Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Oddschecker says yes. United 6/4, Pool 5/2, Chelsea 5, Barcelona 10, Real Madrid 18 and Bayern 20. Which means it is still unlikely we will get him, even we are favourites currently. 6/4 means 40% probability. But bookers always offer terrible odds for transfer bets so i would not give us more than 20-30% chance. ;)
For me it comes down to this:

If he doesn't want to come back to England - 0% chance

If he does want to come back - I'd say 70 to 80% chance. I base that percentage on the fact that our domestic rivals have plenty of options in forward positions and this is an almighty financial outlay. They might simply not be able to afford it, especially given that City have just had their pants pulled down on FFP..Liverpool might be in the market if they sold Salah, but why would they sell a sure thing in order to take a gamble and have to integrate a new player into their system.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It's not really a complicated concept to grasp, that if he's not tempted by the club's ambition and "project" then we're better off not having him. Rather that, than him being here solely because we paid him more than anyone else. Attracting disinterested players purely by money has not worked for us.
The reasons that Man Utd can attract talent are wages and opening in the team. Players definitely don't care about the history of the club and also the beautiful weather of Manchester.

Edit
However i think Sancho may stay one more season in BVB because of Haaland. The chemistry is there and he may want to see if BVB can challenge CL and league title next season.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

I think with the City ban a window of oportunity has open for us, there are not many top sides that need a right winger and specially that can pay the 100M+ fee that Borussia will ask for him.

If the rumors are true and Sancho has decided to leave in the summer then I think his options would be reduced the following:

Highly unlikely:

Manchester City - they have Mahrez and Bernardo Silva for that spot, and without UCL for the next two years I doubt they will be willing to spend that kind of money just for depth.

Liverpool - Theres no way Sancho would agree to be anything else than a starting player, so unless Salah leaves I don't think Sancho will go to Liverpool.

Chelsea - They just spent a combined of 120 M on Pulisic and Ziyech, without mentioning that they have CHO for that position. Highly unlikely they will spend 100M+ on the same position.

PSG - Same scenario as Liverpool, there's unless one of Mbappe or Neymar leaves I dont see it happening.

Contenders:

Barcelona - They're always an attractive club for the best players and who could refuse to play with Messi, they have also showned they're not afraid to spend big.

Madrid - They just spent massively last summer and got all these brazilian youngsters but Bale seems to be out of the door anyday so they'll have a spot free for RW and same case as Barcelona very few players can say no to Madrid.

Juve - They have showned they can attract the top talents and their RW is there to be taken, surely an option.

Bayern - They always seem to get Borussia's best players, but with Sancho not being german I think they dont have that strong pull like they had with the other players, but they for sure have a chance.

Manchester United - We have an awful recent history that will seriously make every player doubt about comming here, but were also an historic club with lot of attractiveness, we have the money and could warrant him a starting spot, I guess it will depend on how we pitch him the sports project. If we can convince him that this will turn around in the short term we'll get him. Highly doubt we can do that with Ole, but if we apoint some promising manager we may have a shot.

Alfie092

The only potential downside is if we don't make the CL and he isn't prepared to go a season without it.
Considering he is only 19, do you think a year out of the Champions League will totally swing his decision? Surely if he believes in our project and believes he can be a key part in getting us not only back into the CL but competing for both the PL & CL he would still come?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
If I was a Liverpool fan I'd swap Salah for Sancho happily, just hope their club doesn't feel the same.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Salah, Mane and Firmino are all at their peak right now. I doubt Klopp would change his front three proactively. Liverpool's priority is to replace Wijnaldum and Lallana this summer.

TsuWave

Dembele is an example of player with lack of dedication.
These guys have been playing football since kids, made it to professional level, and Dembele earned himself a +£100M move to a historical club at age 20. Maybe things haven’t thus far worked out as predicted/expected, but describing him as “an example of a player with lack of dedication” just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when we’re so far distanced from the ongoings at his club.

