Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
So like I said they are signalling they want to deal. Basically serving Sancho up and saying if you want him come pay for him.
There aren't really any new signals. It's been reported for a whole year now that Dortmund are willing to sell if someone meets their valuation.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
I think what a lot of people are forgetting is that even though with one year left on his contract next summer his market value would logically go down, that will also mean that a whole lot of other teams would also love to grab a bite of the Sancho cherry and would be in a better position than now to do so. This will definitely create a bidding war likely to drive the price right back up. Basic economics really and I think Dortmund would be banking on this should they fail to get their asking price this window.
Sancho strikes me as the type who would to which ever top team pays him most. A lot can also change in a year and all of Juventus, Bayern, Madrid, PSG, Chelsea and United could be in a better place to get him and not just United this year.
When you could potentially have all these teams in a bidding war why budge now?
We managed to sell Hazard who only wanted Madrid with one year left for 100m. Dortmund will get their pound of flesh.

.mica

Supports
Dortmund
Big difference selling your main striker to your main rival and selling Sancho to the premier league though. Not the best example. Either way I don’t think we will get him anyway, unless we fork out £100m. Regardless, Dortmund will still function and still finish 2nd with or without Sancho.
Not really. It comes to the question for the club: money or perfomance on the pitch (and a little less money). I agree with you thats not the best example. But more so that with Sancho there would be still one year left. While with Lewandowski it was money or no money and performance on the pitch. And they choosed the later one.

A lot depends on the player though
Who has 2 years on contract still going. A player can say where he wants to go. That doesn't change that as his current club you only can say: "Ok so then youre potential new club must show what you are worth to them".

In all this process, it does help that Real Madrid seems very interested too and is probably not the only one.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Big difference selling your main striker to your main rival and selling Sancho to the premier league though. Not the best example. Either way I don’t think we will get him anyway, unless we fork out £100m. Regardless, Dortmund will still function and still finish 2nd with or without Sancho.
I’m just referring to the basic principle of how value relates to ‘time served’. A £100m player on a 5 year deal for example is amortised at £20m a year of his contract. You may get £20m less selling him a year later, but quantifying that exclusively as some sort of loss doesn’t consider value added on the pitch.

In theory, Dortmund should have just sold him even last summer. His value would have been very high., but they wouldn’t have got the value they got from him on the pitch this season. Chelsea could put Werner on the market tomorrow, as they will get more money than if they do it when he has a year left. But they won’t get the football they paid for in the first place.

I know it doesn’t all relate directly to this case, but I’m simply introducing the possibility that Dortmund are also concerned about their football team as much as their balance sheet. We are still not certain what will happen with Pogba, but if he doesn’t sign next week, there is no guarantee we will decide that we are going to sell him this summer. We get more money, but we lose some of the Pogba we paid for in the first place, which is an actual footballer. Arsenal and Spurs waited until final 6 months to let Sanchez and Eriksen leave even. They aren’t complaining, they wanted the footballers. There was a trade off to be made, they could have gotten more money earlier, but would have lost the players.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I get that but that only works if they do better than they have this season. For example, United finish top 4 then the extra money spent on Maguire, AWB, Bruno is justified. If they sell Sancho for less next summer, they out of CL in quarter final, 2nd behind Bayern then there was no value to keep him.

You would rather the £100m this summer, invest £50m of it and finish second and get to the quarter final of CL.
In general I don't really disagree with that line of thinking, but I would say that reality is more nuanced than that. E.g. barely making top 4 vs comfortably finishing second vs playing a season where you get close and might have won it with a bit of luck makes a difference in how your work is perceived and how attractive you are to potential signings and the public (sponsors).

They may end up losing more than £20m, no one is paying £100m for him next summer with a year left.
Well that is the big question, isn't it?

This summer it's Corona pushing down the price.

Next summer it will be his contract pushing down the price, but Corona could be a thing of the past and (the "risk" for hesitatant buyers) of a good Euros could also up the price a lot.

I don't think it's that simple to predict how the offers will change between now and next year and there are also soft factors to consider: e.g. losses on this tranfer can turn into gains on the next if it makes people think you won't budge on your demands.

Member 90887

I’m just referring to the basic principle of how value relates to ‘time served’. A £100m player on a 5 year deal for example is amortised at £20m a year of his contract. You may get £20m less selling him a year later, but quantifying that exclusively as some sort of loss doesn’t consider value added on the pitch.

In theory, Dortmund should have just sold him even last summer. His value would have been very high., but they wouldn’t have got the value they got from him on the pitch this season. Chelsea could put Werner on the market tomorrow, as they will get more money than if they do it when he has a year left. But they won’t get the football they paid for in the first place.

I know it doesn’t all relate directly to this case, but I’m simply introducing the possibility that Dortmund are also concerned about their football team as much as their balance sheet. We are still not certain what will happen with Pogba, but if he doesn’t sign next week, there is no guarantee we will decide that we are going to sell him this summer. We get more money, but we lose some of the Pogba we paid for in the first place, which is an actual footballer. Arsenal and Spurs waited until final 6 months to let Sanchez and Eriksen leave even. They aren’t complaining, they wanted the footballers. There was a trade off to be made, they could have gotten more money earlier, but would have lost the players.
I get the other poster's point. He's just saying that keeping him wouldn't actually give them anymore on the pitch than not keeping him. Just like keeping him last summer. They finished 2nd this year and they got dumped out of the CL. So even without him, they'd probably have finished 2nd anyways.

