James Garner to Nottingham Forest - Loan watch 2020-21

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Hopefully he will play many games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Looked up Watford's current manager Vladimir Ivic and apparently he's a very defensive manager. I'd have preferred Garner go to a team who focussed on possession play, but, as long as he gets game time, then fair enough. Good luck to him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Good move. He will receive some support from Cleverley & Welbeck who came through from our academy as well.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Hope he will get regular minutes. Loans to clubs who go down and are naturally looking for immediate promotion can be tricky.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
So pleased for him to be getting regular game time. Perfect opportunity for him and great management to let him learn the mans game.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cleverley and Chalobah are Watford’s first choice, right? If he’s as good as we think he’ll get plenty game time.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Lad needs to take the next step up and hopefully this will do that. Playing the odd cup game and reserve football isn't helpful at this stage.

starman

Interesting move, I thought Waford already have a decent amount of midfielders and young players they wish to develop themselves. Not sure he's going to go straight in as a first teamer, or maybe they are going to have a biggest clear out than expected...

Last edited:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Hope Hughes and Capoue are both sold or he could end up spending lots of time on the bench.

Brand new manager with little experience with high expectations isn’t very reassuring either. Could easily get fired.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
He needs games there, been good for the reserves but the few times he's played for our first team he doesn't look ready yet. Hopefully this is the next step and not just sitting on the bench for most of it.

Dan_F

Not convinced by it. They might still sell a couple of players, but parachute payments mean they can definitely keep the high earners for another season to try and get back up.

I don’t necessarily think he needs to play every game for it to be a success, but fingers crossed it’s worthwhile.

Joseunited

Good move for Garner. Now we get to see if he really has the potential to play at the highest level. Watford should be challenging to go straight back up. If he gets plenty of game time then he'll have had a good season.

stu_1992

Will be a good move for him if he can get games as that's a high quality squad for the Championship. However the worrying part is some of their most high profile players are in that midfield position, so unless they leave he could face limited game time. Obviously competition for him is good, but we don't want to ensure he'll get a decent amount of games too. And hey, while we have a dialogue with Watford, why not make a cheeky enquiry for Sarr? If Sancho truly is a no-go this summer, we could do a lot worse.

Mark Pawelek

Hope Hughes and Capoue are both sold or he could end up spending lots of time on the bench.

Brand new manager with little experience with high expectations isn’t very reassuring either. Could easily get fired.
Even then, Watford still have Nathaniel Chalobah at DCM. I think it's likely that they brought in Garner so they could sell Hughes and Capoue.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Good luck to him! He’ll get a lot of experience working under several managers at Watford. :p

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Even then, Watford still have Nathaniel Chalobah at DCM. I think it's likely that they brought in Garner so they could sell Hughes and Capoue.
Yea, at least with just Chalobah and Cleverley they would probably get a decent rotation and he might be fine. Capoue and Hughes on top and he’d be fecked.

Read though that Hughes is injured until mid-October so that might stop any sale. He’s a guaranteed starter so fighting for one spot with Cleverley and Chalobah doesn’t seem a great loan tbh.

And that’s without the manager getting sacked.

Hopefully it goes well but I’m wary about this one.

SAFMUTD

I dont agree its a great move for him, I wish he had gone to some team where he would start every match. With the current Watford squad he's sixth or fifth choice at best in midfield.

Lets hope Watford sell some players in midfield so he can al least be a current rotation player, if not he will spend most of his time on the bench.

Banana Republic

......I wish he had gone to some team where he would start every match. With the current Watford squad he's sixth or fifth choice at best in midfield.....
In the past, too many of our youngsters have been loaned out to clubs where they've had little first team playing time.
Some of those loans have been mostly a waste of time, in terms of building first team playing experience.
It's hard to see how Garner will get much of a shot in that Watford side.
Meanwhile, that's a blow to the U-23's where we'll be left a bit light in CM, as far as age and physical presence is concerned.

flappyjay

Levitt is in league 1 with Charlton and I think his loan might end being more productive than this one.

SAFMUTD

In the past, too many of our youngsters have been loaned out to clubs where they've had little first team playing time.
Some of those loans have been mostly a waste of time, in terms of building first team playing experience.
It's hard to see how Garner will get much of a shot in that Watford side.
Meanwhile, that's a blow to the U-23's where we'll be left a bit light in CM, as far as age and physical presence is concerned.
I think a loan move is a smart decision, Garner is already 19 so I dont see the point on him getting another year at the U-23s, the championship is a better level for him and he should start showing good things there if he's going to make it here. But the club of choice is really important, as you said we've loaned multiple players in the past which turnout to be just squad players and didnt even get minutes hence their development stagnated.

I think its better to keep the youngsters instead of loaning them to a club where they're not guaranteed at least a decent chance to fight for minutes. The Chong loan is a great deal, I'm not sure about this one.

Shiva87

This is a great move. A squad of premier league players in the championship. Should be expected to win a lot of games, and if he can win a starting position - it will really bring him on leaps and bounds. Best of luck!

siw2007

Potentially a good move for him. He’s a talented young boy but the first team is just too big a leap for him at the moment, going somewhere else and playing football will help him bridge that gap. He doesn’t need to earn his spot in that team though!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
What's their CB situation like? He might even get minutes at the back from time to time. I seem to remember they played Mariappa as first choice last year and he's nothing more than decent, albeit a very good servant for them.

Alemar

We can assume than Garner will be a guaranteed starter, right?

If he isn’t in the championship team, his prospects wouldn’t look good...

patty123

Given how trigger happy they get, be very surprised if he is still there after halloween, so agree with the posters saying this was maybe the wrong club for him to progress.