James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banana Republic

All those rating him higher than McTominey, should have watched him during the 2nd half of yesterday’s play off final, when Huddersfield had their best spell in the game and were dominating possession.
Garner was wandering around aimlessly, having no defensive impact at all.
Not closing down, or pressing and just hopelessly trying to mark space, while the game passed him by.
It was a carbon copy of McTominey and just as ineffective and useless.
If he’s to progress, this is an area of his game he needs to massively improve upon.
He’s a very confident and talented lad, but a big step up is needed if he’s to make the grade.

Meanwhile, there’s speculation that Leicester are going to put a bid in to buy him.

MrBest

He didn’t “lead” our team. He wasn’t the captain or the most influential player. He played well in a good team and has obvious talent to play at a higher level if given time and the right conditions.
Okay I chose the wrong words by leading (I got carried away and I did say that I am bias with him) but he certainly owned his position and made it his own.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
I had high hopes for him in the youth team. But I think he is probably Cleverly level. Cleverly was ok for us and has had an ok PL career. Better than Mctominay but that's not saying much.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I’m a Forest supporter and had to respond to this because I think it’s a mischaracterisation of the way we play. You’re making us sound like a long ball side!

I would say that aside from Swansea - who take it to the extreme - there are few other sides in the Championship this season who‘ve played out from the back as much as Forest do. Samba, our keeper, is good in possession and our three centre halves are all encouraged to bring the ball into midfield by Cooper.

Where you may have a point is that we progress play a lot down the flanks, especially the right, because Spence and Johnson have been so threatening and productive this season. We’re not a side that seeks to dominate possession in the centre of midfield and play quite effectively on the counter attack, but that doesn’t mean that we bypass midfield entirely.

You have to also remember that the Championship is super competitive and demanding, so the composure can quickly go out of games. Maybe you’ve watched us on occasions when the game has got ragged, like the final, but at our best we’ve been a good side to watch and play in a way that it’s in keeping with the best Forest teams in our history (Carey, Clough, Clark, Hart - all passing sides).

I think it’s a loan that’s worked for all parties - Forest, United, Garner. If it was such a stylistic mismatch, I don’t think Garner would be happy, and it’s clear from interviews and reaction at the end yesterday that he’s loved being with us.

My own observation of Garner is that he’s a great young player, with lovely eye for a pass and superb set piece delivery, but he’s still developing, and not yet at a point where he’s imposing himself on games consistently - but that’s not harsh criticism because he’s been a good performer for us. I think he needs 30 plus games in the Premier League next season to get a true sense of his ceiling.

I think it makes sense for your new manager to assess him over the summer and probably send him out on loan again. Forest would love to have him back and I’m pretty sure he’d be happy to go back to Forest, if his prospects for game time at United are limited.
Would be daft not to loan him back to Forest IMO. You keep a key player and they can reap the benefits of him playing top flight football. You’d benefit massively from his delivery in the PL .

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Our central midfield has been a disgrace for too long, we have a promising young midfielder on the back of a very good season and fans want to send him out on loan? Not saying he'll be a world beater but I've already seen enough to know he's an upgrade on McTominay.
Not sure why Garner is always compared to McT. Different sorts of players. They could probably play together.

Drizzle

I watched an every touch highlights video of his performance against Huddersfield (I'm aware this is not the full picture but gives a flavour of the performance). It's extremely underwhelming. Apart from one well timed tackle he does literally nothing impressive. Even the easy circulation passes are a bit imprecise.

I'd dismiss it if it weren't for the fact that he's been bang average every time I've watched him for Forest and in the youth teams. Clearly a decent young player but absolutely nothing special about him. To my eyes he's a couple of levels down from McTominay. If we can sell him then do so, otherwise a loan and hope he improves a lot.

padzilla

Hipster
It makes for Ten Hag to take a look at him in pre-season and take it from there.

If he doesn't make it for us it seems like he has a good career ahead of him anyway, fair play to the lad.

ti vu

Not sure why Garner is always compared to McT. Different sorts of players. They could probably play together.
I think it's about the role McTominay is being shoehorned in. Garner may not be solved our issue, but it feels like he's more serviceable. McTominay really failed this role.

Raven

What people seem to be neglecting is that ETH is a much better coach than Steve Cooper and that he will likely learn and develop a lot more under Ten Hag. If it's decided he needs another loan then fair enough but I'm sure he'll be given a chance during preseason to see if he can be useful for us next season.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I had high hopes for him in the youth team. But I think he is probably Cleverly level. Cleverly was ok for us and has had an ok PL career. Better than Mctominay but that's not saying much.
Cleverly isn't better than Mctominay at all. Never had been.

