5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggsforever

For me Garner and Greenwood are the two young players that is going to make it at United. Garner really do have something special about him.

I'm not to sure about Gomes or Chong though.

lysglimt

Scout
For me Garner and Greenwood are the two young players that is going to make it at United. Garner really do have something special about him.

I'm not to sure about Gomes or Chong though.
Chong is an interesting one. And I feel with him it's a question of mentality rather than talent. Yesterday, he was at times almost unstoppable in the 45 minutes he played, and was superior to Garner. But the few times he has been given a chance at the first-team, he seems too stressed to make an impact.

You often read here that he isn't good enough - and it's easy to believe that. But when you look at him yesterday and see how he beats players for fun - the talent is there.

Kostov

Chong is an interesting one. And I feel with him it's a question of mentality rather than talent. Yesterday, he was at times almost unstoppable in the 45 minutes he played, and was superior to Garner. But the few times he has been given a chance at the first-team, he seems too stressed to make an impact.

You often read here that he isn't good enough - and it's easy to believe that. But when you look at him yesterday and see how he beats players for fun - the talent is there.
I just hope that Chong is not one of those youngsters that tears it up at youth levels but for some strange reason can't translate his talent to senior level.

Regarding Garner, is there any chance he is involved on Thursday? I want to see the kid play instead of Matic and Fred.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I just hope that Chong is not one of those youngsters that tears it up at youth levels but for some strange reason can't translate his talent to senior level.

Regarding Garner, is there any chance he is involved on Thursday? I want to see the kid play instead of Matic and Fred.
Unfortunately doubt he'd play after playing last night

PragueRed

I was there last night and it was obvious who the ones close to the first team were. Chong definitely impressed - he has a swagger and confidence about him which is nice to see. But as other posters have pointed out, in the first team he can still look very raw. I think a loan would be good for him.

Garner, however, looks a special player to me. He seems to be able to slow the game down and speed it up in a way that we haven't seen since at least Carrick, but he's also able to carry the ball forward and contribute goals. Probably not ready to play week in week out for the first team but he did well against a combative Lincoln midfield last night.

Bestietom

I have high hopes for Garner, but he isn't ready to take over the mantle of playing in the first team yet. When we get in a few Top players is the time to play him, otherwise he would get scourged by some fans if he made a mistake.
Both Garner and Gomes are the future for us. Greenwood is already a first team player and will only get better when these lads are playing next to him in the side. They all came up and played together in teams here, and know each others play. I am looking forward to seeing the time when they play together.

Lemansky

Very interesting. I am one of those that thinks he has been very underwhelming in the first team. Maybe a loan would be good for him? Not every player goes straight into the first team.

romufc

I have high hopes for Garner, but he isn't ready to take over the mantle of playing in the first team yet.
Would still be good to see him get minutes in the first team seing how depleted our Midfield is.

I wouldn't think they would play any away EL games but I would put him in the mix to get 20/30 mins in the home games.

AneRu

I have high hopes for Garner, but he isn't ready to take over the mantle of playing in the first team yet. When we get in a few Top players is the time to play him, otherwise he would get scourged by some fans if he made a mistake.
Both Garner and Gomes are the future for us. Greenwood is already a first team player and will only get better when these lads are playing next to him in the side. They all came up and played together in teams here, and know each others play. I am looking forward to seeing the time when they play together.
Agreed it's a bit too early for him to play first team football but there is no harm in trying him in cameos.

Bestietom

Would still be good to see him get minutes in the first team seing how depleted our Midfield is.

I wouldn't think they would play any away EL games but I would put him in the mix to get 20/30 mins in the home games.
Yes, I would agree with you on this. He needs to get games, but I would play him with an experienced player in a 2 man DM first so as to get more experience. I would hate to see a talent like him getting scolded after making a mistake as he could lose confidence and fall back like many others.
He is a fantastic talent, Passes the ball well, comes out with the ball, wins tackles, and can score from distance. Everything we need now, but with better players around him, imo.

romufc

Yes, I would agree with you on this. He needs to get games, but I would play him with an experienced player in a 2 man DM first so as to get more experience. I would hate to see a talent like him getting scolded after making a mistake as he could lose confidence and fall back like many others.
He is a fantastic talent, Passes the ball well, comes out with the ball, wins tackles, and can score from distance. Everything we need now, but with better players around him, imo.
Tbh we don't have an experienced player apart from Matic really so, I think him and maybe Pogba or Fred could be good but he needs support from full backs because the last thing is him having the ball and not having an option.

We need to see what he can do.

Swiss_Red89

He really impressed me whenever i saw him play so far. From the reserves games, i only saw his match compilations, but i've seen enough to agree that he's a very talented midfielder. He seems to have all the Tools: physique, technique, composure, he can score goals and always seems to know what's going on around him when he receives the ball.

