Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

I've been having wet dreams seeing Pogba, Sancho, Rashford, Martial and Bruno at the theatre of dreams..

It's about time we had a squad like 09 again.

croadyman

I'd argue Pogba staying puts defensive midfield at the top of the priority list. He'd likely be first choice in midfield alongside Bruno. We'd need a defensive midfielder to play with them. It would be a great chance to have a stable, complete and balanced midfield that could actually be good enough to challenge.
Personally I still see RW as top of the priority list as it's been neglected for years,however would definitely make a DM second if Pogba did stay.

I see Critchley is reporting tomorrow that senior figures at Dortmund see Utd as his likely destination. Don't know how reliable he is in the north west journo circles.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Do people still believe we have unlimited budget to buy in summer? I’d be very shocked if we spend over 100m this summer in net spending. People can dream on but it just never happened over recent years.
If we manage to get Sancho, there’s no way we will sign Grealish too unless we sell Pogba, as we’ve already spend big on Bruno.

croadyman

Do people still believe we have unlimited budget to buy in summer? I’d be very shocked if we spend over 100m this summer in net spending. People can dream on but it just never happened over recent years.
If we manage to get Sancho, there’s no way we will sign Grealish too unless we sell Pogba, as we’ve already spend big on Bruno.
Totally agree with you

Bondi77

Has anyone seen any interviews with Sancho since he went to Germany?
I wonder if he enjoys living in the country and it is obvious he enjoys playing in the league as his stats testify.
The reason why I ask the question is the Bayern Munich factor;
They were after Hudson Odoi and Sane and they do like to play with wingers as Robben and Ribery have been superb for them in the recent past so if they become interested they are financial heavyweights and are consistently one of the elite clubs in world football.

RkkMan

Has anyone seen any interviews with Sancho since he went to Germany?
I wonder if he enjoys living in the country and it is obvious he enjoys playing in the league as his stats testify.
The reason why I ask the question is the Bayern Munich factor;
They were after Hudson Odoi and Sane and they do like to play with wingers as Robben and Ribery have been superb for them in the recent past so if they become interested they are financial heavyweights and are consistently one of the elite clubs in world football.
They are after Leroy Sane

Lynty

I like pipedream products, the best :smirk:
I didn’t understand your comment though...
A pipedream is a figure of speech for a near impossibility

A crack pipe has clear connotations of what you've been smoking

Putting in simply, whoever thinks there's a possibility of signing Harry Kane needs to stop smoking crack.

laughtersassassin

Our team is not so great that we need to sell our best player to buy a new one. It's thinking and operating like that that leads to not improving.

If we had bought players of such quality to play with Pogba from when he joined then we wouldn't be so poor.

For me Sancho should be bought regardless of Pogba situation. Then Grealish should be bought if Pogba leaves. I'd like him either way too but that's not being very realistic I'll admit.

Sancho and DM should be regardless of sales.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Grealish will go dirt cheap if Villa get relegated. I don't think we'd have to sell our most expensive player to push the boat out for him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pogba is the realistic player that has to leave for other big incomings. Also in terms of numbers. We arent signing Grealish if Pogba stays, makes no sense to. Sancho and Ighalo being added permanently, and in terms of numbers we are fine. Its sell to open up space to buy from there. And yeah we can sell a few for small amounts of course, that's standard though and will help with Sancho/Ighalo (though I think we can get them regardless).

Dont think De Gea goes anywhere. Henderson might go out on loan again next year but I dont see him starting for us/replacing de Gea until 21/22.
What other big incomings? We can get Sancho and Ighalo without selling him I suspect. We’ll probably sign another one player after that, and he won’t cost £150m. And other players will leave. We won’t add Grealish to Pogba and Bruno not because we cannot afford to, it because it makes little sense to.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ighalo will be covered by sales, Grealish will be £60m approx i'd suspect especially if Villa go down, and Sancho will be approx 120m considering he has 2 years left on his contract.

We will be able to cover that, especially immortilised over a few years.

Macedonian Red

Sancho (or another RW) is must. We dont even have RW in our squad.

Other positions depends on players that will leave. We have more than enough bodies in midfield, and we must change some of them with more quality ones. To buy someone in midfield, Pereira, Lingard and maybe Mata must leave.

Other area, CB. Jones, Smaling, Rojo has to leave before new one arived.

We have bodies at striker position too (with Ighalo) but I am not sure if we have quality.

