Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RkkMan

Bit worrying this because he is close to Dortmund and there were rumours last week of them selling Mane or Salah to raise funds.
There haven`t been any reliable rumors LFC will sell Mane/Salah it`s actually been the opposite and it makes no sense anyway. Both are 27 turning 28 they still have 3/4 very good years left and are one of the best in the world in their positions plus proven winners. No reason or urgency to sell any of them.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Pedro and Willian are supposedly leaving Chelsea this summer, must be between us and them then, surely.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Out of the two of them you’d surely bin off Salah? Get a great fee out of him too I imagine.

passing-wind

It's a nonsense article not necessarily the source but because of what's being said. Mane and Salah are both superior players to Sancho, it doesn't make sense for them to weaken by offloading a proven asset and taking a gamble on a younger prospect. It would be like Barcelona selling prime Messi to bring in a Mbappe, senseless footballing decision.

It's only a credible basis of logic if there's absolute genuine desire for Salah / Mane to leave.

AltiUn

Barca? The Neymar replacement that Dembele should have been.
Maybe, but they still have a lof of options in attack there, supposedly Sancho prefers the place he's gonna get most game time which I still think is undoubtably us.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
What are you talking about. This club spends more money than nearly any club. Have you seen our transfer spend the last 10 years? I do not understand who you are comparing us to? PSG?
Last couple years, when we are performing badly and out of CL, not 10 years.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Respectfully, I think you are being a bit unfair here. Are you upset the club did not buy more players, or more expensive ones?
What makes you think so? I am merely pointing out fact that we didn't spend as much in recent years (coincide with lack of CL football, poor league position etc), we shouldn't expect suddenly we would spend big again. Just being realistic.

Macedonian Red

Selling 7 players and buying 4 players in one transfer window happens only in football manager. Also we can't solve all our problems in one window.

RW, Striker, DM are the three main areas we need to focus on IMO. Once we have that settled, we can focus on areas that needs upgrading like Lindelof replacement, a better LB and maybe another CM who can play as both a 8 & 10 (like Grealish). But I see us upgrading on positions like CB and the midfield only next year unless Pogba leaves. I can see us going for Haaland in 2021 when his clause kicks in, provided Martial doesn't develop as we expect him to.
For example, Inter sign 6-7 players last summer. I get your point, even I dont expect to happen this but its not imposible.

If Ighalo and Pogba stays, Rw, Dmf and Cb should be priorities.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
For example, Inter sign 6-7 players last summer. I get your point, even I dont expect to happen this but its not imposible.

If Ighalo and Pogba stays, Rw, Dmf and Cb should be priorities.
And did the same in January. They are the biggest transfer muppets in football.

Jezpeza

Selling 7 players and buying 4 players in one transfer window happens only in football manager. Also we can't solve all our problems in one window.

RW, Striker, DM are the three main areas we need to focus on IMO. Once we have that settled, we can focus on areas that needs upgrading like Lindelof replacement, a better LB and maybe another CM who can play as both a 8 & 10 (like Grealish). But I see us upgrading on positions like CB and the midfield only next year unless Pogba leaves. I can see us going for Haaland in 2021 when his clause kicks in, provided Martial doesn't develop as we expect him to.
I agree and disagree. I think you can buy lots of players if they arent aimed at being in the first 11. But you cant buy for instance 6 new players and try and start the season with all of them in the starting lineup. I think a big RW signing and and a central midfielder if pogba leaves. If not the RW signing is the centrepiece.

would like to see us sign some sensible players - form wise was looking like bournemouth villa and norwich were going down. The likes of Callum Wilson, Grealish and Cantwell could prove good additions for fairly reasonable money.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree and disagree. I think you can buy lots of players if they arent aimed at being in the first 11. But you cant buy for instance 6 new players and try and start the season with all of them in the starting lineup. I think a big RW signing and and a central midfielder if pogba leaves. If not the RW signing is the centrepiece.

would like to see us sign some sensible players - form wise was looking like bournemouth villa and norwich were going down. The likes of Callum Wilson, Grealish and Cantwell could prove good additions for fairly reasonable money.
‘Squad player’ is a tricky status in top level football. For me, unless you are looking for emergency cover or something - I don’t think a top club should ever be signing a player who is not good enough to regularly play for them. You ideally look for players who can push. Competition increases the overall level, and you don’t want scenarios where our much fabled number 10s start every week due to injury.

