5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestietom

Garner will be a regular next season. Yes, he is that good, I hope he is bedded in this season and then takes over from Matic next season.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't see the harm in giving him some of the chances Periera would otherwise get.

SteveW

Honestly he's such a great prospect in midfield, but if you give a player of his quality too much time on the ball.. the above video happens
Yeah, it's almost hard to assess that performance. West Brom's effort levels were pathetic. They just stood off united for the whole game and let them play.

fergosaurus

Looks like the real deal in that video. Good range of passing, shooting, skill and technique. I like his composure at 2:05 to lose his man.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, it's almost hard to assess that performance. West Brom's effort levels were pathetic. They just stood off united for the whole game and let them play.
Yes,but good players always seem to make time and space. Carrick used to be the same even at an early age

Mark Pawelek

You championed us to sign Declan Rice and made a post saying how it will be the end of Garner if we sign Longstaff. Longstaff has played more games as a #8 in his career than as a #6 and is a very rounded midfielder by all accounts. There's no doubt that both Garner and Longstaff are more than compatible to play together, than even a Rice-Garner combo in comparison imo. I don't think you realise the type of midfielder he is if you think he will be a stumbling block for Garner.
Longstaff would cost £50m; for a prospect. Rice is basically just a destroyer (Herrera without an attacking game). We don't play with that kind of player. Many better midfielders are available for about £50m such as: Donny van de Beek, who's is still at Ajax.

SteveW

Yes,but good players always seem to make time and space. Carrick used to be the same even at an early age
Absolutely. But WB were ridiculously bad. It was weird.

Not trying to take anything away from Garner. He's great

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Gardner was absolutely fantastic against West Brom. His first touch, close control and passing game is already PL standard. But his standout attribute is his thunder shots from his right foot. Similar to a young Steven Gerard. At his age you can’t do it better.

He needs to become more physical and that together with game time must be his most important goals on the near future. It’s hard to tell but he could be ready to step to PL actions next season with a little bit of luck and good development. Great future ahead of him.

Mark Pawelek

Absolutely. But WB were ridiculously bad. It was weird.

Not trying to take anything away from Garner. He's great
So WB were ridiculously bad eh?
Q: Does that mean Garner only looks good playing against bad teams?
A: No. Because Garner also looked good playing against Rotherham who are League 1 standard, men, and professional footballers. Showing that Garner can handle the rough and tumble.

What's that got to do with West Brom last night?
9 United players started both games.

Mr PG

He looks to be better than Carrick ever was. Carrick passing was exceptional but mobility was a downside. Garner looks to have both.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
People must be mad when they expect him to be a regular next year. He is 19 next season and plays in a position where the importance of experience can not be overestimated. It is not the same thing as being a striker.

Rodri, one of the most talented players in the world in this position, got 800 min for Villarreal when he was 20 (two years time for Garner) and was a regular at 21. Busquets and Xabi Alonso was similar.

While some player can make an impact early due to being exeptionally early developers, I do not think that is the case for Garner. He is great at U23 due to talent. Not being physically imposing. And for his position, it is even more about brains and experience.

I actually do think Garner could be a talent of similar level to some of the players I mentioned. But that is probably a stretch and an insane statement at this stage. But compared to those who expect him to be a regular next year it aint that bad.

owlo

People must be mad when they expect him to be a regular next year. He is 19 next season and plays in a position where the importance of experience can not be overestimated. It is not the same thing as being a striker.

Rodri, one of the most talented players in the world in this position, got 800 min for Villarreal when he was 20 (two years time for Garner) and was a regular at 21. Busquets and Xabi Alonso was similar.

While some player can make an impact early due to being exeptionally early developers, I do not think that is the case for Garner. He is great at U23 due to talent. Not being physically imposing. And for his position, it is even more about brains and experience.

I actually do think Garner could be a talent of similar level to some of the players I mentioned. But that is probably a stretch and an insane statement at this stage. But compared to those who expect him to be a regular next year it aint that bad.
Agree strongly with this post. It's why I called OGS's summer recruitment criminal in another thread. These players have to be managed carefully and eased in as opposed to expected to perform. Unconvinced Garner is physically ready too, though he's the kid I'm most excited about long term. I think he's more Redondo than Xabi/Busquets, though that's a huge tag...

