Foot: Right
Player Agent: Triple S Sports
Current club:
Manchester United
Contract until: 30.06.2022
Date of last contract extension: Mar 15, 2019​

Last edited:

Alabaster Codify7

Very encouraging. Garner is the reason I think we should avoid Longstaff, especially for the money quoted. Focus on a top-drawer Herrera replacement or two instead.

Ace of Spades

Hope to see more if him, can play CB as well. Not too worried about CM, as that is the area I think we are well stocked in talent coming from the academy.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If we don't end up signing Longstaff it might not be a bad idea to give what would have been his minutes to Garner, to be honest I'm still a bit confused as to why we're after Longstaff given how highly rated Garner is, plus Garner wouldn't cost £30m. I hope he gets more minutes to showcase what he can do on the tour, he seems the natural choice to eventually replace Matic.

AP88

Supports
Man City
If we don't end up signing Longstaff it might not be a bad idea to give what would have been his minutes to Garner, to be honest I'm still a bit confused as to why we're after Longstaff given how highly rated Garner is, plus Garner wouldn't cost £30m. I hope he gets more minutes to showcase what he can do on the tour, he seems the natural choice to eventually replace Matic.
They could play next to each other in a 4-2-3-1 eventually, plus Garner could develop into a top class centreback; it’s McTominay and Matic that Longstaff is the upgrade on.

AltiUn

They could play next to each other in a 4-2-3-1 eventually, plus Garner could develop into a top class centreback; it’s McTominay and Matic that Longstaff is the upgrade on.
McTominay doesn't really play that position, his best form's come in the B2B role. Longstaff would be direct competition for Garner and Matic. You're not wrong about the CB point though, he was very good when we had to play him there last season due to injuries, supposedly he was really highly rated as a defender in the past.

SATA

Chuffed for the lad. Everyone in the team was really delighted for him too looking at the way they congratulated him his goal. Also heard on MUTV he's the U18s captain of England, is that true?

kidbob

Younger and already better than 50m Longstaff. It's a travesty if we spend that much on a player who isn't far superior to him. Give him chances and by the time he is 20 he'll be ready. The goal was fantastic but he won a couple of tackles where instead of winning the ball he had the awareness to use the situation to pass it to another player. He's a top talent.

el3mel

Great strike for the goal. Didn't play much to evaluate him properly though. Hopefully gets more minutes next game.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Both Longstaff & Garner can still play in the same XI.

Mickson

I would like to see him play some more. It's hard to judge a CM based on ten minutes on the pitch. I want to see how he handles playing against men and how he's controlling things out there.

Web of Bissaka

I think this is his 3rd or 4th appearances so far.

Maybe I need to see more games, but I just can't see anything useful which he can provide to the first team at all. I mean before him, the likes of McT, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Rashford, Andreas Pereira (or even TFM, Mitchell, Wilson, Januzaj or Harlop even if for these five, unfavorable developments afterwards) all showed something immediately from their first debut -- something useful they can bring to the table for the first team to use or which the first team lacking. None so far with Garner. A fair number of those youth players before him also played very small number of minutes, so it shouldn't be a case of lack of chances.

Perhaps next games, he can finally show it.

dablem_10

Maybe I need to see more games, but I just can't see anything useful which he can provide to the first team at all. I mean before him, the likes of McT, Tuanzebe, Gomes, Greenwood, Chong, Rashford, Andreas Pereira (or even TFM, Mitchell, Wilson, Januzaj or Harlop even if for these five, unfavorable developments afterwards) all showed something immediately from their first debut -- something useful they can bring to the table for the first team to use or which the first team lacking. None so far with Garner. A fair number of those youth players before him also played very small number of minutes, so it shouldn't be a case of lack of chances.

from what i remember there were occuring totally same comments about scotty two years ago, maybe my memory is not best

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

He scored a goal and created a big chance by anticipating and then dispossessing the opponent in his first 30 minutes of preseason. Useful in the high press, picks the right passes to help calm and control the midfield. He has good control of the ball and some trickery to him as well, and you can see he has good vision and understanding of game play. He has a long way to go for sure but to say he hasn't shown anything you can't have been watching out for midfield characteristics.

Thiagoal

FFS he’s seventeen! Embarrassing post!

DoomSlayer

Even Ole said midfielders need more time to properly develop their game. The lad needs a few more seasons, fans are too impatient and expect too much nowadays.

AltiUn

FFS he’s seventeen! Embarrassing post!
Agreed, anyone who's watched him could tell you he's the furthest away right now. There's a reason he's so highly rated. Plus, he plays in an incredibly demanding position which requires experience before you can start really shining. With Garner if you don't know what you're looking for you'll miss it.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think Ole has made it clear that Garner is not quite there, but evidently he rates him highly enough to keep him in and around the team to try and nurture the evident talent.

