Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skåre Willoch

Rashford - Martial - Sancho - Greenwood -Igalo (if we can hold on to him ) would offer alot of Fire power . That excites me , especially if we can keep Pogba and Add a defensive Midfielder. I honestly think we would be contenders with that.
Yes. I Agree. Proper squad building that.

Strelok

That would mean we would have to give Dortmund more not less money
*except Dortmund
:lol:

Well we all know our Lingard but seriously, he got into the England squad and played in a WC. We should be able to get some quid for him and I think he'd fit there pretty well. Bundes is a less defensive focus, less demanding league and usually with much more space. He'd do well there imo.

And the best thing is we won't have to see the guy in an United shirt anymore, and the ridiculous wages we're currently paying him. And we get Sancho :D

beingshe7don

If we can pull off Werner and Sancho in this window, we would have our attack sorted for the next decade.

ST - Martial/ Werner/ Greenwood
LW - Rashford/ Martial/ James
RW - Sancho/ James/ Greenwood

6 players to fill 3 positions is more than enough backup
First 11 (Rashford - Werner - Sancho)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Werner is almost identical to Martial as a type of striker. Is he better? Perhaps, but I feel sure that Martial would have a lot of goals and assists in the Bundesliga for RB Leipzig. I would probably prefer someone that would add different qualities to our squad.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Werner is almost identical to Martial as a type of striker. Is he better? Perhaps, but I feel sure that Martial would have a lot of goals and assists in the Bundesliga for RB Leipzig. I would probably prefer someone that would add different qualities to our squad.
I’m not even convinced he’s better anyway. We’ll see soon. I don’t think he’s the sort of profile of striker we need anyway, unless Martial were to leave this summer.

yo@Kirk

If we can pull off Werner and Sancho in this window, we would have our attack sorted for the next decade.

How does Greenwood get the playing time to develop if he's 3rd choice ST, 3rd choice RW, and 4th choice LW for the foreseeable future? He'd be lucky to make the bench for most matches if Man Utd management thinks that little of him.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Don’t see why anyone thinks we’ve got a chance of getting Werner? Seems nailed on for Liverpool.
Not that I want him but Liverpool won't be spending big unless they sell well. Which I wouldn't put past Michael Edwards, to be fair.

beingshe7don

I’m not even convinced he’s better anyway. We’ll see soon. I don’t think he’s the sort of profile of striker we need anyway, unless Martial were to leave this summer.
I'm a fan of Martial but Werner is definitely someone who will achieve a lot more. Werner seems like a machine sort of player that will grab you goals whereas Martial is more of a moody player. If anything, Werner is more of a Rashford. At 52m, Werner is a catch and has averaged more than 20+ goals in the last 4 seasons.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm a fan of Martial but Werner is definitely someone who will achieve a lot more. Werner seems like a machine sort of player that will grab you goals whereas Martial is more of a moody player. If anything, Werner is more of a Rashford. At 52m, Werner is a catch and has averaged more than 20+ goals in the last 4 seasons.
I don’t necessarily see Werner as a natural goalscorer yet personally, although he has recently posted good numbers. I don’t think he’s necessarily more of a goalscorer than Martial, although they are the same age and could both go on to become consistent scorers. He’s a good player, just not sure he’s nailed on to be a high numbers man in the long haul yet.

beingshe7don

I don’t necessarily see Werner as a natural goalscorer yet personally, although he has recently posted good numbers. I don’t think he’s necessarily more of a goalscorer than Martial, although they are the same age and could both go on to become consistent scorers. He’s a good player, just not sure he’s nailed on to be a high numbers man in the long haul yet.
2016-17 (goals/ games played)2017-18 (goals/ games played)2018-19 (goals/ games played)2019-20 (goals/ games played)
Werner21/3221/4519/3730/38
Martial8/4211/4512/3816/34

Given the last 4 seasons, Martial is no way close to the numbers Werner has put up. Also, Martial may be more talented than Werner but when if comes to mindset, I think Werner is more hungry as a player to achieve the objectives he sets. Werner will score more goals than Martial and there's no doubt about it. Martial just seems to be content with the numbers he's putting up. I don't see much drive in him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
2016-17 (goals/ games played)2017-18 (goals/ games played)2018-19 (goals/ games played)2019-20 (goals/ games played)

Given the last 4 seasons, Martial is no way close to the numbers Werner has put up. Also, Martial may be more talented than Werner but when if comes to mindset, I think Werner is more hungry as a player to achieve the objectives he sets. Werner will score more goals than Martial and there's no doubt about it. Martial just seems to be content with the numbers he's putting up. I don't see much drive in him.
Fair enough, we both have our observations, and you seem quite the psychology expert too!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Fair enough, we both have our observations, and you seem quite the psychology expert too!
Didn't Werner struggle centrally upfront like Rashford did so got played off at an angle out wider?

Martial is a support striker anyway even though he plays centrally for us, our main goal threat is supposed to be from out wide.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Personally, if we go for Sancho we have too many right footed players who are better on the left flank - we need more left footed strikers or at RW.

Sancho to me is a better version of Daniel james already & our attack is heavily lopsided. If we get Sancho -

LF- Rashford/Sancho/Martial
ST- Martial/New left footed ST/Greenwood
RF- Sancho/Greenwood/left footed ST

Have 5 top class forwards playing for 3 positions soon as we are about to hit our peak rather than 6. We need to free up space for Sancho in my opinion if he comes because he should be allowed to play on both flanks and also allow Greenwood to play on the right at times when if he isnt in form for CF for example.