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He looks to be better than Carrick ever was. Carrick passing was exceptional but mobility was a downside. Garner looks to have both.
You're comparing a youth player to an England international who won countless trophies. Wise up.

United58

I think we'll see less of him than Gomes and Greenwood this season - like Carrick, he'll peak later on. Intelligent players like him generally hone their skills in their 20s. Really interested to see how he does under the tutelage of Michael Carrick himself. Garner should have a great career in club football - hopefully here.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Yeah agreed. Itll take a few years for him to really brake into the team at least, it's just how it is for his type of midfielders. Loads of potential and if he keeps it up, he'll get more and more minutes, but wouldnt expect him to be a starter before he's 21 at the earliest really.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Yeah agreed. Itll take a few years for him to really brake into the team at least, it's just how it is for his type of midfielders. Loads of potential and if he keeps it up, he'll get more and more minutes, but wouldnt expect him to be a starter before he's 21 at the earliest really.
In the PL, I agree. But I’m not sure he will learn much more in the U23. He already looks like he could be too good for that level. Considering how good and developed he is, I think it would do him good gaining experience from a more competetive level. Maguire played regularly at League One at the same age. If there is a club/manager somewhere with a suitable type of football the club probably should consider that in january.

Mark Pawelek

Matic is experienced but sloppy. I'd prefer someone who is never sloppy: whether they have the experience or not. I don't see how having experience stops a CDM making mistakes. I think CDM is about 1) protecting the defense, 2) never giving the ball away, 3) distributing it. Garner does all that well.

In Rainbows

Garner along with Gomes, Greenwood, and Chong should be playing in the League Cup, EFL cup, and Europa League. That's a minimum of 10 games this season in competitions that don't really matter to us. What matters is their development and building towards something great. Even if they don't become great, it's better to have them as squad players as that allows us to spend more on other players.

Amarsdd

From the 4-5 games I've seen him in, he seems to have all the fundamentals down to be a Carrick-like player or Scholes in his later years. For example, and probably the biggest thing for me is that he doesn't have to shift his body every time to pass like Cleverley used to do. It means he can always release the ball much faster than others do. He is also actively and cleverly moving around to find space to get the pass, which is very important for such type of midfielder. Obviously, he seems to have vision in his passing and also grit to go into rough tackles if needed. In terms of press-resistance, he seems good for the U23s but now how it translates to the PL depends on how he adapts to PL's physicality and pace. That, we can only clearly tell when we see him there.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
:lol: Christ on a bike. What is this nonsense? Better than Carrick ever was? I don’t know whether to even take this comment seriously. And it just goes to show how short some people’s memories are when they talk about Carrick having no mobility. Maybe when he was in his mid 30s. But when he signed for us in his mid twenties he was extremely mobile. Mobile enough to play in a midfield two with a Scholes. He absolutely transformed our midfield when he signed. Carrick is one of the most underrated players of the last twenty years and was fundamental to the most successful era in our history. Absolutely brilliant footballer.

What always makes me laugh is when people say he wasn’t press resistant either. More nonsense. Again, younger fans or those with no long term memory, remember the Carrick from his later years. But peak Carrick was highly press resistant, often moving the ball quickly with one touch passing. I remember being in Spain watching a CL match, and the Spanish commentators talking about how ice cool he was under pressure (press) and how well he moved the ball. Never giving it away.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think he’s better than Xavi and Iniesta combined

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There was one interview with Garner, Gomes, (I think it was during ManUtd player awards), he talked about how he wants to add goals to his game. Looks like he has already improved on that.

Might be completely wrong here, I remember it watching during MUTV awards.

jeepers

Reckon if he can prove himself in whatever senior game time this season, we will pass on Longstaff and use him as Matic’s eventual successor. Longstaff’s price is ridiculous.

SteveW

So WB were ridiculously bad eh?
Q: Does that mean Garner only looks good playing against bad teams?
A: No. Because Garner also looked good playing against Rotherham who are League 1 standard, men, and professional footballers. Showing that Garner can handle the rough and tumble.
Something I never suggested. All I did was comment on how ridiculously slack West Brom were. As I said in the original post, i wasn't trying to take anything from Garner. I've been full of praise for him

Status
Not open for further replies.