Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josep Dowling

The thing you have to consider with Sancho is not just his talent but his age and marketability as well. We could potentially have England’s future front 3 if we sign him and that could be the case for 10 years. It’s a Manchester United type signing for me. Just hope we get it done. I wouldn’t be overly worried if we didn’t sign anyone else.

lysglimt

Scout
If we can offload Alexis, Andreas, Lingard, Jones and Smalling - we can afford to sign both Grealish and Sancho. The total net spend will probably be around £100 m - but the total wages will actually go down by quite a bit.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
We were always going to pay the price for Bruno but we wanted to make it addons/bonuses rather than upfront payments. That's what we achieved there. Same for Wan-Bissaka in that Palace wanted removal of the Zaha transfer clause but we held firm and got him for the agreed on price.

The only transfer that was ridiculous over the last couple seasons was the Maguire one. We ended up agreeing to Leicester's demands in the end. For the others, both parties compromised in the end.
Sportings President said that they got €20m more out of Bruno transfer than they initially expected to. Mainly due to us fecking about for summer window, and then bidding extremely late in January. I feel most of our big money signings are drawn out, they take an eternity to get wrapped up and generally happen pretty late. We tried waiting tactics with Maguire only to meet the asking price in the end.

Can you find a single transfer we've made where we've gotten an excellent deal due to playing the waiting game or our extra-ordinary negotiation skills? I feel over-paying is sort of our USP in post-Fergie era. We did well to get rid of Zaha clause but £55m was still an extra-ordinary amount of money for a full-back who had played only 1 year in the league.

arnie_ni

Sportings President said that they got €20m more out of Bruno transfer than they initially expected to. Mainly due to us fecking about for summer window, and then bidding extremely late in January. I feel most of our big money signings are drawn out, they take an eternity to get wrapped up and generally happen pretty late. We tried waiting tactics with Maguire only to meet the asking price in the end.

Can you find a single transfer we've made where we've gotten an excellent deal due to playing the waiting game or our extra-ordinary negotiation skills? I feel over-paying is sort of our USP in post-Fergie era. We did well to get rid of Zaha clause but £55m was still an extra-ordinary amount of money for a full-back who had played only 1 year in the league.
Did he not say we could have got him 20mil cheaper if we waited to this summer because of covid19

roseguy64

Did he not say we could have got him 20mil cheaper if we waited to this summer because of covid19
If he's the same president who was in charge when they had players leaving because of the fans attacking the complex then everything he says should be taken with a grain of salt. Pure agenda.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No he didn't. He said that they got €20m more in January than what we were originally offering in the summer. At worst (from our point of view) we paid the same amount as what we would have had to pay earlier, at best it was perhaps a few million less. In hindsight we obviously should have paid the fee in the first place, but it didn't directly cost us any extra money doing it that way.

We saved money on AWB by playing hard ball. From memory they were originally asking for 55-60m, and we ended up getting him for 45m with another 5m in add-ons.

-Supreme-

Sporting President comes across really bitter to me, he also recently said that if they sold Bruno now he'd be worth €10-15m

Perhaps he didn't get the price he wanted for Bruno?

Gerald G

If we can't get Sancho in this summer would you lot rather wait for him to be available next year or go in for a different winger? I say that because I like the look of Stengs, he's obviously unproven in the Dutch league looks a talent and is left footed

yo@Kirk

I don't see Ole spending 100m on Sancho when he lacks a #1 partner for Pogba at CM or a viable partner for Maguire at CB. Buying attacking depth is great when you have no starting positions requiring upgrades. I don't think Ole has that luxury at this point in the rebuild.

roseguy64

I don't see Ole spending 100m on Sancho when he lacks a #1 partner for Pogba at CM or a viable partner for Maguire at CB. Buying attacking depth is great when you have no starting positions requiring upgrades. I don't think Ole has that luxury at this point in the rebuild.
We've apparently signed a new contract with Matic in addition to his 1 year extension so that's his CM partner.

