View full 2019-20 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get forward! He was dropping far too much, needed to receive the ball in between midfield lines.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Now that I've watched him more in first-team games a few major weaknesses he has to address:
  1. Hopeless defensively. Suffers from the Perreira syndrome of chasing people aimlessly and closing down with no structure.
    1. Doesn't have defensive awareness of his midfield surroundings when he goes out of position to close down - should take notes from Scott here.
  2. Static. He's got a decent first touch and a sharp passing foot on him. With his size, he should have the agility to keep bouncing around channels giving teammates an option. He just doesn't. Either a stamina issue or a coachable mental part of his game.
  3. Makes rash decisions when he plays a loose ball with one touch. That should weed out with experience, but he will need to actively weed it out. He doesn't have the luxury that Scott has in the sense if he miscontrols a loose ball he can use his size to win a foul 100% of the time. Scott has mastered it. Garner not yet.
If he's got it in him, I have no concerns. He's got access to the same coaches that were behind Scott's exponential rise.

Wishe

Every week people have been complaining about Ole not starting this lad ahead of Pereira, Mata and calling the manager incompetent because of it. It was clear for me in the game against AZ that Garner is still too young and needs more time before he is ready to start in the PL.

It seems to me that there are some people on this forum that hype up teenagers they have barely seen play and then complain when they do not get on the pitch, while most of the time they are just not good enough to warrant a starting spot at the minute.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Playing within himself which is fair but it shows he’s not quite ready for regular first team football.

Still showed some nice touches though.

Lynty

Every week people have been complaining about Ole not starting this lad ahead of Pereira, Mata and calling the manager incompetent because of it. It was clear for me in the game against AZ that Garner is still too young and needs more time before he is ready to start in the PL.

It seems to me that there are some people on this forum that hype up teenagers they have barely seen play and then complain when they do not get on the pitch, while most of the time they are just not good enough to warrant a starting spot at the minute.
Howson is the worst for this.

He'd genuinely start Gomes, Garner, Greenwood and Williams every game.

reddevil702

I think he just needs confidence. Seems to just want to play it simple and get rid of the ball quickly, even if it means just going back to the CB. Once his confidence grows, hopefully we see him push forward and try to dictate play a little more. I think even Levitt looked more comfortable and assertive than him when they played.

Wishe

Haha, yes. Everytime the lineups are released it is full of comments like " I can't believe Garner is not starting" or "Put Gomes in OMG".

mu4c_20le

He seems a bit lightweight for me. I know he's a more attack minded midfielder, but the role in our system requires more defensive and dirty work.

Owngoalscorer

Tonight will have done him a world of good - consider the handicap of having two painfully so midfielders as partners, it was also his first OT start. He won't be properly ready for regular first team for at least another year but he still showed a good few decent touches , spreading the ball and one touch nearer the box. In the future he will be very good for utd

pascell

I think Ole is doing the right thing here with Garner and Greenwood, dipping them in and out of the first team, there's no real expectation on them that way, it's not going to do them any harm. The game time he's getting now we'll see come to fruition further down the line, first of all we need to get him playing with confidence in the first team as a foundation for him to build upon.

Milo2035

Just want to remind people that Pogba looked clueless when he played for the first team at 19. Then he went to Juventus and BOOM, he became world class instantly. Young CMs like him need a fluid system and good partners around.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just want to remind people that Pogba looked clueless when he played for the first team at 19. Then he went to Juventus and BOOM, he became world class instantly. Young CMs like him need a fluid system and good partners around.
That's such a weird comparison. Everyone knew how good Pogba was and he was the most exciting player that our academy had produced since... Ravel, but let's keep him out of this.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No he didn’t. He really really didn’t.

kundalini

I was impressed by his 2nd half performance, though if there had been VAR, then there is no way they would have missed his foul that created the chance for Greenwood's first goal. First half I thought he struggled, as did most of the team. One super pass to Laird in the 2nd half.

Big difference when there is some space in midfield, compared to when it's compact; his lack of physical strength is an issue at the moment.

Last edited:

Amarsdd

i think its mostly a matter of confidence and first team experience for him. There were a number of moments in the match today where a riskier pass was there for him to make which I've seen him make easily for the reserves, but he decided to take a safer option. Similarly, it seemed he was trying to make to-feet passes slower to make it safe instead of crisper like he does for the reserves. These things should come to him with more first team experience and confidence.

ash_86

Not good enough yet to warrent a spot in the first team. He's playing safe almost always even when there is space to drive forward. Levitt impressed me better with his forward passing between the lines against Astana.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Did ok, looked nervous which is understandable. I'd like to see him get more game-time but on that showing, its clear why Ole is taking his time with him.

Lovely ball to Laird in the 2nd half, and good to see him get stuck in for Greenwood's 1st (although a foul!)

