Height: 182cm
Position: Midfielder - Defensive Midfield
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Triple S Sports
Squad Number: #37
Contract Until: Jun 30, 2024
Contract option: Club option 1 year

Real Name

Talked to a friend who's a football journo and knows stuff cause parallel to his journo career he works for a firm which tracks players for clubs and make analysis. Anyway we talked about England not really producing technically sound players in midfield, compared to Croatia for example. One of the reasons he mentioned is the the accent on speed and strength in England when training kids and playing on pitches, as opposed to smaller pitches in Europe. Anyway that's for another thread but I remember him specifically mentioning Garner as the closest to Modrić playing and style wise in England. The other player he mentioned was Mount.

Olecurls99

Probably not gonna get a look in. Especially if we sign Frenkie. We'd have Frenkie, Eriksen, Donny, Bruno, Fred and Scotty ahead of him.

I see yet another loan from Charity United

ForeverRed1

Probably not gonna get a look in. Especially if we sign Frenkie. We'd have Frenkie, Eriksen, Donny, Bruno, Fred and Scotty ahead of him.

we desperately need some physicality in that midfield.

Trex

Bruno, Eriksen and Donny would be part of the front four, his competition is Mcfred and potentially De Jong.

Olecurls99

Bruno, Eriksen and Donny would be part of the front four, his competition is Mcfred and potentially De Jong.
I can see Donny and even Eriksen getting a go at number 8 under Hag. He won't be as conservative and cautious as Ole.

Ole would only play De Jong at number 10 for example.

Von Mistelroum

He could potentially get a lot of minutes this season if De Jong doesn't come off (and that seems at least 50/50). Surely Ten Hag won't stick with McFred so he'll be the only viable option alongside probably Fred.

Trex

I can see Donny and even Eriksen getting a go at number 8 under Hag. He won't be as conservative and cautious as Ole.

Ole would only play De Jong at number 10 for example.
I think our front four options would be Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Sancho, Elanga, Eriksen, VDB, Ronaldo replacement.
In a fluid set up.
Midfield would be Fred, Mctominay, De Jong and Garner.
Even in possession based football you still need 1 water carrier in the side to bring balance, I might be wrong but we'll see.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with us loaning Henderson to Forest that means we cannot loan Garner back to them this season as you can only loan one player to one team. It's a pity as a year as a regular with Forest in the premier league would have been good for his development.
Perhaps with our Europa league, league cup fixtures etc he can become our midweek FDJ?

Trex

Correct me if I'm wrong but with us loaning Henderson to Forest that means we cannot loan Garner back to them this season as you can only loan one player to one team. It's a pity as a year as a regular with Forest in the premier league would have been good for his development.
Perhaps with our Europa league, league cup fixtures etc he can become our midweek FDJ?
Yes EPL rules don't allow multiple loans to the same club, in a passing heavy system I can see him possibly making it as De jong long term partner.
ETH is good at integrating youth into the first team set up so fingers crossed.

Olecurls99

I think our front four options would be Rashford, Martial, Bruno, Sancho, Elanga, Eriksen, VDB, Ronaldo replacement.
In a fluid set up.
Midfield would be Fred, Mctominay, De Jong and Garner.
Even in possession based football you still need 1 water carrier in the side to bring balance, I might be wrong but we'll see.
With those front 4 options I can see Erik employing a diamond a lot of the time. Rashford, Sancho and Elanga are the only real wide players there and I can't see Erik playing Elanga ahead of Eriksen or Donny.

If either Rashford or Sancho are out, the diamond might come into play.

Trex

With those front 4 options I can see Erik employing a diamond a lot of the time. Rashford, Sancho and Elanga are the only real wide players there and I can't see Erik playing Elanga ahead of Eriksen or Donny.

If either Rashford or Sancho are out, the diamond might come into play.
I think Eriksen would play a lot from the right in a Mata like manner, in a 4231 ETH likes his front four narrow, Eriksen played that role a lot a Spurs starting on the right and drifting narrow. Plus Ronaldo might be replaced by Antony and not a center forward.

