James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Well, if Pereira weren't there, he would by definition play more, no?
Pereira played in the 10 too. Are you saying Garner would have played a full 90 if Pereira wasn't there, instead of Ole grabbing another kid to make up the numbers? (like he did with some of the CBs) Garner might have played more if Matic and Donny were injured. I dont' really see your point.

The point of the OP was he has no future here because Pereira got a handful of minutes over him. How about Garner just didn't impress in preseason? It's not the end of the world.

Mickson

Pereira played in the 10 too. Are you saying Garner would have played a full 90 if Pereira wasn't there, instead of Ole grabbing another kid to make up the numbers? (like he did with some of the CBs) Garner might have played more if Matic and Donny were injured. I dont' really see your point.

The point of the OP was he has no future here because Pereira got a handful of minutes over him. How about Garner just didn't impress in preseason? It's not the end of the world.
Nope, I said Garner would've played more if Pereira wasn't there. Surely that's a fair assessment?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Nope, I said Garner would've played more if Pereira wasn't there. Surely that's a fair assessment?
Pereira only played more minutes against Brentford and Everton. He played in the 10 position vs Everton and was replaced by Bruno.

Maybe Garner would've gotten 17 more minutes against Brentford. Incredible. Or maybe Galbraith/Levitt/Matic would've played more. Would've/could've/should've...

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I had high hopes for this lad, but he’s shown absolutely nothing to convince me that he’s good enough for a CL Club:

Mickson

Andreas Pereira gets picked before him. Of course he wants to leave and I think he is doing the right thing if he does. Won't get a chance here.

criticalanalysis

I've never got the hype. Even watching him for our youth teams I thought he looked average. I really don't get how he got the hype he got.

Galbraith and Mejbri are our only two central midfielders who look to have the potential to make it here, imo.
Ok phew, glad I'm not just being overly critical or something. I remember in his previous thread, somebody posted a touch highlights clip from one of his matches at Forrest and I was more impressed with the right back.

I mean anyone can have a turn around giving the right circumstances and environment like McT with his immense physical growth and big game mentality or Fletcher's motivation and finding his role leading up to that that incredible 18 month period but I've not seen one elite attribute or moment of class from Garner. Unfortunately, he's not going to get the game time or personal development to get anywhere near that stage at this time and moment with Utd.

Mejbri looks class but again he will need lots of game time.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He was Forest's best player last season. He'll most definitely make it in the game, just whether or not he'll do so at United. To be given a chance constitutes a run of games. Fred was given a season and a half to make it here. I think we can afford 5-6 games to Garner (assuming we do not buy any midfielder this summer) to see how he takes to it.
Fred came in as a senior player competing in senior football for more than 6 seasons. It's a huge difference. Garner will get his chance if he's good enough and I agree he will be a great profeesional footballer somewhere. But being that at United is very rare, so we should be ready for disappointment. But looking at how McTominay developped Garner always has a chance. Mentality plays big part at top level though.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Andreas Pereira gets picked before him. Of course he wants to leave and I think he is doing the right thing if he does. Won't get a chance here.
If he and Andreas both left the club today they will be bought by very different calibre of clubs. Garner isn’t owed anything, and a little foresight would tell him Andreas won’t be around for long anyway.

Mickson

If he and Andreas both left the club today they will be bought by very different calibre of clubs. Garner isn’t owed anything, and a little foresight would tell him Andreas won’t be around for long anyway.
Pereira is more than five years older too. Well, it depends on how you see it. The club doesn't HAVE to do anything. But if they pat themselves on the chest and say that they give youth players a chance, and also say that James Garner is one of the most highly-rated players, then yes, it's a little strange.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Pereira is more than five years older too. Well, it depends on how you see it. The club doesn't HAVE to do anything. But if they pat themselves on the chest and say that they give youth players a chance, and also say that James Garner is one of the most highly-rated players, then yes, it's a little strange.
Top clubs buy top young talent too, to be fair. I don’t think the club is saying Garner is anything. That’s for him to demonstrate. But for him to stamp his feet because he is not ahead of Pereira in particular is odd, due to little justification as to why he should be ahead of Pereira is all.

