James Garner

GueRed

Only caught the last 20 minutes of Forest/Blackbuurn. Garner was playing further up....breaking forward a lot.

Blackburn a goal down were often left open to the counter.
A better final pass from the Forest players and Garner would've added to his tally.

Eventually ended 2-0 Forest

forestfan

Supports
nottingham Forest
For what it's worth, I'm a forest st holder so thought you might want a few random thoughts from what I've seen.

Positives

Has ability going forwards and backwards. Defensively he has the courage in himself to reach out a telescopic leg and make an actual tackle rather than just hustling. Has managed to play in multiple roles for us with ease.

Going forward his range of passing is fairly self evident. Finish last night underlined the composure that he has.

He isn't big time but oozes the confidence of someone who knows he is good. He was getting 7 shades kicked put of him last night and went right to the line of nearly getting sent off but managed to retain his composure (just) to not succumb to blackburn plans to try and get us down to 10 men. Think there is a steeliness but level headed enough that I suspect you require as a standard in your players

Areas for development

Possibly that when we've done badly as a team this season (only a few games under cooper), garner probably hasn't grabbed the entire game by the scruff of the neck and lifted everyone. Hard sometimes to remember he is only 20 so hyper critical.

Summary

If he got no better, he would be a top performer for any team in the championship. I think in a decent side that is playing to a pattern that he is on board with he could easily play bottom half of the prem now.

As I say I am a forest fan So I am not sure the level he needs to be at to get in your squad.

To help his progress and ultimately see whether he will make the grade for you, I don't think you would learn enough from him being loaned back to the championship next season to take the plunge on playing him the following year. Then again he is only 20 and another season of developing that presence to basically run a game from midfield may be more beneficial for you deciding his long term prospects than having him face up against man city, liverpool on a week to week basis for a lower prem team. At 20 you should be in no rush but next season could be a massive one for his development.

I am so far from knowing what the key attributes for aspirational champions actually is (23 years since we were last in the prem) but I would say he certainly has a purpose about him that makes you think he can maximise his potential (wherever that is good enough to take him)

Reactions: SilentWitness

Pughnichi

For what it's worth, I'm a forest st holder so thought you might want a few random thoughts from what I've seen.

Positives

Has ability going forwards and backwards. Defensively he has the courage in himself to reach out a telescopic leg and make an actual tackle rather than just hustling. Has managed to play in multiple roles for us with ease.

Going forward his range of passing is fairly self evident. Finish last night underlined the composure that he has.

He isn't big time but oozes the confidence of someone who knows he is good. He was getting 7 shades kicked put of him last night and went right to the line of nearly getting sent off but managed to retain his composure (just) to not succumb to blackburn plans to try and get us down to 10 men. Think there is a steeliness but level headed enough that I suspect you require as a standard in your players

Areas for development

Possibly that when we've done badly as a team this season (only a few games under cooper), garner probably hasn't grabbed the entire game by the scruff of the neck and lifted everyone. Hard sometimes to remember he is only 20 so hyper critical.

Summary

If he got no better, he would be a top performer for any team in the championship. I think in a decent side that is playing to a pattern that he is on board with he could easily play bottom half of the prem now.

As I say I am a forest fan So I am not sure the level he needs to be at to get in your squad.

To help his progress and ultimately see whether he will make the grade for you, I don't think you would learn enough from him being loaned back to the championship next season to take the plunge on playing him the following year. Then again he is only 20 and another season of developing that presence to basically run a game from midfield may be more beneficial for you deciding his long term prospects than having him face up against man city, liverpool on a week to week basis for a lower prem team. At 20 you should be in no rush but next season could be a massive one for his development.

I am so far from knowing what the key attributes for aspirational champions actually is (23 years since we were last in the prem) but I would say he certainly has a purpose about him that makes you think he can maximise his potential (wherever that is good enough to take him)
Thanks for this. Have been paying some attention to this loan and he does appear to be developing nicely.

seems he’s playing more advanced these last few games but not having watched entire matches couldn’t say for certain.

playing further up is a worry for any return to us. DVB couldn’t get a sniff so can’t see Garner having any impact there.

I was hoping…and still hope he’ll be a deep lying playmaker. Seemed his trajectory was heading that way until recently?

I was convinced he’d make it. But then again I was convinced Cleverley would succeed after tearing it up for Watford in championship

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He'll likely be with the squad for the summer tour and hopefully he impresses enough to be part of the squad for the new season.

We need to find the blend between buying players via the transfer market and blooding the younger talented players. Or otherwise we'll keep hearing how the manager wasn't backed when he wanted x player.

forestfan

Supports
nottingham Forest
Thanks for this. Have been paying some attention to this loan and he does appear to be developing nicely.

seems he’s playing more advanced these last few games but not having watched entire matches couldn’t say for certain.

playing further up is a worry for any return to us. DVB couldn’t get a sniff so can’t see Garner having any impact there.

I was hoping…and still hope he’ll be a deep lying playmaker. Seemed his trajectory was heading that way until recently?

I was convinced he’d make it. But then again I was convinced Cleverley would succeed after tearing it up for Watford in championship

I think it relates to the nature of rhe championship which for all its improving quality still has a lot of hustle and bustle. Where we are right now, we can rely on somebody like colback/Ryan yates to break the game up and sit deepand get garner a little higher up but make no mistake he covers an awful lot of ground and really plays all over the pitch with ease.