All well and good but Martial has predominantly been a winger for those four seasons apart from this one, while Werner has equal game time from being up front, on the wing and as a second striker.

nyanza

While I agree with the general point, using games instead of play time is pretty silly when we're talking about scoring. In 16/17 where it looks like Martial has played 10 whole games more they actually have about the same minutes on the pitch - 2464 and 2517. In the next three seasons where it looks like they have about the same amount of games, Martial has actually played quite a bit less - 1060 minutes less in 17/18, 774 less in 18/19 and 486 less last season.

yo@Kirk

It's not even about physical maturity FFS. The lad is young as hell and has just had his first season at senior level. The learning curve is immense. There is every chance that his physicality remains the same but he simply learns how to adapt to a new level over time. In any job a step up in level requires bedding in time and writing off Greenwood's future as a striker after one season is simply stupid, especially considering that's the position he came up in.
If Ole thought Greenwood would grow into the first choice striker role, he would not have made a personal appeal to Haaland to join his team and be the focal point of his attack. I believe Ole will continue looking for a long term #1 striker for his attack in the next transfer window. Edouard for 25m would be a good choice, imo.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52746083

Jadon Sancho: Could the England forward be the heir to Lionel Messi's crown?

Good piece and shows how insane his stats are for his age.
Messi is on another level.Sancho is not even close to that even Mhkitaryan and kagawa were brilliant in their Dortmund days but how badly they flopped when joining other teams.Bundesliga is not on par with other leagues.

RUCK4444

Absolutely have to get this over the line.

I can’t remember a signing that could be so important in relation to the importance of improving the position he plays, the player profile (age, talent, nationality), he brings goals and assists, HUGE marketing potential around his image for the club.

That’s before you factor in the current times and the importance of emerging strongly after this and potentially closing the gap, and then his existing friendships with players within the squad.

Literally ticks every single box imo.

kirk buttercup

Messi is on another level.Sancho is not even close to that even Mhkitaryan and kagawa were brilliant in their Dortmund days but how badly they flopped when joining other teams.Bundesliga is not on par with other leagues.
Bundasliga is one of the top leagues in Europe ( therefore the world ) only coming behind the premiership and possibly La Liga ( and that is debatable after you take out the big boys) , it's better than Serie A and Ligue1 , Eredivisie etc. and all the other leagues that come behind them . You can balance the argument and say what about De Bruyne or Sane , or Firmino who all came from the Bundasliga when talking about Kagawa and Mhki . Sancho is in theory the perfect signing but not anywhere near Messi , the reality is no one knows because the world is in meltdown what will happen with regards to him but I would be happy with just him this season tbh .

Last edited:

NoPace

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52746083

Jadon Sancho: Could the England forward be the heir to Lionel Messi's crown?

Good piece and shows how insane his stats are for his age.
Even if he’s “just” a Mane or Robben in terms of goalscoring and also the #3 or #4 assists guy in the Prem behind De Bruyne and whoever gets hot from the 2nd tier of TAA, Maddison, Bruno and Ziyech (add whoever you like), that’s probably better than a peak Eden Hazard season year!

100M for healthy Robben or Figo or Giggs or Hazard at age 20 would be a snip, he doesn’t need to be Messi or Cristiano.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think he’ll have a fight on his hands to even establish himself in the England team to be honest, although I’m sure it would be a good fight.

3 doesn’t go into 2, and Rashford, Sterling and Sancho are all battling for two spots. All are still young players too, so none will be planning to let up any time soon. Just a few months ago, Sancho seemed to be battling Hudson-Odoi to even be next in line.

Rolaholic

If there's any possible chance of bringing him in this summer, we need to do it without hesitation.

Can't help but feel that we'll be kicking ourselves if we try to wait and allow other clubs to come into the picture next year.

By all accounts we seem to be in pole position this summer. Even if he's the only signing it would be worth it in the long run, the kid is different gravy and English to boot

steve88

Find it funny how people get affended if you say at this age sancho was better than Messi and Cristiano. IT doesn't mean he is gonna be better or as good but we don't know for sure if he will be worse or better, Let's say he is at Neymar or a Robben level and in say 4 years time is considered one of the best and could win ballon dor than he has been a success being world class doesnt mean Just mean being like Ronaldo and messi levels before those 2 it was zidane and Ronaldinho and Henry. Hooe he joins united but if not exciting to see how good he gets.

RUCK4444

If there's any possible chance of bringing him in this summer, we need to do it without hesitation.

Can't help but feel that we'll be kicking ourselves if we try to wait and allow other clubs to come into the picture next year.

By all accounts we seem to be in pole position this summer. Even if he's the only signing it would be worth it in the long run, the kid is different gravy and English to boot
Yep yep yep. HAVE to act now and get this done at all costs.

He’s super talented, potential to be an incredibly good player.

Just feckin make it happen Woody. Do not feck this up.

croadyman

Yep yep yep. HAVE to act now and get this done at all costs.

He’s super talented, potential to be an incredibly good player.

Just feckin make it happen Woody. Do not feck this up.
Yeah this has to be the absolute top priority this summer and if that means he is our only bit of business then so be it, we are talking a top generational talent here who we have to go all in for right now

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
On the bench again today. Would have thought he’d start this one, what with being Dortmund’s best player and all that!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
On the bench again today. Would have thought he’d start this one, what with being Dortmund’s best player and all that!
Seems either they're giving him the cold shoulder treatment for wanting to leave this summer, or he returned very unfit and they don't think he can last 90 minutes.

I'd say the former is most likely.

danamann

I think the 'calf issue' is a made-up / exaggerated story. Sancho clearly came back overweight and is not fit for the whole 90 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.