Jadon Sancho| Staying at Dortmund for now

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
He does sound bitter especially when Bruno is performing amazingly

This is going to be hard for Sporting to make another club pay more now if these comments are true.
Sporting's president also allowed ultras to storm the training facility and beat the players up after they lost against a rival in the league. I wouldn't care too much what he thinks.

DoomSlayer

In a very uncertain market I think it's very unlikely we will find it easy finding buyers for all these players. Alexia in particular will be very tough as clubs know we will be more than happy to basically loan him out again and probably pay a chunk of his wages.

I think Grealish n Sancho in this market is absolutely pie in the sky. We are in a situation where the reigning CL n PL holders ( shudder) are making noises of having no money and we think we will be slapping 150 to 180m down (before sales) I just can't see it. If we sign Grealish we won't sign Sancho and vice Versa. I just don't think there's the money there this summer for both If we are being realistic.
People just want their shiny new toy. Reality and facing the truth is clearly not welcome here.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Sancho is a player we need to sign.
Between him, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood, they'll all get minutes. Greenwood does cause a selection headache, as all four of them should be starters, whereas the likes of James, Ighalo etc would be more content with time on the bench.

That being said, there would be plenty of minutes for all four of them in this side.

As for Grealish, the need isn't as great as Sancho, but he is a very good player that gives us even more ridiculous depth. Whether it's covering Bruno or Rashford, he'd again, get plenty of minutes.

crossy1686

career ending
In a very uncertain market I think it's very unlikely we will find it easy finding buyers for all these players. Alexia in particular will be very tough as clubs know we will be more than happy to basically loan him out again and probably pay a chunk of his wages.

I think Grealish n Sancho in this market is absolutely pie in the sky. We are in a situation where the reigning CL n PL holders ( shudder) are making noises of having no money and we think we will be slapping 150 to 180m down (before sales) I just can't see it. If we sign Grealish we won't sign Sancho and vice Versa. I just don't think there's the money there this summer for both If we are being realistic.
Where have you been lad?

Inter have already enquired about keeping Sanchez and Roma about Smalling, Romano and Di Marzio have confirmed that much, they want permanent or a loan at the very least.

Everyone, including Liverpool, are heavily reliant on match day revenue and TV rights. The bulk of United's money comes from commercial revenue, meaning we're still affected, but we're alright as it happens.

The Athletic have reported heavily that United have a war chest of £140m currently set aside for transfers. £80m of that is cash and the rest is a credit line United are able to tap if needed. It's also worth noting that transfers are not payable upfront. The reason these deals take so long to negotiate is due to the payment structure both clubs decide on. The reason the Sancho one is going to rumble on is because Dortmund normally want a lot of the fee upfront, something they're not going to get in this market.

We may well spend £200m* this summer on Grealish and Sancho, but only £75m of that may leave our bank account this summer and the rest paid off in yearly instalments.

croadyman

People just want their shiny new toy. Reality and facing the truth is clearly not welcome here.
I genuinely believe we can get him & Grealish despite the current situation because can see both deals involving some form of yearly instalments which is manageable. I know that probably sounds like deluded optimism but honestly feel we can get both done. We may even get a cheap CB too if we can raise enough money from selling some players although doubt Jones will be one of them.

crossy1686

career ending
I genuinely believe we can get him & Grealish despite the current situation because can see both deals involving some form of yearly instalments which is manageable. I know that probably sounds like deluded optimism but honestly feel we can get both done
That's how all transfers are conducted anyway.

SinNombre

Agree with the comment earlier that he will be eventually be sold for £80-85m rising to 100m.

It will be one of those scenarios where we can say we paid slightly more than Maguire and less than Pogba, and they can claim they got what they wanted .

And fans can and will argue about his transfer price for the next decade.

At that price level and with United's revenues, the only questions to ask are if he is or will develop in the next 2-3 years to a level of a CL winning starter (so at least Rooney and Tevez circa 2008) and can he combine well with Greenwood, Martial and Rasford.

If the answers to those are yes, it should be a no-brainer.