If anything, it just underlines his flexibility rather than suggesting he is leaning towards being an attacking midfielder in his career. It just so happens that for us he is worth more to our system

I would say for united he could easily end up in the dm position, he plays that role with aplomb for us when required it just happens that the team is on a roll with how we are playing at the moment.

Maybe the answer is to get him back and bed Jim in the squad next year and get 15 games or so and really test him out.

it still feels you are a bit transitional in terms of where the club is and what it expects. Bringing Garner in as a project alongside declan rice would surely be the best of both worlds for united fans right?

Reactions: Fortitude

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
He'll likely be with the squad for the summer tour and hopefully he impresses enough to be part of the squad for the new season.

We need to find the blend between buying players via the transfer market and blooding the younger talented players. Or otherwise we'll keep hearing how the manager wasn't backed when he wanted x player.
Also, what's the point in spending big money on players like Mejbri, Kambwala, Amad, etc if you're just going to just buy a player in their position when they reach an age to join the first team.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Also, what's the point in spending big money on players like Mejbri, Kambwala, Amad, etc if you're just going to just buy a player in their position when they reach an age to join the first team.
Absolutely agree with you. We should take a sensible and measured approach to buying players that fits into a particular play style. And we should do that by having a plan to integrate some of the talented younger players in the coming months/years.

Sea-Cow

Positives

Areas for development

Summary

Thanks for this. Good to hear a positive review of his development.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I think it relates to the nature of rhe championship which for all its improving quality still has a lot of hustle and bustle. Where we are right now, we can rely on somebody like colback/Ryan yates to break the game up and sit deepand get garner a little higher up but make no mistake he covers an awful lot of ground and really plays all over the pitch with ease.

If anything, it just underlines his flexibility rather than suggesting he is leaning towards being an attacking midfielder in his career. It just so happens that for us he is worth more to our system

I would say for united he could easily end up in the dm position, he plays that role with aplomb for us when required it just happens that the team is on a roll with how we are playing at the moment.

Maybe the answer is to get him back and bed Jim in the squad next year and get 15 games or so and really test him out.

it still feels you are a bit transitional in terms of where the club is and what it expects. Bringing Garner in as a project alongside declan rice would surely be the best of both worlds for united fans right?
Nice posts.

Would be great if you could keep us posted.

Cheers.

forestfan

Supports
nottingham Forest
Another good game for Garner on Saturday. Composed finish and got about then place as you expect. Poor game on Tuesday which again showed he isn't quite there to get a game by the scruff yet but again the team didn't play well.

Zinkernagel started in place of yates which meant he wasn't pushed as far forward on Saturday which seems to be a big question for some of your fans.

Nothing much new to say really. Are there any particular aspects people are interested in?

Sea-Cow

Another good game for Garner on Saturday. Composed finish and got about then place as you expect. Poor game on Tuesday which again showed he isn't quite there to get a game by the scruff yet but again the team didn't play well.

Zinkernagel started in place of yates which meant he wasn't pushed as far forward on Saturday which seems to be a big question for some of your fans.

Nothing much new to say really. Are there any particular aspects people are interested in?
I am interested mainly in how he does defensively - does he look quick as he closes people down? Is he able to get in and win back possession in duels? Is he in the right place, etc?

Secondly how he does receiving the ball under pressure - is he "press resistant"? Thanks!

forestfan

Supports
nottingham Forest
I am interested mainly in how he does defensively - does he look quick as he closes people down? Is he able to get in and win back possession in duels? Is he in the right place, etc?

Secondly how he does receiving the ball under pressure - is he "press resistant"? Thanks!
I've been more impressed with that side of his game to be honest than his attacking input.

He "beats the press" to use the parlance of our times fairly often by shielding a pass and turning in to space. Clearly he us doing it against championship teams rather than say kanté but it often opens the full pitch up which is a skill you don't always see.

As mentioned above he does seem to find a tackle once he's been passed if that makes sense. So decent recovery in that sense but whether he could be winning the ball earlier I'm not sure, not really watched but I might look at that now.

Daft question. How much would nffc have to pay now to get him do you reckon? I know you are unlikely to sell but what you reckon would be a reasonable valuation? £15m?

sleepehead

I'm wondering if he ends up being more like Ruben Neves once he gets a little older. Not necessarily elite but can definitely bring some calmness to the midfield. He definitely has some passing range and I think his skill will allow him to control the tempo for a team. I still have my doubts about being in a top prem team. But he would definitely bring some balance for us now

NoPace

I've been more impressed with that side of his game to be honest than his attacking input.

He "beats the press" to use the parlance of our times fairly often by shielding a pass and turning in to space. Clearly he us doing it against championship teams rather than say kanté but it often opens the full pitch up which is a skill you don't always see.

As mentioned above he does seem to find a tackle once he's been passed if that makes sense. So decent recovery in that sense but whether he could be winning the ball earlier I'm not sure, not really watched but I might look at that now.

Daft question. How much would nffc have to pay now to get him do you reckon? I know you are unlikely to sell but what you reckon would be a reasonable valuation? £15m?
It depends entirely on the new manager. He might stick him in the first team or go with Hannibal and then look to move Garner on for money (maybe with a buyback clause) or put them both in, or think neither is good enough.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage

Difference between value and selling price there, I wouldn't sell him unless it was something stupid due to his age, nationality, potential and our gaping hole until he's at least been tried out. We aren't a selling club and don't need the money quite frankly, I can't think currently he's worth much more than £15m though until he has a season in the prem