Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought Garner did alright tonight. I’m gonna sound obnoxious as feck but if you don’t know what you’re looking for you’ll miss it with Garner.

Zoo

I thought he was fine. He was given a big responsibility for a debut sitting in midfield by himself in with Partizan players on him whenever he received it.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I thought Garner did alright tonight. I’m gonna sound obnoxious as feck but if you don’t know what you’re looking for you’ll miss it with Garner.
Is that a way of saying he did well when he actually looked a little bit lost. No major criticism of him, just that understandably, a big ask to be thrown into a midfield two with McTominay and very little help from Mata and Lingard. None of them looked good.

But I'm glad he's started a game now. I'm pretty sure he'll be a very good player for us.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He can pass it, we've all seen that at youth level. Seems very hesitant to try anything at first team level.

To be fair, the movement and team play is so poor it's probably a lot to do with that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not an easy place to make your debut, and he had nobody in midfield to help him out a lot of the time.

I personally thought 2nd half he really grew into it and I was pissed he got subbed instead of mata.

overall I’m really pleased he’s got his debut and can’t wait to see him get another game.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Honestly, I just don't rate him. Even when I've seen him play for our youth teams I haven't been a fan.

I really hope we don't put off buying a few CMs by putting our faith in Garner, McTominay and Pereira.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
I can understand playing within himself a bit tonight. We needed this win tonight and a midfield two with him and McTominay just needed to be solid, a job well done and hopefully we can get him another game on a better surface and friendlier atmosphere than tonight.

He is capable of a lot more but contextually I am happy enough with what I saw.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was impressed me, didn’t expect such a good performance for his professional debut start in holding midfield role. I would like to see him start again.

meamth

Honestly, I just don't rate him. Even when I've seen him play for our youth teams I haven't been a fan.

I really hope we don't put off buying a few CMs by putting our faith in Garner, McTominay and Pereira.
They won't put off any signings. Mctominay is a good player, already a man. That left us with another 3 signings to replace Matic, Mata and Herrera/Fellaini.

Garner is 18 year old CM. He is not a physical beasts like McT, he needs time to grow to play for United. What we are giving him now is a sniff on the first team, and he can be motivated to go on loan next season to further grow himself.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He looks a ok-ish prospect. I do think the caf needs to tone down on over hyping our young players,though.

I know United will continue to promote young players as it's the clubs DNA/philosophy and it has a romanticism attached to it but fundamentally these players need to be good enough.

Standards are dropping all over the place with the club.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Different positions? Playing left back is a lot easier than being part of 'the engine' of the team.
Do you reckon? I used to play full back and it is a bloody difficult position to play. I currently play midfield for a team and I wouldn't go as far to say one is easier than the other in my experience.

NWRed

He played really well after a nervous start, made some good interceptions and challenges, always made himself available for a pass, made mistakes but it was his debut. In a couple of years when he's filled out he'll be a great player for us.

I think he needs regular first team football though, the possible loan moves to Preston or Wigan reported this week would be great for him and his confidence, same goes for Gomes and Chong.

Patience

Fecking hell.

Ha ha.

Jimmy Garner has been outstanding for two full seasons now at Youth Team level.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I really hope Ole is giving him a starting XI game in all our EFL & FA cup and also the rest 3 of our europa league group stage. And then in January, we will assess whether he should go on loan or remain in our squad to be an important part in our midfield.

The debut showed a lot of promising stuff. More playing time will increase his confidence. Already looking more positive than Matic.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This place gets worse.

You've got the crew who over hype our young talent to a point that they will never reach at this age.

Then you have the incredibly negative lot who want to judge him after one first team game.

He's been very good at youth and had an okay first game - he was thrown in at the deep end away to Partizan and he did fine.

Irrational.

:lol: @ people expecting an 18 year old to be a fully competent midfielder in a European away game in a hostile atmosphere on his debut, demanding the ball and spraying it around like a prime Pirlo.

People's expectations on here are sometimes in cloud cuckoo-land.

He did fine considering the circumstances, give him a break FFS. He's the least of our concerns.

Denis79

I haven't followed our youth team religiously, I admit but the handful of games I've seen him play he's always done very well. Yesterday shouldn't be a benchmark of his abilities, Considering he was thrown in a disfunctional team, in tough away game, with little experience at this level, he did excellent.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I haven't followed our youth team religiously, I admit but the handful of games I've seen him play he's always done very well. Yesterday shouldn't be a benchmark of his abilities, Considering he was thrown in a disfunctional team, in tough away game, with little experience at this level, he did excellent.
Just to be clear, I'm not basing my opinion on him off of last night. Even if I rated him as highly as most I would've expected a similar performance because, for a young kid, to make your full debut in a European competition, away in Serbia with a hostile crowd, well, it's to be expected. I'm not criticising his performance last night whatsoever.

I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in our youth teams, and, for me, I just don't see it with him.

Adam-Utd

:lol: @ people expecting an 18 year old to be a fully competent midfielder in a European away game in a hostile atmosphere on his debut, demanding the ball and spraying it around like a prime Pirlo.

People's expectations on here are sometimes in cloud cuckoo-land.

He did fine considering the circumstances, give him a break FFS. He's the least of our concerns.
100%

The forum has gone very weird recently. People expect 17/18 year olds to be the finished article the moment they hit the first team, it's just odd.

Yes we are all unhappy about how the first team is going right now, but slagging off an 18 year old because he wasn't MOTM in his debut away in Belgrade is ridiculous.

He wasn't even that bad either! 2nd half especially was doing nicely once he started to push forward a bit more.

