James Garner to Nottingham Forest - Loan watch 2020-21

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I came across his dad on twitter and being nosey had a look at his account, I was shocked to see it full of Liverpool related stuff :lol:

Anyway, as we know who you support as a kid doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme once you get playing.
He’s from Birkenhead so no shock there

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
I watched the full game. He mostly played it very safe and nothing to make you think he's anything special. There's no way he is anywhere near United quality at the moment.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Another 90 minutes in a draw against Reading. Anyone watch it?

YAMS49

He's holding his own in a team lacking creativity/spark. Forest are solid & unspectacular which is weird considering the players they have at their disposal. Would need a loan to a Premier league team next season imo.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I watched some of this one and most of his previous appearances. Forest were getting pinned down, saw very little of the ball. Garner did nothing of note. He's good defensively for his age, but nowhere near Utd quality overall. He seemed to fit right in, definitely won't make it for Utd.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's holding his own in a team lacking creativity/spark. Forest are solid & unspectacular which is weird considering the players they have at their disposal. Would need a loan to a Premier league team next season imo.
Yeah, I agree that would be preferable.

I watched some of this one and most of his previous appearances. Forest were getting pinned down, saw very little of the ball. Garner did nothing of note. He's good defensively for his age, but nowhere near Utd quality overall. He seemed to fit right in, definitely won't make it for Utd.
It's perhaps hard to stand out and show your abilities in a team that's under the cosh. But their form has improved since he went there. I'm certain he'll at the very least be afforded the chance at United to see if he can cut it. And I hope he will.

Swedish_Plumber

Bit much to claim he definitely won’t make it. By all accounts he’s impressing and that’s all you can really ask for. If a team are getting pinned back like you say there’s not really anything you can do of note offensively.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Yeah, I agree that would be preferable.

It's perhaps hard to stand out and show your abilities in a team that's under the cosh. But their form has improved since he went there. I'm certain he'll at the very least be afforded the chance at United to see if he can cut it. And I hope he will.
I hope he gets a chance too! It's just that it's been a while since I've been this certain, usually I'm overly optimistic.

Bit much to claim he definitely won’t make it. By all accounts he’s impressing and that’s all you can really ask for. If a team are getting pinned back like you say there’s not really anything you can do of note offensively.
As mentioned I've watched a couple of Forest games (can do stuff on the job) and am basing my opinion on that. His technique is very far off UTD's standard. If he proves me wrong, which I hope, he's a late bloomer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Scoping out a Forest forum and they quite like him.

Bwuk

I hope he gets a chance too! It's just that it's been a while since I've been this certain, usually I'm overly optimistic.

As mentioned I've watched a couple of Forest games (can do stuff on the job) and am basing my opinion on that. His technique is very far off UTD's standard. If he proves me wrong, which I hope, he's a late bloomer.
Think your wrong. Garner will be a premier league player at the very minimum, but I think he’s got a good chance at making it at United.

We don’t have anyone like him in the squad.

Thiagoal

I think a loan like this where he has to really scrap is great for his development. Would be great if he got a loan at a possession based team next where he can really impose himself. We shall see

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think a loan like this where he has to really scrap is great for his development. Would be great if he got a loan at a possession based team next where he can really impose himself. We shall see
Was going to say the same myself, don't know how much he'll learn by playing for a relegation threatened side in the prem next season. Think he'd be better off getting experience in a team challenging for the title in the championship next season to get used to being in a side where his attacking contributions will be just as important.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Was going to say the same myself, don't know how much he'll learn by playing for a relegation threatened side in the prem next season. Think he'd be better off getting experience in a team challenging for the title in the championship next season to get used to being in a side where his attacking contributions will be just as important.
Swansea if they come up will be good for him I think. He shouldn’t stay at Forest. They are fecking awful.

RUCK4444

Yeah agree on this. We need to see what he’s capable of in a situation we face most weeks.

Abraxas

This seems a pretty good loan choice to me. If there are things for Garner to develop its on the physical side and really competing at a good level, intercepting the ball, working hard, and yes, getting on the ball for a side where he can make a difference compared to the deficiencies of team mates.

It's not so much about pinging passes around for a year, as the manager has stated numerous times he likes him and sees comparisons to Carrick, I think there is already a fair degree of optimism on that side of things. I think the idea would be to round his game out and get experience rather than necessarily slotting him into the perfect side to accommodate his abilities.

The comparison would be that Pellistri's loan was much stranger. It's fairly hard to say what the available options are and maybe it was the best but it looks odd. Going to a relegation threatened team is one thing, but then one in a completely different league that aren't playing much football giving him very little opportunity to even get on the ball. I think a far better player than Pellistri would struggle to take value from that situation.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

justsomebloke

I came across his dad on twitter and being nosey had a look at his account, I was shocked to see it full of Liverpool related stuff :lol:

Anyway, as we know who you support as a kid doesn't really mean much in the grand scheme once you get playing.
True. Just look at OGS. He grew up a Liverpool supporter too.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He was class today, controlled the game against a much better side, and stuck to the defensive side of the game when they were under pressure.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He passed the armband on to McKenna. He was class today on the ball. One long pass in particular was spectacular. Playing with Christie must be incredibly frustrating - he constantly shows for the ball and gets ignored. Christie has absolutely no interest in recycling the ball, going sideways or backwards. Either hoof it down the channel or kick and run.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He was class today, controlled the game against a much better side, and stuck to the defensive side of the game when they were under pressure.
Nice that a loan is going so well. Do you think Ole will integrate him into the squad next season?

Abraxas

Really good to hear. He's got a fantastic opportunity now because he does appear to offer qualities we could really use. Hopefully he can have a strong end to the season and we can reassess for next year whether he's ready to genuinely compete for a place.

dutchred

Probably. You just worry if we did buy another midfielder and he might get forgotten.
Thats a risk but on the other hand if he came back he might get a game now and then. I hope that the management team sees him a long term Carrick replacement. So if we keep Matic and Fred and Mac another year, Garner can continue his development elsewhere full time and be ready in season 22/23

izec

Loan to the PL next season. Then he is ready. Better to play regularly in the PL than play 10 games here, see Tuanzebe