million.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Nope, not the same. Rooney was one of the best players in the world when we signed him as proven by the Euro in 04, Sancho isn't and hasn't.
He wasn’t. He was a kid who had just scored about 9 goals for Everton and had never set foot in the CL at that stage.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
One great tournament> 12 goals and 14 assists in one of the world's best leagues at 18? And looking like he might even improve on that this season?

Sancho is easily one of the world's biggest talents right now. Just behind Mbappe as far as I'm concerned.

mav_9me

I don't see the difference between a 16 y/o Rooney and this Sancho really. Sancho has actually proven more with his assists and goals in Bundesliga. Of course Rooney was an obvious talent too.

Fosu-Mens

One great tournament> 12 goals and 14 assists in one of the world's best leagues at 18? And looking like he might even improve on that this season?

Sancho is easily one of the world's biggest talents right now. Just behind Mbappe as far as I'm concerned.
Mbappe needs space and good technical players around him to perform at his best, but with his god given physical abilites he can be unstoppable in the right tactical set up and team. Sancho is miles ahead technically and and as a passer.

If you managed to put them on the same team, with Sancho's vision and playmaking ability together with Mbappes speed...

Stacks

I don't see the difference between a 16 y/o Rooney and this Sancho really. Sancho has actually proven more with his assists and goals in Bundesliga. Of course Rooney was an obvious talent too.
All of a sudden the Bundesliga is this elite league. It's hot trash. Their best teams are not even relevant on the European stage. Both easily dismissed by Pool and Spurs and coincidently Jadon could not get the "run of the green" vs Spurs like he does every week in Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.