I agree that it's too simplistic and that having Sancho in the team gives you a better chance at winning. But will Dortmund feel the same ?

Are they really gonna get more for him next year with: 1) one year left on his contract; 2) a slim chance for him to have a season as good as the one he had this year ?

They are losing money, the future is not certain and the transfer market next year might well be even more impacted than this year. Will they take the risk ? after all, it's a bussiness.

When you factor in that Dortmung is actually a selling club. It looks more likely that they'd favor selling and reinvesting than keeping him for sporting value at the risk of losing tens of millions next year. Because let's be honest, Hazard went for 100M euros with one year left on his contract and he is a more established player than Sancho. So i don't think anyone would pay more than a 100M euros next year for him with one year remaining on his contract. You might answer that Sancho has age on his side (20 vs 28 for Hazard when he was bought). But i'd bet that more people would take Hazard in a heartbeat over Sancho.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
For everyone saying ‘they will definitely sell this summer as they will get less next summer’, are people forgetting they are actually a Football team, that plays football? It isn’t as simple as that, if they sell him for £20m less next summer, it is not a loss, they have also realised an extra £20m of value by having a footballer called Jadon Sancho playing in their attack for another season. He will be worth less, financially, but he’ll also strengthen their team until he goes.
Yes that is also a scenario that may be true, but just for the sake of speculation. What if he tells Dortmund he wants to leave right now? Keeping an player without motivation might not be the best idea. He could get injured too. We would be talking about alot less than a 20 million fall in price.

I doubt his place in the England squad is under any threat.

100£ million with a structured payment plan.

romufc

In general I don't really disagree with that line of thinking, but I would say that reality is more nuanced than that. E.g. barely making top 4 vs comfortably finishing second vs playing a season where you get close and might have won it with a bit of luck makes a difference in how your work is perceived and how attractive you are to potential signings and the public (sponsors).

Well that is the big question, isn't it?

This summer it's Corona pushing down the price.

Next summer it will be his contract pushing down the price, but Corona could be a thing of the past and (the "risk" for hesitatant buyers) of a good Euros could also up the price a lot.

I don't think it's that simple to predict how the offers will change between now and next year and there are also soft factors to consider: e.g. losses on this tranfer can turn into gains on the next if it makes people think you won't budge on your demands.
I agree with the principles.

It is the question, right now we are assuming that his price will drop next summer. This could go two ways.

1. He has another good season, BVB do well in the CL and he has a brilliant Euros or.
2. BVB have a bad season, he gets injured misses a few months and is sub at the Euros.

I feel right now, even with Covid his transfer value is at the highest. No one knows what happens next season, so risk that or cash in.

For United, pay the money or risk losing the player completely. We cannot go another season without a RW. If we go spend £60m on a RW, we cannot go and strengthen that position again when there are holes in the CDM, CB, CAM role.

With BVB not budging, it works if people thnk you wont budge however; everyone knows you don't budge, everyone knows you got £100m for Sancho, teams will do the same back to them.

We saw an example of United do that to Inter. 2 seasons ago, they didnt budge £5m on Perisic and United literally did the same with Lukaku.

Cmz'

Probably more confident we'll sign him now considering the exact same thing was said a couple of weeks before we signed each of Bruno, Maguire and AWB

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Spend £80 million on a defender but not more on a RW with plenty of years left in him?
We didn't have an estimated100m deficit to fill last summer from a pandemic and we also sold Lukaku for 75m too don't forget. The situations couldn't be more different.

Been saying this all summer. 100m signings this summer are about as likely as Trump being named humanitarian of the year. Unless Dortmund drop the price significantly he will be staying put for another season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Like our " senior officials " are going to talk to SSN about this :lol:

Even if it was real it's clearly just a hit back to what the Dortmund CEO said earlier.

romufc

We didn't have an estimated100m deficit to fill last summer from a pandemic and we also sold Lukaku for 75m too don't forget. The situations couldn't be more different.

Been saying this all summer. 100m signings this summer are about as likely as Trump being named humanitarian of the year. Unless Dortmund drop the price significantly he will be staying put for another season.
Yep, I cannot see team playing 100m for a player this summer.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Even if it was real it's clearly just a hit back to what the Dortmund CEO said earlier.
Exactly. Nothing article. Sky said the same about Maguire last year I think. It’s just another fake story to go into their SSN circulation on a slow day.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Looks like you're just trying to strengthen your starting negotiation position, and a deal will depend on how desperate Dortmund and/or Sancho are to leave this very summer. If this report was real then you could just as well have sent a "we are not interested" card to Dortmund.

It does indicate though that a potential fee would be closer to €70-80m rather than €100m. And it'll depend on the transfer market as a whole on whether Dortmund will let him go for that amount, I'd guess.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
£50m brief to skysports probably means we have around £80m we are willing to spend a house on.

