James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

The only natural No.6 at the club.

So obviously we don't play him and instead use a player very much unsuited to the role.

It'll take a bit of time with him, he doesn't seem the most naturally confident player. There'll be nervy mistakes.

But he's so much more suited to the role than anybody else.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he doesn't start next weekend then he needs to hand in a transfer request because if Mctominay is seen as the better option then you know you're not the one for the manager.

Skills

Snitch
I'm not against that, and you are right that we could get a good fee now - but ultimately, we are not a selling club. Our first priority isn't to obtain the best fee we can for our players, it is to have good players. We've not really been able to have a look, even in pre-season, whether he is of any use yet. There are a lot of talented English midfielders coming through, and I know the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool have done well in the market selling these players - but they sell players who they accept will not realistically get a chance with them due to the quality in the first team. We are not in such a position here.
The thing is though, players don't get better off the bench and we shouldn't be giving first team minutes to develop players unless they're genuinely super talented (Greenwood level of ability).

To me it's unfair on the player, and it's also harming the club by just hoarding players without a real first team plan for them.
We should have sold him to Forrest for £15-20m and put a buy-back clause in there.

We're not the club that does that though... we're the club that holds onto our youngsters until they're worthless.
Exactly, if we sell him for £20m and put a £35m buy back clause into his contract is that really such a bad deal? If he actually does become good enough for us, we'd basically be able to buy him for net £15m. If he's not good enough, well we've got £20m that we might never have got. Within 3 seasons we'd know if we ever want him back, and it's mostly at the risk of Nottingham Forest in that scenario.

dove

The only natural No.6 at the club.

So obviously we don't play him and instead use a player very much unsuited to the role.

It'll take a bit of time with him, he doesn't seem the most naturally confident player. There'll be nervy mistakes.

But he's so much more suited to the role than anybody else.
He is not good enough, will probably never be. Not the answer we need.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The thing is though, players don't get better off the bench and we shouldn't be giving first team minutes to develop players unless they're genuinely super talented (Greenwood level of ability).

To me it's unfair on the player, and it's also harming the club by just hoarding players without a real first team plan for them.

Exactly, if we sell him for £20m and put a £35m buy back clause into his contract is that really such a bad deal? If he actually does become good enough for us, we'd basically be able to buy him for net £15m. If he's not good enough, well we've got £20m that we might never have got. Within 3 seasons we'd know if we ever want him back, and it's mostly at the risk of Nottingham Forest in that scenario.
I'm not against it, and I have asked for him to be sold over the past 12 months. Our midfield is just so dire at the moment that's all. But you are right, a £20m deal would be good business. We should have sold Axel and Henderson years ago too, and Brandon Williams.

Marwood

Doesn't really matter right now if he is or isn't.

All that matters is can he be a better No 6 than McFred.

Answer is yes because he actually is a No.6.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doesn't really matter right now if he is or isn't.

All that matters is can he be a better No 6 than McFred.

Answer is yes because he actually is a No.6.
I believe he played most of the time as no 8 or box to box during his loan at Forest. Didn’t he also play as no 8 in U21 since I do remember he scored lot of in U21 by arriving late in the box? Although, this role is where McTominay played yesterday, so he should be just fine to replace McTominay.

MattofManchester

My simple take is that he's a natural 6. Right now, we have two severely underwhelming players in McFred who have been awful. Then we have 3 No. 10s as our only midfielders.

Give him a go, if it fails, send him on loan or sell him. If he shows promise, give him a go and see where it goes.

I don't understand why we're so afraid to give youngsters a chance these days.

It really isn't like it could be any worse.

Last edited:

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I believe he played most of the time as no 8 or box to box during his loan at Forest. Didn’t he also play as no 8 in U21 since I do remember he scored lot of in U21 by arriving late in the box? Although, this role is where McTominay played yesterday, so he should be just fine to replace McTominay.
No he played 6 - Ryan Yates played 8 - last season we were able to press very high so he was in and around the box anyway. Probably the biggest of our many issues on Saturday was a Garner shaped hole in the midfield and getting the ball forward quickly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No he played 6 - Ryan Yates played 8 - last season we were able to press very high so he was in and around the box anyway. Probably the biggest of our many issues on Saturday was a Garner shaped hole in the midfield and getting the ball forward quickly.
If a player plays as no 6, he shouldn’t be allowed to be in the box but should hold his position or stay deeper. You don’t see that from Fabinho or Rodri or Busquest.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If I were him I'd force a move if I couldn't get a start or some more substantial minutes in the next few games. Last year at Forest he showed he is capable of starting for at least a lower level PL team.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
How much do you reckon Forrest would have spent on him in the Summer if we were willing to sell? You'd imagine more then O'Brien at £10mil

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
How much do you reckon Forrest would have spent on him in the Summer if we were willing to sell? You'd imagine more then O'Brien at £10mil
Yes, more then £10m but O’Brien had a release clause. The going rate for top end Champ players, unproven in the prem, seems to be £13m - £17m. The Djed Spence transfer is probably a good indicator.

dutchred

If Erik does not think he is better than Mac then we should sell him. We have Iqbal and Savage almost ready and Gore and Mainoo in the younger age group.

