5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

People must be mad when they expect him to be a regular next year. He is 19 next season and plays in a position where the importance of experience can not be overestimated. It is not the same thing as being a striker.

Rodri, one of the most talented players in the world in this position, got 800 min for Villarreal when he was 20 (two years time for Garner) and was a regular at 21. Busquets and Xabi Alonso was similar.

While some player can make an impact early due to being exeptionally early developers, I do not think that is the case for Garner. He is great at U23 due to talent. Not being physically imposing. And for his position, it is even more about brains and experience.

I actually do think Garner could be a talent of similar level to some of the players I mentioned. But that is probably a stretch and an insane statement at this stage. But compared to those who expect him to be a regular next year it aint that bad.
Yeah, central midfielders playing deeper and without great physical attributes certainly peak amongst the latest outfield positions. Maybe a champo full season play every game loan next year at 19 and he can play for us at 20? Rodri, for instance, played a full season in the equivalent of League 1/2 (3rd division but they have 4 of them on equal status) at 19.

romufc

Does anyone think Garner's potential came into the United think tanks thinking whilst looking at signings?

Why spend £50-80m on Rice and or Longstaff when we have a talented youngster coming through? We look like we are not going down the route of "quick fix" and building a squad for the future.

I really hope we can see 10-12 games in the first team, even if it is the Europa.

If he lives up to expectation, and this team stays together what a reputation for Manutd this could be.

Henderson

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Garner
Pogba

James
Gomes
Rashford

Martial / Greenwood

If we can add a bit of quality - Sancho

M Bison

Supports
York City
Does anyone think Garner's potential came into the United think tanks thinking whilst looking at signings?

Why spend £50-80m on Rice and or Longstaff when we have a talented youngster coming through? We look like we are not going down the route of "quick fix" and building a squad for the future.

I really hope we can see 10-12 games in the first team, even if it is the Europa.

If he lives up to expectation, and this team stays together what a reputation for Manutd this could be.

Henderson

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Garner
Pogba

James
Gomes
Rashford

Martial / Greenwood

I think had Eriksen wanted to sign we’d have gone for him (proven PL and likely reasonably priced given his contract situation) but I also think the powers are wanting to see more from the likes of Fred who they shelled out £50m on, and haven’t seen any return.

Litch

Really nice player but U23 football won't tell us anything about whether he can make the transition to the men's game.

Kostov

I was reading today that Ole is planning on giving his development advantage over the likes of Fred and Matic. It was from MEN and I know it's hard to believe, but I would love that. If we can give him regular minutes in the Europa I think the boy can surprise us.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
After watching him a bit more, he seems ready for the Premier League. Too good for u23 or reserves now. Has crossed the Rubicon.

He's gonna be bald though.

Mr PG

Garner is exceptional and I reckon the only reason he isn’t playing is his physique is a bit scrawny he needs time to grow into a man’s physique. No need to rush him so he will get games here and there in the cups while waiting for him to mature physically.

Mr PG

Henderson

AWB
Lindelof
Maguire
Shaw

Garner
Pogba

James
Gomes
Rashford

Martial / Greenwood

I agree and thought the same thing. No need for Rice and co when this lad is almost ready.

Mr PG

He looks like another scholar the way he runs the game for under 23’s.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He looks a very good player in the making but is realistically 2-3 years away from being a first team regular. He’s 18. He’ll be doing very well if he can be starting for us when he is 20-22 in CDM.

In Rainbows

He looks a very good player in the making but is realistically 2-3 years away from being a first team regular. He’s 18. He’ll be doing very well if he can be starting for us when he is 20-22 in CDM.
I would like him to get as much playing time as Skipp got last season for Spurs.

AgentP

The more and more I look at him, he seems exceptional. His passing range is excellent. He receives the ball under pressure and brings it out well. He has a solid shot on him. His decision making is good. He could be starter for us in a few years if he can keep progressing.

Tarrou

I agree and thought the same thing. No need for Rice and co when this lad is almost ready.
if he's ready for regular premier league football in two years time that would be amazing, and he'd be ahead of the curve as central midfielders go

he does not look almost ready to me at all, he just looks great for his age

Roboc7

We need him to develop, should be Matic’s last season at the club, probably Pogba’s which only leaves Fred and Mctominay. We’ll need 3 new midfielders next summer and hopefully Garner is one of them.

Mark Pawelek

if he's ready for regular premier league football in two years time that would be amazing, and he'd be ahead of the curve as central midfielders go

he does not look almost ready to me at all, he just looks great for his age
Why doesn't he look ready to you? What faults in his game can you see?

ChaddyP

We need him to develop, should be Matic’s last season at the club, probably Pogba’s which only leaves Fred and Mctominay. We’ll need 3 new midfielders next summer and hopefully Garner is one of them.
The Caf won't approve of that.

Bestietom

Garner and Chong stick out from the pack and should get more game time for the first team.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hope it is nothing serious.

11:46
Garner withdraws from England duty through injury
The England U19 international has been replaced by Luis Binks.

Jinn

Bit disappointing that this lad couldn't get a little cameo.

pascell

Has his team mates to thank for him not getting minutes. Rojo, Pogba and Greenwood finish their easy chances in the 1st half, he'd of had a half of football under his belt like Williams.

R'hllor

I would rather see him as backup over Matic any day of the week, shove all the not ready nonsense.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It's going to be so easy for him to keep his place once he gets accustomed to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. Hope to see him get his chance very soon.

Red_toad

It's going to be so easy for him to keep his place once he gets accustomed to the pace and physicality of the Premier League. Hope to see him get his chance very soon.
There is zero certainty he’s good enough and he’s very very young for a midfielder. Lad has lots of development to do before he’s ready for the premier league and a full season as a first teaser. He’s being vastly over rated as per all our youngsters. No one knows for certain how any of them will develop. I’ve yet to see a youth product as good as Ravel in the last 10 years and he managed to feck himself up. Obviously our current incumbents aren’t at the required standard but throwing teenagers in to fix a poor team isn’t a great solution.

SteveW

So the lad said at the end of last season he needed to add goals to his game.

Emerged 3 months later an absolute goal machine. You love to see it.

SteveW

There is zero certainty he’s good enough and he’s very very young for a midfielder. Lad has lots of development to do before he’s ready for the premier league and a full season as a first teaser. He’s being vastly over rated as per all our youngsters. No one knows for certain how any of them will develop. I’ve yet to see a youth product as good as Ravel in the last 10 years and he managed to feck himself up. Obviously our current incumbents aren’t at the required standard but throwing teenagers in to fix a poor team isn’t a great solution.
Ravel was a stunning footballer. Best I've seen at youth level in 25 years if not ever. A completely unique, balanced, snake hipped, dream of a footballer. The fact that he never followed it through will always disappoint me because he could have been special to watch in a Manchester united midfield.

You don't need to be as good as that to make. Pogba wasn't as good and he's done alright for himself.

Greenwood is the first one in a long long time to excite me as much. It's been obvious for 2 years. It's a walk in the park for him. Just needs to get stronger.

Axel, Gomes and Greenwood are the only ones ready for the first team this season.

Garner is making great strides though. Brilliant defensively, positions himself well at all times, good range of passing, score goals. Still quite weakly built. Growing into his body. I see no reason why he can't have a good chance here.

Status
Not open for further replies.