James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

GueRed

Same issues, doesnt assert himself enough in games.

Still hopeful that will come with more experience playing first team football..

marktan

Insulting another member
He would be an asset to a lower level PL club but he is not PL level yet?????
WTF are you talking about?
As in not ready for us, or an upper level PL team. It's not hard to understand what I'm saying, he'd be good for a team where he only has to defend, but not for one where he needs to get involved in the build up play.

Basically he just needs to impose himself more, get involved in the build up and learn through trial and error. Not too dissimilar to Declan Rice who has started to really increase his contribution in the build up play.

You're not expressing as "an opinion". You are talking as if it's fact when really you're just talking out of your @r$e
And you're an idiot of the highest order. No opinion or anything relevant to the thread, just throwing insults for absolutely no reason.

Last edited:

foolsgold

Fairly decent highlight reel against Arsenal.

Always liked him when I watched the U23s, what he needs is game time, if he's playing every week at forest that's good. Maybe 18 months away from our first team on a regular basis although it's hard to say he'd offer much less than Mctominay now

Ekeke

From the highlights - good freekick and very good play sprinting back from the attacking third to get back and block Nketiah's break away shot. Showed decent pace there and more importantly a willingness to do the dirty work without the ball.

marktan

I actually think Forest have a decent chance at the play offs. They play good football.

If they don't get promoted then another loan at Forest isn't bad of an idea. They're building a good team and Steve Cooper plays attacking football with 2 holding midfielders, which is a perfect setup for Garner.

captaincantona

Same issues, doesnt assert himself enough in games.

Still hopeful that will come with more experience playing first team football..
Not sure if you can expect a midfielder from a lower league team against PL opposition, in a game where they had 30% possession or whatever...to “assert” himself. That would require being able to dictate which requires movement around you and options. He won’t have those in that type of game. What he did show was a solid frame, excellent positional sense nipping in to break up play and composure. All things we lack in DM. He didn’t at all look out of place against Arsenal. A solid PL side.

Long term, Potential to be a More Jorginho type of player IMO. Just recycling play (not to that level of course).

It’s hard to see how we can give him the minutes to bring him on so we should all be following Forrest and hoping they get promoted!

Bondi77

As in not ready for us, or an upper level PL team. It's not hard to understand what I'm saying, he'd be good for a team where he only has to defend, but not for one where he needs to get involved in the build up play.

Basically he just needs to impose himself more, get involved in the build up and learn through trial and error. Not too dissimilar to Declan Rice who has started to really increase his contribution in the build up play.

And you're an idiot of the highest order. No opinion or anything relevant to the thread, just throwing insults for absolutely no reason. Sad little man.
I can only assume you have just started watching him play this season if you think he does not get involved in build up play or make any contribution to a teams attacking play;

marktan

I can only assume you have just started watching him play this season if you think he does not get involved in build up play or make any contribution to a teams attacking play;
No I've kept tabs on him last year too. I agree with you that he can do it, just that he needs to do it more and to a higher standard consistently. He's still young though so he'll learn and grow.

Mickson

I actually think Forest have a decent chance at the play offs. They play good football.

If they don't get promoted then another loan at Forest isn't bad of an idea. They're building a good team and Steve Cooper plays attacking football with 2 holding midfielders, which is a perfect setup for Garner.
I talked to a Forest fan at a pub. He said they are better now, but didn't believe they would reach the playoff. Then again, a few minutes later I saw him snorting cocaine from the toilet seat so I don't know if he is that reliable.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
No. He is from Birkenhead.
Which is a BTEC Scouser if we're being honest.

He is from a family of Liverpool fans. I'm also like 90% sure I've seen that Gerrard is his idol.

macheda14

I talked to a Forest fan at a pub. He said they are better now, but didn't believe they would reach the playoff. Then again, a few minutes later I saw him snorting cocaine from the toilet seat so I don't know if he is that reliable.
Those who do it straight from the seat know the truth of the world in all its grim glory. Those who do it from a clean surface are ignorant to the bleak realities of life.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Carrick at 21/22 wasn’t good enough for us. He paid his dues with West Ham and Spurs and even by the time he got here so many people were asking what does he actually do. Players need so many games to fulfil their potential which is something we naturally struggle with providing. Squad players at big clubs have prematurely hit their ceiling. I’d rather be a big player for a Forest or Norwich for a few years and work my way to mid table PL than playing a bit part at a big club and going the opposite way

Wing Attack Plan R

I like how Garner looks comfortable receiving the ball under pressure and is not bothered by having to play his way out of danger. I'd be happy if Ralf brought him back this window and started using him, I think our squad needs it and I think Garner is good enough to at least push those in the starting lineup if not overtake them.

city-puma

He looks faster and more athletic here than previous times I've seen him. Seems to be developing the physical side of his game nicely.
Right, Championship is the perfect place to develop that part of game. He has done very well already. When can we give him an opportunity? I hope it not too long.

Ogaranya

He is average, there is nothing exceptional about him except some low risk side way passing and weak tackling.

