James Garner image England flag

James Garner 2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

1. Aug 10, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Garner will be a regular next season. Yes, he is that good, I hope he is bedded in this season and then takes over from Matic next season.
  2. Aug 10, 2019

Classical Mechanic Full Member

Some of his passing is fantastic

3. Aug 10, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I’m just wondering that this, along with his eye for a goal, is the reason why we didn’t pursue Longstaff as vigorously as some felt we should. That and the ridiculous price set by Newcastle
  4. Aug 10, 2019

Drainy Full Member

Honestly he's such a great prospect in midfield, but if you give a player of his quality too much time on the ball.. the above video happens
  5. Aug 10, 2019

amolbhatia50k Sneaky bum time

Don't see the harm in giving him some of the chances Periera would otherwise get.
  6. Aug 10, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Yeah, it's almost hard to assess that performance. West Brom's effort levels were pathetic. They just stood off united for the whole game and let them play.
  7. Aug 10, 2019

fergosaurus Full Member

Looks like the real deal in that video. Good range of passing, shooting, skill and technique. I like his composure at 2:05 to lose his man.
  8. Aug 10, 2019

Inigo Montoya Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Yes,but good players always seem to make time and space. Carrick used to be the same even at an early age
  9. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

Longstaff would cost £50m; for a prospect. Rice is basically just a destroyer (Herrera without an attacking game). We don't play with that kind of player. Many better midfielders are available for about £50m such as: Donny van de Beek, who's is still at Ajax.
  10. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

Garner plays CDM. You'd play him in place of Matic, Fred or McTominay.
  11. Aug 10, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Absolutely. But WB were ridiculously bad. It was weird.

Not trying to take anything away from Garner. He's great
  12. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

His game against League 1 Rotherham on Tuesday was much more competitive. Just as good.

13. Aug 10, 2019

SteveW Full Member

What's that got to do with West Brom last night?
  14. Aug 10, 2019

7even Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron

Gardner was absolutely fantastic against West Brom. His first touch, close control and passing game is already PL standard. But his standout attribute is his thunder shots from his right foot. Similar to a young Steven Gerard. At his age you can’t do it better.

He needs to become more physical and that together with game time must be his most important goals on the near future. It’s hard to tell but he could be ready to step to PL actions next season with a little bit of luck and good development. Great future ahead of him.
  15. Aug 10, 2019

Kearnkoff69 Full Member

Just through my time at college, not professionally. But the point stands - youth injuries, especially in the knees and ankles, haunt you for your whole career.
  16. Aug 10, 2019

sglowrider Against Oral Equality

Yes. Which college?
  17. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

This is the James Garner thread isn't it? Not the match thread.
  18. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

So WB were ridiculously bad eh?
    Q: Does that mean Garner only looks good playing against bad teams?
    A: No. Because Garner also looked good playing against Rotherham who are League 1 standard, men, and professional footballers. Showing that Garner can handle the rough and tumble.

9 United players started both games.
  19. Aug 10, 2019

GledTheRed Full Member

Everything, it's James fecking Garner!
  20. Aug 10, 2019

Mr PG New Member

He looks to be better than Carrick ever was. Carrick passing was exceptional but mobility was a downside. Garner looks to have both.
  21. Aug 10, 2019

andersj Nick Powell Expert

People must be mad when they expect him to be a regular next year. He is 19 next season and plays in a position where the importance of experience can not be overestimated. It is not the same thing as being a striker.

Rodri, one of the most talented players in the world in this position, got 800 min for Villarreal when he was 20 (two years time for Garner) and was a regular at 21. Busquets and Xabi Alonso was similar.

While some player can make an impact early due to being exeptionally early developers, I do not think that is the case for Garner. He is great at U23 due to talent. Not being physically imposing. And for his position, it is even more about brains and experience.

I actually do think Garner could be a talent of similar level to some of the players I mentioned. But that is probably a stretch and an insane statement at this stage. But compared to those who expect him to be a regular next year it aint that bad.
  22. Aug 10, 2019

owlo Full Member

Agree strongly with this post. It's why I called OGS's summer recruitment criminal in another thread. These players have to be managed carefully and eased in as opposed to expected to perform. Unconvinced Garner is physically ready too, though he's the kid I'm most excited about long term. I think he's more Redondo than Xabi/Busquets, though that's a huge tag...
  23. Aug 10, 2019

crossy1686 Full Member

Get the feeling he'll come in and play once Matic starts to tire in a few months. He looks like he could be a really good player for us.
  24. Aug 10, 2019

Eckers99 Michael Corleone says hello

You're comparing a youth player to an England international who won countless trophies. Wise up.
  25. Aug 10, 2019