Drainy

He seems a bit lightweight for me. I know he's a more attack minded midfielder, but the role in our system requires more defensive and dirty work.
a) he is 18, of course he's not fully physically developed
b) he isn't, he's a more defensive minded or box to box player

The point is that he clearly isn't ready to be starting competitive games for the first team where we need a result, and nor should be be expected to be. You don't see many 18yo central midfielders starting those kinds of games at the top level for a reason.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

This.

flappyjay

The point is that he clearly isn't ready to be starting competitive games for the first team where we need a result, and nor should be be expected to be. You don't see many 18yo central midfielders starting those kinds of games at the top level for a reason.
This. It's obvious the talent is there and it's also obvious that he is just a kid. Hopefully he is patient and will be OK with sporadic appearances for the next 2 years and then maybe a loan depending on his development at the time.

Devil may care

He doesn't really look quite ready, to be honest I think he was lucky to get the chance over Levitt.

Ace of Spades

He needs to fill up a bit more, and he is definitely playing a bit safe, but tbf it is not easy to play with Mata and Matic as your midfield partners. He is not a very energetic player who can cover a lot of ground quickly, and playing with two other players who are slow is not ideal at all.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
It's all part of his development. Just keep giving him minutes in a match, and the odd 90 minutes, whilst still turning out for the under 23's from time to time. Not sure, but he could possibly go on loan in the summer. Think we will need him for Europa League and some cup matches in the new year, other wise could have gone on loan in January, which is still a possibility if we get midfield reinforcements in the next window.

Lastwolf

He wouldn't, he says these things in the heat of the moment but if he were incharge he wouldn't. Well, maybe with Williams cause he clearly has a soft spot for the kid due to knowing him.

He does get carried away with the hype train but hey, who doesn't from time to time.

Mark Pawelek

Every week
Not every week. Mostly those weeks when Pogba, Matic, and Fred were all injured at the same time.
people have been complaining about Ole not starting this lad ahead of Pereira
In central defensive midfield.
and calling the manager incompetent because of it.
Don't remember that.
It was clear for me in the game against AZ that Garner is still too young and needs more time before he is ready to start in the PL.
If so, how come United lost 2 midfielders last season (Herrera and Fellaini) but replaced them with no one?
It seems to me that there are some people on this forum that hype up teenagers
Or maybe that was the United management so they can justify beginning this season with 3 less senior players than last season?
most of the time they are just not good enough to warrant a starting spot at the minute.
Is Andreas good enough to warrant a starting spot in central midfield?

Mark Pawelek

You watched a different match. I remember Pogba, aged 19, playing in an ECL match looking like United's best midfielder.

fps

Your argument is that neither look good now so they’ll both look great later? Doesn’t seem a great argument.
Garner needs to toughen up and work harder to show for the ball, he has to get his foot in and be a presence. He is currently very young especially for his position and it’s fine that he isn’t yet ready for a regular role with the first team squad. He hasn’t yet shown much, but there is time if he works hard.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
A couple of years on loan,preferably in the Championship,would do Garner the world of good.

mu4c_20le

Fabregas and Veratti both became first team regulars in top leagues at the age of 17, and neither are giants. If you are a special talent then it will show regardless of physical development. John McGinn was 18 when he was playing regularly in the scottish leagues and they are no joke physically either. And from what ive seen in the reserves he seems to shine when he's got the ball rather than without it, the problem with him not being ready is that he doesn't seem to have the bite that some midfielders do, constantly harrowing opponents and looking to win the ball back. If his best asset is being box to box then he's got a long way to go, and needs a loan to the Championship or something.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is he injured? We are juggling two fit midfielders at the moment and no sign of Garner or Levitt.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Is he injured? We are juggling two fit midfielders at the moment and no sign of Garner or Levitt.
I read that the club may be considering loaning him out,which I agree with.
I think its too soon for Garner to play consistently at a PL level.

Dont get me wrong,he sure seems to have the ability but he's still ,understandably, light.
The Championship or League 1 will do him the world of good,sooner rather the later.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I read that the club may be considering loaning him out,which I agree with.
I think its too soon for Garner to play consistently at a PL level.

Dont get me wrong,he sure seems to have the ability but he's still ,understandably, light.
The Championship or League 1 will do him the world of good,sooner rather the later.
Interesting. If he's not injured, they obviously don't think he's ready despite our desperate lack of bodies in the middle of the park. Any rumours about clubs who may be seeking a loan move? I'd hope not League one..

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Interesting. If he's not injured, they obviously don't think he's ready despite our desperate lack of bodies in the middle of the park. Any rumours about clubs who may be seeking a loan move? I'd hope not League one..
I haven't heard any team mentioned as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.