I think we should include him more and give him game time here and there, especially with our midfield options being not that great at the moment.

Bestietom

Tbh we don't have an experienced player apart from Matic really so, I think him and maybe Pogba or Fred could be good but he needs support from full backs because the last thing is him having the ball and not having an option.

We need to see what he can do.
Well I was looking at Fred and Pogba as being experienced players. He can pass it long as well as short but yes, fullbacks should be getting into positions to take the ball when the DM has it coming out.

AneRu

He really impressed me whenever i saw him play so far. From the reserves games, i only saw his match compilations, but i've seen enough to agree that he's a very talented midfielder. He seems to have all the Tools: physique, technique, composure, he can score goals and always seems to know what's going on around him when he receives the ball.

I think we should include him more and give him game time here and there, especially with our midfield options being not that great at the moment.
I think this is what is hurting his chances atm, our three senior midfielders (Pogba, Fred and Matic) have varying issues that make them unreliable to partner with a kid. If we had prime Carrick I think it would be easier to risk him in midfield from the start as he would have someone to hold his hands as he to get settled, our only reliable midfielder in an all round sense is McTominay but even he is still learning.

Devil may care

It would be nice to see him get a chance, he's the only one of the 4 promoted that hasn't gotten any minutes yet this season and only got on a for a few seconds last season. Not sure if tonight is the right game for him but hopefully he gets a chance soon.

Swiss_Red89

I think this is what is hurting his chances atm, our three senior midfielders (Pogba, Fred and Matic) have varying issues that make them unreliable to partner with a kid. If we had prime Carrick I think it would be easier to risk him in midfield from the start as he would have someone to hold his hands as he to get settled, our only reliable midfielder in an all round sense is McTominay but even he is still learning.
True that...But then again i don't think he will do worse than Matic. So just throw him in and give him the chance in the Europa League.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Don't want him anywhere near the first team under the current regime. They'll absolutely destroy him.

Mark Pawelek

Never tire reading the 1001 excuses for not playing Garner and persisting with Matic; despite Matic's never ending mistakes and the gaols Garner scores for U-23s, whilst not really making mistakes.

I bet these excuses are taken from the same crib sheet used about a decade ago when Pogba was 19, in his 3 year with us, being wooed by Juventus but kept out of the United midfield by defenders and wingers.

Mark Pawelek

In other words - we are not going to play Garner because our other midfielders are not good enough, or too inexperienced?

AneRu

Never tire reading the 1001 excuses for not playing Garner and persisting with Matic; despite Matic's never ending mistakes and the gaols Garner scores for U-23s, whilst not really making mistakes.

I bet these excuses are taken from the same crib sheet used about a decade ago when Pogba was 19, in his 3 year with us, being wooed by Juventus but kept out of the United midfield by defenders and wingers.
He is a young player, playing him without seasoned inform players could be disastrous and destroy his confidence. If Matic wasn't done and in form then he'd be the best player to pair him with. Look at how Greenwood, Chong and Gomes are lost playing in a dysfunctional team. The best team we could play him in is in a trio that includes Mctominay and Pogba.

BlahRules

What is the point of playing Garner when he would have to partner Fred the clown or Matic the static who thinks his Pirlo and don’t need to press or cut the line of pass.

AneRu

In other words - we are not going to play Garner because our other midfielders are not good enough, or too inexperienced?
Putting a young player in dysfunctional team that needs leadership could have disastrous consequences because he needs someone by his side to take him through the initial phase. Playing him with struggling players puts extra responsibility and pressure on him, if things go wrong it will be difficult to recover him from that mental blow.

Mark Pawelek

He is a young player, playing him without seasoned inform players could be disastrous and destroy his confidence. If Matic wasn't done and in form then he'd be the best player to pair him with. Look at how Greenwood, Chong and Gomes are lost playing in a dysfunctional team. The best team we could play him in is in a trio that includes Mctominay and Pogba.
Another ad lib excuse taken from the crib-sheet of reasons why we never see teenagers play. With a long list: Jadon Sancho, Ansu Fati, Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo, Bobby Charlton, Kylian Mbappé, of players' careers destroyed being played too soon.

mav_9me

What is the point of playing Garner when he would have to partner Fred the clown or Matic the static who thinks his Pirlo and don’t need to press or cut the line of pass.
I would play him with McT and Pogba. Clearly Matic and Fred are not good enough. I was going Fred would be decentish but he has been as poor.

AneRu

Another ad lib excuse taken from the crib-sheet of reasons why we never see teenagers play. With a long list: Jadon Sancho, Ansu Fati, Wayne Rooney, Christiano Ronaldo, Bobby Charlton, Kylian Mbappé, of players' careers destroyed being played too soon.
How many central midfielders are there on that list? Zero, the only one who comes to mind is Fabregas and even then he broke into an all conquering team that had just gone a who season unbeaten, one that gave him Vieira as a partner.