I like him. His skill set is still developing, and you rarely see a seasoned central midfielder until they start approaching 22/23, when you start to understand if they're a delicate passer, or if they want to sit back and play as a quarter back, or if they want to pump their lungs in a ferocious box to box role.

McTominay is completely different to the player he was when he broke through, now playing with more confidence and comfort given his physical dominance against most of his opponents.

AltiUn

I think Ole has made it clear that Garner is not quite there, but evidently he rates him highly enough to keep him in and around the team to try and nurture the evident talent.

I like him. His skill set is still developing, and you rarely see a seasoned central midfielder until they start approaching 22/23, when you start to understand if they're a delicate passer, or if they want to sit back and play as a quarter back, or if they want to pump their lungs in a ferocious box to box role.

McTominay is completely different to the player he was when he broke through, now playing with more confidence and comfort given his physical dominance against most of his opponents.
Spot on, just have to look at the hottest CM prospects in Europe right now De Jong, Tielemans and Neves are all 22 and even they are still a bit rough around the edges.

Raven

What are you blowing on about? Scored a banger in his first game of preseason and then he put in a good showing in his second. As other poster have mentioned, he probably won't be ready until he's 21-23.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
He'll have a full season of U-23 football and the Checkatrade Trophy games to look forward too this, maybe the League Cup. The U-23's will be good for him to just play against older and ore physically imposing players. Not just from a strength stand point but speed as well.

Next season he will be closer to the first team squad in the way that Tuanzebe, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood are now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Spot on, just have to look at the hottest CM prospects in Europe right now De Jong, Tielemans and Neves are all 22 and even they are still a bit rough around the edges.
Very important to remember. Multiple people have said how highly they rate him, though it's hard for a player like him as they really don't break through until their early 20's. McTominay same, Longstaff is 21, those you listed, the list goes on. The holding midfield role along with goalkeeper is probably the role in football that takes the longest to actually break in to and properly perform if you arent a player reliant on just physicality and energy. Remains to be seen how long itll take him to actually develop, but I wouldnt bet on seeing him too much for another 2-3 seasons.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Any reason why he didn't get more playing time in pre-season? Do the people who've been following his progress think he's ready for the first team?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Any reason why he didn't get more playing time in pre-season? Do the people who've been following his progress think he's ready for the first team?
We play a 4-2-3-1, Solskjaer sees Matic and McTominay ahead of him in the pecking order as Pogba's partner.

He did get a some minutes though.

United58

He's only 18, for the intelligent type of player he is he's still extremely young. Experience helps these players an awful lot. We'll see Gomes and Greenwood makes strides in the first team long before Garner imo. Like Pirlo and Carrick, he'll peak in his early 30s.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We play a 4-2-3-1, Solskjaer sees Matic and McTominay ahead of him in the pecking order as Pogba's partner.

He did get a some minutes though.
He's only 18, for the intelligent type of player he is he's still extremely young. Experience helps these players an awful lot. We'll see Gomes and Greenwood makes strides in the first team long before Garner imo. Like Pirlo and Carrick, he'll peak in his early 30s.
Cheers for the replies. He got what, 10 minutes or so? I only remember him coming on and scoring in that one game, was it against Leeds?

It's probably a year or two too soon, which is a shame given that we have no squad depth in midfield.

Mickson

Cheers for the replies. He got what, 10 minutes or so? I only remember him coming on and scoring in that one game, was it against Leeds?

It's probably a year or two too soon, which is a shame given that we have no squad depth in midfield.
He played 19 minutes in total of two games and scored one goal. He's not ready to play in the first team yet, apart from the odd League Cup game maybe and short cameos.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Agreed, who knows what the Europa league has to offer though depending on how comfortable the group is. I'm as eager to see more of him as you are.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Agreed, who knows what the Europa league has to offer though depending on how comfortable the group is. I'm as eager to see more of him as you are.
Ah yes, the Europa. The one good thing about that competition, if we actually use it to give our talented youngsters games. Dearly hope so.

In Rainbows

Great performance the other day from Garner. I hope he grows in confidence and ability just like McTominay did these last few months. He's what people want McTominay to be. More skillful and better defensive ability. Doesn't mean he'll be as good for the seniors. Just saying when it comes to talent, he's superior.

Kostov

Great performance the other day from Garner. I hope he grows in confidence and ability just like McTominay did these last few months. He's what people want McTominay to be. More skillful and better defensive ability. Doesn't mean he'll be as good for the seniors. Just saying when it comes to talent, he's superior.

The only positive in this shitfest of not bringing in a midfielder is this kid getting lots of playing time. I can only hope.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The only positive in this shitfest of not bringing in a midfielder is this kid getting lots of playing time. I can only hope.
Hope so too. But we’ll do him no good throwing him in if he’s not ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.