Ethan Galbraith is a more exciting prospect than him.

AltiUn

He is average, there is nothing exceptional about him except some low risk side way passing and weak tackling.

Ethan Galbraith is a more exciting prospect than him.
Maybe that’s correct but Garner’s currently playing for Championship play off chasers while Galbraith is playing for bottom of League One Doncaster, Garner is playing at the level closest to United between the two.

Ogaranya

Maybe that’s correct but Garner’s currently playing for Championship play off chasers while Galbraith is playing for bottom of League One Doncaster, Garner is playing at the level closest to United between the two.
Let us not look at the clubs they play for and focus on their individual attributes.

Garner is just another Cleverly clone especially when it comes to keeping things safe and tidy with no technical contribution to influence games from the middle of the park.

Galbraith is potentially our next Scholes if nurtured deeply, watch his games and see the inbuilt ability to dictate games as a deep lying playmaker with those his long range passing.

Watch both of them and rate.

Foxbatt

He has to play a lot more short passing that he can do thru the lines. He seems to have a good long pass and a mean free kick but unless you can do the short passing too in the PL you will not be able to cope up.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Let us not look at the clubs they play for and focus on their individual attributes.

Garner is just another Cleverly clone especially when it comes to keeping things safe and tidy with no technical contribution to influence games from the middle of the park.

Galbraith is potentially our next Scholes if nurtured deeply, watch his games and see the inbuilt ability to dictate games as a deep lying playmaker with those his long range passing.

Very different players. Very different talents.

Garner is more of a Carrick-type of player. Funny enough, he too was very underrated at Man Utd for a few years.

AltiUn

Galbraith's a good player but he's quickly found himself becoming very overrated on these boards. Garner is very versatile, having excelled at CB, DM and B2B for the U18s and U23s whilst also captaining England and United at various levels. I like Galbraith but I've never found myself thinking he was the best midfielder out of himself, Levitt or Garner.

I don't know why you'd discount the clubs they're playing for, there's only 2 months between them in terms of age and Garner's playing well at a higher level presently. Why we didn't send Galbraith to a Championship club is anyone's guess.

Galbraith is a tidy player, he's got very good ball retention and moves it around well. His passing range is solid but was never as good as either Garner or Levitt's. He's more expressive with his passing and more daring at attempting to play a killer ball, which is why I prefer him as an #8 to a #6 whereas Garner was born to play as a #6. I also feel Garner dictates the tempo far better than any of our other young midfielders are capable of doing, it's one of his best attributes. I think reducing Garner's game down to someone like Cleverley is unfair and untrue. Garner's a very good DM and Galbraith's a well-rounded CM.

I'm a regular academy watcher so I've watched both players plenty, no need to assume I don't just because I disagree with you.

Lost bear

Those who do it straight from the seat know the truth of the world in all its grim glory. Those who do it from a clean surface are ignorant to the bleak realities of life.
:llol:

whoops, meant that to be an icon!

Bondi77

I see that the Forest fans are raving about Garner again after a bit of a slow start to the season. It will be interesting to see if the new manager will be prepared to give him a chance next season.

MyBloodIsRed

So am I right in thinking Garner could be the next Carrick? I get he’s only 20 and it’ll take time and luck to get close to Carricks level.

NoPace

Why ever do it off the seat? There's other ways! This horrifies me as a plastic (Canadian).

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He needs to impose himself on games. Every time I watch he's slightly passive, waiting for the ball to come to him rather than demanding for it. But when he has it you can tell he's technically very very good. He could be a very good player if he starts "playmaking" more.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
They played him as an AM last game oddly, anyway he's been decent for them at mainly DM he hasn't ripped up any trees or looked too good for that level though. Can't understand the Cleverley comparisons at all as he does a lot more of the defensive work, he's good at reading the game and intercepting, he will get stuck in and have a tackle and will try the hollywood passes. All in all he looks a decent player that does the hard work well and can pass well, a lot will be instructions from the manager on when to do what etc will be interesting in pre season to see what the new manager sees in him. Not sure about the Galbraith comparison either as they don't play the same style or position....

Marwood

I watched Cleverley come through the U23's and he never really stood out. You wouldn't have said he'll make it.

Garner on the other hand did look very impressive at that level. Always in top two or three players if not the best.

On top of that, quite different players.

lysglimt

Scout
I watched Cleverley come through the U23's and he never really stood out. You wouldn't have said he'll make it.

Garner on the other hand did look very impressive at that level. Always in top two or three players if not the best.

On top of that, quite different players.
True but Cleverley moved around a bit - the first time I watched Cleverley play, he was a left back.

lysglimt

Scout
He needs to impose himself on games. Every time I watch he's slightly passive, waiting for the ball to come to him rather than demanding for it. But when he has it you can tell he's technically very very good. He could be a very good player if he starts "playmaking" more.
Yesterday was an impossible game for both him and Grabban. Forest were awful. They hardly managed to get the ball near the Cardiff penalty box during the first 75 minutes. So Garner was poor - but he was not alone

Status
Not open for further replies.