James Garner

Discussion in 'Reserve/Youth Forum' started by RussellWilson, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2019

RussellWilson Full Member

He's very talented but central midfield is tough for a very young player to go straight into.

Fabregas is the only teenager I can remember coming in at premier league level in central midfield and really thriving.

Even Scholes with all his talents played as more of a 10 before playing in central midfield.

Can anyone name any others? I think it's usually early 20s before they're really ready. From a physical and tactical stand point because there's just so much going on in the middle.
  2. Aug 14, 2019

Raven Full Member

I really like the look of Garner, tall and gangly but still very silky, like an old school footballer, good name too.
  3. Aug 14, 2019

Tarrou Full Member

Scholes didn't even play as a teenager iirc

edit: looked it up, he did make his debut just before turning 20
  4. Aug 14, 2019

NoPace Full Member

The reason to pay the big money for Rice would probably be if we think we're going to switch between 4 and 3 at the back, but our fullbacks are better defensively than going forward so I don't really see it.

Of the top 6, I think Rice suits Arsenal best. They generally need athleticism and power at DM and CB and he gives you that and Emery likes to have the option of going 3 at the back with Lacazette and Aubameyang (or maybe Pepe for one) up top. When they're playing 4 at the back I think Rice-Torreira or Rice-Guendouzi look like good fits as partnership. If Arsenal can get a continental side to pay 25M for Xhaka and get Rice for 65M that might well be good business.
  5. Aug 14, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

Couple of highlight videos of his last 2 seasons. He's definitely got what it takes to make it here for me. Hoping he gets a chance of stepping up this year at times, as even though he's not as far along in his development as the other 3 youngsters, he has got a defined position and it's somewhere we are short.

6. Aug 14, 2019

RedTiger Full Member

The way he makes the passes look effortless
  7. Aug 14, 2019

P-Nut fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I love the way he rotates possession to open up angles for forward passes. Definitely a player that has benefitted from the more continental style of coaching in English youth set ups in recent years.
  8. Aug 14, 2019

Scholsey2004 Full Member

Levitt looks more of a CAM to me. He's quite small for a CDM.
  9. Aug 14, 2019

meamth Full Member

He needs to fill his body frame this season.

Work hard kid, get those muscles and we can see him graduate.
  10. Aug 14, 2019

jeepers New Member

I like him, I really like him and I hope he gets solid minutes in first team games this season. I like how he looks to continue play with some of his tackles, I like how he is always looking to pass forward. His range/weight of passing is quite excellent for a lad his age. Seems to have a decent reading of the game as well. But then again it’s always easy to get excited by our youth players who stand out. I really liked Possebon and look where he is now, although he was also plagued by injuries. Maybe I should like our players less..?
  11. Aug 14, 2019

ATXRedDevil Full Member

Each time I watch highlights of his I come away more convinced he’s going to be an absolutely top class player. I know it’s youth/reserve football, but passing is passing (acknowledging time in the ball helps), and this kid has impeccable weight of pass, striking technique and range. He looks surprisingly agile for the profile of player he is, too. Can’t wait to see him get some games in the cups this season.
  12. Aug 14, 2019

Dan_F Full Member

I wouldn’t be against dumping Matic and signing an over 28 year old to help Garner develop. Like above, ideally this would have been Matic, but it seems like he’s really fallen off a cliff right now.
    If the coaches really believe in him, then it seems pointless to go all out and spend £70 million on someone who plays there.
  13. Aug 14, 2019

Bestietom Full Member

Matic is slower than slow, so let's give Garner the chance. Bring him in gradually, until he is ready for every game.