Lecland07

I don't really care whether he turns out any good or not. I would still prefer to watch him play than others in the team. It is far more interesting to watch an unknown player, to see how they develop, rather than the rubbish players we know everything about.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The rumour on Trentside is that we are going to put in a bid for Jimmy.

ThanksBoss26

One of the fanzines I was reading at the game on Sunday said we've had significant interest in him this summer both for loan and permanent moves.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Permanent. We already have Hendo there.
It could technically be a loan with obligation to buy but i don’t see that happening - besides I think we are after a LWB on loan from Chelsea which would be our two prem loans used.

Trequarista10

Too early to tell what ETH's opinion of him is. He missed a lot of pre-season, we were always going to start with Fred and McTominay against Brighton. Cant read too much into it. We'll see if her gets gametime in the coming weeks, or if we look to move him out.

marktan

Sale with a low buyback clause would be ideal. Hell even a £10m sale with a £30m buyback works.

The worst case scenario is the current one - he sits on the bench when he could've been starting in the PL. We saw the exact same scenario play out with Tuanzabe and he's regressed massively for it.

He's not going to get many games for United, he's not refined enough currently for it.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Problem is, neither is McT and that’s what people can’t get their heads around. He isn’t the standard you should be looking at, neither is McT but he shouldn’t be used as a measurement of comparison.. for obvious reasons.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Too early to tell what ETH's opinion of him is. He missed a lot of pre-season, we were always going to start with Fred and McTominay against Brighton. Cant read too much into it. We'll see if her gets gametime in the coming weeks, or if we look to move him out.
looking at you fixtures, you’ve got Brentford, city and Southampton before the window closes. If he doesn’t get game time against at least Southampton, I reckon he’ll be open to leaving.

CM

We need to sell him. If he's not made enough of an impression to displace either of Fred or McTominay, the signs are fairly ominous.

Forest are chucking around silly money for the likes of Morgan Gibbs-White. Get them on the blower

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I would think 25m would be a good price. Young, talented, but destined to sit on the bench here
If Arthur Daley was an agent! A young talented top end Champ player with no prem experience. £15mil. I tell you what we’ll take Ronaldo off your hands - stop him stinking out the place out if you throw in Jimmy?

NZT-One

Sale with a low buyback clause would be ideal. Hell even a £10m sale with a £30m buyback works.

The worst case scenario is the current one - he sits on the bench when he could've been starting in the PL. We saw the exact same scenario play out with Tuanzabe and he's regressed massively for it.

He's not going to get many games for United, he's not refined enough currently for it.
I agree with that. There is no point to burn him through when the United midfield is in shambles and the whole fan base is looking for a saviour. Doesn't mean that Garner can't have a carreer here but I haven't seen anything to suggest, he is such a big talent that he will have a positive impact. If possible loan him to a PL side or another top league side (where we get assurances he'll play) or go for something permanent with buyback. I know United is about giving youth a chance and all that. But right now it is a sharks pool, we have to get some stability back, right now isn't the time to bring youngsters through on top of it. This isn't me saying he isn't good enough, this is saying there is no way he could be good enough what we need right now. Get experience, get game time.

BlahRules

Europa games and premier league games will be every 3/4 days soon and he will be getting games as we need bodies more than ever

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Unless there's a plan for next season move him on permanently while he still has value.

Mylock

How have you come to the assumption that he's not good enough? Is it from all the opportunities he has been given in the first team? Just like mcfred.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Absolute masterstroke by Murtough, as a genius one said "another one".
Yeah, something which I never understood. They would have accepted a loan 100 % and Hendo could have been given to someone else.

ole@thewheel

The only positive of us ending up not signing FDJ would be giving Garner more minutes this season.

He is the closest thing we got to a FDJ in our current team. Heck he even (kinda) looks like him!

In Rainbows

The only positive of us ending up not signing FDJ would be giving Garner more minutes this season.

He is the closest thing we got to a FDJ in our current team. Heck he even (kinda) looks like him!
He doesn't play like FDJ. Never played like him in the youth teams either. FDJ is like a 10, playing as a 6 (like Iqbal). He can dribble and progress the ball through that. They have through balls in them compared to the average midfielder.

Garner was a talented youth player who was always the more defensive presence compared to his midfield partners. Unlike McTominay, he is much better distributor of the ball, and he is more defensively sound (also aggressive). His technique is better, but it's not outstanding. If you had to make a style comparison, maybe a Carrick would fit the bill (pre-2013 season where Carrick was at his best in regards to distribution).

Based on his preseason, Garner is still not looking like he did at youth level in regards to displaying all his tools. He still needs to develop to show the level of passing he did at youth level. However, he will probably show more effort in getting back than McTominay and he does have the potential to develop a good passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.