United58 Full Member

I think we'll see less of him than Gomes and Greenwood this season - like Carrick, he'll peak later on. Intelligent players like him generally hone their skills in their 20s. Really interested to see how he does under the tutelage of Michael Carrick himself. Garner should have a great career in club football - hopefully here.
  26. Aug 10, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah agreed. Itll take a few years for him to really brake into the team at least, it's just how it is for his type of midfielders. Loads of potential and if he keeps it up, he'll get more and more minutes, but wouldnt expect him to be a starter before he's 21 at the earliest really.
  27. Aug 10, 2019

andersj Nick Powell Expert

In the PL, I agree. But I’m not sure he will learn much more in the U23. He already looks like he could be too good for that level. Considering how good and developed he is, I think it would do him good gaining experience from a more competetive level. Maguire played regularly at League One at the same age. If there is a club/manager somewhere with a suitable type of football the club probably should consider that in january.
  28. Aug 10, 2019

Sparky Rhiwabon Full Member

Wow, that escalated quickly
  29. Aug 10, 2019

TwoSheds More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Indeed, especially as Garner is relatively slow.
  30. Aug 10, 2019

Mark Pawelek Full Member

Matic is experienced but sloppy. I'd prefer someone who is never sloppy: whether they have the experience or not. I don't see how having experience stops a CDM making mistakes. I think CDM is about 1) protecting the defense, 2) never giving the ball away, 3) distributing it. Garner does all that well.
  31. Aug 10, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

Garner along with Gomes, Greenwood, and Chong should be playing in the League Cup, EFL cup, and Europa League. That's a minimum of 10 games this season in competitions that don't really matter to us. What matters is their development and building towards something great. Even if they don't become great, it's better to have them as squad players as that allows us to spend more on other players.
  32. Aug 11, 2019

Amarsdd Full Member

From the 4-5 games I've seen him in, he seems to have all the fundamentals down to be a Carrick-like player or Scholes in his later years. For example, and probably the biggest thing for me is that he doesn't have to shift his body every time to pass like Cleverley used to do. It means he can always release the ball much faster than others do. He is also actively and cleverly moving around to find space to get the pass, which is very important for such type of midfielder. Obviously, he seems to have vision in his passing and also grit to go into rough tackles if needed. In terms of press-resistance, he seems good for the U23s but now how it translates to the PL depends on how he adapts to PL's physicality and pace. That, we can only clearly tell when we see him there.
  33. Aug 11, 2019

simonhch Horrible boss

Supports:
    Urban Combat Preparedness
    :lol: Christ on a bike. What is this nonsense? Better than Carrick ever was? I don’t know whether to even take this comment seriously. And it just goes to show how short some people’s memories are when they talk about Carrick having no mobility. Maybe when he was in his mid 30s. But when he signed for us in his mid twenties he was extremely mobile. Mobile enough to play in a midfield two with a Scholes. He absolutely transformed our midfield when he signed. Carrick is one of the most underrated players of the last twenty years and was fundamental to the most successful era in our history. Absolutely brilliant footballer.

What always makes me laugh is when people say he wasn’t press resistant either. More nonsense. Again, younger fans or those with no long term memory, remember the Carrick from his later years. But peak Carrick was highly press resistant, often moving the ball quickly with one touch passing. I remember being in Spain watching a CL match, and the Spanish commentators talking about how ice cool he was under pressure (press) and how well he moved the ball. Never giving it away.
  34. Aug 11, 2019

tenpoless Full Member

Wouldnt surprise me if He used to be in a emo band, playing as a drummer.
  35. Aug 11, 2019

ATXRedDevil Full Member

Wow. Great highlights
  36. Aug 11, 2019

sammsky1 Pochettino's #1 fan

I think he’s better than Xavi and Iniesta combined
  37. Aug 11, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

There was one interview with Garner, Gomes, (I think it was during ManUtd player awards), he talked about how he wants to add goals to his game. Looks like he has already improved on that.

Might be completely wrong here, I remember it watching during MUTV awards.
  38. Aug 11, 2019

MadDogg Full Member

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
    Is he? I've only seen him during the very brief appearances he's had in the first team, but one thing I took from them is that he seemed faster than I expected.
  39. Aug 11, 2019

jeepers New Member

Reckon if he can prove himself in whatever senior game time this season, we will pass on Longstaff and use him as Matic’s eventual successor. Longstaff’s price is ridiculous.
  40. Aug 11, 2019

SteveW Full Member

Something I never suggested. All I did was comment on how ridiculously slack West Brom were. As I said in the original post, i wasn't trying to take anything from Garner. I've been full of praise for him