Rw: Sancho in (120m)
Midfield: Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez out (60m) - Grealish, Dmf in (120m)
CB: Jones, Smaling, Rojo out (50m)- new CB in. (60m)
ST: Ighalo (15m) or someone else in. (60+)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
From a buyer's perspective, with there being no Euros this summer, the market opening is great as the potential for Sancho's value to go through the roof has been expelled.

This is the worst time for Dortmund to sell, but the best time for buyers to put in bids that offer a great deal of short and mid-term security. Once again, the point made about the giant clubs having the chance to exploit this situation and become pariahs of sorts, rears its head.

If Sancho picks a club and is adamant about going to them and only them, the price for him, for that club, could well be a steal in relative terms.

Sanche7

Sancho (or another RW) is must. We dont even have RW in our squad.

Other positions depends on players that will leave. We have more than enough bodies in midfield, and we must change some of them with more quality ones. To buy someone in midfield, Pereira, Lingard and maybe Mata must leave.

Other area, CB. Jones, Smaling, Rojo has to leave before new one arived.

We have bodies at striker position too (with Ighalo) but I am not sure if we have quality.

Rw: Sancho in (120m)
Midfield: Pereira, Lingard, Mata, Sanchez out (60m) - Grealish, Dmf in (120m)
CB: Jones, Smaling, Rojo out (50m)- new CB in. (60m)
ST: Ighalo (15m) or someone else in. (60+)
Selling 7 players and buying 4 players in one transfer window happens only in football manager. Also we can't solve all our problems in one window.

RW, Striker, DM are the three main areas we need to focus on IMO. Once we have that settled, we can focus on areas that needs upgrading like Lindelof replacement, a better LB and maybe another CM who can play as both a 8 & 10 (like Grealish). But I see us upgrading on positions like CB and the midfield only next year unless Pogba leaves. I can see us going for Haaland in 2021 when his clause kicks in, provided Martial doesn't develop as we expect him to.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Unless Dortmund agree for a staggered plan, I can't see how we get the money. I estimate as much as a 100m euro hit this season.

Adam-Utd

Unless Dortmund agree for a staggered plan, I can't see how we get the money. I estimate as much as a 100m euro hit this season.
Pretty much every transfer is staggered, rarely is it ever up front.

Most clubs don't want it like this either for tax reasons.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bizarre how everyone starts talking about ‘staggered payments’ and whether we have ‘immediate funds’ for transfers, as if they have the foggiest of what actually goes on.

The Athletic-tier surface level analysis has made everyone accountants and financial gurus.

lewwoo

I would be happy with just Sancho this summer and nobody else as long as Ighalo extends, Pogba stays and we lose nobody else.

Nikelesh Reddy

Sancho would just be perfect for us.We”ve been crying out for a world class talent on the Right for ages...Sancho,Martial and Rashford would be a devastating front 3,not to forget James and Greenwood on the bench.I seriously hope we can sign him this summer...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Pretty much every transfer is staggered, rarely is it ever up front.

Most clubs don't want it like this either for tax reasons.
Most are but on accassions, especially big fees, clubs demand large fees up front. For accounting purposes, all fees are amortized. Doesn't mean the club did not pay a huge chunk up front. Remember Sancho wouldn't be the only transfer we make.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Selling 7 players and buying 4 players in one transfer window happens only in football manager. Also we can't solve all our problems in one window.

RW, Striker, DM are the three main areas we need to focus on IMO. Once we have that settled, we can focus on areas that needs upgrading like Lindelof replacement, a better LB and maybe another CM who can play as both a 8 & 10 (like Grealish). But I see us upgrading on positions like CB and the midfield only next year unless Pogba leaves. I can see us going for Haaland in 2021 when his clause kicks in, provided Martial doesn't develop as we expect him to.
I can’t see that. I think Greenwood is genuinely that good. I don’t think it made sense to go for him in January for that reason, and I don’t think it would make sense come 2021 either. Everyone thinks in terms of the immediate, but I think in a longer term vision - betting on two top strikers at the exact same age in a system where only one of them will play makes little sense to me. Haaland looks special, as does Mason. And we already have Greenwood.

Adam-Utd

Most are but on accassions, especially big fees, clubs demand large fees up front. For accounting purposes, all fees are amortized. Doesn't mean the club did not pay a huge chunk up front. Remember Sancho wouldn't be the only transfer we make.
It just simply won't happen. No club can afford to pay 120m up front in cash especially with the current issues in the world.