If he was putting these numbers up for a Leverkusen or a Schalke, I would have said he was a no-brainer. Dortmund is the main reason to be a bit hesitant.

croadyman

That's how all transfers are conducted anyway.
Yeah aren't arsenal paying something like £15m per year for Nicolas Pepe over 5 years, daft as it sounds if Utd genuinely thought Koulibaly was open to joining us then think they would offer some kind of deal like that for him but gut feeling is City bound.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Sancho would clearly be a great coup. In a way, I can't help thinking it would be a bit of a shame having Greenwood as a rotation option rather than just letting him play, but we definitely have to have better additional options than Mata, James and Lingard. Sancho, Martial and Rashford with Greenwood biting at their heels would be genuinely exciting and there would be a lot of goals. I would look to move Lingard and Mata on and get another strike option too (Edouard or David maybe?), though it could maybe wait a bit since we have the Ighalo loan. James needs to be a bit part player. Not sure he is good enough tbh.

Grealish I like but I am not sure we need him. Would he be in our first team? I mean the team is finally looking set now, and the weaknesses seem to me to be mostly further back... in particular we need better attacking quality from our full backs. AWB can develop this I think/hope, but can Shaw? And are Maguire and Lindelof really good enough for the very top level? Not sure.

SirScholes

When you have a chance to go for a super talent, you go for the super talent. You worry about filling out the rest in time as those kind of players are much more easily attainable by virtue of them not being quite as big of talents.

Secondly, you would rather your rivals get those "multiple options" you guys have listed rather than get a super talent like Sancho who could be a thorn in United's side for 10 years or so.

We have internal options for other positions worth assessing over for at least another season. For midfield we have Mejbri, Garner, and Levitt. For RB/LB we have Laird, and Williams. For CB we have Tuanzebe and Mengi.

No, that's not to say they will make it. I'm not delusional. The point is to say it is possible for them to make a mark and be a squad option if given the chance. It's a game of numbers and the more talents you have, the more likely one talent makes it. For example, if Garner goes out on loan and does really well, that's 1 problem solved. Same with Mengi.

If Mejbri is a super talent and takes really well to first team football, that's one squad option filled. Don't count on it, but it is a possibility. On the other hand, a player like Chong is someone I would not take that gamble on.

Point is, it's worth waiting a year to assess our situations for those positions if it means we're able to acquire a super talent like Sancho. Those kinds of players don't come around often. Much less, an English prodigy right after their age 19 season and just about to go into their age 20 season. It's not like we're talking about a Zaha type talent.
that bit all day!
We could sign depth players, but we wouldn’t close the gap enough for me

or bring in sancho and one other, we’d be up there and if we avoid injuries challenge, we’d certainly finish top 4.

Then following season fill in any gaps in squad depth and replace matic at this point.

opportunities to sign these players don’t come round often

croadyman

that bit all day!
We could sign depth players, but we wouldn’t close the gap enough for me

or bring in sancho and one other, we’d be up there and if we avoid injuries challenge, we’d certainly finish top 4.

Then following season fill in any gaps in squad depth and replace matic at this point.

opportunities to sign these players don’t come round often
Couldn't have put it any better myself, what is your gut feeling on the priority position that is second on the list behind RW

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Where have you been lad?

Inter have already enquired about keeping Sanchez and Roma about Smalling, Romano and Di Marzio have confirmed that much, they want permanent or a loan at the very least.

Everyone, including Liverpool, are heavily reliant on match day revenue and TV rights. The bulk of United's money comes from commercial revenue, meaning we're still affected, but we're alright as it happens.

The Athletic have reported heavily that United have a war chest of £140m currently set aside for transfers. £80m of that is cash and the rest is a credit line United are able to tap if needed. It's also worth noting that transfers are not payable upfront. The reason these deals take so long to negotiate is due to the payment structure both clubs decide on. The reason the Sancho one is going to rumble on is because Dortmund normally want a lot of the fee upfront, something they're not going to get in this market.

We may well spend £200m* this summer on Grealish and Sancho, but only £75m of that may leave our bank account this summer and the rest paid off in yearly instalments.
Been here before. We spent 70m net last summer when there wasn't a pandemic. We then signed Bruno in January because Pogba n Mctomminay were out long term injured. Still think we'd have waited on Bruno until this summer had they both been fit and ready. Thank god they weren't right as he's been amazing.

