James Garner

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

He’ll be the reason we’ll sell McTominay in a few seasons. He’s just a much better footballer. Whether he becomes a regular or not is still up in the air of course as he’s got a bit to work on physically.
Or we keep both as they are very different players! What a weird comment.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He’ll be the reason we’ll sell McTominay in a few seasons. He’s just a much better footballer. Whether he becomes a regular or not is still up in the air of course as he’s got a bit to work on physically.
It is like comparing Keane and Scholes, I know they were at a much higher level than Garner and McTominay but Keane and Scholes were as much different to each other as Garner and McTominay are. Another one, Fletcher and Carrick.

Garner and McTominay are not the same type of midfielder. Matic is on his last legs, Pogba is up in the air to stay, Fred is 28 (which by the time Garner is ready, Fred will be the 30 and will need replacing at some point), VDB won't be here much longer imo and doesn't play CM really anyway. Logically we can't replace Matic, Pogba and Fred without having to buy in other areas as well, so Garner and McTominay will most likely both be in the squad together.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's going to make it here. But where to next season? Brighton if they lose Bissouma? Would West Ham put him in their midfield pivot if they lose either Rice or Soucek? Even Leeds?

What's realistic here?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Perhaps. I'd rather he play for a club that's at least mid-table than fighting relegation. But maybe not realistic. I'm also tempted to keep him, but he obviously needs to continue playing.
Its about game time. Yeah we could easily send him to a mid table team and he will have limited opportunities. Send him to promoted team with a decent manager and he gets plenty of game time. Brighton would be perfect but they don't need him sadly

AKDevil

He's going to make it here. But where to next season? Brighton if they lose Bissouma? Would West Ham put him in their midfield pivot if they lose either Rice or Soucek? Even Leeds?

What's realistic here?
Get Rice ... offer them Lingard permanently and Garner on loan for a season?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Its about game time. Yeah we could easily send him to a mid table team and he will have limited opportunities. Send him to promoted team with a decent manager and he gets plenty of game time. Brighton would be perfect but they don't need him sadly
Aye, you might be right. Brighton may end up needing him, hopefully. And I wouldn't say no to Leeds, if they'd play him, but they've got a bit of cash so maybe not.

Get Rice ... offer them Lingard permanently and Garner on loan for a season?
I'd quite like that, but I think a lot of people on here don't rate Rice, or think he's overrated because he's English. If West Ham would play him, that would be a great move. It's definitely a positive to have more of a connection to the manager there.

In Rainbows

I’m not sure there is a big difference in how they were perceived in here. The big difference, I think, is how they appear to be perceived by the people inside the club. Garner was very early part of the first team for long periods of time. Probably as early as during Mourinhos time here.
I perceived Garner as a better talent than those even though I liked those players too. Garner had more ability on the ball.

Bwuk

I wouldn’t loan him out the more I see of him.

Neither Fred or McTominay can really do what he does.

AKDevil

Aye, you might be right. Brighton may end up needing him, hopefully. And I wouldn't say no to Leeds, if they'd play him, but they've got a bit of cash so maybe not.

I'd quite like that, but I think a lot of people on here don't rate Rice, or think he's overrated because he's English. If West Ham would play him, that would be a great move. It's definitely a positive to have more of a connection to the manager there.
I know, re the rating of Rice. Also not sure what we’ll do with Lingard if he keeps playing like this. I’m not fully sold on Rice. I can see what he’d be good at but wonder if there’s better for cheaper.

Adamsk7

It is like comparing Keane and Scholes, I know they were at a much higher level than Garner and McTominay but Keane and Scholes were as much different to each other as Garner and McTominay are. Another one, Fletcher and Carrick.

Garner and McTominay are not the same type of midfielder. Matic is on his last legs, Pogba is up in the air to stay, Fred is 28 (which by the time Garner is ready, Fred will be the 30 and will need replacing at some point), VDB won't be here much longer imo and doesn't play CM really anyway. Logically we can't replace Matic, Pogba and Fred without having to buy in other areas as well, so Garner and McTominay will most likely both be in the squad together.
In no way did I say they have the same play style but they do in fact play the same position. If McTominay was good enough to be an 8 at Utd then why have two managers now tried to convert him to a 6? He plays exclusively in a double pivot with Fred, mainly in big games or as a 6 in meaningless cup games. It has been VERY rare he’s been asked to play further forward and that’s because we should be striving for better, more creative players in those areas.

We will buy on the summer a starting 6 or an 8 (depending on Pogba) and I damn well hope either are better then Scott so he will fall further down the pecking order. What I mean by Garner replacing him is as the “good” player that plays semi regularly in midfield but is largely a squad player.To be back at the top we will need better players than either will turn out to be at their best so there will only be room for one of them. In two yrs do you think McT will sit regularly on the bench? I don’t.

