James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
Didn't watch the game but he had 65.2% pass completion and made only 23 passes.
Pretty much sums his performance up. He did not really get involved. Needs to impose himself more on the game, ask for the ball more, show himself for the ball more. Right now it seems like he’s happy to just let the game flow past him.

Walters_19_MuFc

Pretty much sums his performance up. He did not really get involved. Needs to impose himself more on the game, ask for the ball more, show himself for the ball more. Right now it seems like he’s happy to just let the game flow past him.
Ahh ok. Cheers. Quite a few people have made the suggestion of him being a squad player for us next season but it sounds like he could do with another loan - preferably in the EPL to gain that top level experience and more importantly, see whether he has the ability to compete in the EPL.

GJNJ

I watched a 4-5 games of forest in the last few weeks and he was demanding the ball, telling other players where to pass to, making himself available, passing through the lines, switching play etc.

I didn’t see yesterdays game but I did watch the first leg and his performance was pretty much as you described. I wonder if it the pressure of such a big game or inconsistency. From the games I’ve seen he seems to be man of the match or a passenger.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I watched a 4-5 games of forest in the last few weeks and he was demanding the ball, telling other players where to pass to, making himself available, passing through the lines, switching play etc.

I didn’t see yesterdays game but I did watch the first leg and his performance was pretty much as you described. I wonder if it the pressure of such a big game or inconsistency. From the games I’ve seen he seems to be man of the match or a passenger.
Consistency. All young players suffer from it.
However what it tells us is that our expectations may be too high, he may require another loan

GJNJ

Consistency. All young players suffer from it.
However what it tells us is that our expectations may be too high, he may require another loan
Some players kick on when playing with better players maybe that could happen but if he could play every week in the premier league next season then that would be more beneficial to his development. As previously said by others if Forest go up it would be great for him to stay another season.

Pughnichi

Desparetly wanting Forrest to get promotion and for Garner to get a yr there playing regular EPL football.

last time I can recall that happening was Welbeck and Evans at Sunderland and they went on to be reasonable squad players for us.

Robertd0803

Desparetly wanting Forrest to get promotion and for Garner to get a yr there playing regular EPL football.

last time I can recall that happening was Welbeck and Evans at Sunderland and they went on to be reasonable squad players for us.
I think in his defence Evans could be classed as more than a squad player in fairness.

But yeah everyones hoping Forest get promoted purely because of Garner. Another season there would be ideal but in the top flight this time.

Walters_19_MuFc

Garner struggles with imposing himself on the game. That stat does not surprise me at all.
The 23 passes is not a massive worry for me - players can have quiet games, and its very dependent on the style of team. However, that pass accuracy is shocking for a midfielder.

mav_9me

I really want him to be good enough.... I just don't see it as more than a squad player. His potential ceiling to me looks like JWP. Good set pieces and a good cross, gets stuck in but nothing amazing in any department (except not as elite as JWP at set pieces. JWP is a really good player now but it took him a long time to get to his current level, I just don't see it with Garner being more than that ever.

If Forrest secure promotion, I'd hope he stays there for a season in the prem.
The one thing I will say is sitting midfielders can be difficult to judge unless you watch them regularly. As you later said they tend to mature later no? I would hope he turns out closer to Carrick than JWP. Time will tell. He has that on his side.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The one thing I will say is sitting midfielders can be difficult to judge unless you watch them regularly. As you later said they tend to mature later no? I would hope he turns out closer to Carrick than JWP. Time will tell. He has that on his side.
Yeah for sure. I feel like with attacking players you see their potential much more clearly at a younger age, while defensive players take a lot more time. We'll see.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Probably because he hid away Scott McTominay style.
He’s had a good season but in the big end season games he’s not been showing for the ball and has played far too safe.
He didn't hide tonight, he could have won the game for Forest if it wasn't for a great clearing header.