We are going to be out of pocket by roughly 100m from this pandemic. Our fans aren't in the real world. We won't be going crazy this summer. Nobody will.

RedDevilRoshi

Been here before. We spent 70m net last summer when there wasn't a pandemic. We then signed Bruno in January because Pogba n Mctomminay were out long term injured. Still think we'd have waited on Bruno until this summer had they both been fit and ready. Thank god they weren't right as he's been amazing.

We are going to be out of pocket by roughly 100m from this pandemic. Our fans aren't in the real world. We won't be going crazy this summer. Nobody will.
Can’t say that about Chelsea. Already got Werner signed up and look as if they are going in for both Havertz & Chilwell.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
'They want clarity by the beginning of August' which is a telling line IMO. Watzke is a stubborn so and so and history tells us he will stick to his guns. We will have to pay up if we want him for the 2020/21 season.

Watzke has 100% ruled out that Hummels, Gündogan and Mkhitaryan will leave the club in the same transfer window.

Watze has said no more buy-out clauses after Götze's move to Bayern Munich and now it's pretty likely that Haaland has a buy-out clause.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Don’t get the obsession with that Peaky Blinder on here. Haven’t opened his thread for months personally, and I am not that convinced anything is in it. I think we could probably get Brooks for £20m and enjoy the same benefits. He’s a leftie too and a better right wing cover, in addition to attacking midfield cover for Bruno.

jamesjimmybyrondean

97m up front with add ons rising to 136m almost 40m in add ons(pounds)
Interesting. I always wondered why Dortmund would sell Sancho for less than Dembele but that might not be the case. Don't they want a 100m base fee which is more than Dembele's 96m

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Watzke has 100% ruled out that Hummels, Gündogan and Mkhitaryan will leave the club in the same transfer window.

Watze has said no more buy-out clauses after Götze's move to Bayern Munich and now it's pretty likely that Haaland has a buy-out clause.
Mkhi tbf wouldn't have left until Raiola started throwing chairs around which likely spooked Watzke..

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
'They want clarity by the beginning of August' which is a telling line IMO. Watzke is a stubborn so and so and history tells us he will stick to his guns. We will have to pay up if we want him for the 2020/21 season.
That’s just the whole point of negotiation. But this summer isn’t like any other summer. Every football team has taken a hit in the millions in terms of revenue. They are well off but not one of the richest clubs in the world. If they aren’t willing to accept a lower price than they are asking for this summer they will have to accept an even lower fee next year due to him having only 12 months left on his contract. Can they afford to take that hit in this climate?

roseguy64

People are suggesting Grealish on the idea that his price will drop due to relegation and the pandemic.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Where have you been lad?

I’m not sure if this amount is correct?

Wouldn’t some of these funds be used to offset our other expenses that would’ve been covered by all the revenue we have missed out on due to the pandemic?

I.e: wages, pending payments for our recent player acquisitions, as well as other miscellaneous expenses?

What I simply mean to ask is, do we have more funds available to us besides this transfer war chest to cater to other expenses?

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
Well to be frank, I think everyone realizes that we have an opportunity to sign a generational talent.

But some of us have eventually started facing the truth, myself included.

I’m now of the opinion that if all our (potential) funds will go towards Sancho not leaving us any room to sign others, then I’m not sure it’s a risk worth taking. We’ve had bad luck with injuries last couple years and we’re again 2/3 injuries away to first team players, from being in a tough spot again next year.

Had we not signed Bruno, and this pandemic hadn’t happened, where we would be having to finish the remaining season without Rashford/Pogba, who knows if we’d even be in a better position than Spurs/Sheffield, let alone Wolves/Arsenal. But yes we did sign him and yes we did get a blessing in disguise in the form of a delay.

However, does signing Sancho ensure we are ready to fight for the 1st spot right away, like liverpool were when they signed Van Dijk/Alisson? Im not so sure about that. I think we’re still at least a couple seasons away unless we are wise enough to increase depth in our squad first and try to go for Sancho next year whereby we utilize available funds & time wisely. I think we need to continue making smart acquisitions for now and go for a marquee signing when we’re literally just that missing step away from challenging for the title.