I appreciate that this is idealism, but ideally, ‘squad players’ should either be of the profile of Matic or Greenwood. The likes of Lingard and Pereira who are 25-27 and clearly not good enough are the problems. Matic has the quality, Greenwood has the quality, but both are back ups for obvious reasons. That said, they have realistic ambitions to start games for us, even with a full squad, based on performance level.

Bondi77

‘Squad player’ is a tricky status in top level football. For me, unless you are looking for emergency cover or something - I don’t think a top club should ever be signing a player who is not good enough to regularly play for them. You ideally look for players who can push. Competition increases the overall level, and you don’t want scenarios where our much fabled number 10s start every week due to injury.

I appreciate that this is idealism, but ideally, ‘squad players’ should either be of the profile of Matic or Greenwood. The likes of Lingard and Pereira who are 25-27 and clearly not good enough are the problems. Matic has the quality, Greenwood has the quality, but both are back ups for obvious reasons. That said, they have realistic ambitions to start games for us, even with a full squad, based on performance level.
I don't think that Matic views himself as back up and that was why he was not happy when he was not playing
He will be our main DM for the next season at least

AltiUn

Good post.

Jezpeza

squad player for me just denotes a player who is good enough to play for the team but is a back up to a slightly better player. I think Quality is the key - either a hungry young player who is able but can develop or an older player who has quality but is no longer a starter - a Mata or perhaps Matic type.

The likes of Jones, pereira and lingard are just poor players, period. Not good enough, never will be. Just seem to aimlessly be shoehorned into positions and run around a lot doing nothing. Problem is until recently our squad was teeming with them but now these sorts of players are on the periphery and being got rid of

reddevilchennai

Signing or not signing Sancho is what that is going to define our transfer strategy, pulling power as a club, etc.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Barca? The Neymar replacement that Dembele should have been.
From most reports it says he wants to come back to England and play in the premier league. His family lives here, his friends etc.

I'm sure all footballers would be happy to play for the big 2 in Spain, but most would chose their home league first. Messi will be gone soon and they'll be back to your average European side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I don't think that Matic views himself as back up and that was why he was not happy when he was not playing
He will be our main DM for the next season at least
Which is exactly my point and exactly what we want. If all of our players were fit, Andreas Pereira would never in his right mind hope to start a meaningful game. This is not the level we want at the club.

GBBQ

Why would they sell one of their top players who are on their peak years and totally adapted to the club and system to try to sign a top prospect? Makes no sense, I call bullshit.
Mane and Salah both turn 28 this year while Firminho turns 29. Far from over the hill of course but at the same time you really want to have their replacements bedded in over the next two seasons as the fall off can be significant in the 30s, especially for a high energy team. if you felt Sancho was available at the most reasonable price you might get him for for the next decade, that he fits your game plan and style and would be part of your attack for the next 10 years but you have to sell to buy then you might think about cashing in on one of your current players (especially as their price will only go down from here).

Not saying its likely but you can see some logic in thinking long term.

Jezpeza

Signing or not signing Sancho is what that is going to define our transfer strategy, pulling power as a club, etc.
I think we have a good chance. Players like Jovic and Dembele have floundered at Barca/Real. Both teams are struggling at the moment to be at the level they were perhaps a decade ago. In terms of personnel, We are a younger team now, with some of his international mates, and he has the chance to come and be a main man in the premier league whilst not having the expectation to blitz every single game yet.

financially we can afford him no probs. Its just if he wants to come or not and i think theres a good chance

RedDevilRoshi

I think we have a good chance. Players like Jovic and Dembele have floundered at Barca/Real. Both teams are struggling at the moment to be at the level they were perhaps a decade ago. In terms of personnel, We are a younger team now, with some of his international mates, and he has the chance to come and be a main man in the premier league whilst not having the expectation to blitz every single game yet.

financially we can afford him no probs. Its just if he wants to come or not and i think theres a good chance
I disagree with that part. The money involved in this potential deal (upwards of £100M which is a fee no club in England have splashed out on one single player), the sort of impact he’s made at Dortmund at a very young age, the media will be putting a huge of amount of expectations on his shoulders to be the main man every game. The moment he has a poor game, this place will be all over him. If he joins us, our fans & the media will be expecting him to hit the ground running from the get-go.

