Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCurry

I remember City being in for Fred, was there realistic competition for the other players?
City were strongly linked with Sanchez and Pogba before that. Of course once United lands a player City never really wanted them anyway.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I remember City being in for Fred, was there realistic competition for the other players?
The ones I can think of off the top of my head: Liverpool were in for Memphis, Chelsea were in for Lukaku, City were in for Maguire and Sanchez.

Remember the geese

As well as Fred and Sanchez, City were also in for Maguire. Conte was big on Lukaku for Chelsea and I believe Liverpool were interested in Memphis. Spurs were after Bruno last Summer, but I feel we may have had a reasonably free run for him in January. Well, aside from Barcelona's rumoured interest, which may or may not have been real.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Got to admit that I'm surprised that you're a serious contender or maybe even the favourite for his signature, too. Would't have thought that you still have that kind of attraction towards young players.

That being said, I still think you guys exaggerate a bit. You definitely lost reputation throughout the last 5-6 years and it is a lot harder for you to sign top players than it used to be. Sancho may end up at United eventually but I think if that happens, his English and Manchester roots will play a huge part in that decision. Back in the day, you were definitely a tier above Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Chelsea, City and Liverpool in the food chain. That's no longer the case. I think especially in non-British perception, you are less attractive than you might think. Which doesn't mean that you could turn back the clock in an instance, anyway. It'd take you two great seasons at most and you're back at the top.
It’s crazy haha why is he even thinking about us?!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
City were strongly linked with Sanchez and Pogba before that. Of course once United lands a player City never really wanted them anyway.
The ones I can think of off the top of my head: Liverpool were in for Memphis, Chelsea were in for Lukaku, City were in for Maguire and Sanchez.
Bailly was apparently City bound before we signed him.
Cheers fellas
In addition, Shaw was also wanted by Chelsea. Dalot was also reported to have been a target for every top club in Europe. Martial was strongly linked to both Spurs and Chelsea I believe. Bruno to Spurs.

Garry Buck

I think he will sign an extension and go next year. Maybe United or possibly elsewhere.

RUCK4444

Got to admit that I'm surprised that you're a serious contender or maybe even the favourite for his signature, too. Would't have thought that you still have that kind of attraction towards young players.

That being said, I still think you guys exaggerate a bit. You definitely lost reputation throughout the last 5-6 years and it is a lot harder for you to sign top players than it used to be. Sancho may end up at United eventually but I think if that happens, his English and Manchester roots will play a huge part in that decision. Back in the day, you were definitely a tier above Bayern, PSG, Juventus, Chelsea, City and Liverpool in the food chain. That's no longer the case. I think especially in non-British perception, you are less attractive than you might think. Which doesn't mean that you could turn back the clock in an instance, anyway. It'd take you two great seasons at most and you're back at the top.
The feck is this?

NYAS

:lol: Come on man, this is too transparent a WUM. Nobody was even talking about our attractiveness. You must be really bored, wanting to provoke controversy just for the sake of it and weirdly seem a little too offended that we are the front-runners. Very weird because I don’t think that should stoke up any emotions in a random Leverkusen supporter.

By the way, how does your argument look when you find out that Sancho has no “Manchester roots”?

Acquire Me

:lol:

Judas

Open to offers
The players we've still been able to attract while being mostly gash is mad really, our money has obviously helped, but if we were as looked down upon as people want to make us think, we'd have had no chance at the talent we've got.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Uniteds time will come again. We've got a really exciting bunch of players right now. Rashford n Martial have improved under Ole. Fred has kicked on. Oles signings have been really good and we have 3 to 4 exceptional young talents who have just broke through or are about to. Things are starting to look positive.

On the other side of the City...... Pep is apparently off in 1 more year and Aguero Fernandinho are nearly done. Silva goes this summer, Kompany already gone. Sane looks like he's leaving too. City need a huge rebuild soon and might have a CL ban which won't help their cause.

With 1 or 2 more sensible moves we will be the team to try and take down the scousers soon. City won't fully go away due to their owners pockets but I think their mini era of domination is well and truly over now.