MadMike

The reasons that Man Utd can attract talent are wages and opening in the team. Players definitely don't care about the history of the club and also the beautiful weather of Manchester.

Edit
However i think Sancho may stay one more season in BVB because of Haaland. The chemistry is there and he may want to see if BVB can challenge CL and league title next season.
I never spoke about history or weather. Players can however take into account what kind of team the club is trying to build and what its ambitions are for the near future.

pacifictheme

These guys have been playing football since kids, made it to professional level, and Dembele earned himself a +£100M move to a historical club at age 20. Maybe things haven’t thus far worked out as predicted/expected, but describing him as “an example of a player with lack of dedication” just rubs me the wrong way. Especially when we’re so far distanced from the ongoings at his club.
Whilst i agree that to become a professional football, especially to the level dembele has reached, you need dedication. But with the money in the game these days it feels like the bar has been lowered in terms of 'making it' ,or maybe the bar has been moved to a whole other measure of success (money).

And its no surprise that some players lose focus when they suddenly have tens of millions in their accounts. Do they all care about winning when they're already set for life? Are they prepared to go the extra mile?

TheReligion

Abusive

Edit
How do you know players don't care about the history of the club? Seems a silly statement to make. How you can blanket say such a thing is beyond me.

Giggsyking

A quick google search shows that Sancho is apparently on a £190,000 a week contract at Dortmund. I find that a little difficult to believe but perhaps our Dortmund posters can shed some light on that. If true then it would present a problem fitting him into our current structure.
he is on ~90K per week.

TheReligion

Abusive
Let me try to grasp this: You honestly expect an already worldclass youngster, who just might be best winger there currently is not only to snub Elite Clubs from all over Europe to join your "Project" spearheaded by OGS, but also to do that on modest wages?
Really? :lol:
If you try pulling your head out of your own arsehole people might be able to hear you that better.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
The guys saying we should not give him 250k/week are the same guys who will be moaning that we did not throw money at him after he joins Liverpool/Chelsea/shitty.

Jericholyte2

Can we pull out a Sancho/Grealish/Partey summer?
Circa €240m/£200m for the three, especially if we sell Pogba should be do-able, combined with Woodward doubling-down about significant investment (I know...).

Would it be too much to ask for Upamecano too if we sold Smalling and Jones?

Kostov

Circa €240m/£200m for the three, especially if we sell Pogba should be do-able, combined with Woodward doubling-down about significant investment (I know...).

Upamecano or Tah would be attainable if we manage to sell some CB.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The guys saying we should not give him 250k/week are the same guys who will be moaning that we did not throw money at him after he joins Liverpool/Chelsea/shitty.
It's not just about the raw numbers though. We are trying to create a happy locker room. Right now we have two outliers on the wage bill. De Gea deserves it because of tenure and status. Pogba is a world cup winner and world class level player and could soon be gone anyway.

I think theres more to consider than just paying whatever it takes to get him. If Sancho isnt happy with a 50% raise on his current salary then perhaps we should look elsewhere. As @MadMike Said correctly above, we want players that want to come here, and not just because we will pay him astronomical numbers. If hes successful he will be on 250k a week soon enough, as will Rashford

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
To suggest no players care about the history of a club is new level of idiocy.
Honestly I don't think they do, they care about the present and their future with the club.

laughtersassassin

When Pogba goes I can't stress enough how important it is we go mad this summer. Sancho Grealish and someone like Partey needs to be the minimum we get.v

Renegade

To suggest no players care about the history of a club is new level of idiocy.
Id say the majority aren’t bothered or prioritise it whilst in their prime. I reckon it becomes a bigger draw as the reach the end of their careers/past their prime.
I’d say most young players aren’t bothered too. All about the present and future. Im
Sure they’ll be the few exceptions.