Jezpeza

I disagree with that part. The money involved in this potential deal (upwards of £100M which is a fee no club in England have splashed out on one single player), the sort of impact he’s made at Dortmund at a very young age, the media will be putting a huge of amount of expectations on his shoulders to be the main man every game. The moment he has a poor game, this place will be all over him. If he joins us, our fans & the media will be expecting him to hit the ground running from the get-go.
i disagree. we would be signing an exceptional young talent who will develop. But not peak lionel messi.

Anustart89

squad player for me just denotes a player who is good enough to play for the team but is a back up to a slightly better player. I think Quality is the key - either a hungry young player who is able but can develop or an older player who has quality but is no longer a starter - a Mata or perhaps Matic type.
Yes, the main point is that we should never aspire to sign players that we already know aren't going to be better than those that are here.

Every signing at this point should be one designed to play in the first XI ahead of the ones already there. If the players who are already at the club can kick on and improve and relegate that signing to the bench - perfect. But ideally we should sign players who would relegate Fred and McTominay to the bench on current form.

If we buy a player for the purpose of having him on the bench, we haven't improved our max level one bit. Ighalo being the exception because his style is very different to Martial which gives us another option tactically.

Jezpeza

Yes, the main point is that we should never aspire to sign players that we already know aren't going to be better than those that are here.

Every signing at this point should be one designed to play in the first XI ahead of the ones already there. If the players who are already at the club can kick on and improve and relegate that signing to the bench - perfect. But ideally we should sign players who would relegate Fred and McTominay to the bench on current form.

If we buy a player for the purpose of having him on the bench, we haven't improved our max level one bit. Ighalo being the exception because his style is very different to Martial which gives us another option tactically.
not sure how far that goes. Are you implying that when everyone is fit We need to sign a player better than fernandes and pogba to build up the squad? You cant fill every position on the pitch with two £60m signings. Well, someone has tried it and might have breached FFP and be banned from europe for two years.....
you also get scenarios where the likes of shit hot prospects like Phil Foden cant get a game and certain players arent happy.

its a notion that i think doesnt really work outside of video games. By that argument in building the squad, you would need to sign a midfield of De Bruyne, Pogba, Fernandes and Modric. Youd need sterling, hazard, sancho and messi as wing options.

there are levels of players. If we had Pogba and Fernandes fit, and perhaps, a midfielder like Grealish or Cantwell, who whilst not their level have a very good premier league record this season and are a very good player in their own right and have the stats to support that, thats a good squad option. But by your logic that would be a poor signing.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It's actually to the contrary of that and proven in top teams across the continent. When you have a team full of talent, no one player is isolated and dug out - that happens when one player is seen as infinitely superior to his team-mates, hence: Messi; C.Ronaldo, and even Pogba (Untied specific - at Juve, he also proves the contrary) have experienced that during their careers when their teams have come up short.

Look at City; look at Liverpool; look at Bayern and so on. There's no single player who is torn into when those teams aren't meeting expectations. I was going to say Neymar, too, but his situation is a little different given he was purchased solely to raise PSG's profile whilst elevating them to CL winners.

Sancho, as great as he's been, is not going to come to United and be automatically deemed our best player. For all intents and purposes, it's still world-cup winning and influencing Pogba - the guy with all-time potential and all the rest of it. Make no bones about it, if we start next season with Pogba here, it'll be he, if anyone, who'll get all the attention and bear the brunt of any stick be it from the fans or media. Obviously, partly because of his back story, but mostly because his talent suggests he should be an all-time great midfielder delivering all-time great level football at every minute of every game.