BlahRules

Sporting President comes across really bitter to me, he also recently said that if they sold Bruno now he'd be worth €10-15m

Perhaps he didn't get the price he wanted for Bruno?
He does sound bitter especially when Bruno is performing amazingly

This is going to be hard for Sporting to make another club pay more now if these comments are true.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Still doesn`t answer what to do when one of the current front 3 get injured. We saw how Martial`s injury hampered us and if we didnt sign Bruno/Ighalo Rashford`s injury would have completely finished us off. Be it Sancho or someone else an attacker HAS to be signed and I think Utd will try and structure a deal with BVB like Barca did for Dembele
As I mentioned, we should look for a cheaper alternative for Sancho if he’s unattainable.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Why? If Sancho is available we should
100% pursue him. Why settle for a lesser player ?
A player being available doesn’t necessarily correlate to him being affordable as well.

BVB is trying to price us out of a move. Unless the deal is structured in our favour I don’t see this going through.

macheda14

As I mentioned, we should look for a cheaper alternative for Sancho if he’s unattainable.
If we go for a cheaper alternative then 100 percent we’re allowing another club to buy him next summer. This summer is the only one where we won’t have competition. Next summer he’ll have less time left on his contract, but the competition for his signature will most likely result in him going for just as much money.

roseguy64

I
Fleeced!

Jesus the Coutinho and Grizemann deals too, marked!
Barcelona's transfers have been as worse as/almost as worse as Man Utd's since that Suarez/ter Stegen summer. They've had Messi to rely on though that's papered that over.

seegoblu

I have no idea what the transfer budget actually is, but if we would have to spend it all on Sancho, I am no longer in the camp that wants him in.

£100m, if that is the budget, could be spent building the depth this team is missing at all levels and still provide young cover with superstar upside. Based on media reports since the restart, I believe we could get:

Ousmane Dembele: loan with an option to buy
Thiago Alcantara: £25m
Partey: £45m
Upamecano: £35m

Taking the same Sancho transfer funds and spending them differently would patch our RW hole with Dembele teaming up with Greenwood and allows the team to ease Greenwood in and revisit Sancho in 2021 if Dembele doesn’t work. Thiago provides rotation and injury cover for Bruno and Pogba with 3 players playing 40 games each (based on a 60 game season). Partey takes the DM role with Matic providing cover and thus ensuring that Matic is not overworked and therefore keeping his legs fresh all season. Upamecano is the mobile progressive passing CB partner that Maguire needs.

I want Sancho, but if BVB holds to their price, redirecting those funds could put the club in a very strong position for 2021.

Reactions: van der star

RUCK4444

I have no idea what the transfer budget actually is, but if we would have to spend it all on Sancho, I am no longer in the camp that wants him in.

£100m, if that is the budget, could be spent building the depth this team is missing at all levels and still provide young cover with superstar upside. Based on media reports since the restart, I believe we could get:

Taking the same Sancho transfer funds and spending them differently would patch our RW hole with Dembele teaming up with Greenwood and allows the team to ease Greenwood in and revisit Sancho in 2021 if Dembele doesn’t work. Thiago provides rotation and injury cover for Bruno and Pogba with 3 players playing 40 games each (based on a 60 game season). Partey takes the DM role with Matic providing cover and thus ensuring that Matic is not overworked and therefore keeping his legs fresh all season. Upamecano is the mobile progressive passing CB partner that Maguire needs.

I want Sancho, but if BVB holds to their price, redirecting those funds could put the club in a very strong position for 2021.
Dude I understand your concern about squad depth but those prices you’ve quoted seem extremely low.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
If we go for a cheaper alternative then 100 percent we’re allowing another club to buy him next summer. This summer is the only one where we won’t have competition. Next summer he’ll have less time left on his contract, but the competition for his signature will most likely result in him going for just as much money.
Of course that will be the case next year but I don’t agree he’ll end up costing just as much next year. Competition does initiate bidding wars but he definitely won’t end up costing €120m.

As for allowing other clubs to come into the fray, the only clubs I would see enter would have to be from the Premier League as it is quite evident that Sancho wants to come back to England.
City is definitely not a spot for him. Neither is Liverpool unless they sell Mane/Salah and that is very unlikely as well. I only see Chelsea really giving us a fight but I think Sancho would rather wear #7 for us and be a part of a future England front 3 than go to Chelsea. I also think we’ll be doing better than Chelsea next season and that will also influence Sancho’s decision.