Judas

Open to offers
Honestly I don't think they do, they care about the present and their future with the club.
It all plays a part. If Utd were in the 3rd division, of course history would be meaningless, no ones coming because we really used to be good decades ago. But our past does have an impact on attracting talent still, as long as we're also looking to be going places in the present too, thats key. Of course plenty aren't fussed, but I still think it can be helpful. To rule it out to having no influence seems strange.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It all plays a part. If Utd were in the 3rd division, of course history would be meaningless, no ones coming because we really used to be good decades ago. But our past does have an impact on attracting talent still, as long as we're also looking to be going places in the present too, thats key. Of course plenty aren't fussed, but I still think it can be helpful. To rule it out to having no influence seems strange.
The only way it would have an influence would be if the alternative offers the same amount of money and the same chances of success, outside of that rare are the professional players that will consider the club history. And United have missed on enough players to show that it's the case.

Edit: I also think that the location has a lot more influence because players have families to consider too, So to me history is a marginal consideration when it's considered.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
The fact he left City for Germany means he clearly cares about his own personal development as a player. Obviously the finances are important, but if we can convince him of the clubs project, his role in it, and offer him a clear pathway to being one of the highest paid players in Europe, then theres no reason we shoildnt be hopeful.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have not much clue about what's going on. But, playing football as a kid is different to playing as a professional, that is something that I got a clue of.

Dembele is known as his unprofessional attitude & discipline problem ever since he joined Barcelona. That indicates he lacks a dedication in football.

Jinn

Oh god, please don't give him #7. it's so cursed that it's like instantly confining him to the depths of hell.
Grealish get the #7, Sancho gets the #11
I'm just trying to be a positive muppet to be honest, because I am desperate for Sancho.
Also trying to stay positive, hope we get him but we need viable alternatives. Hopefully Ole is on it.

Classical Mechanic

The fact he left City for Germany means he clearly cares about his own personal development as a player. Obviously the finances are important, but if we can convince him of the clubs project, his role in it, and offer him a clear pathway to being one of the highest paid players in Europe, then theres no reason we shoildnt be hopeful.
Which is why at his age he'll likely join a club where's he's going to be the clear number one in his position. I think United's strength of hand will come from how hard we've tried to get him these past couple of seasons. I think its underestimated how much that can influence a player, David Silva said that he joined City because he felt they were the club that wanted him the most, for example.

RedDevilRoshi

I'm just trying to be a positive muppet to be honest, because I am desperate for Sancho.
I also really want him and I’m sure all of us do. He’s so ideal for us in a position that’s been needing strengthening for a very long time now.

But at the same time, I hope the club do have alternatives in mind just in case he elsewhere.

Which is why at his age he'll likely join a club where's he's going to be the clear number one in his position. I think United's strength of hand will come from how hard we've tried to get him these past couple of seasons. I think its underestimated how much that can influence a player, David Silva said that he joined City because he felt they were the club that wanted him the most, for example.
That’s a very good point and of course plays a huge factor.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yeah, going by reports we tried to sign him since he was at City and then tried to sign him almost every summer. That should play some role, hopefully it will.

croadyman

The first two of them could happen but Utd seem to have no interest in Partey at all,there has been stories he is looking to stay at Atletico long term so could well be truth in that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The first two of them could happen but Utd seem to have no interest in Partey at all,there has been stories he is looking to stay at Atletico long term so could well be truth in that.
Especially with AFCON now going back to the winter mid season, I think unfortunately Africans will be less desirable if there's another option.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
More and more I'm warming to the idea of selling Salah and getting Sancho instead.

RooneyLegend

More and more I'm warming to the idea of selling Salah and getting Sancho instead.
Really? wow. firstly I think if there's a player he could replace at Pool it'd be Firminho. secondly you'd think Salah is on a fast lane to legend status at Pool if he isn't there already and yet you'd be willing to let him go for some kid?

sp_107

Sancho/Grealish/Partey/Upamecano? That would make lot of sense and the best window we could expect.

It would entirely change our dynamics and it can make us title winning team again.

Status
Not open for further replies.