Denis79

Just to be clear, I'm not basing my opinion on him off of last night. Even if I rated him as highly as most I would've expected a similar performance because, for a young kid, to make your full debut in a European competition, away in Serbia with a hostile crowd, well, it's to be expected. I'm not criticising his performance last night whatsoever.

I'm basing my opinion on what I've seen in our youth teams, and, for me, I just don't see it with him.
Fair enough.

Nick7

100%

The forum has gone very weird recently. People expect 17/18 year olds to be the finished article the moment they hit the first team, it's just odd.

Yes we are all unhappy about how the first team is going right now, but slagging off an 18 year old because he wasn't MOTM in his debut away in Belgrade is ridiculous.

He wasn't even that bad either! 2nd half especially was doing nicely once he started to push forward a bit more.
Yeah I don't get it. People expect these kids to come in and completely change how we play football.

Adam-Utd

Take it you don't watch the reserves regularly? the last 2 months or so he's been fantastic. 7 goals in 7 games and he's not even playing as an attacking midfielder, part of a 2 man midfield with Dylan Levitt.

He's scored a whole range of goals with both feet also.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Honestly,even at this early stage Garner should be put out on loan for his own sake and try to find a team,in the Championship or Division 1, who pass the ball forwards.
Being stuck with our backwards and sideways bunch is a bad influence.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Take it you don't watch the reserves regularly? the last 2 months or so he's been fantastic. 7 goals in 7 games and he's not even playing as an attacking midfielder, part of a 2 man midfield with Dylan Levitt.

Not as much recently due to stuff in life, no, but I've seen plenty of him as I do watch them whenever I can and I've never been keen on him despite him doing well for the team, personally.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
100%

People demand every youngster to be Mbappe/Sancho levels and immediately dominate games. They don't have any patience and remember the bad games over the good ones. Every mistake is also pounced on (the entire team not just our youngsters) while anything good is relatively ignored. It's toxic. Yet it's always been this way, I can think of so many young players that came through at the club and got insulted and discarded after a bad game or two.

I'm perhaps guilty myself of hyping our young players up but I always stress that it's potential. We have no idea how these young players will react to the pressure and intensity of first team football. Some players are simply not cut out for it, while others (who might not have the same talent as their peers) thrive on it. But there is no way you can assess a player after just 90 minutes of football, you need to give them at least 3 clear opportunities if only to be able to rectify their mistakes.

As for Garner, the lad has undeniable talent and despite making some errors yesterday he showed his ability at times. He'll get more opportunities and shouldn't be going on loan unless we buy in January (which I hope we do) at that point he can probably go on loan.

OL29

7½ out of 10 for me last night, anybody who rated him lower should give their head a wobble, the kid, like Ethan Laird, Brandon Williams, Mason Greenwood is a serious talent. And there are a few just a level below as well.
Or people just have a different opinion to you...

OL29

Or other people are wrong, only noticed the mistakes and didn't pay proper attention to him for the whole match.
I don’t even think he was that bad, just kind of average and I’m sure many would agree that a 7.5 rating is too high, I’m not sure anyone deserved that rating bar Williams. The point is that just because people have a different view it doesn’t mean they should ‘give their head a wobble’. A bit arrogant.

NWRed

I don’t even think he was that bad, just kind of average and I’m sure many would agree that a 7.5 rating is too high, I’m not sure anyone deserved that rating bar Williams. The point is that just because people have a different view it doesn’t mean they should ‘give their head a wobble’. A bit arrogant.
Fair enough, misinterpreted what you said.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...

We've played a 3-man midfield. Galbraith isn't a 10 and often times drops as the deepest of the 3. They play a fluid 3 which is what gave Jimmy so much freedom to get forward.

POF

What is Ole doing playing Garner in such a game? What chance does he have against Partizan away from home?

Meanwhile, in the Brandon Williams thread: Why has Ole not played him more? Retire Young, sell Shaw and play Williams every week.

Ole the useless coach ruining all of United's world class young talent.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
What is Ole doing playing Garner in such a game? What chance does he have against Partizan away from home?

Meanwhile, in the Brandon Williams thread: Why has Ole not played him more? Retire Young, sell Shaw and play Williams every week.

Ole the useless coach ruining all of United's world class young talent.
Well it's clear that one was more ready, or in a more forgiving position, to be able to play to a decent capacity in an important game.

Adam-Utd

People demand every youngster to be Mbappe/Sancho levels and immediately dominate games. They don't have any patience and remember the bad games over the good ones. Every mistake is also pounced on (the entire team not just our youngsters) while anything good is relatively ignored. It's toxic. Yet it's always been this way, I can think of so many young players that came through at the club and got insulted and discarded after a bad game or two.

I'm perhaps guilty myself of hyping our young players up but I always stress that it's potential. We have no idea how these young players will react to the pressure and intensity of first team football. Some players are simply not cut out for it, while others (who might not have the same talent as their peers) thrive on it. But there is no way you can assess a player after just 90 minutes of football, you need to give them at least 3 clear opportunities if only to be able to rectify their mistakes.

As for Garner, the lad has undeniable talent and despite making some errors yesterday he showed his ability at times. He'll get more opportunities and shouldn't be going on loan unless we buy in January (which I hope we do) at that point he can probably go on loan.
He took a little while to adjust to the physicality of the game and probably the speed at which they pressed at, but that's normal. It's a completely different enviroment to a u23 match, especially in that sort of atmosphere!.
We've played a 3-man midfield. Galbraith isn't a 10 and often times drops as the deepest of the 3. They play a fluid 3 which is what gave Jimmy so much freedom to get forward.
Not always true, sometimes it’s Gomes as the 10 with Chong and Ramazani but I take your point. either way he’s got good output from midfield and is showing he’s a great all round player.

Status
Not open for further replies.