Probably over simplifying but sounds the same as buying a house - set a low offer knowing inside you'll stretch if they call your bluff :lol:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Looks like you're just trying to strengthen your starting negotiation position, and a deal will depend on how desperate Dortmund and/or Sancho are to leave this very summer. If this report was real then you could just as well have sent a "we are not interested" card to Dortmund.

It does indicate though that a potential fee would be closer to €70-80m rather than €100m. And it'll depend on the transfer market as a whole on whether Dortmund will let him go for that amount, I'd guess.
They'd still get most of the 70m for him next summer even with only a year left due to his age and talent. This is why I thought a deal this year would be very hard to do. Sancho is going to have to kick up a real stink to force it I reckon. Dortmund can keep him and not really lose too much money on him. Next year there will be no shortage of buyers.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
I think the final sum will be close to 80-100m€ with parts of that being add-on payments if certain (easy achievable) targets will be achieved. Dortmund did the same with Dembele and Barca.

I think Dortmund are happy to cash in now because there's no way they value Sancho playing one more year more than getting +50m€. It's also an easy way to deal with the loss of the pandemic.

mav_9me

That's the main issue. If he wants to leave now or is OK to play another season. That will be the deciding factor.

Rolaholic

Sounds like the Bruno transfer all over again where we brief all that we'll lowball them only to end up paying their asking price the next window :rolleyes:

Reynoldo

Well its (apparent) confirmation that we are in for him anyway.

Nothing to worry about here really as its a (childlike) negotiating tactic most likely.

Dortmund probably want 100M+ for him

United don't want to pay more than 75/80m for him

Lets see who caves in the end (Woodward)

Giggsy13

Well that’s an Ed briefing to the press, £50 million is a joke of an assessment and unrealistic even in this market. Yes, he’ll only have 2 years left on his contract but we’re more than likely going to face competition from the other big clubs, if we put this off to next year, which will inevitably raise his price. City also have the right to match and get 15% of the proceeds so this dicking around by Ed and Judge isn’t going to help. £80 to £90 million plus add ons is more realistic and probably the price that could get it done.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Well that’s an Ed briefing to the press, £50 million is a joke of an assessment and unrealistic even in this market. Yes, he’ll only have 2 years left on his contract but we’re more than likely going to face competition from the other big clubs, if we put this off to next year, which will inevitably raise his price. City also have the right to match and get 15% of the proceeds so this dicking around by Ed and Judge isn’t going to help. £80 to £90 million plus add ons is more realistic and probably the price that could get it done.
If Woodward has briefed the press then Sky wouldn’t be the ones “breaking” the news. They’re gutter press, only ones from our end who would know what was going on would be people like Ducker, Stone and Peach.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This is obviously a total fabrication. Need to keep the story running even when nothing is happening. I hope nobody is falling for this.
A few already have.

It would be in places a lot more reputable than SSN if it was. No articles from Ducker or Stone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The first part of your post makes sense, but then you want us to cheap out on a bunch of players nowhere near good enough to start?
Chiesa is one of the most promising forwards in the world, he's well established in the Serie A and he can play in across the entire forward line. VDB is also pretty promising and an established player with Ajax. He's primarily a B2B player but he can also play as AMC and even DM. Sarr is a French U21 international. He's fast, he can play as LB and CB and he's considered quite promising as well. Salisu is highly rated as well. He's quite fast and his strong. These players are hungry, young, promising, versatile and a realistic salary/fee.

Chiesa would definitely walk into first team. VDB will give much needed rest/competition to Pogba and Bruno while Salisu and Sarr will finally allow us to get rid of Jones, Bailly and Rojo. If one between Salisu, Sarr and Tuanzebe can become WC then we'll finally have the partner Maguire deserves and all for a combined 12m fee.

ElMatador

Supports
Zagreb
https://www.ibtimes.com/no-coronavi...e-delighted-latest-update-146m-target-3003014

This transfer wont happen.. Dortmund said numerous times they dont want to sell him, if they need to, there will be k discount.
Sancho def never said he wanna leave and the big question is why would he leave now in this situation where he is a golden boy in this squad, plays big role every year in league and plays CL..
I mean he knows he will return some day to Eng, home, no doubt about that, but he isnt crazy at the moment to risk something that is going really, really well AND most likely he will have a much better new contract, 10M per year for a freaking 19 year old!

1 scenario can lead his way to Unitwd this summer is if he starts acting like Dembele, but i dont see that happening, that would be suicidal..
Its like karma played Dembele so hard on that behaviour at Dortmund.......

dal

I think passing that information to a major broadcaster wouldn’t do any harm at all.

Next step slip a figure of £60 million to the telegraph.

Swearing Budgie

Oh this is starting to look all too familiar.

We baulk at the price, put in a piss-take offer, then one of the big boys steps in and buys him for £100 mill and next year he is player of the season.

No value in the market.

"75 million for Van Dijk? You must be mad!"

passing-wind

What bargaining position do we have having spent 80 million on Maguire ? Next season will leave us in a vulnerable position given more clubs will enter the bidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.