Mickson

Top clubs buy top young talent too, to be fair. I don’t think the club is saying Garner is anything. That’s for him to demonstrate. But for him to stamp his feet because he is not ahead of Pereira in particular is odd, due to little justification as to why he should be ahead of Pereira is all.
Well, maybe so, but at least from the club's perspective: Garner can be something for United in the future. Pereira can't. At this time it feels like none of them will be here in two years though.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was there any suggesting of him being unhappy because Pereira played ahead of him in pre-season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There was a suggestion that he should be.
Ah. I doubt he is throwing his toys out of the pram. Hopefully he'll get an ideal loan move if he's not making the bench before the end of the month.

lost7

Would be gutted if we lose him on a free, he's got very obvious qualities and to me looks much more promising that Scott did at the same stage

Scholsey2004

Personally i think rejecting the contract is a power play from him. He knows the club wont loan him out when he's in his final year so he stays at the club who have a year to either give him his chances or he walks. Its a pretty bold strategy but at 20 it certainly makes sense. At some point you need someone to make a decision on whether youve got a future at the club and from the players perspective ideally thats before youve wasted half your career.

lysglimt

Scout
If rumours are to be believed - Garner has accepted a 4 year contract and will head out to Forest on-loan

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If rumours are to be believed - Garner has accepted a 4 year contract and will head out to Forest on-loan
When all is said and done, probably smart to send him somewhere he’s liked and utilised in his correct position. This season could be a very good indication of his ceiling.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yeah the Forest loan worked well last season. They seem to be in a bit of trouble but still good for him I think.

Bondi77

Another full season in the Championship and then he can come back and be the DM we want if he continues his development or we will buy one once Pogba sails off to the free agent sunset.

Leonzo1

Signed a new 4 year contract, loaned out to Forest again. He was excellent for them last season so another full year and he'll be ready for our first team. Maybe he won't be good enough but experience and maturity wise he will be ready.

Next season:

Lingard, James, Mata, Andreas, Matic, Cavani - OUT.
Garner, Shoretire, Amad, Hannibal - IN

Alemar

Do we have Forest supporters here? How does fans’ society react on the return of Garner this season?

Drainy

Got a big job on his hands. If he can turn around that side, maybe he has a chance of stepping up into a United midfield.

Might be a character building loan.

Highfather_24

He bosses it in loans and looks like a lost kid when playing for us. Not good enough, sadly. I have more hope for Ethan Galbraith.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Not the right club for him, unfortunately, whilst his performances are good he's going absolutely nowhere with Forrest. He should be on loan at a bigger club. There's no pressure or competitiveness with where they currently are.

foolsgold

Not the right club for him, unfortunately, whilst his performances are good he's going absolutely nowhere with Forrest. He should be on loan at a bigger club. There's no pressure or competitiveness with where they currently are.
Not sure I agree, the Championship is a competitive league with a lot of good teams. Having him and Chong in that league playing 40 games can only be good for them and will give us a benchmark of where they are.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t know mate, they’re bottom of the league having lost their first four matches. For a club like Forest, there’ll be massive pressure on them to improve that.

WhyYouGottaBeSoRuud?

Signed a new 4 year contract, loaned out to Forest again. He was excellent for them last season so another full year and he'll be ready for our first team. Maybe he won't be good enough but experience and maturity wise he will be ready.

Next season:

Lingard, James, Mata, Andreas, Matic, Cavani - OUT.
Garner, Shoretire, Amad, Hannibal - IN
Why James out? He's a good squad player.

siw2007

Good news for the young lad. Signing a contract with us gives us some security with him but he can get another year of playing time to help bring his game on, he didn’t have the most successful of pre seasons but that is okay, he needs more experience and this loan under a good manager is a good call.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Pointless. He was superb on loan last season, came back and not looked ready. Why loan him to the same place for a year again?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s going to be out on loan for another few seasons yet. It’s up to him to show that he’s worth a PL loan next season because a third season in the championship isn’t going to be much use to him or us. It’s a big ask in that Forrest team as things stand. He was really good last year though.

Dante

Average bang
I'm somewhat disappointed, to be honest. He should have tried to prove himself at a higher level.

We already know he's good enough to be a regular in the Championship. He could have learned more from a PL loan - even if that meant playing fewer minutes.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
6 month's experience he otherwise wouldn't have had. It's quite simple. Just let him play and see where we are when he's done there.
That was good, but why more of the same is my point. He was already one of their best players, came back and didnt look ready. Do we now want him to become captain/assistant manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.