He was quietly effective, nothing too fancy, just good recycling of the ball and lots of work.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Probably because he hid away Scott McTominay style.
He’s had a good season but in the big end season games he’s not been showing for the ball and has played far too safe.
Forest don’t play through midfield. They have 3 physical CBs who sit back in their shape and hit the channels on the break. They’re a well organised, hard working counter attacking team who only average the 10th highest possession in the league with the 11th highest pass accuracy.

Bondi77

I wonder how many more times someone will post that he needs to go on loan next season :lol:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Tidy player but not exactly what you aspire to have in the team's engine while you compete for the top 3 and the CL.

Have loved watching him develop but he's the type of player we should be trying to pass on for a nice 30m profit in a couple of years time. Hopefully, the new recruitment and development team at United will be to do that

GreatDane

So many are wanting to loan this guy out again - for a club loving youth we sure hate playing them..

We have a new manager, famous for being meticulous and using his players' strengths.
It would be far better if Garner can be implemented and used properly.
He's 21 now, it's time to see if he can make it here or not.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Didn't watch the game but he had 65.2% pass completion and made only 23 passes.
More of the same last night, apparently. 15 accurate passes in the first 90 mins

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Watched the game last night and was disappointed by him, as the comments made recently that he goes invisible and doesn’t make himself an option seemed accurate. Never looked fussed to make space for himself to receive a pass.

AndySmith1990

He sounds like another mediocre academy product in the same mould as McTominay from the recent comments

arthurka

He didn't hide tonight, he could have won the game for Forest if it wasn't for a great clearing header.

He was quietly effective, nothing too fancy, just good recycling of the ball and lots of work.
Absolutely worked his ass off and was always available for the ball. His off the ball movement is excellent. There was a moment in extra time when he ran 20-30m full pelt to try to stop the passing and ball switching.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Watched the game last night and was disappointed by him, as the comments made recently that he goes invisible and doesn’t make himself an option seemed accurate. Never looked fussed to make space for himself to receive a pass.
He's barely 21. Its also his first full season and is probably mentally tired. Or maybe the manager just told him to play simple.
Its the sort of position, a regista that fans don't really appreciate until he isn't playing -- like how Carrick was always criticised for being a non-descript player.

Lennon

He ist 21! Either he'll make it or not ... Remember, if you are good enough than you are old enough!

Gordon S

Absolutely worked his ass off and was always available for the ball. His off the ball movement is excellent. There was a moment in extra time when he ran 20-30m full pelt to try to stop the passing and ball switching.
Yeah, he definitely has an engine, i think that moment you refered to was deep in extra time, like after 115 minutes of football. Wins a lot of important duels for them. I can see why he is an important player for them and it is not just for his set pieces. We can not complain about his work ethics.

I do not agree either with the people that says he is hiding. He makes himself available quite often imo but Forest are not playing through their midfield very often.

dutchred

If we got FDJ the James would be the perfect partner next to him in a double pivot

r0663664

Worships Man City
Look at the short clip, I would prefer him than McTominay. I think ETH can find a role for him.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If they win promotion, I hope we loan him back to Forest for their year in the PL. Would be invaluable experience…but will mean we need to dip into the market for a player to play next to FdJ.

GreatDane

If they win promotion, I hope we loan him back to Forest for their year in the PL. Would be invaluable experience…but will mean we need to dip into the market for a player to play next to FdJ.
Experience is losing perhaps, Forest isn't going to dominate games next year if they get promoted so I would much rather he stays here and fight for a place in the team.
Better manager, better players around him.
And if we get De Jong, then Garners very decent long pass and engine should compliment him very well.

He's 21, he's either going to make it or we should sell him.

Coxy

If he's not going to be playing with us then fully agree - no point him just sitting on the bench and playing the odd game - he will learn much more playing week in week out.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Looking at how effective Liverpool's midfield was last night, despite being made up of Milner, Elliot and Jones, he should definitely be in the mix next season. It shows how big system and cohesion is.

Status
Not open for further replies.