Had Greenwood not come up as fast as he has, I would argue more in favour of taking a risk right away since we’re literally getting a free run at Sancho this summer while also filling a huge spot in the starting 11. But now I think we should take advantage of how our situation has evolved recently.

Last edited:

Rolaholic

Yea I'm still in the camp that adding this sort of quality will only pay dividends for us in the long run. Can't imagine how much better MMA would look playing alongside another creator and scoring threat like him on top of Brogba.

Lesser players have gone for much more than 100m euro's, could do much worse with that sort of money than an English superstar in the making

SirScholes

Couldn't have put it any better myself, what is your gut feeling on the priority position that is second on the list behind RW
Probably is a bit more quality at centre back, I do worry when teams attack i always feel there is a mistake about to happen.

with big money on sancho I don’t think we’d have enough left to go after a top draw player in the middle of the park or up top

I mean I haven’t been tracking smalling maybe he is an alternative

SirScholes

Yea I'm still in the camp that adding this sort of quality will only pay dividends for us in the long run. Can't imagine how much better MMA would look playing alongside another creator and scoring threat like him on top of Brogba.

Lesser players have gone for much more than 100m euro's, could do much worse with that sort of money than an English superstar in the making
That’s one of the worst videos I’ve ever seen haha for the crossing they just deleted players which then reappear when he crosses
Its rare for attackers to outnumber defenders in the box
He also doesn’t run 40m at full speed he is clearly jogging

But I do agree with the sentiment, he is a no brainier signing

for anyone thinking it would hinder greenwood they need to realise they are both young and will benefit sharing the limelight like Ronnie and Rooney did.

sancho playing wide right would also free up greenwood to provide cover for martial as a centre forward

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Rashford....Martial....Greenwood
Back ups
Sanchez...Ighalo...James
and Chong and Mata as options wide

Given the financial impact of CV-19 and woodwards track record on transfers I have a feeling this is going to be how our attacking options look next season and Im ok with that... Id like us to get Sancho but he has 2 years on his contract and we could sign him for free next Xmas so unless the price is right I can see us missing out / waiting for a better deal

Womp

idiot
Luke Gardener of the Express paper (not sure how reliable he is), claims that United are still desperate to sign Sancho regardless of Greenwood's form as Ole thinks Mason is still a few years away from being the finished article. Also says that he expects Woodward to back his pursuit of Sancho.

Edit: Apologies, looks like the article was repeated from an article by James Robson of the Evening Standard paper. (Also not sure how reliable he is) :lol:

RkkMan

T

The net spend thing is a myth. Conte himself confirmed Lukaku`s fee is being paid in 5yr instalments in reality Inter have paid us 30m at most by now whereas deals for Lukaku/James/AWB were paid up front. Theoretically our net spend is much higher than 70m so it counters your myth we have no money to spend.

RkkMan

I’m not sure if this amount is correct?

Wouldn’t some of these funds be used to offset our other expenses that would’ve been covered by all the revenue we have missed out on due to the pandemic?

I.e: wages, pending payments for our recent player acquisitions, as well as other miscellaneous expenses?

What I simply mean to ask is, do we have more funds available to us besides this transfer war chest to cater to other expenses?
From what I read somewhere payment of wages and miscallaneous expenses are paid off by revenue. Think our cash reserves would be seriously pinched with as a last resort of the things you`ve mentioned if we miss out on CL football because of the 30% cut we will get from Adidas but if we get top 4 and possibly a trophy I`m sure any expenses will be covered for more easily whilst still being able to spend. Last summer a big chunk of money from reserves which was 300m was used for transfers it was confirmed in our last quarter.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Rashford....Martial....Greenwood
Back ups
Sanchez...Ighalo...James
and Chong and Mata as options wide

Given the financial impact of CV-19 and woodwards track record on transfers I have a feeling this is going to be how our attacking options look next season and Im ok with that... Id like us to get Sancho but he has 2 years on his contract and we could sign him for free next Xmas so unless the price is right I can see us missing out / waiting for a better deal
I hope this is I want to see

Rashford. Martial. Sancho
James. Ighalo. Greenwood

Bruno
Grealish

With some degree of flexibility in who fills in where of course.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

And you've been shown to be wrong before on the matter. You're looking at it far too simplistically. You're not factoring in amortization, you're not factoring in the up front fee we paid for Maguire. We couldn't have bought Bruno in January if the money wasn't available. The owners will weigh up the pros and cons and decide whether it's worth investing heavily in this window. We have, without a shadow of doubt, access to the funds to spend well over 100m on players if we decide to.

