Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-A-C-T-S

Sadly because of the way we have been mismanaged, this will probably not be a good idea. Makes no sense to spend 120m+ on one position when there are so many gaping holes in the squad. Which is why I've been pro selling Pogba since day one. Sell him to fund a midfield rebuild and restructure.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sadly because of the way we have been mismanaged, this will probably not be a good idea. Makes no sense to spend 120m+ on one position when there are so many gaping holes in the squad. Which is why I've been pro selling Pogba since day one. Sell him to fund a midfield rebuild and restructure.
So we have a gaping hole that a potential world class player could fill but we shouldn’t fill it because of the other gaping holes?
Great logic

F-A-C-T-S

So we have a gaping hole that a potential world class player could fill but we shouldn’t fill it because of the other gaping holes?
Great logic
I Think it's better to get a 40m right winger with potential then use the other 80 or so million on 2 other positions.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I Think it's better to get a 40m right winger with potential then use the other 80 or so million on 2 other positions.
Good God man! If Sancho wants to come here we should fecking bite his hand of. He’s very special

romufc

Good God man! If Sancho wants to come here we should fecking bite his hand of. He’s very special
If Sancho is willing to join us, I dont care about the other gaping holes because it has taken us years to fill the RW number 7 hole, he seems like a player who can own that shirt for 8-9 years.

£100 / £120m whatever it is we need to make sure we get this guy. have you seen his dribbling ability ? It's absolutely lethal.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
But a big reason for that is we are so threadbare. I mean we started this year off with 1 quality CM. Fred and McT have both played their way into fine form (or am I mistaken on this?). That is absurd for a team of United's caliber to be so lacking in players.
Absolutely agree mate. In my opinion this not Ole's fault but the failure of our board to deliver the players he needed. Ole said himself in September that we were 'a couple of players light' in terms of the squad. If he had his way he would have had another couple of players last summer but didn't get them.

Mark Pawelek

If given the choice, would you buy Van Dyke for £75m or Lindelof and Bailly for £60m?
Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that? Next summer, with the state of our squad as it is, would you buy Sancho for £100m, or Grealish, Paredes, Gaich and Kumbulla for £110m ?

Last edited:

Tony247

We should not sell Pogba unless his agent brings 100m offer. We have no compulsion to sell him this year. If we sell him then we will have to buy two midfielders, excluding Bruno. So if no big offer then we should trigger his extension and sell him next year, albeit with reduced price, but that's okay.

Last summer we spent most on defense. This summer with realistic budget of 100m-120m our priority should be Bruno (done) + another AM + winger + backup striker. I know we also need CDM but this season most important thing should be to sort out final third play and bring some balance in attack. Currently we are totally dysfunctional in that area. Defensive third next season.

I would be satisfied if we buy Grealish, Traore and a striker. We should be set to compete top 4 because the team will have some balance.

gza the genius

Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that? Next summer, with the state of our squad as it is, would you buy Sancho for £100m, or Grealish, Paredes, Gaich and Kumbulla for £110m ?
Would I rather buy one guaranteed star and most likely future world class player or one pretty good EPL proven player and 3 complete unknowns?

Sancho and the rest of our current squad fit has the potential to be extremely good. Isn’t Kumbulla only like 12m and Gaich similar? No reason we couldn’t get those two and Sancho in this scenario anyway. Sell a couple players and buy a dm and we’re still looking at a similar net spend.

Valencia's Left Foot

Supports
Austin FC, USMNT, Three Lions
I know the self-loathing types on this board don't want to hear it, but I think we get him. City are toast, Liverpool already have elite options at his postion, and Chelsea just made a deal for Ziech. Given that he wants to come back to the EPL, we are the only club left that can afford him....and, of course, we will over-pay for his services, bc that's what we do, and at the end of the day it's mostly about the money with these guys.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Absolutely agree mate. In my opinion this not Ole's fault but the failure of our board to deliver the players he needed. Ole said himself in September that we were 'a couple of players light' in terms of the squad. If he had his way he would have had another couple of players last summer but didn't get them.
Football is continuous. If we need 8 players in a squad, we’re not going to go and get them in one window.

Can7onA

I play an online game with Thomas Delaney and I straight up asked him if Sancho was coming to United, he laughed and said he didn't know.

In my eyes that means it's totally on.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I play an online game with Thomas Delaney and I straight up asked him if Sancho was coming to United, he laughed and said he didn't know.

In my eyes that means it's totally on.
It probably means he doesn’t know to be fair.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
With Sancho and Haaland, I've been watching more and more of Dortmund and it is just shocking how bad the defending has been in the games I've watched. I'm sure the sample size is too small for what I've seen, but it really seemed like the poorest of the top 5 leagues when it comes to defense. It doesn't take anything away from Sancho because he's always impressed me regardless of the setting, whether it's the league, CL, international football but my god, are stats going to be inflated for those two.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
With Sancho and Haaland, I've been watching more and more of Dortmund and it is just shocking how bad the defending has been in the games I've watched. I'm sure the sample size is too small for what I've seen, but it really seemed like the poorest of the top 5 leagues when it comes to defense. It doesn't take anything away from Sancho because he's always impressed me regardless of the setting, whether it's the league, CL, international football but my god, are stats going to be inflated for those two.
cant Wait for the PSG match as it’s 2 deadly attacks with fairly weak defences. Could be some crazy games.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It’s ridiculous. For his goal, Sancho received the ball with nobody anywhere near him.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It’s ridiculous. For his goal, Sancho received the ball with nobody anywhere near him.
That shocked me, then the flying tackle that he easily skipped past was the finishing touch on an awful defensive sequence by Frankfurt.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Sancho was top of Pep's shopping list by all accounts, but that's out of the question with City's transfer ban coming into effect this summer.

