James Garner England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm the same. We're not getting close to the title next season anyway so the most enjoyable thing would be to see the most promising youth players being integrated into the team. But those young players will need us to first acquire some role models in the dressing room.
Exactly. They absolutely do need some better role models, that's for sure!

kundalini

Do people think he's ready, physically, for the first team next season?
Solskjaer said in his post-match press conference after Huddersfield game, talking about Europa League, "the kids will get chances, definitely, to play games, that's for sure". Then went on to say they would try to find something positive about the Europa League situation, which might be giving game time to Greenwood, Chong, Garner (the 3 names he mentioned).

So in answer to your question, I think we will see Garner and the other 3 chosen youngsters (Greenwood, Gomes, Chong) feature in Europa League and domestic Cup competitions, then if they perform well, or if we have an injury crisis, they might feature in the PL.

I think Garner could manage a few starts in the PL, if the matches are chosen carefully but there are some away games and some opponents that would be difficult for him at this stage, due to the physical battle in midfield. If you remember when Rashford first broke into the team under LVG, he had some brilliant games and some in which you'd barely notice him, as it was a teenage boy against men.

United have also briefed the media that they do not intend to buy players that would block the development path of their most talented youngsters; that could be viewed in several different ways. If Garner is currently 7th choice for midfield behind Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fred, McTominay and Pereira, I would expect him to be either 7th or 6th at the start of next season, once all the departures and arrivals have taken place.

If you look at his first team involvement this season. He was on the bench for the CL matches at Valencia and PSG, also the FA Cup game against Reading and came on as a late sub against Palace when we were 3-1 up. In contrast, Solskjaer has been far more willing to risk Chong and Greenwood.

Last edited:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Solskjaer said in his post-match press conference after Huddersfield game, talking about Europa League, "the kids will get chances, definitely, to play games, that's for sure". Then went on to say they would try to find something positive about the Europa League situation, which might be giving game time to Greenwood, Chong, Garner (the 3 names he mentioned).

So in answer to your question, I think we will see Garner and the other 3 chosen youngsters (Greenwood, Gomes, Chong) feature in Europa League and domestic Cup competitions, then if they perform well, or if we have an injury crisis, they might feature in the PL.

I think Garner could manage a few starts in the PL, if the matches are chosen carefully but there are some away games and some opponents that would be difficult for him at this stage, due to the physical battle in midfield. If you remember when Rashford first broke into the team under LVG, he had some brilliant games and some in which you'd barely notice him, as it was a teenage boy against men.

United have also briefed the media that they do not intend to buy players that would block the development path of their most talented youngsters; that could be viewed in several different ways. If Garner is currently 7th choice for midfield behind Matic, Herrera, Pogba, Fred, McTominay and Pereira, I would expect him to be either 7th or 6th at the start of next season, once all the departures and arrivals have taken place.

If you look at his first team involvement this season. He was on the bench for the CL matches at Valencia and PSG, also the FA Cup game against Reading and came on as a late sub against Palace when we were 3-1 up. In contrast, Solskjaer has been far more willing to risk Chong and Greenwood.
Yes, that sounds very promising, with regards to the youngsters and Europa League.

With regards to not blocking their path, if Herrera and Pogba both leave, we don't have one obvious first XI midfielder. We can't not address that seriously. Matic, McTominay, Fred, they are squad players. Pereira is not a central midfielder. So we'd need to get actual first XI quality in there.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think he’s too young to be in first team holding midfielder. It’s not an easy role to take & a very important role in football team. He was very nervous against Palace but I have watched his YouTube compilation and the boy seems to be gifted with his passing ability. Something I have never seen from our own academy players since Scholes.

Wilfred Brown

I feel that he is also a down to earth young player like McTominay too, that's a good attribute.

Some guys in our team are over obsessed with social media, branding, fashion, etc.

Loublaze

ATLien
I think he’s too young to be in first team holding midfielder. It’s not an easy role to take & a very important role in football team. He was very nervous against Palace but I have watched his YouTube compilation and the boy seems to be gifted with his passing ability. Something I have never seen from our own academy players since Scholes.
I think he's more naturally gifted and composed than McTominay but he'll get a bit of a chance hopefully in the league cup next season if he doesn't go on loan

In Rainbows

I've never liked the idea of certain players being too young to do a role. For example, McTominay was thrust into the midfield and he doesn't have half the ability of Garner. Garner beats him in touch, passing, defensive know how, etc.... It's the same with Gomes minus the workrate and defensive ability.

The kids just need to be trusted and people need to be lenient for their first minutes under huge crowds.

Loublaze

ATLien
I've never liked the idea of certain players being too young to do a role. For example, McTominay was thrust into the midfield and he doesn't have half the ability of Garner. Garner beats him in touch, passing, defensive know how, etc.... It's the same with Gomes minus the workrate and defensive ability.

The kids just need to be trusted and people need to be lenient for their first minutes under huge crowds.
This

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

I agree a little bit. And if you are good enough, you are old enough. However, Garner’s case is different.

McT plays more in a box to box. And he was not a teenager anymore. Garner is still 18 and a holding role is very critical role with more responsibility. It’s a very underrated role that some people has underestimated it I think.

If we e are going to give him chance I think we need a very good destroyer like Kante or may be Ndidi next to him so he can be less responsibility.

POF

I really like Garner. He's a very talented kid. He's good on the ball but his main strength is without the ball. He reads the game really well for such a young player and is very good defensively.

My worry with him being nominated as the next Carrick is what that means for Matic. You would expect Garner would need 2-3 years to really establish himself as first choice in that role - at best. Matic is finished now. Another 2-3 years with Matic as first choice in that role is extremely scary.

I think he'll start vs Cardiff. I hope he does really well.

BiggusCrickus

Hope to see him start. Watching clips of him this season he has that Scholes and Carrick style play which is something we are missing. Someone who sits at the base of the midfield and has the passing range that can hit anyone on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.