TheReligion

Abusive

Not the greatest post in the world but when it comes to developing and giving opportunities to young players United are still the best in the PL. If you were a young player why wouldn't you opt for that? It's a bit like asking why Haarland went to Dortmund or how they still attract players.

Ultimately United are still a huge club both historically and as a brand/financially in the present. The club has some world class players and some with the potential to be world class whom are still developing. Why this wouldn't be a pull I don't know.

If your way of thinking was right then only the top two in every league would pick up good players. It's quite narrow minded really.

reddevilchennai

Uniteds time will come again. We've got a really exciting bunch of players right now. Rashford n Martial have improved under Ole. Fred has kicked on. Oles signings have been really good and we have 3 to 4 exceptional young talents who have just broke through or are about to. Things are starting to look positive.

On the other side of the City...... Pep is apparently off in 1 more year and Aguero Fernandinho are nearly done. Silva goes this summer, Kompany already gone. Sane looks like he's leaving too. City need a huge rebuild soon and might have a CL ban which won't help their cause.

With 1 or 2 more sensible moves we will be the team to try and take down the scousers soon. City won't fully go away due to their owners pockets but I think their mini era of domination is well and truly over now.
Problem is our manager. Unless he improves his game plan and tactics massively, we don't have a chance of topping City or Liverpool.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Problem is our manager. Unless he improves his game plan and tactics massively, we don't have a chance of topping City or Liverpool.
Don't agree. He's beaten Pep 3 times in one year. Beaten Jose. Beaten Lampard 3 times. He's simply not had the players to play exciting football as Bruno wasn't there for most of it and we didn't have Pogba for whatever reason. Martial also missed 2 months early on and Rashford missed last 6 weeks before Covid struck.

Ole will have us playing better football now I'm sure. You can't play great football with Lingard and Periera in key positions.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Imagine spouting rubbish like this and actually believing it.

Bruno has shown there is just a huge gulf in quality between us and them, tactically it hasn't been an issue.

romufc

No its not. Arsenal and Chelsea have hired a rookie manager and no one seems to be concerned about that.

His game plan and tactics? whats wrong with it? He has beaten Pep, Jose, Lamps and one of the only managers to take points of Klopp this season.

Have you not seen that when our players are fit we do play decent stuff?

rotherham_red

City (and I think Chelsea) were also in for Bailly - IIRC, Bailly confirmed that Drogba persuaded him to go to Utd because of the Jose factor.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
I don’t think he did have a point really. I think it’s just rhetoric, it fits with the script of football, but not the reality. In fan logic, and journo article repetition, it makes sense that players wouldn’t fancy us. In reality, the facts contradict this, and there has never been a point, post-Fergie, when players have started going to City, Liverpool or Chelsea over us because we’re not as good as we used to be.

I mean, we’ve lost out on players, as we did before - but more often than not, everytime we’ve gone up against a City or Chelsea for a player we’ve invariably won the battle. Only the press have theorised that this is because the players were mercenaries. Fred, Bailly, Sanchez, Dalot, Lukaku, Maguire, Memphis, Bruno and probably others have preferred to join United over domestic rivals in recent years. The notion that players don’t want to come to us lives on the internet, in WWE terms it would be part of the storyline - it just doesn’t live in real life. Thankfully.
In all fairness, your points are spot on.

But I was being more general about players overlooking/avoiding us instead of us just missing out on players going to our rivals.

Bale & Kroos are two players that come to my mind who repeatedly rejected the chance to join us. During Moyes’ time, I believe apart from Bale, there were a couple others too, who avoided the chance to join us (Rakitic & Fabregas I think?)
I think Fabregas is also an example of someone who we tried for numerous times up until he chose Chelsea instead of us when leaving Barca. Varane is another player that rejected us if I’m not wrong.

Some found the life in England not as good as other European cities/countries, some had language barriers maybe.
But during Fergie’s time, players were willing to overlook such factors just to play for the best manager in one of the best teams and stadiums. We lost that appeal when we chose Moyes.

Sanchez, who people say chose us instead of city, only chose us because we offered (a lot) more money. Coming from a team like Arsenal, money was a key factor in his decision since he was approaching the end of his prime.

