James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC89

I'd love to see him get a fair amount of minutes next to Herrera. I feel like Herrera will be incredibly protective of him, just a hunch.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Wouldn't surprise me to see him get 25 against Southampton, depending on how we're doing. The coaching staff are in love with him, no surprise though, they've all been to see him in person for the reserves.

Aloysius's Back 3

Garner has apparently played at CB before? Is that true?

What's the chances of him playing the hybrid CDM/CB type role in the defensive line?

AltiUn

Garner has apparently played at CB before? Is that true?

What's the chances of him playing the hybrid CDM/CB type role in the defensive line?
He played CB when he was younger I believe, he's played there a few times this season and has been very good there. I think his long term future will be in midfield though, young CMs with his ability to control a game are pretty rare.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Instead of saying he needs to bulk up, I'll say he needs to eat more. Has he been on a hunger strike?

Suv666

Decent debut and beautiful reaction from the bench

Skills

Snitch

There's such a good feeling around the club now. It's incredible.

No matter who we go for as the next permanent manager, we must retain Ole, Carrick, McKenna and Phelan as a part of the club going forward.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

:devil: I like it. I was very glad Young scored not only for killing the game but to give us the breathing space to bring a lad on. I'm excited for Garner and happy the coaches made a bit of fuss of him as he made his bow. Also his hair's fine, it reminded me of Gary Nev at a similar age.

Toad

Sublime transition from off-field to on-field. Looks a bit like Messi so don;t expect anything less than world-class form him as of now.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Been clear for a while that he’s seen as very special by the staff at the club. He went on tour last year having just turned 17, and got a start out there which all of them didn’t. He’s also featured with more squads than any other kid this season. Coupled with the fact that he’s one of the youngest of our hopefuls, that really says a lot.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned
I like to think that the reason Carrick got a grin out of him as he shook hands was because he told him "make me proud, you're the new me".

Even the Russian feed I was watching was clearly in on the message, the commentator clearly said something relating him to Carrick just after he came on.

Chairman Steve

Usually it’s us fans who get giddy about youth players and make those ‘new version of a great player’ comparisons, yet OGS has publicly said in an interview that he’s the new Carrick. That’s some pretty high praise for a 17 year old. I look forward to seeing him play more in the future.

Neptyk

Does he have a chance to play some time against PSG?

LingiBW

I hope 4 years from now he'll be controlling our midfield with United back to being a proper powerhouse in Europe.

Alemar

Does he have a chance to play some time against PSG?
We have very few options on the bench, especially if Martial is not ready. Garner is one of those, so “some game time” he might get. But it is more likely for Gomes, Chong or Greenwood to get time as we won’t have anyone else on the bench from our attacking contingent

the chameleon

I’m intrigued to see how he develops. I’ve had high hopes for many exciting kids in his position not make it here. The likes of Rothwell, Pearson, Harrop, Petrucci and Matty James. All great talents in their age groups.

None of them made it due to injuries, bad coaches, Louis Van Gaal, not crossing the chasm between youth level to first team.

I’m glad Ole’s here with his back room staff. There’s always a lot of talent. Some guys get up and own their progress like pogba. Others need to be taken care of when they cross that chasm of doom from youth football to first team.

If ole can nurture some of these lads properly, we will save £100s million.

Exciting times!

Tony247

This guy has something in him. Looks matured beyond his age. His movements were good, his anticipation of opponents were good too. He will be regular in a year or two.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
htts://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1106594041733566472

Got new deal

Last edited by a moderator:

deafepl

Assume we get two quality midfielder from rumour, I think Matic will make a way for Garner next season and be gone by the end of next season.

MalcolmTucker

Seen his name mentioned a lot on here but this is the first time I've actually seen him kick a ball other than the Palace cameo. Looks good, impressed with how he passes between the lines but you can never truly judge a midfielder from compilations, especially at youth level.

macheda14

What kind of a midfielder is he? Deep lying playmaker, box to box or attacking midfielder?
Ole said this about him ‘We've got great faith in him as the next Michael Carrick. I know he's young, I know it's not fair on kids to compare to great players like Michael was, but he's in the same mold.'

AltiUn

He's more aggressive than Carrick was, certainly not afraid to put his foot in, gives as good as he gets which means he gets booked a fair amount. He's a great passer, he's also good at playing while under pressure. I'd say his biggest asset is being able to dictate the tempo of a game though, you don't see many of his age being able to do it so effectively.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Do people think he's ready, physically, for the first team next season?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Do people think he's ready, physically, for the first team next season?
Not sure but he might be able to play a part depending on the team constellation. People wanted us to buy Julian Weigl and while he wasn't ready he played a part in a decent Dortmund team. PL is a different league but I think he can be involved. We certainly have space in midfield for him so he'll likely get chances anyways so we'll see.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Not sure but he might be able to play a part depending on the team constellation. People wanted us to buy Julian Weigl and while he wasn't ready he played a part in a decent Dortmund team. PL is a different league but I think he can be involved. We certainly have space in midfield for him so he'll likely get chances anyways so we'll see.
Cheers for the info. I'm just thinking in light of the hypothetical scenario Pogba and Ander won't be here next season, we're probably going to have to sign at least two new players in midfield. Not sure if Pereira can hack playing in midfield so that would be Matic, McTominay and Fred. Very thin.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’m all for playing the kids but surely still much too early to playing CM for us? One of the toughest gigs in football even aside from the way things have been going. A good loan would be the next logical step. Greenwood and Chong look like players who might be effective in a cameo but CM and CB are the heartbeat of the team.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Cheers for the info. I'm just thinking in light of the hypothetical scenario Pogba and Ander won't be here next season, we're probably going to have to sign at least two new players in midfield. Not sure if Pereira can hack playing in midfield so that would be Matic, McTominay and Fred. Very thin.
I agree, it is very thin. He probably has to step up even if it is too early, but he is talented so it might be a good thing also you never know. Honestly I'd be exited if that were the case, but fans probably wont be patient with him if he plays a lot.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I agree, it is very thin. He probably has to step up even if it is too early, but he is talented so it might be a good thing also you never know. Honestly I'd be exited if that were the case, but fans probably wont be patient with him if he plays a lot.
I'm the same. We're not getting close to the title next season anyway so the most enjoyable thing would be to see the most promising youth players being integrated into the team. But those young players will need us to first acquire some role models in the dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.