Sancho has 2 years left, they'll want to cash in otherwise risk losing a huge amount of money that they'll need to reinvest. They'll be happy with a huge amount of profit split across a few years.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This Net spending figure is just something you see on Transfermarkt. Football finances don't actually work as simple as "Net spend" has made you to believe. I've made numberous posts about this topic recently. Here's one that goes into a bit of detail.

Here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-detailed-look-at-uniteds-finances.453021/post-25329141

tl;dr: Value of the players contract + all assosicated costs with agent/transfers/image rights are amortized over the length of the players contract. The annual cost is what is added to the clubs books as "Spend" that fiscal year for the player.

The only interesting question is how much money do the selling club want up front. That' the big question. Manchester United can take on a big player expense spread over 8 quarters if they need to. If it smart in these uncertain times is another debate worth its own thread.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This Net spending figure is just something you see on Transfermarkt. Football finances don't actually work as simple as "Net spend" has made you to believe. I've made numberous posts about this topic recently. Here's one that goes into a bit of detail.

Here: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/a-detailed-look-at-uniteds-finances.453021/post-25329141

tl;dr: Value of the players contract + all assosicated costs with agent/transfers/image rights are amortized over the length of the players contract. The annual cost is what is added to the clubs books as "Spend" that fiscal year for the player.

The only interesting question is how much money do the selling club want up front. That' the big question. Manchester United can take on a big player expense spread over 8 quarters if they need to. If it smart in these uncertain times is another debate worth its own thread.
I have read tons of that over past couple of seasons. I’ve seen many here truly believe we will spend 200m+ each summer without needing to sell big, because we can easily afford to do so. Turns out we didn’t really spend as much though from players transfer in/out. Interesting fact isn’t it?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I have read tons of that over past couple of seasons. I’ve seen many here truly believe we will spend 200m+ each summer without needing to sell big, because we can easily afford to do so. Turns out we didn’t really spend as much though from players transfer in/out. Interesting fact isn’t it?
I'll rephrase: If we buy Neymar for 200million. And don't sell anyone. Our net spend for that season is not 200 million. The club has a operating budget that runs with a healthy profit margin. But if you look at the clubs EBIDTA, which I'm sure you have since you've read tons, you know what I'm suggesting here.

JmRssll555

To all those who are asking whether we can spend big on Sancho, Grealish and Ighalo without needing to sell Pogba.

As per our latest quaterly accounts we have cash equivalent of £100m.

Since almost all the transfer fee is amortized over the life of a contract. Thus we might only have to shell £20m(total £100m fee over 5 yrs) for Sancho and £7.5M (total £15m for 2 years) for Ighalo.
I think you are confusing amortisation with instalment payments. It is true that transfer fees are always amortised across the length of the contract, but not all transfers are paid in instalments - often clubs will pay the full amount up front and then still amortise the spend in their accounts.

Take the Maguire transfer as an example. Apparently, Leicester wanted the full amount up front, so let's assume that United paid them £80m in cash on the day the deal was completed. That £80m transfer fee will be amortised across the length of the contract, so around £13.5m per year on a six-year deal. This is really useful from an FFP perspective because it means the £80m deal is only recorded as a £13.5m spend for each of the next six years. However, we still actually spent the £80m cash up front.

The United

This is how I think as well. Especially with the current situation.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
As if Liverpool are gonna sell Mane or Salah :lol:
Bit worrying this because he is close to Dortmund and there were rumours last week of them selling Mane or Salah to raise funds.
He's absolutely clueless.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'll rephrase: If we buy Neymar for 200million. And don't sell anyone. Our net spend for that season is not 200 million. The club has a operating budget that runs with a healthy profit margin. But if you look at the clubs EBIDTA, which I'm sure you have since you've read tons, you know what I'm suggesting here.
And I will repeat again, I've heard similar things being said alot of times over past few years. Turns out we never really manage to spend as big as people would have expected in terms of squad investment. It doesn't really matter how healthy we are financially, its all up to the board when it comes to actual budget on spending.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
And I will repeat again, I've heard similar things being said alot of times over past few years. Turns out we never really manage to spend as big as people would have expected in terms of squad investment. It doesn't really matter how healthy we are financially, its all up to the board when it comes to actual budget on spending.
What are you talking about. This club spends more money than nearly any club. Have you seen our transfer spend the last 10 years? I do not understand who you are comparing us to? PSG?

SAFMUTD

Bit worrying this because he is close to Dortmund and there were rumours last week of them selling Mane or Salah to raise funds.
Why would they sell one of their top players who are on their peak years and totally adapted to the club and system to try to sign a top prospect? Makes no sense, I call bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.