We have a relatively free run him in that scenario, right?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would agree with you for most other players but would make a exception for Sancho.

sepulturite

Sancho was top of Pep's shopping list by all accounts, but that's out of the question with City's transfer ban coming into effect this summer.

It's not a transfer ban that City have though, it's just a ban from the champions league.

Mark Pawelek

I would agree with you for most other players but would make a exception for Sancho.
I've come to the conclusion United fans don't care about the broken squad: unbalanced, too many players with bad injury records, too many weak players almost guaranteed to lose you a game if they play, ...

Hey but at least we'll get some entertainment now! But no league titles.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

They're getting transfer banned as well???

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I've come to the conclusion United fans don't care about the broken squad: unbalanced, too many players with bad injury records, too many weak players almost guaranteed to lose you a game if they play, ...

Hey but at least we'll get some entertainment now! But no league titles.
To be fair, we could sign Sancho, Salisu Grealish and Gaich for under 180m - if Villa get relegated and FFP really does a number on them. Solid chance we sell pogba for about 100-120m, keeping to the net spend at the 70-80m mark we usually seem to do these days. That's before the other sales we may get also, which could fund a proper DM.

RedDevilRoshi

Didn’t know they were going to get a transfer ban?

mav_9me

That shocked me, then the flying tackle that he easily skipped past was the finishing touch on an awful defensive sequence by Frankfurt.
So much of the defending was just amazingly awful. It wasn't as if Sancho was shooting there either. Just blindly flew past. Horrendous.

And for the 3rd goal the defender doesn't press Sancho, nor does he cover Hakimis run.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho. Because we needs a top quality RW so bad to upgrade our XI. More quality not more quantity. And look at the bigger issue as we need to upgrade RW position more than anything else.

beingshe7don

People on here need to stop treating Sancho like he's the next Ronaldinho. Sancho is no doubt talented but is not someone who can grab the game by the scruff and win it on his own. 120m for him is just ridiculous. He's at best a 70m player. We're gonna be losing Pogba and are looking for a marquee signing to be the new face of the club. We need about 5 players to get us challenging for top honors but let's spend 120m on one player instead. Ed will come out and repeat the same shit saying that United can go and buy anyone they wanted.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
People on here need to stop treating Sancho like he's the next Ronaldinho. Sancho is no doubt talented but is not someone who can grab the game by the scruff and win it on his own. 120m for him is just ridiculous. He's at best a 70m player. We're gonna be losing Pogba and are looking for a marquee signing to be the new face of the club. We need about 5 players to get us challenging for top honors but let's spend 120m on one player instead. Ed will come out and repeat the same shit saying that United can go and buy anyone they wanted.
In 2017 summer window, we spent 70m on both Matic & Lindelof. Don't you think it would had been better if we ignore the idea to add another midfielder and we spend that same amount of money on Van Dijk instead? Because I would think so. Quality over quantity.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Ronaldinho, in his pomp, would be a £200m+ player in today's market, you must surely realise that?

Mark Pawelek

Sancho. Because we needs a top quality RW so bad to upgrade our XI. More quality not more quantity. And look at the bigger issue as we need to upgrade RW position more than anything else.
Gealish will be an upgrade at RW.

You'd convince me were you able to show me the plan for a 25-man squad to win the PL. But all we see are stars, stars, stars. 3 or 4 injured stars and it all goes to pot.

PS: I actually want Sancho. I have to argue ":devil:s advocate" because no one else will.

beingshe7don

In 2017 summer window, we spent 70m on both Matic & Lindelof. Don't you think it would had been better if we ignore the idea to add another midfielder and we spend that same amount of money on Van Dijk instead? Because I would think so. Quality over quantity.
Jury still out on Lindelof and Van Dijk moved to a Liverpool side that was almost a finished article. All they were missing were a CB and a goalkeeper which Van Dijk and Allison made them championship contenders. Van Dijk in a team with a shit midfield and shit defense wouldn't have done much.

Also, Fabinho was available that summer when Matic was bought. It would have been a different conversation if we hadn't bought Matic. Spending big is not always the smart thing to do. Hopefully, we could learn a couple things from Leicester. They don't have a superstar in their team and are yet delivering entertaining and high quality football.

All I am saying is that if we still deliver shit results after Sancho coming here, it will NOT be his fault and shouldn't as well. I do not want another case of Pogba 2.0 happening again.

beingshe7don

Ronaldinho, in his pomp, would be a £200m+ player in today's market, you must surely realise that?
You're missing the point. I wasn't comparing the price but the level of treatment Sancho is getting on here. He's a good player NOT a great one yet and we don't have that kind of money to spend on a signing when we've got 4 other positions that need addressing as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.