Raven

Continuing to look fantastic, not sure where people are getting this notion that he's not physically ready, he's handling the championship easily in that sense, it's whether he'll be clever enough in his play to go up against far better players. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back here next season and playing more than Matic has this season but I'm sure pre season will give Ole a good idea of how he might fit into the squad or whether he needs another loan.

lysglimt

Scout
He is a better footballer, but McTominay has strengths which Garner will never get. McTominay has pace, tackling, heading and defensive strength - Garner has shooting, passing and vision - they are like night and day. Why would we not need both ?

Adamsk7

He is a better footballer, but McTominay has strengths which Garner will never get. McTominay has pace, tackling, heading and defensive strength - Garner has shooting, passing and vision - they are like night and day. Why would we not need both ?
Because we should be looking to upgrade on McTominay to get back to our best. I don’t think Garner is ever gonna be a nailed on starter for us and Scott shouldn’t be either so I honestly think it’ll get to the point where we can’t give them both games consistently. At this stage I’d rather keep the player that can pass the ball and is positionally aware.
I guess we’ll see in time. Obviously I’m a supporter and I’d love them both to be good enough but I think the fact that McTominay is being moulded in to a role he’s not suited for is a key indicator that as soon as we can get a better dedicated DM, we will and he’s never gonna be a starting 8 for us, no chance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Continuing to look fantastic, not sure where people are getting this notion that he's not physically ready, he's handling the championship easily in that sense, it's whether he'll be clever enough in his play to go up against far better players. I wouldn't be surprised if he's back here next season and playing more than Matic has this season but I'm sure pre season will give Ole a good idea of how he might fit into the squad or whether he needs another loan.
Agreed. Championship is just as, if not more physical.

rotherham_red

What's realistic here?
I wouldn't be opposed to him staying an extra season in the Championship - somewhere like Swansea or Brentford. In terms of the Prem, the obvious one is Norwich if Skipp goes back to Spurs (which he should do)

rotherham_red

Because we should be looking to upgrade on McTominay to get back to our best. I don’t think Garner is ever gonna be a nailed on starter for us and Scott shouldn’t be either so I honestly think it’ll get to the point where we can’t give them both games consistently. At this stage I’d rather keep the player that can pass the ball and is positionally aware.
I guess we’ll see in time. Obviously I’m a supporter and I’d love them both to be good enough but I think the fact that McTominay is being moulded in to a role he’s not suited for is a key indicator that as soon as we can get a better dedicated DM, we will and he’s never gonna be a starting 8 for us, no chance.
McTominay is a more than capable squad player here, and more importantly has a lot of room to grow. Garner is the better talent and should, if his progression continues, make it here but there's no reason why both can't be part of a successful Utd team.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Any chance of him sharing Matic's role next season? Great to see him doing so well at Forest, but his is hardly a position we're blessed in.

Given the additions we need this summer, does bringing Garner in allow us to focus on pressing issues such as ST, RW and CB?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
This is why if they aren’t playing you get them out on loan. He’s really come alive in the last few weeks scoring and assisting now as well as taking good care of the ball. Every match that he stands out in is one match closer to playing for us. A while back I asked if we would be looking to sign him based on what he’d shown so far and the answer was a general no. I’d say other clubs are starting to take notice now. Fair play to him. He looks very talented!

lysglimt

Scout
Can't agree with you - we need both. McTominay is madly underrated

Raven

Agreed. Championship is just as, if not more physical.
Exactly, my main concern is that CM/DM is probably the most difficult position to learn and there are very few players who are good enough to play in that position at the highest levels at 20. Garner is however an exceptional talent, he's already built like a man, his technique has never been in question and whenever I've seen him play, he's been very sound positionally. I'd love to see him back here next year, I think he's exactly the profile of midfielder we need, I hope he's ready.

Marwood

Exactly, my main concern is that CM/DM is probably the most difficult position to learn and there are very few players who are good enough to play in that position at the highest levels at 20. Garner is however an exceptional talent, he's already built like a man, his technique has never been in question and whenever I've seen him play, he's been very sound positionally. I'd love to see him back here next year, I think he's exactly the profile of midfielder we need, I hope he's ready.
I think he's still pretty scrawny and he's mid paced. To make it as a centre mid at the highest level I think you need something about you physically. Pace or some strength. You might just get away with neither if you're a genius on the ball but there's not many of them.

I am a big fan of his though and if he wants it enough he can get there in terms of strength. That should be the easy bit really.

Tallis

If we don’t buy a CM in the summer, I think it makes sense to add him to the senior team and give him minutes instead of Matic. If he looks off the pace, we can always send him on loan again in Jan but just discuss the plan with him upfront so his confidence is not shattered.

Zoo

I’m sure he’ll be looked at during preseason before a decision is made.

