James Garner image 37

James Garner England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stacks

With all due respect, both of you are overrating McT and underrating the championship, in my opinion

McT has played over a hundred games for United and he’s “average as feck” in at least 80% of his games. He has one world class game against Leeds each season. Honestly, I thought Scott would be one of the players who would respond best to ETH’s coaching and look like a new player, but pre-season and these first two games have shown otherwise, unfortunately. He can’t even control a feckin ball, let alone pass it properly. We’ve seen him at his best(aforementioned Leeds games), but we mostly see him at his worse or near it.

Moreover, Garner is probably the only midfielder we have left who can play the holding role or the deepest midfield role. Hannibal (who has since been allowed to go on loan) can also replace McT’s minutes. Let McT go, we blood two youngsters who, on paper, can probably reach a higher level than McT, they can split his 2000+ minutes. Savage and Iqbal can get some in the cups as well.
Mitrovic went from 3 premier league goals to 43 in the championship the very next season. Yes he has started with 2 in 2 this year so we shall see. Solanke scored 30 goals in the championship.
TEAM of the season midfielders include: Ryan Yates, Phillip Billing, Oliver Skipp,

Jared Bowen from the age of 21 averaged 17 league goals per season. came into the premier league scored 1 in his first season (although only 13 games) then 8 in his second season. McTominay playing more advanced is going for 25

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If you can get Rabiot for the same fee, I guess that's good business. Sell him.

MrBest

Let's be honest, he's had decent games at Forest in the championship but hasn't shown anything near the required level to start for us.
I dont think anyone disagrees but where the issue for me is, Mctominay has had years of chances, how can we sell a youngster that has one of the most hypes in recent years, off so cheaply, ahead of Scott who will still be here.

MrBest

This just smells of panic and no strategy. We clearly had a budget at the start. Thee stench of desperation has been increasing massively as each week goes on, especially after 2 defeats which 6 conceded. Clubs are now free to times there asking price by 1.5 to get the best buck. Because of this, we have to sell Garner to raise the miss on budget, and probably because of no interest, Scott stays. I would say as things stands, experience aside, Garner is the better play and has a much high ceiling. In order to keep Scott, we will sacrifice a potential which I think will hit us in the future. If went on loan, I would be fine. If he was sold, my faith in Hag starts to wane. Nothing about who he has bought or interested in (from what we know) excites me apart from the ambitious signing of FDJ who I have no idea if will sign. I'm happy to back Hag, he was my fav option to manage for a while, but what I have seen to date, does not help my confidence. 10 weeks with the team we play like we played last week and lost 4 0, stupid starting line up, he wont drop Shaw, Maguire, Bruno or rashford despite others showing much more in pre season, weird signings although I like malacia, and tactics in his mind, not being played through the players. I dont trust anything atm.

tomaldinho1

I have zero issue if we sell him - I've honestly never thought he looked good enough. I would throw in a buy back clause, just in case.
This is the right attitude. Buy backs and sell on clauses on everyone going out the door who is young.

He looks tidy to me but not a lot more that you don’t see in most players, issue is McT is so bad we’re tricked into thinking he could do a job there but the truth is neither are good enough.

DevTheRed

Would rather he was loaned out if he isn’t going to get used.. at least it would put his value up for next summer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've watched six or seven of his matches over the last two years on his loans, and I've got to say he never really impressed me. Played the odd nice pass, but generally he just drifted through the games without really getting involved. If we can get a decent fee I'd sell rather than make the same mistake we made with Tuanzebe.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Should have left Garner with Forest, continue his development with them. I have always rated Garner, so I'm taking this as bad news.
This is what should have been done - left him develop a bit more with Forest..
Joel only knows about the oval ball.

Trequarista10

Sold to fund Rabiot. Cheers Joel.
This is my concern.

If we're selling him because we think it's best to get rid, ETH isn't keen and we don't think he will make it here - fine. But if we're simply looking at how can we raise funds to increase the transfer budget then I'm worried. Hopefully, any sale will include a buy back option or something. Knowing our luck, we'd sell him and he'll continue to progress and we'll want him back for like £50m.

gaffs

There must be an issue with Garner.

Ten Haag, and other managers and coaches, have seen him in training time and time again.

If he cant outshine McFred in training, then he cant be upto much.

mu4c_20le

Ten Haag, and other managers and coaches, have seen him in training time and time again.