You could argue Sancho could still choose one of the other European clubs instead of coming back to England. In this scenario I only see Madrid/Barca giving us competition but Madrid seemed destined to land Mbappe for the RW spot and Barca are not taking the RW spot away from Messi either.

I think it’s not all that bad to wait a year. But I do hope BVB can lower their demands enough for us to be able to structure a deal this summer. And it could very well still happen because BVB initially bought him as an investment and they’ll never receive more money for him than they will this summer.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Dude I understand your concern about squad depth but those prices you’ve quoted seem extremely low.
Thiago and Partey fees are about right. Partey has a release clause and Thiago has one year left and the reported fee wanted is in that range.
Saying that though Sancho is a must buy and we should sell to raise funds for other positions

Mcking

That’s fair, I respect your point dude. For me I think Grealish could cover multiple positions whilst the key players stay fairly consistent to their positions.
He would be covering multiple positions that we wouldn't need to cover if Sancho does arrive. That's how I see it.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders

This!!!! Great post!

That’s literally the best way to spend a £100m budget.

I’ve even mentioned before in the Dembele thread that he’d be a great risk to take. We can also take our time bringing him into the fray to avoid further injuries to him while also letting Greenwood continue his progress perfectly.

If Dembele doesn’t improve or can’t seem to avoid injuries, than we can go back in for Sancho next year. Even if Dembele does seem to settle in well, we can keep him while also acquire Sancho. And let one of Ighalo/James go.

In Rainbows

When you have a chance to go for a super talent, you go for the super talent. You worry about filling out the rest in time as those kind of players are much more easily attainable by virtue of them not being quite as big of talents.

Secondly, you would rather your rivals get those "multiple options" you guys have listed rather than get a super talent like Sancho who could be a thorn in United's side for 10 years or so.

We have internal options for other positions worth assessing over for at least another season. For midfield we have Mejbri, Garner, and Levitt. For RB/LB we have Laird, and Williams. For CB we have Tuanzebe and Mengi.

No, that's not to say they will make it. I'm not delusional. The point is to say it is possible for them to make a mark and be a squad option if given the chance. It's a game of numbers and the more talents you have, the more likely one talent makes it. For example, if Garner goes out on loan and does really well, that's 1 problem solved. Same with Mengi.

If Mejbri is a super talent and takes really well to first team football, that's one squad option filled. Don't count on it, but it is a possibility. On the other hand, a player like Chong is someone I would not take that gamble on.

Point is, it's worth waiting a year to assess our situations for those positions if it means we're able to acquire a super talent like Sancho. Those kinds of players don't come around often. Much less, an English prodigy right after their age 19 season and just about to go into their age 20 season. It's not like we're talking about a Zaha type talent.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I imagine "waiting a year" also gives plenty of other clubs the same impetus to sign him. Right now we are his only major option. Next year there could be 4 massive clubs circling.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Of course that will be the case next year but I don’t agree he’ll end up costing just as much next year. Competition does initiate bidding wars but he definitely won’t end up costing €120m.

As for allowing other clubs to come into the fray, the only clubs I would see enter would have to be from the Premier League as it is quite evident that Sancho wants to come back to England.
City is definitely not a spot for him. Neither is Liverpool unless they sell Mane/Salah and that is very unlikely as well. I only see Chelsea really giving us a fight but I think Sancho would rather wear #7 for us and be a part of a future England front 3 than go to Chelsea. I also think we’ll be doing better than Chelsea next season and that will also influence Sancho’s decision.

You could argue Sancho could still choose one of the other European clubs instead of coming back to England. In this scenario I only see Madrid/Barca giving us competition but Madrid seemed destined to land Mbappe for the RW spot and Barca are not taking the RW spot away from Messi either.