Skills

Snitch
With 5 subs, he should get a good number of minutes. 5 subs allows you to manage your in game intensity and energy levels, and it would be negligent to not use the players already at the club.

Your subs don't need to bring on like for like quality in that scenario.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We had 5 subs 2 years ago and very few managers even bothered to make more than they’d normally do. I don’t know why people keep referencing this, it’s extremely unlikely we’ll see clubs fully utilising all 5 or even more than the normal 3 max.

dutchred

I can see him playing alongside Frenkie, competing with Fred. Bruno will probably play more forward with Eriksen and vd Beek competing for the 10 spot, which still leaves Mejbri and Mac as back ups

Bwuk

I think he'll be de Jongs back up if we can sign him.

Olecurls99

I think Eriksen would play a lot from the right in a Mata like manner, in a 4231 ETH likes his front four narrow, Eriksen played that role a lot a Spurs starting on the right and drifting narrow. Plus Ronaldo might be replaced by Antony and not a center forward.
Yeah I can see him playing technical players in those positions too. We'll keep ball Kings. The difference with the Van Gaal years will be that we have creators there as well. Bruno, Eriksen, Sancho even Fred and hopefully Frenkie

That would be some glorious midfield 5 to go into games with.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Very interested to see what Ten Hag can do with him this season. Probably more wishful thinking than anything, but hoping he can make an impact.

Mr PG

if Donny, Fred and Scotty can get in ahead of Garner (and they won't) then he doesn't deserve to be playing for us right now...simple..

Hoof the ball

Before anyone starts organising loans for Garner, Hannibal, Garnacho, etc, let's see how they do under ten Hag in pre-season. Before we start speculating on what we think they need, let's have a bit of optimism that ten Hag might find them useful to him this season and befitting of his system and philosophy, in a way that Ole and Rangnick wouldn't have.

Let's at least learn a lesson from Barca in one respect. The guts to try youth in some meaningful first-team games to first see if it clicks. Afterall, I fear that were we Barca fans, we'd be rushing Gavi, Pedri and Fati off to loans at Celta Vigo to prove themselves, but it doesn't always require that. Sometimes it just requires committing to rotation and minutes where they presently are.

padzilla

Hipster
He's probably the first midfielder on the team sheet right now - which is saying something given how unproven he is.

Fred, McTominay and VdB just aren't good enough, we can't going with them as regular starters if we want to change performances.

sillwuka

He's probably the first midfielder on the team sheet right now - which is saying something given how unproven he is.

Fred, McTominay and VdB just aren't good enough, we can't going with them as regular starters if we want to change performances.
He has a long way to go before starting for us.

Olecurls99

if Donny, Fred and Scotty can get in ahead of Garner (and they won't) then he doesn't deserve to be playing for us right now...simple..
He might oust one of them but I can't see him getting ahead of all 3 and into the first team, which means he'll only get the Europa and league cup games.

arthurka

Think he might surprise some, might become a useful player for us under ETH.

Red00012

He really isn’t

Just because we have seen Fred / McTominay been poor last season doesn’t mean a guy playing championship last season is automatically better than them.

Mingus

He really isn’t

Just because we have seen Fred / McTominay been poor last season doesn’t mean a guy playing championship last season is automatically better than them.
There’s a possibility though that he’s a better fit for DM/pivot than those 2 players who played there last season.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I have high hopes for Garner and hope very much that he is kept in the squad this year and earns a real chance to stake a claim to be a starter.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If there's any truth to the Luckhust story that we might not sign a DM (I highly, highly, doubt it), it must mean he sees a lot of potential in Garner.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
If ETH wants to asses Garner, how is Charlie fecking Savage getting game time before Garner against Liverpool? Surely this is what you’d want to see Garner’s level against?
Garner didn't train with the group yesterday so I can only assume he's injured.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
If ETH wants to asses Garner, how is Charlie fecking Savage getting game time before Garner against Liverpool? Surely this is what you’d want to see Garner’s level against?
You want him to play an injured Garner? Doesn’t sound a good idea

Rob Bowman

Anyone know what Garner's situation is?

I assumed injured but haven't seen anything definite.

Thanks in advance!!

Status
Not open for further replies.