Mctominay got like 8 goals last season for us. When did Cleverley get anything like that?

Neither are good enough though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why is everybody so desperate to send him out again? He’s had a great season at Forest so now is absolutely the time to try him here. If he’s as good as he seems great, if not move him on for a fee.
Same goes for Williams, Chong, Amad, Pellestri etc. we’ll never know how good they are unless we push them.
Because it's not always that black and white.

He's got good potential but he needs to be playing regularly at a young age. Just sitting him on the bench isn't going to do him any good.

He isn't ready to be a first team midfielder at a top club yet, but he's good enough to be playing regularly in the league at Forest.

1 year in the PL will be huge for him to learn, grow and progress. He's still only 21 years old. After that point we will see whether he can join the squad full time or move him on.

tomaldinho1

100% should be sent back on loan if Forest will have him. PL experience without it coming at United’s cost as, let’s be honest, he’s looked tidy and had a great loan, but he’s not ready if we’re serious about top 4. Midfield is our biggest issue and has been for ages, we are going to have to spend to get good players in who are ready to contribute at the highest level immediately.

TheReligion

Abusive
I watched an every touch highlights video of his performance against Huddersfield (I'm aware this is not the full picture but gives a flavour of the performance). It's extremely underwhelming. Apart from one well timed tackle he does literally nothing impressive. Even the easy circulation passes are a bit imprecise.

I'd dismiss it if it weren't for the fact that he's been bang average every time I've watched him for Forest and in the youth teams. Clearly a decent young player but absolutely nothing special about him. To my eyes he's a couple of levels down from McTominay. If we can sell him then do so, otherwise a loan and hope he improves a lot.
I mean he did also set up the goal that got them promoted too. And the well timed tackle.

You seem to have forgot that bit?

Classical Mechanic

Have to admit after watching him for Forest and since he's broken through I have been disappointed. He'll have a good career but I'm not really seeing a United player.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
We should either sell him now when we’re likely going to make a good amount on him, or make sure he’s a part of the first team squad and kicks on his development. A bit part season with minutes here and there would be the worst thing for him and us.

Banana Republic

I mean he did also set up the goal that got them promoted too. And the well timed tackle.

You seem to have forgot that bit?
Although important and impressive contributions in the game, these and a few other top passes, were just moments out of the 90 minutes.
A lot of the first half, he recycled the ball back to defence, or sidewards most of the time, although that did help retain possession.
He faded to an almost invisible player for most of the 2nd half, becoming a chocolate teapot when Huddersfield had their spell of domination and pressure, early in the half.

Garner looks promising, but a lot of development and coaching is going to be needed if he’s to make it at the top level.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I can't believe some want him sold after the season he's just had. He should be with the squad in pre season so ten Hag can judge where he's at then they can decide if he should go out on loan in the PL or stay at United. He's a talented player, there's a reason why a lot of PL clubs are sniffing around him at the moment. If we put him up for loan there's going to be a lot of clubs in for him.

Bondi77

I can't believe some want him sold after the season he's just had. He should be with the squad in pre season so ten Hag can judge where he's at then they can decide if he should go out on loan in the PL or stay at United. He's a talented player, there's a reason why a lot of PL clubs are sniffing around him at the moment. If we put him up for loan there's going to be a lot of clubs in for him.
That is called common sense mate and I am sure that will be locked into Erik’s thoughts in the summer.

Pirlo'sBeard

We should loan him to Forest for another year. Gives us the opportunity to see how he handles the Premier League. He'll not get much game time with us.

Classical Mechanic

I think it's better to follow Chelsea's recent approach and sell with a buy back clause.

meamth

Our current central midfielders (Not CAM):
  • McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
We're in dire state and if we don't sign the right one this summer, we're fighting for bottom half of the table.