BlahRules

I would play him with McT and Pogba. Clearly Matic and Fred are not good enough. I was going Fred would be decentish but he has been as poor.
I think he may shine and make our team if we have that line up. Would allow Pogba to roam and McTominay be the box to box player he looking like to be with Garner being the deepest midfielder linking midfield to attack.

Unfortunately OGS is a pussy.

mav_9me

I think he may shine and make our team if we have that line up. Would allow Pogba to roam and McTominay be the box to box player he looking like to be with Garner being the deepest midfielder linking midfield to attack.

Unfortunately OGS is a pussy.
While I agree that he is being cowardly, I understand why. It takes a lot at this level and the default safe option is to play the experienced players.

Unfortunately I think by continuing with these poor performers he is making things worse for himself.

I can only hope that in desperation he turns more to Garner/Gomes/Greenwood.

BlahRules

While I agree that he is being cowardly, I understand why. It takes a lot at this level and the default safe option is to play the experienced players.

Unfortunately I think by continuing with these poor performers he is making things worse for himself.

I can only hope that in desperation he turns more to Garner/Gomes/Greenwood.
This reminds me of Chelsea when it had become clear the senior players are not good enough and it’s time to play with the youth. Sarri was not willing to play the youth and always wanted to go with the senior/experienced players and would play them out of position if it meant the youth gets limited time.

I know OGS has been playing youth but playing them out of position is just asking them to fail and ruin their confidence.

The AZ game was just ridiculous, playing every youth players out of position to accommodate Mata who firstly is passed it and didn’t even play well at.

OGS wants players physically ready but if went for players technical ready then we would be better off.

We are banking on Lingard and Rashford who maybe physically ready but technically they are squad players and we need to switch that mentality if we are to be successful again.

mattsville

He should be involved with the 1st team, we went with letting players leave and not replacing them so youths would get a look in, he is tearing it up at u23, get him involved.

Walters_19_MuFc

He must be watching Fred and Matic thinking he can do a better job. If he's the player that everyone has said he is, then him in a deep-lying role with McToms next to him as the box to box player would be interesting to see.

AFC NimbleThumb

This reminds me of Chelsea when it had become clear the senior players are not good enough and it’s time to play with the youth. Sarri was not willing to play the youth and always wanted to go with the senior/experienced players and would play them out of position if it meant the youth gets limited time.

I know OGS has been playing youth but playing them out of position is just asking them to fail and ruin their confidence.

The AZ game was just ridiculous, playing every youth players out of position to accommodate Mata who firstly is passed it and didn’t even play well at.

OGS wants players physically ready but if went for players technical ready then we would be better off.

We are banking on Lingard and Rashford who maybe physically ready but technically they are squad players and we need to switch that mentality if we are to be successful again.
Been saying this, he’s currently having a detrimental impact on the youth.

He’s bring Greenwood on to save games & playing others out of position.

Walters_19_MuFc

Who's he played out of position?

Gomes can play LM and CAM. Arguably had his best game as a LM for us during pre season

Greenwood can play RM and ST. Again, his best games have arguably been as a RM

Chong can play both LM and RM

Am I missing anyone?

Tuanzebe, maybe. Odd one playing him at left back the other day, but bar his mistake, he was fine.

BlahRules

Gomes can play LM and CAM. Arguably had his best game as a LM for us during pre season

Am I missing anyone?

Tuanzebe, maybe. Odd one playing him at left back the other day, but bar his mistake, he was fine.
Gomes play CAM for the u23 he can play that role does not mean he will shine in that position. Same goes for Greenwood who became the next prodigy playing the striker role and not on the right wing.

When SAF played youth out of position it was for them to enhance their skill set and it wasn’t 3/4 players at one go.

Greenwood has already shown that he plays better as a striker than a right winger. He allows us to play off him and also he has been finish than Rashford but he would not be played in his correct position because he is not experienced enough.

What happened to if you are good enough you are old enough?

BlahRules

Agree mate. That’s why I want an upcoming manager to takeover OGS and not some manager that has already been on the top.

AFC NimbleThumb

Am I missing anyone?

Gomes is best played centrally as is Greenwood, just because they ‘can play’ in positions I personally think it’s hard enough for them to come into a struggling team as is.

The Tuanzabe fiasco doesn’t even bare mentioning.

Champagne Football

Ole said Garner's developing as a box to box midfielder. We already have Pogba and McT for that. We need a DLP more than another box to box player right now, a creative central mid who can make things happen. I hope Ole can rectify that in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.