Consider:

Rashford----Martial----Sancho
------------------------Fernandes
-----------Pogba
--------------------DM

There's no way Sancho is the headline boy or the star turn there. Rashford and Pogba followed by the others are where all the attention is naturally and organically tilted.

Fernandes is also in the middle of possibly taking himself up a tier, too, so his story is going to garner attention.

It's a great position for Sancho to ease himself into life as a world star whilst not being the most talked about player in the team - by some margin - unless his football snatches the limelight from others.

jamesjimmybyrondean

not sure how far that goes. Are you implying that when everyone is fit We need to sign a player better than fernandes and pogba to build up the squad? You cant fill every position on the pitch with two £60m signings. Well, someone has tried it and might have breached FFP and be banned from europe for two years.....
you also get scenarios where the likes of shit hot prospects like Phil Foden cant get a game and certain players arent happy.

its a notion that i think doesnt really work outside of video games. By that argument in building the squad, you would need to sign a midfield of De Bruyne, Pogba, Fernandes and Modric. Youd need sterling, hazard, sancho and messi as wing options.

there are levels of players. If we had Pogba and Fernandes fit, and perhaps, a midfielder like Grealish or Cantwell, who whilst not their level have a very good premier league record this season and are a very good player in their own right and have the stats to support that, thats a good squad option. But by your logic that would be a poor signing.
Doesn't even work on fifa. I don't know why people are suggesting signing players that should bench Fred who has arguably been our best and most consistent player this season

Dan_F

Why would they sell one of their top players who are on their peak years and totally adapted to the club and system to try to sign a top prospect? Makes no sense, I call bullshit.
A bit like when they sold Coutinho you mean? It would make perfect sense to try and get rid of Salah for top money, while his reputation is so high.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

You are looking at it simplistically I think. You don’t need to look for a player better than Pogba or Fernandes per se, but you could buy a 19 year old with fantastic potential as a rotation option. Or have proven top players like Mata who can’t do it every week as such.

I think a squad can have first choices, simply because there are some players literally that good that you couldn’t possibly find two of them. For other good players like Fred or Lindelöf, we should not be looking for players who are consigned to being worse than them. The only circumstances we should be looking to buy Connor Hourihane should be for emergency cover.

If you look at most top squads in the world, almost every single player comes through the door with the expectation of either being a first team player immediately, or growing into one. There is no squad player out of Harvey Barnes, Ayoze Perez and James Maddison, for instance. All 3 are very unlikely to start though. Dalot wasn’t bought to be a squad player and neither was Wan Bissaka. Dalot was bought because he was seen as a top young full back who we hope will develop into a Manchester United level full back, and Wan Bissaka similarly, albeit a bit further along.

I’ve purposely not made any City comparisons because their financial situation is just different. But generally, where you don’t have a Mané or Salah already, you buy for the first team.

Silas

A bit like when they sold Coutinho you mean? It would make perfect sense to try and get rid of Salah for top money, while his reputation is so high.
Nothing like Coutinho unless Salah wants out.

AltiUn

Nothing like Coutinho unless Salah wants out.
Not to mention Coutinho didn't really suit Klopp's system which is why he didn't mind letting him go.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not to mention Coutinho didn't really suit Klopp's system which is why he didn't mind letting him go.
Liverpool minded letting him go very much. And ‘Klopp’s system’ is a work in progress. This idea that he doesn’t like midfielders who can play football is false. He’s just working with what he has. Coutinho wanted to leave, and was forced to stay for until January before they eventually gave in for £130m. Then they targeted Nabil Fekir.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Liverpool minded letting him go very much. And ‘Klopp’s system’ is a work in progress. This idea that he doesn’t like midfielders who can play football is false. He’s just working with what he has. Coutinho wanted to leave, and was forced to stay for until January before they eventually gave in for £130m. Then they targeted Nabil Fekir.
They all but signed him, too. Like, it broke down in the last hour, FM style.

Status
Not open for further replies.