NoPace

We need a minimum of 4 central mids. Right now I'd say only Fred is locked in as one of those. Then you'd think we'll sign an 8 (ideally De Jong but who knows) and a DM (or Timber and play him at DM at least this season) and then there's one spot left for Garner and McTominay to fight for in training with Ten Hag and if Garner loses, he goes on loan back to Forest, but my guess is McTominay loses and he's sold.

city-puma

We need a minimum of 4 central mids. Right now I'd say only Fred is locked in as one of those. Then you'd think we'll sign an 8 (ideally De Jong but who knows) and a DM (or Timber and play him at DM at least this season) and then there's one spot left for Garner and McTominay to fight for in training with Ten Hag and if Garner loses, he goes on loan back to Forest, but my guess is McTominay loses and he's sold.
No way McT is sold. He is an important player for us even though he has some obvious flaws. Any player has flaw. Good coach will create a functional unit from those “flawed” individuals.

jeepers

I think we’ll keep McT as well. He seems like he would improve with proper coaching, and of course being played in the right role/position. People seem to forget he is not a deep midfielder who can play as DM/DLP. He’s a B2B midfielder and he’ll get one more chance under EtH this season. If he doesn’t adapt he will be gotten rid of next summer. We just can’t go out and buy a new 11 (including backups).

Imlegend

• McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
We're in dire state and if we don't sign the right one this summer, we're fighting for bottom half of the table.
I'd include Levitt in this list, he's had a successful season and also performed very well in yesterday's international

SirAF

Ageist
  • McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
Bloody hell at that list :lol:

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
  • McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
That is depressing :lol:

Ibi Dreams

It's absolutely crazy how we have let it come to that. Manchester United, one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Nicolarra90

• McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
VdB? Do you consider him a CAM?

mu4c_20le

• McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
Our current right backs (not CB who can do a job there)
  • Aaron Wan Bissaka
  • Diogo Dalot
I'm sure we can do this for a couple other positions.

didz

• McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
I'd argue that Perreira and Hannibal are both better suited to wide or attacking midfield roles.

Basically we need to replace Matic as a sitter and Pogba as the deep creator we wished he would be, but with players better suited and more readily available.

NoPace

No way McT is sold. He is an important player for us even though he has some obvious flaws. Any player has flaw. Good coach will create a functional unit from those “flawed” individuals.
If he played for a Prem side outside the top 6 would we be talking about buying him? Personally, I think his flaws are wrong for a Ten Hag style team. If we'd appointed a different manager like Conte, then sure, keep him around as a backup.

I could definitely see him getting one more year because we're so short in the position, with a CM/Fred and DM/McTominay setup and Garner going on loan, but I don't think he'll survive the Ten Hag era.

For what it's worth, reporting suggests Ten Hag and Mclaren agree with you and see him as a useful player who can improve, so maybe they think he can do the job a similarly sized player in Edson Alvarez has done for Ajax as their DM, but my guess is it will prove to be a 1-2 year thing at most. He just doesn't recognize danger well and he's not good at linking play in tight spaces.

M Bison

Supports
York City
  • McTominay
  • Fred
  • Hannibal
  • Perreira
  • Garner
it’s only when you see it written down that you realise what a sorry state of affairs it is. After all the money spent were left with that, 2 of which have been promoted from the youth team this season.

Godfather

No PL title winning team will have a McT starting in CM for them

city-puma

If he played for a Prem side outside the top 6 would we be talking about buying him? Personally, I think his flaws are wrong for a Ten Hag style team. If we'd appointed a different manager like Conte, then sure, keep him around as a backup.

I could definitely see him getting one more year because we're so short in the position, with a CM/Fred and DM/McTominay setup and Garner going on loan, but I don't think he'll survive the Ten Hag era.

For what it's worth, reporting suggests Ten Hag and Mclaren agree with you and see him as a useful player who can improve, so maybe they think he can do the job a similarly sized player in Edson Alvarez has done for Ajax as their DM, but my guess is it will prove to be a 1-2 year thing at most. He just doesn't recognize danger well and he's not good at linking play in tight spaces.
It’s hard to say what he could be used by ETH. Let’s see what’s going on. For me, I don’t think it ready to draw a conclusion yet.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Our current right backs (not CB who can do a job there)
  • Aaron Wan Bissaka
  • Diogo Dalot
I'm sure we can do this for a couple other positions.
You only have two right backs in a team normally, anyway. Even away from player quality, the absolute lack of depth in midfield is a must fix. We need two new central midfielders.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You only have two right backs in a team normally, anyway. Even away from player quality, the absolute lack of depth in midfield is a must fix. We need two new central midfielders.
If numbers are all you care about we have dozens of CMs, just most of them are unproven at first team level. Fact is we have 2 RBs and neither of them are in the top 10 RBs in the league. Unless somebody can get Dalot some magic boots he can cross in then we need a new quality RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.