This. It's all in the training, looks like he's been surpassed by the likes of Iqbal.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Sell him. Enough of holding onto players because of 'what if' scenarios & or in case they'll come back and haunt us.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
From what I've read, his stats in the Championship were actually pretty shit. So this could just be another case of wildly overrating an academy player.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
The

There is no issue with Jimmy personally- he’s a model pro. If ETH doesn’t fancy him then that’s on him. It’s his side, his style and ultimately his decision

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I've watched six or seven of his matches over the last two years on his loans, and I've got to say he never really impressed me. Played the odd nice pass, but generally he just drifted through the games without really getting involved. If we can get a decent fee I'd sell rather than make the same mistake we made with Tuanzebe.
Same. The main hype seemed to be due to assists from corners and free kicks last season.

Selling him while his stock is high is a good decision for once

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
From what I've read, his stats in the Championship were actually pretty shit. So this could just be another case of wildly overrating an academy player.
From watching him every week - his stats mean nothing - his value to our team was immeasurable. He proved his ability in our cup run.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
From watching him every week - his stats mean nothing - his value to our team was immeasurable. He proved his ability in our cup run.
I'll take your word for it since you actually watched him on a regular basis

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I’m disappointed he hasn’t had a proper chance, even though I’ve never actually seen him perform well when I’ve tuned in to watch Nottingham Forest games. He’s clearly praised enough so must have some talent in him that I just happen to miss.

Either way, Erik’s had ample opportunity to watch him in training and in pre-season. If he isn’t impressed by him, then I’m backing him.

Remember the geese

This is my concern.

If we're selling him because we think it's best to get rid, ETH isn't keen and we don't think he will make it here - fine. But if we're simply looking at how can we raise funds to increase the transfer budget then I'm worried. Hopefully, any sale will include a buy back option or something. Knowing our luck, we'd sell him and he'll continue to progress and we'll want him back for like £50m.
Agreed. We shouldn't be selling anyone the manager wants to keep. Definitely concerning if it's being enforced by Joel Glazer because he refuses to pay up.

RuudTom83

Haha next we will be hearing about Real Madrid wanting him! :rolleyes:

£15-£20 million would be decent business. United already have a mini list of young CM's on the books and none of them can help out much this season.

So it makes sense to sell if he can fetch a decent fee.

gaffs

The

There is no issue with Jimmy personally- he’s a model pro. If ETH doesn’t fancy him then that’s on him. It’s his side, his style and ultimately his decision
Yeah, not saying its a personality issue. ETH must just not think he is a fit.

It is a shame to have to get rid of a homegrown player and it hurts when we are potentially selling him at the same time as we bring in Rabiot, who has a poor rep.

Born2Lose

Swap deal with gallagher

Chelsea, Spurs.. shows how much the armchair scouts on here know. Probably the same people who thought we'd got a "generational talent" while not noticing no other big club was interested, even at a discount.

No interest from any other club it seems for Rabiot at £15m. Wonder why..

Last edited:

Castia

Forrest fan at work said he was absolutely brilliant and a huge part of their promotion. Selling a 21 year old prospect to buy Rabiot doesn’t sit well with me.

Mingus

I watched a lot of Forest's games last season and he has very good attributes. Positional discipline, a good long range pass, tough tackler etc. Unspectacular but an effective and crucial cog in their machine.

Where he may not fit EtH's model of a midfielder is his short range pass and move game. I would imagine EtH has seen the likes of Iqbal and Mainoo and thought "these players could suit my style".

I think he'd have been brilliant for Rangnick at the end of last season, alongside one of McFred, but I can understand it if others fit the philosophy better now.

Rex Banner

Does seem to be quite poor timing. I'm sure Forest would have been happy to buy him earlier in the window but they've already bought quite a few midfielders. Would they still be in for him?

Marwood

I've always liked him and want him to get a chance.

But you have to say the No.6 position at a big club is very rarely a young players role. It takes a bit more maturity.

If we sell and if we put in a buy back clause it might not be the worst thing. Assuming other midfielders are coming in.

Conor

People harping on about McTominay, it's pretty clear why we would sell Garner over him; he will be much easier to sell. Lower wages, less proof of how shit he is in the PL, and he's younger. Nobody is buying McTominay from us, without getting a serious deal.

We should be selling people like Garner sharpish if they aren't going to make it, it's what the top clubs do all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.