I don’t disagree with you but I just meant generally, multiple teams can now match our appeal who weren’t even in the same conversation before.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Haha it’s interesting to note how this thread went from discussing SANCHO to correcting some random German fan who doesn’t even have his facts right ( :lol: ), to defending Ole (who is obviously not at fault for the lack of quality in the team or the number of injuries he’s had to deal with).

seegoblu

With the club's net debt increasing by more than 125mm in the past three month's per Ed this morning, I am beginning to doubt the club's ability to make a significant move this summer. While I am confident that the club's significant commercial income will ensure that the pandemic will not create an existential crisis for the club, I am not sure that we will be able to take advantage of a depressed market as we have assumed.

Unless the initial fee is structured to be paid over time (e.g., 100m paid over 4 years, plus add ons), I think Sancho might not be attainable.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
The best time to shop for clubs that have the money is now.
Maybe this time 'Utd tax' won't be applied to us.

Garry Buck

No chance he comes now after Woodward’s comments today. I will be shocked if we get in anybody now to be honest.

Greck

With the club's net debt increasing by more than 125mm in the past three month's per Ed this morning, I am beginning to doubt the club's ability to make a significant move this summer. While I am confident that the club's significant commercial income will ensure that the pandemic will not create an existential crisis for the club, I am not sure that we will be able to take advantage of a depressed market as we have assumed.

Unless the initial fee is structured to be paid over time (e.g., 100m paid over 4 years, plus add ons), I think Sancho might not be attainable.
Link? Not an expert but I'm seeing people celebrating numbers which I'm not sure are that fantastic. Like you said, great for getting through a pandemic crisis very comfortably but not great for "splurging" without losing that comfort

Last edited:

reddevilchennai

Imagine spouting rubbish like this and actually believing it.

Bruno has shown there is just a huge gulf in quality between us and them, tactically it hasn't been an issue.
That means around 50% people who voted in favour of sacking Ole in this forum have been spouting rubbish.

The issue is we struggle to beat teams those park the bus. That's were we need to improve massively.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

Like most transfers, the fee is always structured to be paid over the span of a few years.
But we may have to pay more up front since BVB will prefer financial security during this pandemic. But we could use that to our favour if they agree to lower the total fee in return (i.e bring it down from 120-150 to 80-100 including add ons).
That would mean we probably end up paying 40/50m up front though.

If we can finalize the Smalling deal to Roma and perhaps sell Dalot, we might be able to direct those funds towards the SANCHO deal.
Can’t think of any of our other players who’d fetch a decent price (during this pandemic) who we’d be okay with moving on.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Link? Not an expert but I'm seeing people celebrating on twitter about numbers which I'm not sure are that fantastic. Like you said, great for getting through a pandemic crisis very comfortably but not great for "splurging" without losing that comfort
In the global context, going forward United will be in a much healthier position than most clubs, which suggests that we will have more spare cash for transfers compared to most other clubs, it's all about context. With less cash floating around the transfer value slides somewhat.
The issue going forward will be clubs not wanting to sell their assets, which is the reason we won't get Sancho.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
In the global context, going forward United will be in a much healthier position than most clubs, which suggests that we will have more spare cash for transfers compared to most other clubs, it's all about context. With less cash floating around the transfer value slides somewhat.
The issue going forward will be clubs not wanting to sell their assets, which is the reason we won't get Sancho.
So basically, we are not going to get him because Dortmund don’t want to sell him? That’s your take on this whole situation?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
What good will it do to BVB by keeping SANCHO? His value is only going to drop next year. And almost half of it!
Not to mention they’ll have to pay his wages for another year as well which are substantial!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On the contrary, maybe clubs will actually want/have to sell their assets to cover the huge amounts of debt/losses they are going to encur.

Sancho only has a very small amount of time left in his contract also, they're losing value on him every month.

romufc

What good will it do to BVB by keeping SANCHO? His value is only going to drop next year. And almost half of it!
Not to mention they’ll have to pay his wages for another year as well which are substantial!
I don't think they care about paying his wages because if they sold him, they will have to sign someone else who will have wages too. That is a silly argument to sell him IMO.

Even then, if he stays and clubs are financially stable, there could be a bidding war for him. His value will not half, be serious.

Hazard went to Madrid for £100m with one year left on his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.