Yeah. Because Chelsea haven't already spent 70m in the market and, by all accounts, are looking to add more...

MDFC Manager

And you've been shown to be wrong before on the matter. You're looking at it far too simplistically. You're not factoring in amortization, you're not factoring in the up front fee we paid for Maguire. We couldn't have bought Bruno in January if the money wasn't available. The owners will weigh up the pros and cons. We have, without a shadow of doubt, access to the funds to spend well over 100m on players if we decide to.

Yeah. Because Chelsea haven't already spent 70m in the market and, by all accounts, are looking to add more...
To add to this, if the board believed that this is the right time to spend heavily and take the team to the next level, they'll probably take further loans to make funds available.

Also, aren't loans getting cheaper in this climate too?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole isn't stupid. He knows that you need competition in a squad to raise the level. He was in a squad with 4 shit hot strikers which made the cream rise to the top.

Adding Sancho can only be a good thing. Rashford/Martial/Greenwood CANNOT play 60 games a season without getting tired, sick or injured. It's not just not possible.

We will need to rotate at times, players lose form etc. If we really want to compete next year then adding Sancho (or 1 other wide man/forward) is a no brainer.

While I get that people are excited about Greenwood, he will still play plenty of games. If anything it might end up being Rashford who misses out anyway?.

croadyman

Probably is a bit more quality at centre back, I do worry when teams attack i always feel there is a mistake about to happen.

with big money on sancho I don’t think we’d have enough left to go after a top draw player in the middle of the park or up top

I mean I haven’t been tracking smalling maybe he is an alternative
How much do you reckon we could get Ake for if Bournemouth go down which is looking likely.

My gut feeling is we will only prioritise a CB if a Konate/Koulibaly/Upamecano is available

shaky

I think we'll gladly pay £100m for Sancho. With our team starting to look very strong, it's the ideal time and climate to use our financial muscle to push on to challenge City and Liverpool next season. Ed will be salivating at the prospect, considering how ridiculous the notion of a title push looked not so long ago.

Zed 101

Not only for rotation but you still look at our bench, Midfield options are OK, Defence could do with 1 more with Tuanzebe too, but attack wise, Ogalo may not be here (hope he can stay) after that love the guy but our best attacking sub is Mata, followed by James and Lingard simply no impact from the bench if we need to try something different when games are not going our way

If we sign Sancho we will not get a striker, would welcome Grealish on the cheap too add in a defender and we should be odd on for top 2-3 think 1st depends on pool and city rather than us

Nickelodeon

I'm not sure I would want us to pay 100 million for any player right now. Maybe Mbappe or Van Dijk (who are both unattainable) but no one else.

I'm sure there must be at least one other high quality RW somewhere in the world.

RUCK4444

I'm not sure I would want us to pay 100 million for any player right now. Maybe Mbappe or Van Dijk (who are both unattainable) but no one else.

I'm sure there must be at least one other high quality RW somewhere in the world.
Why? We’ve taken a loan to balance the ship if needed, nobody is better equipped to spend that sort of money in this period and our rivals like Chelsea are spending a lot.

We can not afford to stand still. We could get 10 years service from this kid and his numbers are off the charts.

croadyman

Why? We’ve taken a loan to balance the ship if needed, nobody is better equipped to spend that sort of money in this period and our rivals like Chelsea are spending a lot.

We can not afford to stand still. We could get 10 years service from this kid and his numbers are off the charts.
Yeah if he was late 20s for that sort of money then I could understand the concern,however he is only just in his 20s and has loads of years to go

romufc

I don't think we will pay £100m, if a deal will be done it will be around £80m plus add ons.

The problem is there isn't another high quality RW available that will be that much cheaper. Sancho is probably x2 or x 4 the player some of other RW's are but the price for a decent RW starts at £60m.

Status
Not open for further replies.