Raven

I think he's still pretty scrawny and he's mid paced. To make it as a centre mid at the highest level I think you need something about you physically. Pace or some strength. You might just get away with neither if you're a genius on the ball but there's not many of them.

I am a big fan of his though and if he wants it enough he can get there in terms of strength. That should be the easy bit really.
He does look a little scrawny but he's very strong on the ball and very press resistant as well. Just because he's wirey doesn't make him weak.

OverratedOpinion

Please stop.

The parts of our team that certain fans think are the issue is incredible.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
They are very different indeed one is physically stronger, yet can't figure out his positioning to save his life. The other on the other hand can win the ball back without being a wall of a player, is one or two classes above better passer than former. Excellent striker of the ball and positionally aware in and around oppo box too which will eventually get him many more goals despite starting deeper. Much better vision too.

There is pretty much nothing McT can beat Garner except fitness and strength now but as mentioned earlier strength is pretty irrelevant if you can't figure positioning and know how to anticipate the ball. McT is tall but for such tall player he's below average in the air in both boxes. Even the last game he mistimed easy header at the back post... He's a player who showed everyone that you can be pretty much average at everything and with great will and determination can make it as a squad player at Manchester United for a little while and we should always keep that in mind but make no mistake don't ever compare him to the likes of Fletcher who was much more talented footballer. I think once Garner gets to full speed and growns into his body he will be here to replace McTominay who neither is a good DM and very average B2B. It will take time because Garner is not ready yet but in ideal world you need more talented players for the team who aspire to be absolute best in the world. I mean it won't be just Garner, there are some superb or more talented CMs in the academy who will displace him soonif we don't go straight into the market and buy another palyer who will push him down the pecking order. And it will be well done but even him will wanna paly and perhaps do well to show his worth in a midtable/lower league club like many players before who couldnt make it to the top.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Must say I am more impressed by his latest performances and more convinced than in the beginning. He's that sort of a clever player who won't rely on his physicality but still I think it would be wise to let him play one more season of senior football to get his confidence up. Last time he got his chance in the first team he looked frightened and far from ready. It could be different now but still playing 50 games per season in the championship or 30 games in the prem if we could get a loan like this would be much better than 10+ cup games for us where he's in and out of the team. Just my view of him.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

McFred will be replaced by him with ease just looking at clips. The thing that impress me is ability not to be phased when being pressed.
Well he typologically he will replace Matic as a CM/DLP. McTominay will become more fringe player. Not sure how he could easily replace our only defensively brilliant midfield Fred if he puts up the same numbers as Fred he will be the best midfielder in the league with his offensive attributes.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

They are very different indeed one is physically stronger, yet can't figure out his positioning to save his life. The other on the other hand can win the ball back without being a wall of a player, is one or two classes above better passer than former. Excellent striker of the ball and positionally aware in and around oppo box too which will eventually get him many more goals despite starting deeper. Much better vision too.

There is pretty much nothing McT can beat Garner except fitness and strength now but as mentioned earlier strength is pretty irrelevant if you can't figure positioning and know how to anticipate the ball. McT is tall but for such tall player he's below average in the air in both boxes. Even the last game he mistimed easy header at the back post... He's a player who showed everyone that you can be pretty much average at everything and with great will and determination can make it as a squad player at Manchester United for a little while and we should always keep that in mind but make no mistake don't ever compare him to the likes of Fletcher who was much more talented footballer. I think once Garner gets to full speed and growns into his body he will be here to replace McTominay who neither is a good DM and very average B2B. It will take time because Garner is not ready yet but in ideal world you need more talented players for the team who aspire to be absolute best in the world. I mean it won't be just Garner, there are some superb or more talented CMs in the academy who will displace him soonif we don't go straight into the market and buy another palyer who will push him down the pecking order. And it will be well done but even him will wanna paly and perhaps do well to show his worth in a midtable/lower league club like many players before who couldnt make it to the top.
I love Garner but your assessment is nonsense until we see him vs Premier league players. I genuinely hope he can reach his potential.

You are also vastly underrating McTominay. I get it, I believe there are better out there but I love the boy and think he adds a lot to this squad. Its interesting you compare him to Fletcher, considering Scott has scored more goals this season than Darren ever did in any campaign. Season isn't even over!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I love Garner but your assessment is nonsense until we see him vs Premier league players. I genuinely hope he can reach his potential.

You are also vastly underrating McTominay. I get it, I believe there are better out there but I love the boy and think he adds a lot to this squad. Its interesting you compare him to Fletcher, considering Scott has scored more goals this season than Darren ever did in any campaign. Season isn't even over!
What people were saying about Bellingham before he went Dortmund, we need to give Garner a chance our squad is lacking in his skillset

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

What's realistic here?
I'd send him back to Forest, big risk to send him somewhere new where he might not get games