I think it’s not all that bad to wait a year. But I do hope BVB can lower their demands enough for us to be able to structure a deal this summer. And it could very well still happen because BVB initially bought him as an investment and they’ll never receive more money for him than they will this summer.
I imagine "waiting a year" also gives plenty of other clubs the same impetus to sign him. Right now we are his only major option. Next year there could be 4 massive clubs circling.
Not sure if I missed any of the 4 clubs you’re talking about?

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You sign Sancho. He’s a generational talent, it isn’t even a debate for me. We don’t want squad players - we want players who will challenge for the starting lineup. If he comes in and it turns out he’s better and keeps one of the attacking three out then that player will need to improve. It’s all about competition for places. This is Manchester United - you don’t have a divine right to start. That’s what Ole has been saying in recent weeks too.

The big decision is do you go for him this year and maybe blow all our budget on him or do you gamble and get him for a reduced fee next year and strengthen other areas. That depends on how sure we are that he only wants us, what our finances are but also it’s on Dortmund - if they stick with their 120m valuation then I’d be amazed if we can sign him this year.

gorky_utd

120m is too much in this covid scenario. For that kind of money, probably both grealish and havertz could be bought. It is a tough decision that will entirely depend on ole. The problem with Sancho is that next summer a lot of club will be interested. Either way, I hope if we don't get him this summer, we buy our no 1 targets in other positions and don't buy target 2, 3 in rw position.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
£108million pounds is madness and we can't do that.

Hopefully it's just the usual posturing.

DarkXaero

We have to get Sancho this summer. Don't care if Greenwood ends up having 30 goals by the end of the season playing on the right wing. It's not about Greenwood. It's the chance to get one of the best young players in the world, who happens to be English, and can elevate us to title contention. Both Greenwood and Sancho are versatile enough to coexist in the same lineup easily, and I don't believe that Sancho would block Greenwood's progress. With Rashford, Greenwood, and Sancho, we have the chance to have England's first choice front 3 for years to come, and it can be a world class caliber attack. 108 million pounds is definitely steep in this climate, but if that is what it takes, then we have to pay. I hope that Sancho forces a move from his end, and that can help us a lot in negotiations with Dortmund.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We have to get Sancho this summer. Don't care if Greenwood ends up having 30 goals by the end of the season playing on the right wing. It's not about Greenwood. It's the chance to get one of the best young players in the world, who happens to be English, and can elevate us to title contention. Both Greenwood and Sancho are versatile enough to coexist in the same lineup easily, and I don't believe that Sancho would block Greenwood's progress. With Rashford, Greenwood, and Sancho, we have the chance to have England's first choice front 3 for years to come, and it can be a world class caliber attack. 108 million pounds is definitely steep in this climate, but if that is what it takes, then we have to pay. I hope that Sancho forces a move from his end, and that can help us a lot in negotiations with Dortmund.
This is my point, I want us to be able to field a fearsome front 3 every single game, not having to accept mediocrity due to someone needing a rest.

Usually it's not a position you can get yourself in, due to playing time demands and wanting to be the main man, but that's the luxury of bringing through your own talents. They are more willing to be eased in and can be taken out of the starting line up for their own development and not burning them out.

Greenwood with 30 starts next year would be massive progress. And more than that is easily achievable still even with Sancho here.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we can offload Alexis, Andreas, Lingard, Jones and Smalling - we can afford to sign both Grealish and Sancho. The total net spend will probably be around £100 m - but the total wages will actually go down by quite a bit.
In a very uncertain market I think it's very unlikely we will find it easy finding buyers for all these players. Alexia in particular will be very tough as clubs know we will be more than happy to basically loan him out again and probably pay a chunk of his wages.

I think Grealish n Sancho in this market is absolutely pie in the sky. We are in a situation where the reigning CL n PL holders ( shudder) are making noises of having no money and we think we will be slapping 150 to 180m down (before sales) I just can't see it. If we sign Grealish we won't sign Sancho and vice Versa. I just don't think there's the money there this summer for both If we are being realistic.

croadyman

I don't think this will go through. No way we are spending at least 100m for a player.
I expect it to be something in the region of £80-85m plus addons which would take it to around £105m

Status
Not open for further replies.